2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

No golfer is such an anomaly that they can only use one ball and one set of clubs. If so they are in trouble. If AVX is the only ball that works for you it’s because you want it to.

Nike went to some pretty extreme lengths to make irons, wedges, putter, woods and golf ball for Tiger.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

You keep saying “paired with the right equipment”. What does that even mean? There are no unicorn clubs just like there are no unicorn balls. There are so many clubs and balls and none are dramatically different in there respective categories. No golfer is such an anomaly that they can only use one ball and one set of clubs. If so they are in trouble. If AVX is the only ball that works for you it’s because you want it to.

What does a ball paired with the right equipment mean? Simple, and a WRX favorite. IT WORKS. That means shaving my handicap down from a 12 to a near 4 now. That’s how I measure success through my golf bag and game, my handicap.

This is where me and you (as well as a few others) are on completely different wave lengths. I can’t imagine having a better combination or anything better for me at this point without sacrificing what the ball is doing off of driver to putter, thus affecting my improved scoring. My current setup I have continued to improve. I can’t see me doing that with any other equipment at this point. For the record, I don’t want my equipment to change but some day it will likely have to.

You see, I can’t agree with you. Logic to me at this point is sticking to what I have become accustomed to. Not getting ideas that there are possibly 4 other comparable sets that I could shoot similar scores with. From a confidence stand point; what good does that do my game to put my equipment in question that I’ve shot my best golf with? If anything, I feel having this thinking is a hindrance to my game at this point. Why you ask? Because I have complete confidence in my equipment. But you may not have this same confidence in your one bag. Or, you may have confidence in swinging 5 different bags of golf clubs/balls and feel your scores wouldn’t change. Not me.

No golfer is such an anomaly that they can only use one ball and one set of clubs. If so they are in trouble. If AVX is the only ball that works for you it’s because you want it to.

Nike went to some pretty extreme lengths to make irons, wedges, putter, woods and golf ball for Tiger.

Lol. Who in this thread is the best golfer ever? That’s a dumb comparison anyway as they were just rebranding clubs with a swoosh and not fitting him with something totally different. Absurd comparison.

You keep saying “paired with the right equipment”. What does that even mean? There are no unicorn clubs just like there are no unicorn balls. There are so many clubs and balls and none are dramatically different in there respective categories. No golfer is such an anomaly that they can only use one ball and one set of clubs. If so they are in trouble. If AVX is the only ball that works for you it’s because you want it to.

What does a ball paired with the right equipment mean? Simple, and a WRX favorite. IT WORKS. That means shaving my handicap down from a 12 to a near 4 now. That’s how I measure success through my golf bag and game, my handicap.

This is where me and you (as well as a few others) are on completely different wave lengths. I can’t imagine having a better combination or anything better for me at this point without sacrificing what the ball is doing off of driver to putter, thus affecting my improved scoring. My current setup I have continued to improve. I can’t see me doing that with any other equipment at this point. For the record, I don’t want my equipment to change but some day it will likely have to.

You see, I can’t agree with you. Logic to me at this point is sticking to what I have become accustomed to. Not getting ideas that there are possibly 4 other comparable sets that I could shoot similar scores with. From a confidence stand point; what good does that do my game to put my equipment in question that I’ve shot my best golf with? If anything, I feel having this thinking is a hindrance to my game at this point. Why you ask? Because I have complete confidence in my equipment. But you may not have this same confidence in your one bag. Or, you may have confidence in swinging 5 different bags of golf clubs/balls and feel your scores wouldn’t change. Not me.

Lol. Ok man you are definitely unique so I’m sure your game is as well.

Lol. Ok man you are definitely unique so I’m sure your game is as well.

Yes, just as everyone’s swing, equipment, and the way they think about or through a round of golf is unique. Part of what makes it a great game.

A few posts back it was mentioned that low/mid compression balls fly lower. Is that fact ? I seem to hit the Supersoft, Superhot Bold and Srixon Soft Feel higher than just about any other ball off the tee.

No, the compression can be low and the flight high or compression high and flight low or low and low or high and high.

Compression is only one of several factors a ball designer uses to create the desired trajectory. Height of flight is determined by dimple design and spin. Spin is determined by several factors including clubs moreseion, number and thickness of layers and cover softness.

All elements work together and there are various trade-offs and synergies in how they combine to produce whatever peformance the designe intends.

A few posts back it was mentioned that low/mid compression balls fly lower. Is that fact ? I seem to hit the Supersoft, Superhot Bold and Srixon Soft Feel higher than just about any other ball off the tee.

No, the compression can be low and the flight high or compression high and flight low or low and low or high and high.

Compression is only one of several factors a ball designer uses to create the desired trajectory. Height of flight is determined by dimple design and spin. Spin is determined by several factors including clubs moreseion, number and thickness of layers and cover softness.

All elements work together and there are various trade-offs and synergies in how they combine to produce whatever peformance the designe intends.

That was my thinking as well. Thanks for the post !!

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

And I forgot to add that I agree about the SuperSoft in particular...really, really low compression and flies as high as a golf bal can fly!

The Gist of this thread now:

Titleist Ball user: "Titleist released a ball thats soft, flies lower and improved my game instantly!

Callaway Ball user: Nah ah, No they didnt, No you didnt, Copy Cats, not original, Bridgestone did it first. Its not a ProV1, No one on Tour plays it. No Such thing!

Ksig user: Im not paying those prices!! I can buy 12 cases of Toilet Paper, A pallet of water, 5 pairs of Wranglers and a rotisserie chicken for that!

Bridgestone user: I have been using that ball for years in the Tour B330RXXrxsSXLMNOP ball

Taylormade User: TP5 spins better for my 230 yard 7 iron approaches, so Im out

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

The Gist of this thread now:

Titleist Ball user: "Titleist released a ball thats soft, flies lower and improved my game instantly!

Callaway Ball user: Nah ah, No they didnt, No you didnt, Copy Cats, not original, Bridgestone did it first. Its not a ProV1, No one on Tour plays it. No Such thing!

Ksig user: Im not paying those prices!! I can buy 12 cases of Toilet Paper, A pallet of water, 5 pairs of Wranglers and a rotisserie chicken for that!

Bridgestone user: I have been using that ball for years in the Tour B330RXXrxsSXLMNOP ball

Taylormade User: TP5 spins better for my 230 yard 7 iron approaches, so Im out

You had me pallet of water.

Well played sir

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Show me some examples with actual numbers

And I forgot to add that I agree about the SuperSoft in particular...really, really low compression and flies as high as a golf bal can fly!

Lol. Not close to true. Again show some numbers

I found a new AVX and played it. I didn't notice any gains in distance.

Titleist has always marketed the ProV as a ball anyone can play regardless of ability or gender. Given that, I am still not sure what niche the AVX is supposed to fit, especially since it is the same price as the ProV.

AVX is a ball anybody can play that flies a little lower off the driver and spins a little less off the irons than ProV1.

ProV1x is a ball anybody can play that flies a little higher off the driver and spins a little more off the irons than ProV1.

It’s that simple.

I know you and I went through all this before but it seems that you are playing some sort of mental game with yourself and the AVX. You say thinking that you can do the same with other equipment would be a hindrance to your game. So once again it seems you are playing some sort of mental game that is attached to your equipment and ball when we all know deep down, especially here on WRX where everyone tries a million things, that it’s the Indian now the arrow.

If this strategy works for you, great keep doing it but don’t act like/plead to everyone that the avx is responsible, whether it’s shaving strokes or “confidence in equipment” when in all reality, it’s you grooving a new swing, and the confidence in that, combined with more forgiving possibly longer and straighter irons.

Where it really comes off as BS is your talk of the short game. That it’s such an improvement short game wise for you. How? You stated you’ve played the ProV, CS, and NXT Tour, with that said, the AVX certainly doesn’t spin more than ProV etc and when you played the NXT you got your dose of low short game spin. So how is the AVX SO much better in the short game for you on those “turtle back” greens, that’s what makes ZERO sense and really isn’t even defendable.

The more I’ve read the more it seems that all this is 99% mental for you, and 1% avx help(possibly few yards longer, maybe 5% straighter). Those are the only things the AVX is helping with and that does not account for much difference in scoring so the rest is you playing mental games with yourself and misappropriating the credit for your improvement.

It’s much easier to tell yourself it’s the equipment and ball because you can easily keep that the same. You accepting the fact that you are doing something better in your swing and that is the reason is more difficult because that is much much harder to keep the same.

You keep saying "paired with the right equipment". What does that even mean? There are no unicorn clubs just like there are no unicorn balls. There are so many clubs and balls and none are dramatically different in there respective categories. No golfer is such an anomaly that they can only use one ball and one set of clubs. If so they are in trouble. If AVX is the only ball that works for you it's because you want it to.

What does a ball paired with the right equipment mean? Simple, and a WRX favorite. IT WORKS. That means shaving my handicap down from a 12 to a near 4 now. That's how I measure success through my golf bag and game, my handicap.

This is where me and you (as well as a few others) are on completely different wave lengths. I can't imagine having a better combination or anything better for me at this point without sacrificing what the ball is doing off of driver to putter, thus affecting my improved scoring. My current setup I have continued to improve. I can't see me doing that with any other equipment at this point. For the record, I don't want my equipment to change but some day it will likely have to.

You see, I can't agree with you. Logic to me at this point is sticking to what I have become accustomed to. Not getting ideas that there are possibly 4 other comparable sets that I could shoot similar scores with. From a confidence stand point; what good does that do my game to put my equipment in question that I've shot my best golf with? If anything, I feel having this thinking is a hindrance to my game at this point. Why you ask? Because I have complete confidence in my equipment. But you may not have this same confidence in your one bag. Or, you may have confidence in swinging 5 different bags of golf clubs/balls and feel your scores wouldn't change. Not me.

I know you and I went through all this before but it seems that you are playing some sort of mental game with yourself and the AVX. You say thinking that you can do the same with other equipment would be a hindrance to your game. So once again it seems you are playing some sort of mental game that is attached to your equipment and ball when we all know deep down, especially here on WRX where everyone tries a million things, that it's the Indian now the arrow.

If this strategy works for you, great keep doing it but don't act like/plead to everyone that the avx is responsible, whether it's shaving strokes or "confidence in equipment" when in all reality, it's you grooving a new swing, and the confidence in that, combined with more forgiving possibly longer and straighter irons.

If he is happy with the ball, why are you peeing in his cornflakes?

You keep saying "paired with the right equipment". What does that even mean? There are no unicorn clubs just like there are no unicorn balls. There are so many clubs and balls and none are dramatically different in there respective categories. No golfer is such an anomaly that they can only use one ball and one set of clubs. If so they are in trouble. If AVX is the only ball that works for you it's because you want it to.

What does a ball paired with the right equipment mean? Simple, and a WRX favorite. IT WORKS. That means shaving my handicap down from a 12 to a near 4 now. That's how I measure success through my golf bag and game, my handicap.

This is where me and you (as well as a few others) are on completely different wave lengths. I can't imagine having a better combination or anything better for me at this point without sacrificing what the ball is doing off of driver to putter, thus affecting my improved scoring. My current setup I have continued to improve. I can't see me doing that with any other equipment at this point. For the record, I don't want my equipment to change but some day it will likely have to.

You see, I can't agree with you. Logic to me at this point is sticking to what I have become accustomed to. Not getting ideas that there are possibly 4 other comparable sets that I could shoot similar scores with. From a confidence stand point; what good does that do my game to put my equipment in question that I've shot my best golf with? If anything, I feel having this thinking is a hindrance to my game at this point. Why you ask? Because I have complete confidence in my equipment. But you may not have this same confidence in your one bag. Or, you may have confidence in swinging 5 different bags of golf clubs/balls and feel your scores wouldn't change. Not me.

I know you and I went through all this before but it seems that you are playing some sort of mental game with yourself and the AVX. You say thinking that you can do the same with other equipment would be a hindrance to your game. So once again it seems you are playing some sort of mental game that is attached to your equipment and ball when we all know deep down, especially here on WRX where everyone tries a million things, that it's the Indian now the arrow.

If this strategy works for you, great keep doing it but don't act like/plead to everyone that the avx is responsible, whether it's shaving strokes or "confidence in equipment" when in all reality, it's you grooving a new swing, and the confidence in that, combined with more forgiving possibly longer and straighter irons.

If he is happy with the ball, why are you peeing in his cornflakes?

If you look back in the thread I congratulated him on his improvement but when someone keeps posting the things he is you eventually have to call BS.

I know you and I went through all this before but it seems that you are playing some sort of mental game with yourself and the AVX. You say thinking that you can do the same with other equipment would be a hindrance to your game. So once again it seems you are playing some sort of mental game that is attached to your equipment and ball when we all know deep down, especially here on WRX where everyone tries a million things, that it’s the Indian now the arrow.

If this strategy works for you, great keep doing it but don’t act like/plead to everyone that the avx is responsible, whether it’s shaving strokes or “confidence in equipment” when in all reality, it’s you grooving a new swing, and the confidence in that, combined with more forgiving possibly longer and straighter irons.

Where it really comes off as BS is your talk of the short game. That it’s such an improvement short game wise for you. How? You stated you’ve played the ProV, CS, and NXT Tour, with that said, the AVX certainly doesn’t spin more than ProV etc and when you played the NXT you got your dose of low short game spin. So how is the AVX SO much better in the short game for you on those “turtle back” greens, that’s what makes ZERO sense and really isn’t even defendable.

The more I’ve read the more it seems that all this is 99% mental for you, and 1% avx help(possibly few yards longer, maybe 5% straighter). Those are the only things the AVX is helping with and that does not account for much difference in scoring so the rest is you playing mental games with yourself and misappropriating the credit for your improvement.

It’s much easier to tell yourself it’s the equipment and ball because you can easily keep that the same. You accepting the fact that you are doing something better in your swing and that is the reason is more difficult because that is much much harder to keep the same.

I have no incentive to tell anyone on a forum that my equipment is working. My scores are proving that though, mind you.

I spin the ball a ton. I can even get the AVX to check substantially at times by accident (which generally, I don’t want it to). 99% of my rounds are played on my home golf course that has shaved down, small, turtle back greens. I could not control the trajectory/spin on pitches or the spin on chips with other balls I’ve tried. The AVX has allowed me to get up and down on a golf course that requires it more than the average course.

Even though you may not see these differences with an AVX vs other balls why throw the flag on someone else that does see differences and if anything has shown this through steady consistent play with his equipment/swing? Does everybody do everything just like you? Do you expect everyone to see the same things in the same golf balls that you do? I know your answer, you feel the golf ball is quite limited and I disagree.

For the record, I have no problem if 99% of it is mental (even though it’s not 99%). The point is my AVX paired with my current equipment is getting the job done, 100% mental or not. No other ball or equipment was getting it done like it is now. So don’t waste your breath telling me the AVX isn’t responsible for improved scoring. If it is in fact all mental (which it’s not) it makes no difference; the AVX is in play, thus giving me the confidence in this ball to continue to shoot good golf. Confidence in your equipment is worth its weight in gold. At least it is to me.

EDIT:

I forgot to address your concern of why the NXT Tour wasn't a good compromise. The NXT Tour did not have the feel that the AVX did, AVX=softer. Also, while I do spin the ball substantially the NXT Tour still rolled out too much around the greens. The NXT Tour seemed fine off of driver and even irons into greens. But it hasn't provided the short game control like the AVX has. The AVX I feel is in between the NXT Tour (not enough spin and lots of roll) and the ProV (as much spin as you could possibly want), with the AVX being that middle ball that it doesn't spin like crazy like the ProV but provides feel and enough spin which the NXT Tour didn't provide.

So you are aware. I am really not trying to defend myself with any of my posts at this time. I am simply telling you/others what has benefited my game and if that's not enough then I am sorry. It does me no good to ''make up'' anything at this point. I don't have intentions to throw anyone's strategy or idea's of equipment off with my posts. I've been honest with my posts and if you don't see how this would work in anyones game then I'm sorry. I guess I don't know what else to say other than my experiences and what is happening. Be mindful that this game can be played well in many ways.

You’ve stated that you’ve played in the neighborhood of 30 rounds in the last 2.5 months but I’m sure that has nothing to do with it.

If you could read I've given merit to the number of rounds played in my success as I have many other variables. However, all of the successes certainly add up. But to down play someones equipment with a mix of strategy when it is working for them is down right ignorant.

Picked up a sleeve to try this weekend with my +1 hdcp brother. He humors me and tries the various balls I've given him (CSX, Srixon XV, TP5/x) but has never come close to switching from his tried and true ProV1x. Since this one is a Titleist, he may actually entertain switching if it's longer/straighter off the tee. Looking forward to trying them out.

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

no offense guys, but this bantering is getting old, dont even want to read the AVX thread anymore because its the same old stuff here

I’ve been guilty of it, but at this point I agree. I think, through the range of posts Zpar has made, that everyone can see through it and see that it’s not the ball that is making the difference in his game(at least not more than a stroke or 2 at best) so there is no point in refuting his statements anymore. It is very evident that he is much more of a mental player than most people and that he has made himself believe that the AVX, and to a lesser degree his new equipment, is the reason for his drop in handicap and not an improved swing and a rapid increase in the amount of rounds played. He does seem to acknowledge these things in some posts but then goes right back to the AVX for his reasoning in later posts.

Like you said this is getting old and I agree, but it can be difficult not calling someone out on BS when it so obviously is. He is welcome to refute this post if he so chooses but this will be my last post in relation to his relationship with the AVX.

The reason it is so obvious that it is mental is because by titleists description of the ball combined with others descriptions combined with some numbers posted, it is clear there is not a large difference compared to ProV or other balls for that matter. As I’ve said numerous times, the only differences he could be seeing, whether it would truly help scoring or not, are:

Slightly lower spin off driver- ~5-10% at best(many other balls do this)

Slightly lower ball flight off driver

Few yards longer off driver- ~5-10 yards

Leading to shorter irons into greens- 1/2 - 1&1/2 at best

Marginally straighter via lower spin- 3-5% decrease in “side spin”(many other balls do this)

Slightly less spin on short game shots(many other balls do this)

These things are best case scenario as some people see almost no difference. So I think almost anyone can see that even if all these things happen AND you are able to fully take advantage of them that this would not equate to a major handicap reduction.

Now confidence is important, no doubt. But according to Zpar, if everyone were to just believe in themselves and their equipment and have confidence than you should have no problem shaving major strokes off your handicap.

And yes I get that everyone is different but come on, these things do not equal total transformation of your golf game(12 HC & 4 HC are very different players).

Clearly this is working for him. When I say “this” it doesn’t mean the AVX + new equipment + confidence in said equipment = 12HC - 4HC. Anyone who knows anything about playing golf knows that isn’t the case.

I’ve said my final piece on this and it’s not to put down Zpar as clearly he believes the AVX is a huge reason for his improvement, but people can be mistaken. We all know what equipment, let alone a ball, is capable of doing and not doing.

As the old and very true statement goes: It’s the Indian not the arrow.

To all on this thread. If you get equipment in your bag that you have confidence in, play a lot of golf and keep grinding that swing; the good scores will follow. I’m playing my best golf ever and I relate some of this success to the AVX. Give it a shot. You might find some differences you’ll like and with that, maybe some added confidence in your game.

no offense guys, but this bantering is getting old, dont even want to read the AVX thread anymore because its the same old stuff here

I’ve been guilty of it, but at this point I agree. I think, through the range of posts Zpar has made, that everyone can see through it and see that it’s not the ball that is making the difference in his game(at least not more than a stroke or 2 at best) so there is no point in refuting his statements anymore. It is very evident that he is much more of a mental player than most people and that he has made himself believe that the AVX, and to a lesser degree his new equipment, is the reason for his drop in handicap and not an improved swing and a rapid increase in the amount of rounds played. He does seem to acknowledge these things in some posts but then goes right back to the AVX for his reasoning in later posts.

Like you said this is getting old and I agree, but it can be difficult not calling someone out on BS when it so obviously is. He is welcome to refute this post if he so chooses but this will be my last post in relation to his relationship with the AVX.

The reason it is so obvious that it is mental is because by titleists description of the ball combined with others descriptions combined with some numbers posted, it is clear there is not a large difference compared to ProV or other balls for that matter. As I’ve said numerous times, the only differences he could be seeing, whether it would truly help scoring or not, are:

Slightly lower spin off driver- ~5-10% at best(many other balls do this)

Slightly lower ball flight off driver

Few yards longer off driver- ~5-10 yards

Leading to shorter irons into greens- 1/2 - 1&1/2 at best

Marginally straighter via lower spin- 3-5% decrease in “side spin”(many other balls do this)

Slightly less spin on short game shots(many other balls do this)

These things are best case scenario as some people see almost no difference. So I think almost anyone can see that even if all these things happen AND you are able to fully take advantage of them that this would not equate to a major handicap reduction.

Now confidence is important, no doubt. But according to Zpar, if everyone were to just believe in themselves and their equipment and have confidence than you should have no problem shaving major strokes off your handicap.

And yes I get that everyone is different but come on, these things do not equal total transformation of your golf game(12 HC & 4 HC are very different players).

Clearly this is working for him. When I say “this” it doesn’t mean the AVX + new equipment + confidence in said equipment = 12HC - 4HC. Anyone who knows anything about playing golf knows that isn’t the case.

I’ve said my final piece on this and it’s not to put down Zpar as clearly he believes the AVX is a huge reason for his improvement, but people can be mistaken. We all know what equipment, let alone a ball, is capable of doing and not doing.

As the old and very true statement goes: It’s the Indian not the arrow.

AVX is nearly 15% lower in spin off a 7-iron than ProV1.