Irons shaft fitting , critique my choice

Hi guys , I just had a club fitting @ Kustom Clubs in Manchester Nh , top 100 fitter

I am 15 handicap , id say primarily due to losing balls off tee ( I can shoot in 70s by playing irons only from tees , but that’s no fun )

So anyway , About me 109-115mph driver swing

92-96mph 6 iron ( what I was testing on )

I have most recently been playing Adams xtd forged CBs , had used c-tapers but snapped off 5 heads right above hosel , KBS replaces these with KBS TOUR X-Stiff

End of last season I got a set of Miura 501cb irons , with DG tour issue x100s , I played 5 rounds and my distance felt slightly shorter than my KBS tours but I thought it may also be the irons.

I’ve been playing indoors on simulator since December , and have been noticing I really really really had to feel like I’m swinging super hard to get my “stock” distances with my clubs , my stock 6 is 185-195 carry , or was.

So I called Ken up to do a fitting , he used mizuno analyzer and then just started handing me different shaft setups irons and asking me to not even really look

In his setup you can’t see ballflight or anything so all you try to do is make good swings and he calls you over at end.

We hit probably 200 shots through process before narrowing it down to C-taper & Project X below is averages from my fitting

C taper S 120 - 187 carry , 188 total , 92.9 club , 1.32 smash , 4490 rpm , 17.4 launch , 100ft apex

Project x 6.0 - 181 carry 181 total , 93.5 club , 1.28 smash , 4619rpm , 17.3 launch , 93ft apex

Tour issue x100 - 167 carry 168 total , 93 club , 1.23 smash

Also fitted was , project X LZ 6.5 , modus 120x and AMT X100 , basically all identical to x100 numbers which was really surprising , I thought I would be walking out in LZs

Here’s where it got really neat.

My c tapers had a dispersion distance wise of 167-204 , and a horizontal dispersion of 31 yards ( I only hit fades so this was consistent with my shot shape I prefer , but some were huge )

project x’s were 175-190 , with a horizontal dispersion of 12 yards , 12 yards!

I had originally chosen the c-tapers but after sitting and going over my fitting some more I called him back for the project X

Can someone help tell me WHY they were so much tighter for me? My normal shot is a straight fade , I just aim left and hit basically dead straight blocks that die to the right

Also I was concerned that the c-tapers may all snap off on me again and that was a relief with the PX6.0s as well

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone help tell me WHY they were so much tighter for me? My normal shot is a straight fade , I just aim left and hit basically dead straight blocks that die to the right

That's not an easy one to answer specifically but the simple answer is that different 'feels' from the shaft - whether due to weight or the stiffness profile and how they react to your swing, can and do cause variations in the swing itself.

It would be good to get a little more spin out of a 6 iron too. Don't get obsessed with distance it isn't always the answer.

I wouldn't worry about that at this point. The spin will go up significantly once he moves outdoors onto actual grass instead of hitting off of a mat.

My ballstriking is about one of my only saving graces , I do a trackman combine about every 2 months during season

Biggest weakness is wedges , 60-120 , and driver in terms of score , wedges being an average of about

40 score

Starting at 140-180 yds my average was 72

Driver was 33

I’ve been working on wedges a lot all winter but it’s hard to tell on a simulator , my average scores have dropped into about 79-83 range though in the league I play

Is it just piss poor contact causing the low smash ? Because the ball flight was more or less good , I did hit some kind of toey which ended up further right , but much more minimal than with the c tapers

You need different more forgiving heads with some tech bc your smash is poor. Prob a bogey golfer bc of poor ball striking not losing balls off the tee.

Can you expand how more tech would increase smash factor and not just adjusting my swing?

I can hit a draw but I like the control of a straight / push fade , could this be lowering it? I also have a tendency to get REALLY steep ( -8* ) so I’ve been working on flattening my swing to bring it down to -3* , my miss is normally a slight toe which results on just a fanned out fade , i had struggled with hooks last season so spent a lot of time trying to eliminate this

You need different more forgiving heads with some tech bc your smash is poor. Prob a bogey golfer bc of poor ball striking not losing balls off the tee.

Can you expand how more tech would increase smash factor and not just adjusting my swing?

I can hit a draw but I like the control of a straight / push fade , could this be lowering it? I also have a tendency to get REALLY steep ( -8* ) so I've been working on flattening my swing to bring it down to -3* , my miss is normally a slight toe which results on just a fanned out fade , i had struggled with hooks last season so spent a lot of time trying to eliminate this

I think what he means is with a 6i smash factor that low, you are likely missing the center of the club face a bit more than you assume you are. Generally speaking, 1.39 to 1.40 would be the target. However, if you fitter was using a simulator or low end launch monitor, you can take the smash factor numbers with a boulder size grain of salt.

917D2 9.5 w/S+

2 x TS2 @ 16.5 and 21

2 x 818 H1 @ 22 and 26 w/AD-DI 95

ZX5 6i and ZX7 7i-PW - Modus 105

SM7 50-12, Vokey Forged 56-12K, SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

This was using FORESIGHT , hitting off mats , also I wasn’t hitting my irons I was hitting mizuno mp18 SC since it was easiest to swap around shafts in

I’ll do a trackman combine at beginning of season and see where it pans out

I feel I’m normally hitting pretty good on ball face , I spray all my irons with dr scholls when I’m playing indoors in winter so I can kind of keep track of how I’m hitting

I’ll post some numbers updates once I have shafts in bag

I was most impressed by the huge decrease in dispersion is what sold me on it

This was using FORESIGHT , hitting off mats , also I wasn't hitting my irons I was hitting mizuno mp18 SC since it was easiest to swap around shafts in

GC2 without an HTM unit doesn't measure club head speed. So if that's the case, ignore the smash factor it pumps out. The number is assumed and comes purely from what club you tell it your hitting, not anything about the actual strike.

Second, even if was giving an accurate smash factor, for irons, the dynamic loft delivered plays a big part in what smash factor you get - so it's not only an indication of the quality of strike. If you want to test the quality of the strike, the best way is to use face impact tape or foot powder spray (although some LM's like HMT will give you face impact location).

I looked at higher clubhead speed , and the slightly lower Apex + the super tight dispersion as the main selling points

I felt like I was compressing the balls well , and I think 185ish carry with a 6 iron is pretty good? These were very controlled smooth swings , I wasn’t trying to s*** my pants every swing

I have access to a trackman but the club doesn’t have an area I can hit it indoors , so can’t use until snow melts ;(