2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

Really stupid to argue the merits of a ball that suits a person's game. If club fitting can help so much to a persons game why can't ball fitting?. Personally I don't whether it's the AVX or not but my handicap has dropped from 12 to 8 in the last month since I started using the AVX. Just more confidence standing over the ball and more distance with every club, keep hitting a few over the green as I can't believe how far it really goes.I'm 65 yrs old and played for 35yrs so this isn't my first rodeo and my playing companions thought I took secret lessons to hit it better. Not for everyone but this ball has changed my game FWIW.

All aside. I guess I don’t understand why some (especially on a forum) bring shade to another’s fortune. Instead, they look for ways to bring it down and tell you that it’s comparable to many balls already offered. Just as much equipment is comparable to other offerings. So what? It feels and performs better than any balls tried. What I do buy is what I feel and see with the AVX compared to other offerings and that’s what counts. Why would I kick a sleeping dog? Why would I attempt to disrupt the continued positive trend? So I can save a few dollars and lose the preferred nuances I have with the AVX?

Oh wait, the guy on the Internet forum told me it’s not the ball. Feel/results and playing the best golf of your life don’t go hand in hand. Got ya..

I didn’t see anyone trying to ‘bring shade to your fortune’. All I saw was people question you when you suggested that it was entirely due to the ball.

Put it a different way. Before you had your magic AVX run, would you think it is logically possible for someone to perform significantly better (over a consistent period) purely just by changing a golf ball?

But the thing is I never even suggested that it was purely the golf ball. No where did I ever write that the AVX was the sole purpose for me playing better golf. I did say my handicap drop and that I game an AVX (Yes, I did say this to support that I feel the AVX is a substantial variable). I also said many times that it saves me 1-4 strokes a round when hitting the golf ball solid which I feel is significant.

Do you see some where where I posted that my drop in handicap is due to purely the golf ball? Or did you take this from someone else who claims I said this or better, from what I’ve wrote?

Again, I’ve said the AVX improves my scores within a set range of strokes when playing well (I’ve figured any where within 1-4 shots as I continue to improve). Again, I also said my handicap drop and that I play the AVX (don’t add to this and make up that I said a ball is the sole purpose for my success). Again, never did I once say the ball was the sole purpose. You and a few others drew this assumption based on me saying that I believe the AVX is a game changer because it saves me from what I believe to be a significant range of strokes when playing well. Have I had strong opinions that the AVX has a significant impact (game changer) as far as nuances of this ball vs others available? Absolutely..

EDIT:

GG, forgot to answer your last question. "Before you had your magic AVX run, would you think it is logically possible for someone to perform significantly better (over a consistent period) purely just by changing a golf ball?''

My answer is no. I've said before in this thread that you don't know confidence until you have it. I've certainly found that in a golf ball believe it or not. I will say though that meeting the AVX has taught me something. It's taught me not to judge others claims with golf equipment. Reason is; I would have never guessed the AVX would have given me as much improved gains as it has (whether that be from a confidence stand point and/or performance of the AVX paired with ideal equipment). Once again, there are many variables going on here and it's not just the AVX. But has the AVX aided the positive trend along this journey? Absolutely.

I have no problem with how people spend their money . I do agree however the AVX was put to compete with B330RX, CS and Project A ball segment.

Having played them all there is not much difference in performance. It’s all about price point for me (and I like the Truvis pattern for short game focus) but everything else is all very similar.

If you like Titleist products and don’t mind paying up to $48 for the ball more power to you. Myself, I am still playing last years CS and last years Project A as they both were available for $28 or less.

It seems most people who have claimed to AVX changed their game were already playing a Titleist. I do not recall a Bridgestone or Project A lover gushing over the AVX.

Just my $0.02

I went from B 330/ Tour to AVX and not looking back. I personally have not liked the pro v due to too much spin. Loving this ball. I agree on price BUT I have never been one to not drop $ on something that may help my game lol. #hoeforlife

I have no problem with how people spend their money . I do agree however the AVX was put to compete with B330RX, CS and Project A ball segment.

Having played them all there is not much difference in performance. It’s all about price point for me (and I like the Truvis pattern for short game focus) but everything else is all very similar.

If you like Titleist products and don’t mind paying up to $48 for the ball more power to you. Myself, I am still playing last years CS and last years Project A as they both were available for $28 or less.

It seems most people who have claimed to AVX changed their game were already playing a Titleist. I do not recall a Bridgestone or Project A lover gushing over the AVX.

Just my $0.02

I went from B 330/ Tour to AVX and not looking back. I personally have not liked the pro v due to too much spin. Loving this ball. I agree on price BUT I have never been one to not drop $ on something that may help my game lol. #hoeforlife

I’m always curious when people say they get “too much spin” from a golf ball. So were you spinning wedges back 20 feet or were you slicing it into the next fairway?

If someone put a Callaway or Bridgestone stamp on the AVX it would somehow play different than the one with the Titleist stamp. Stamp would be a “GAME CHANGER!â€

How’s your game progressing? What ball do you play? Let’s talk about your game for awhile. Enough about mine. I’m trending in the right direction with my equipment and ball. How about you? Do you have 35+ rounds where you’ve seen constant improvement? Or do you just comment on others that have had that success and since you haven’t had that, you throw shade and say it’s not possible in any effect due to a ball?

Keep in mind. I’m assuming this about you. As you have made assumptions about me. But really trying to figure out your ultimatum here. Other than you hate Titleist? Is that what it’s about?

Keep in mind. I’ve played a ProV in the past (not even all the time) but that’s the only Titleist equipment ever gamed by me. I was not biased here towards Titleist balls. I am now with the AVX.

If someone put a Callaway or Bridgestone stamp on the AVX it would somehow play different than the one with the Titleist stamp. Stamp would be a “GAME CHANGER!”

How’s your game progressing? What ball do you play? Let’s talk about your game for awhile. Enough about mine. I’m trending in the right direction with my equipment and ball. How about you? Do you have 35+ rounds where you’ve seen constant improvement? Or do you just comment on others that have had that success and since you haven’t had that, you throw shade and say it’s not possible in any effect due to a ball?

I played today and shot 74. Had one bad drive that led to a double. Had a 3 putt and failed to get up and down twice. Had 3 birds...one was a kick in, one was about 15 footer, and one was par 5 2 putt. I played the entire round with a TM project (a). The ball had little to with it because I play pretty much the same with CS, CSx, Vice Pro Soft, Prov1(x) etc. Sure some play a little different but none add or save me shots. I guess my main gamer ball is a CS but I like to play other balls as well. I played an AVX for a few holes weeks ago and it played similar to the CS and project (a). I’d say the project a spins the most with the CS second and AVX last. Distance isn’t discernible. Trajectory isn’t discernible. Just the spin and it’s not drastic. The reason I don’t play ProV1(x) is because they spin too much with the wedges for me. I don’t need to rip it back much.

Having played them all there is not much difference in performance. It's all about price point for me (and I like the Truvis pattern for short game focus) but everything else is all very similar.

If you like Titleist products and don't mind paying up to $48 for the ball more power to you. Myself, I am still playing last years CS and last years Project A as they both were available for $28 or less.

Just my $0.02

I'm always curious when people say they get "too much spin" from a golf ball. So were you spinning wedges back 20 feet or were you slicing it into the next fairway?

lol, both. lack of roll on driver, lots of side spin on driver, and i can spin a 9 iron 30 feet off a green..... this ball has helped all those parameters and i've gained a club in length.

Just my $0.02

I’m always curious when people say they get “too much spin” from a golf ball. So were you spinning wedges back 20 feet or were you slicing it into the next fairway?

I play the AVX and love it. With Pro V’s I’ll spin back wedges 5-10 feet and I just want them to stay where they hit...a lot of the courses I play have greens sloping back to front. Also, I like playing a fade with my driver and my miss is an over cut. AVX is a tiny bit longer on most shots but my miss, over spin cut, I’m carrying 285 compared to 270.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

Yep. You are right. There are plenty of factors other than a golf ball. It’s impact is limited.

Since when did 1-4 shots a round bring no meaning to your game?

So a golf ball on its own is entirely responsible for you dropping 1-4 shots per round?

How does it do this?

How have you measured this?

With the right paired equipment yes, it does. I switched from equipment the same time with the AVX. Came from an iron that was better than me and the ProV/CS/NXTTour at that time. Went to more forgiving irons and paired with the AVX I saw straighter shots, shorter irons/wedges into greens, and better short game control. Not to stop there, it also provided some forgiveness off the tee (straighter shots on slight mishits) as well as better trajectory and longer drives.

So yes, with better suited equipment the AVX performs. Never did I say the AVX completed this feat on its own. But I owe a lot to the entire switch. Not only on full shots but this ball is better than anything I’ve tried as far as short game performance vs others. I measure the success of the AVX with my equipment based on my handicap change, 11.8 to 4.3. Im now a 4.3 on a very difficult golf course when my best index ever was 4.5 on a very easy golf course. Playing a lot of golf aside; I have a very hard time when people on here say the AVX hasn’t had a substantial impact on my game because the ball is feel, golf is feel, and the course I play requires getting up and down around these small turtle back greens on almost all holes. The AVX simply has given me many more opportunities from the green side than anything I’ve ever tried.

Do I have a scientific ruler to measure the success of the AVX paired with my equipment? No; all I can do is prove it to myself with my scoring, preferred nuances of this ball vs others I’ve tried and I’ve certainly showed that in my scoring.

Does anyone have a “ruler” to know that anything in there bag is truly the best? I think that’s why golf scores are posted.

If someone put a Callaway or Bridgestone stamp on the AVX it would somehow play different than the one with the Titleist stamp. Stamp would be a “GAME CHANGER!”

I played today and shot 74. Had one bad drive that led to a double. Had a 3 putt and failed to get up and down twice. Had 3 birds...one was a kick in, one was about 15 footer, and one was par 5 2 putt. I played the entire round with a TM project (a). The ball had little to with it because I play pretty much the same with CS, CSx, Vice Pro Soft, Prov1(x) etc. Sure some play a little different but none add or save me shots. I guess my main gamer ball is a CS but I like to play other balls as well. I played an AVX for a few holes weeks ago and it played similar to the CS and project (a). I’d say the project a spins the most with the CS second and AVX last. Distance isn’t discernible. Trajectory isn’t discernible. Just the spin and it’s not drastic. The reason I don’t play ProV1(x) is because they spin too much with the wedges for me. I don’t need to rip it back much.

So we’ve basically played the same balls but one claims no difference and the other the best ball they’ve ever played. That can happen, it’s called preference.

Yep. You are right. There are plenty of factors other than a golf ball. It’s impact is limited.

So a golf ball on its own is entirely responsible for you dropping 1-4 shots per round?

How does it do this?

With the right paired equipment yes, it does. I switched from equipment the same time with the AVX. Came from an iron that was better than me and the ProV/CS/NXTTour at that time. Went to more forgiving irons and paired with the AVX I saw straighter shots, shorter irons/wedges into greens, and better short game control. Not to stop there, it also provided some forgiveness off the tee (straighter shots on slight mishits) as well as better trajectory and longer drives.

So yes, with better suited equipment the AVX performs. Never did I say the AVX completed this feat on its own. But I owe a lot to the entire switch. Not only on full shots but this ball is better than anything I’ve tried as far as short game performance vs others. I measure the success of the AVX with my equipment based on my handicap change, 11.8 to 4.3. Im now a 4.3 on a very difficult golf course when my best index ever was 4.5 on a very easy golf course. Playing a lot of golf aside; I have a very hard time when people on here say the AVX hasn’t had a substantial impact on my game because the ball is feel, golf is feel, and the course I play requires getting up and down around these small turtle back greens on almost all holes. The AVX simply has given me many more opportunities from the green side than anything I’ve ever tried.

Do I have a scientific ruler to measure the success of the AVX paired with my equipment? No; all I can do is prove it to myself with my scoring, preferred nuances of this ball vs others I’ve tried and I’ve certainly showed that in my scoring.

Does anyone have a “ruler” to know that anything in there bag is truly the best? I think that’s why golf scores are posted.

Sounds like you’ve only ever used AVX since your equipment change. Is that right?

Yep. You are right. There are plenty of factors other than a golf ball. Its impact is limited.

How does it do this?

So yes, with better suited equipment the AVX performs. Never did I say the AVX completed this feat on its own. But I owe a lot to the entire switch. Not only on full shots but this ball is better than anything Ive tried as far as short game performance vs others. I measure the success of the AVX with my equipment based on my handicap change, 11.8 to 4.3. Im now a 4.3 on a very difficult golf course when my best index ever was 4.5 on a very easy golf course. Playing a lot of golf aside; I have a very hard time when people on here say the AVX hasnt had a substantial impact on my game because the ball is feel, golf is feel, and the course I play requires getting up and down around these small turtle back greens on almost all holes. The AVX simply has given me many more opportunities from the green side than anything Ive ever tried.

Do I have a scientific ruler to measure the success of the AVX paired with my equipment? No; all I can do is prove it to myself with my scoring, preferred nuances of this ball vs others Ive tried and Ive certainly showed that in my scoring.

Does anyone have a ruler to know that anything in there bag is truly the best? I think thats why golf scores are posted.

Sounds like youve only ever used AVX since your equipment change. Is that right?

I did try CS, ProV, ProVX, and NXT Tour with the new irons and same gamed wedges. Very limited time with these balls and the new woods I obtained this spring. Granted, I have not spent as much time with the new equipment with those balls as I have the 35 rounds with the AVX now. However, I base my pick of a ball primarily of what the ball is doing inside of a 100 yards. If I gain even more contributions outside of this distance like I have with the AVX then it’s icing on the cake.

I’ve played the BRX the thing literally falls out of the air on a well hit drive for a higher SS player.. this argument is so dumb, Bridgestone doesn’t have a ball in its line up than plays like an AVX, if The Bridgestone BX and BRX had a baby then Maybe that would be the AVX

All I can say about AVX, WOW! Too perfect for me better than Pro V. The V1 and V1x balls didn't perform well with Ben Hogan Ft Worth Black irons so went with AVX right away before the match play tourney. Now I am in the championship bracket with full confidence! I guess it depends on golf equipment especially putter.

13.5 BRNR | 18* G430 5W | 22* G430 4H
P7TW 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

I did try CS, ProV, ProVX, and NXT Tour with the new irons and same gamed wedges. Very limited time with these balls and the new woods I obtained this spring. Granted, I have not spent as much time with the new equipment with those balls as I have the 35 rounds with the AVX now. However, I base my pick of a ball primarily of what the ball is doing inside of a 100 yards. If I gain even more contributions outside of this distance like I have with the AVX then it’s icing on the cake.

That’s cool. I’m glad it works for you.

Because it hasn’t happened to me I can be a bit less emotional about it and as a result less subjective. Personally, I think you’ve overstated the role of the ball but if you think the ball has made that much of a difference then that’s all that matters.

At the end of the day you are allowed to have that view, just as I am allowed to question it.

Hope you keep hitting them well.

So we’ve basically played the same balls but one claims no difference and the other the best ball they’ve ever played. That can happen, it’s called preference.

Or it might be called confidence. You hit a few really good shots a round that you didn't hit formerly, and you feel better standing over the ball.

Bubba Watson won't blame the Volvik ball for his poor performance last year (he had some health issues), but he seems to be a lot more confident this year with his return to the ProV1x which is easier for him to shape.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Or it might be called confidence. You hit a few really good shots a round that you didn't hit formerly, and you feel better standing over the ball.

Bubba Watson won't blame the Volvik ball for his poor performance last year (he had some health issues), but he seems to be a lot more confident this year with his return to the ProV1x which is easier for him to shape.

Certainly, confidence in equipment (clubs/ball) is a major key.

I don’t buy the confidence thing especially in a golf ball but to each their own. There’s balls that fall in a number of performance categories that will perform the same with the same swing put on the ball. As for Bubba, volvik doesn’t make a PGA tour caliber ball and Bubba’s cash grab bit him. The ProV1x fits him but I’m sure he could play just as well with a TP5x or a couple other balls.

I don’t buy that there aren’t different players that find differences between golf balls thus finding something that helps them shoot better scores when paired with proper equipment. To each their own.

It’s like how I don’t tell you different that you should be seeing a difference with the AVX in play. Because you might not see a difference. Everyone is different, especially in relation to ones swing and their equipment being used to hit a said golf ball.

It’s no different than one of my playing partners. He hit my AVX in a alternate shot shoot out from his B330 and couldn’t tell a difference. He just played the ball as he normally does. He’s a good player. Some might not see a difference, but there are those that do.

I feel especially that if that difference is found around the greens and gets your confidence flowing through good shots and scoring; that said ball can be a game changer.

You keep saying “paired with the right equipment”. What does that even mean? There are no unicorn clubs just like there are no unicorn balls. There are so many clubs and balls and none are dramatically different in there respective categories. No golfer is such an anomaly that they can only use one ball and one set of clubs. If so they are in trouble. If AVX is the only ball that works for you it’s because you want it to.

I didn’t make myself clear... that’s on me. And if I am in the wrong, I’m sure several of you will kindly let me know... but is it possible for you all to take your personal argument elsewhere please?

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

You keep saying “paired with the right equipment”. What does that even mean? There are no unicorn clubs just like there are no unicorn balls. There are so many clubs and balls and none are dramatically different in there respective categories. No golfer is such an anomaly that they can only use one ball and one set of clubs. If so they are in trouble. If AVX is the only ball that works for you it’s because you want it to.

I agree , at least in the fact there are more than 1 shaft , ball etc that can work for each player.

I like the Rouge Silver or Fubuki K shaft equally.

I also like Project X and KBS as long as they aren’t too light.

So for each golfer there is probably at least 4 balls that would play similar , or close enough that any real difference is completely between the ears.

They say golf is 90% mental so I guess equipment preference is 99% lol

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

A few posts back it was mentioned that low/mid compression balls fly lower. Is that fact ? I seem to hit the Supersoft, Superhot Bold and Srixon Soft Feel higher than just about any other ball off the tee.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

A few posts back it was mentioned that low/mid compression balls fly lower. Is that fact ? I seem to hit the Supersoft, Superhot Bold and Srixon Soft Feel higher than just about any other ball off the tee.

Pretty much. The softer and lower the compression of the ball the lower it will launch and the lower it will fly. There’s different dimple patterns that can may change launch and trajectory but it will be very negligible.