2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

Listen the Two guys talking golf golfwrx podcast. They ask about the price of the AVX and the Titleist employee's answer was hilarious as to why it's priced the same as prov1. Pretty embarrassing for the company if you ask me. He also danced around the question on whether or not tour players will use this ball. He knows damn well not 1 tour player would use this knuckle ball.

Would you be more specific? Don't feel like listening to 45 minutes of blabber.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

I've played the Supersoft and the Duo to see what they were all about and there is no ball that spins less than a Supersoft. The AVX may spin less off a driver, but I find it spins fine on approach shots. I have even had it grab on chips and pitches. The only drawback to the AVX is the price. It should be about $36-40. If no one on Tour plays it, it's not a tour level ball

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

I have played several rounds with Supersoft and quite a few with Srixon Soft Feel and Wison Duo. All of those are definitely low-spin balls off all clubs. But FWIW, the distance off my driver with all of them was the same as ProV1x or Chrome Soft or B330. For whatever reason, low spin does not necessarily translate to extra driver distance (or iron distance) for me. But it does translate into lack of holding power on approach shots into firm greens and difficulty handling short pitch shots over bunkers to a shallow green.

Beats me why "low spin" with AVX adds yards to my drives while "low spin" with other balls does not. Probably because AVX is also designed with a ridiculously low trajectory dimple pattern. Balls like the Supersoft use every trick in the designer's book to get the ball flying high and straight.

What's unique [iN MY EXPERIENCE, not saying it doesn't exist in some ball somewhere I've never tried] with AVX is the combination of low trajectory and low spin off the driver while still having a moderate amount of spin around the greens. Maybe it's just me and 1% of the other golfers in the world but there does seem to be a niche of us out there for whom Titleist stumbled on some sort of Goldilocks combination of design elements.

P.S. Based on some stuff I've dredged up on Google, I suspect the AVX is not much different than the latest version of the Prestige ball sold in the Japanese domestic market. It's almost like they came up with something that suited a specific Japanese market niche, then realized there were a certain number of USA golfers who would like the same thing.

P.P.S. A certain very kind gentleman has just placed some of the new "K3" Costco balls in my hands and I'm eager to give them a try and see if perhaps they are just possibly unique in the same way as AVX, as it were. The basic construction is similar although the dimple pattern seems quite different.

I have played several rounds with Supersoft and quite a few with Srixon Soft Feel and Wison Duo. All of those are definitely low-spin balls off all clubs. But FWIW, the distance off my driver with all of them was the same as ProV1x or Chrome Soft or B330. For whatever reason, low spin does not necessarily translate to extra driver distance (or iron distance) for me. But it does translate into lack of holding power on approach shots into firm greens and difficulty handling short pitch shots over bunkers to a shallow green.

Beats me why "low spin" with AVX adds yards to my drives while "low spin" with other balls does not. Probably because AVX is also designed with a ridiculously low trajectory dimple pattern. Balls like the Supersoft use every trick in the designer's book to get the ball flying high and straight.

What's unique [iN MY EXPERIENCE, not saying it doesn't exist in some ball somewhere I've never tried] with AVX is the combination of low trajectory and low spin off the driver while still having a moderate amount of spin around the greens. Maybe it's just me and 1% of the other golfers in the world but there does seem to be a niche of us out there for whom Titleist stumbled on some sort of Goldilocks combination of design elements.

P.S. Based on some stuff I've dredged up on Google, I suspect the AVX is not much different than the latest version of the Prestige ball sold in the Japanese domestic market. It's almost like they came up with something that suited a specific Japanese market niche, then realized there were a certain number of USA golfers who would like the same thing.

P.P.S. A certain very kind gentleman has just placed some of the new "K3" Costco balls in my hands and I'm eager to give them a try and see if perhaps they are just possibly unique in the same way as AVX, as it were. The basic construction is similar although the dimple pattern seems quite different.

There is a point at which "low spin" has an adverse effect to a player's drive. Unless you possess really high ball speeds, 1400-1600 rpms may not help, it could hurt as the ball could simply fall out of the air because there isn't enough lift to keep it airborne. This happened to me years ago with some version of a TM 580 driver I believe that was a real low spin driver and I had to give it up because I just couldn't create enough spin on the ball to get any distance out of it.

For some the AVX may be straight but short because they don't create the ball speed to take advantage of it. For me, it's a great ball, I tend to flip a little at impact and it lands on the green like a sack of potatoes with a 6-LW. It feels great off the putter and checks well for me generally. The inconsistencies I find with it are the same as every ball, my lack of precision with a wedge is my downfall, it's not the ball's fault.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

Any reviews versus Pro V1 around the greens and on iron shots? Realize the differences off the tee.

Thanks.

I can only compare AVX to ProV1x (the ball I was playing prior to AVX). For my short game AVX spins less but it's a minor enough difference that it took me a couple rounds of stopping at every green to replicate one or two short game shots with 2 AVX and 2 ProV1x. In the end, it was clear that AVX was spinning less but then again ProV1x is about the spinniest ball inside 50 yards of any I've ever played.

On irons shots, honestly I can't see any difference in holding power. Both AVX and ProV1x stop in the vicinity of their ball mark with 7-iron on down unless the greens are super firm. AVX does fly lower than ProV1x but that doesn't seem to cost much in terms of stopping a short iron or wedge shot.

Caveat being I am a low clubhead speed, high handicap, low trajectory player who tends to play bump and run shots whenever possible near the green. No idea how those comparisons would work out for someone who hits the ball high with plenty of spin and/or who plays low spinner shots in the short game. I suspect such a person would NOT like AVX to play the low spinner with.

To me and for my 10 HCP game, Tour Soft is a better ball, esp at $15 cheaper.

The AVX does not spin around the greens for me any more than the TourSoft.

I would also argue that the B330RX does not spin anymore either than the TourSoft (even though I stocked-up big on those at $50 for 2 boxes).

Said it before here, that for me, unless you are playing a high-spin ball like the ProV1 or X or Z Star, then urethane is overrated in it's qualities in balls like the AVX or RX.

To me and for my 10 HCP game, Tour Soft is a better ball, esp at $15 cheaper.

The AVX does not spin around the greens for me any more than the TourSoft.

I would also argue that the B330RX does not spin anymore either than the TourSoft (even though I stocked-up big on those at $50 for 2 boxes).

Said it before here, that for me, unless you are playing a high-spin ball like the ProV1 or X or Z Star, then urethane is overrated in it's qualities in balls like the AVX or RX.

I find the RX to spin considerably more on short pitches and chips than the Tour Soft. The RX type ball of somewhat lower spin urethane is perfect for steep players like myself.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I got to do a quick sample of golf with the new AVX ball a couple weeks ago. Just as a TLDR since this post is long... im a 2 handicap (could be scratch if I didn’t work so dang much) this is the one tour ball I just don’t think I can game due to inconsistent and sometimes lacking short game spin. After playing 36 with the AVX here’s a more in-depth description of my experience.

First, the short shot (150 and in) performance was remarkably inconsistent. I carried a couple 54 degree wedges 125 yards when it’s almost always around 114-118 depending on time of year/heat. I am actually a pretty high spin and steep player but the variability in distance in short clubs is far too frequent with the AVX. It made full swing wedges and touch shots very hard to predict due to varying spin per shot. More often then not, i was carrying the ball 2-5 yards longer than i expected. I’m not a ProV1 player but in my experience I’ve never had that result with a ProV series ball; short shot spin/distance consistency is something they market heavily with the ProV line too. Clearly not an AVX feature.

Second, the short game spin was not really there. I was actually shocked they market this as high green side spin ball since its performance was more comparable to an NXT (or whatever it’s called now). There was a clicky feel/sound to the shots and even a well struck pitch with what I felt like was a “spinny” strike wasn’t what I would expect from a tour ball. I play the Srixon Zstar XV so I’m not opposed to the firmer/clickier short game sound; i am pretty comfortable with a firmer urethane feel. The real negative in my eyes is I didn’t feel like the AVX could be spun from a tight lie enough to check quickly on firm fast greens.

When it comes to the greens, I am not a believer in ranking a ball on putter feel unless it is distracting or off-putting. The AVX to me was normal. I have a studio stainless scotty with pretty fine milling and there was nothing wrong with the feel.

Lastly, aside from short irons and wedges, full shots were 100% playable and my numbers were pretty true. Performance was good, but the ball flight was a little lower off my longer clubs than I would prefer. Yardage’s seemed to stay consistent regardless of difference in ball flight, which was actually interesting to me.

My final take on the AVX ball, in true Stephen A. fashion, would be to say that this ball fails to do the one thing golfers should buy tour balls to do... which is to deliver consistent/predictable short game performance with enough check to get up and down on firm greens. Long game was as good as anything else, but you can do way better for $50 a dozen.

Finally got around to trying a sleeve in league last night. Had a pretty rough round but I was able to notice some things about the ball.

—It does launch lower than the TP5 or RX I have been playing last year or two.

—It is demonstrably longer for me. My playing partner is a beast and consistently outdrives me by 15-20 yards, but last night I was finding that average distance gap to be halved or more. A couple were very near each other.

—I like the feel. Slightly more crisp than the RX and not too dissimilar to TP5 but not as heavy feeling.

—There seemed to be a lot of surface imperfections on the cover/finish of the ball.

—Pitches and chips seemed to roll out more than I expected BUT the greens were much more repellent and faster/drier than they had been. Full shots with wedges seemed to stop fine.

—Seemed to pierce through a pretty strong wind.

Finally got around to trying a sleeve in league last night. Had a pretty rough round but I was able to notice some things about the ball.

—It does launch lower than the TP5 or RX I have been playing last year or two.

—It is demonstrably longer for me. My playing partner is a beast and consistently outdrives me by 15-20 yards, but last night I was finding that average distance gap to be halved or more. A couple were very near each other.

—I like the feel. Slightly more crisp than the RX and not too dissimilar to TP5 but not as heavy feeling.

—There seemed to be a lot of surface imperfections on the cover/finish of the ball.

—Pitches and chips seemed to roll out more than I expected BUT the greens were much more repellent and faster/drier than they had been. Full shots with wedges seemed to stop fine.

—Seemed to pierce through a pretty strong wind.

Agrees with my experience on all points except I have not noticed any finish flaws. Of course now that you say that I will probably start seeing them!

For me as long as the greens are not firm and super keen theres hardly any difference between AVX and regular “Tour” balls. But when greens firmness is really demanding AVX won’t hold like a high-spin urethane ball would.

I can live with that but better players probably would not.

I seek lower spin urethane balls like TP5, RX and now AVX because I’m naturally a high spin player due to swing imperfections and our greens in Northern Illinois are usually receptive. These are still controllable for me around the greens but don’t rip back on approaches or get beat up by the wind as bad. But for tour like conditions where every little bit of spin counts, I can see where these fall short.

I seek lower spin urethane balls like TP5, RX and now AVX because I'm naturally a high spin player due to swing imperfections and our greens in Northern Illinois are usually receptive. These are still controllable for me around the greens but don't rip back on approaches or get beat up by the wind as bad. But for tour like conditions where every little bit of spin counts, I can see where these fall short.

Identical to how I feel about this ball. Being a high spin player it sure was nice to have this ball to help cut through 20-30 mph steady winds the last 2 rounds.

It is quite a remarkable "wind ball". In the past I've heard that claim about various Callaway or Taylormade urethane models supposedly being awesome in the wind but I've never really noticed. For one thing where I play it is seldom really strong (i.e. more than 20mph) and also I'm not creating tons of spin anyway.

But it's a real, observable effect with the AVX even for my game. One of the first rounds I played with it I was hitting a 5-iron dead into about a 15mph wind and was basically trying to run the ball up in the opening between two bunkers. I knew my 4-iron would never hold the green but I also "knew" that asking for 155 yards out of a 5-iron (usually my 165 club) to clear the bunkers was madness.

I was off by just a bit in my aim and the ball took off directly for the left bunker. I couldn't believe it when the ball carried the bunker with inches to spare. My laser said 156 to the bunker lip. Any other ball into that wind would barely go 150, if that.

This weekend I A/B tested AVX against K-Sig and K-3 by hitting repeated shots side by side out on the course on a 10mph breeze day. Time after time into the wind K-Sig would just go up-up-up-up and then drop and stop 6-8 yards short of my normal iron shot distance. Same club, same swing with the AVX would stay low and boring and go absolutely normal distance. It really shouldn't be possible for a ball to ignore a cool 10mph breeze and not give up any carry distance but I saw it with my own eyes on multiple occasions.

Does anyone know if the AVX were the Titleist test balls sent out last November? I received a 3 pack that I played at Pinehurst a few weeks ago and liked the ball - carried great into the wind, was okay for me around the greens. But I proceeded to lose them quickly on my home course my first round out before I remembered to take a photo of one of them. TIA.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

Does anyone know if the AVX were the Titleist test balls sent out last November? I received a 3 pack that I played at Pinehurst a few weeks ago and liked the ball - carried great into the wind, was okay for me around the greens. But I proceeded to lose them quickly on my home course my first round out before I remembered to take a photo of one of them. TIA.

It is also possible that it was the new Tour Soft too. I received this test ball around that time.

One ball to another, spin will be very similar off the driver. If anyone is hitting it further with the driver it's trajectory. As for irons, this balls sounds like the results I had with the TP5X golf ball... longer with irons, a little less spin around greens. I don't think you'll see any tour players using this ball, but for amateurs it seems like a great option, and maybe even better than the ProV1. Probably should have been priced $5 less than PV1 line.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

It's been said by Titleist that Justin Thomas has been playing this ball. He's a high launch/high spin guy and this ball plays well for him.

http://blog.golftown.com/en/golf-equipment/introducing-titleist-avx/

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

It's been said by Titleist that Justin Thomas has been playing this ball. He's a high launch/high spin guy and this ball plays well for him.

http://blog.golftown...g-titleist-avx/

Well if definitely lowers flight and spin.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Serious question. How much of a trajectory difference do you there is in the AVX and say a higher launching ball than say the ProV1x? 1 maybe 2 degrees launch angle max with a driver? It will also become less discernible in in the longer irons and virtually non discernible in the short irons and wedges.

It’s not LAUCH ANGLE that is lower with AVX. It is the flight of the ball.

The initial launch angle is virtually identical. The AVX has a noticeably lower flight because of its low-trajectory dimple design. It is quite a bit lower off the driver than ProV1x. AVX has one of the lowest driver trajectories I have ever seen, ProV1x just about the highest b

Serious question. How much of a trajectory difference do you there is in the AVX and say a higher launching ball than say the ProV1x? 1 maybe 2 degrees launch angle max with a driver? It will also become less discernible in in the longer irons and virtually non discernible in the short irons and wedges.

It’s not LAUCH ANGLE that is lower with AVX. It is the flight of the ball.

The initial launch angle is virtually identical. The AVX has a noticeably lower flight because of its low-trajectory dimple design. It is quite a bit lower off the driver than ProV1x. AVX has one of the lowest driver trajectories I have ever seen, ProV1x just about the highest b

It’s gonna be insignificant in short clubs no matter what but what average golfer needs a lower flying long iron and I still don’t see that be super significant in that regard. Maybe I’m wrong but didn’t you mention in another thread about hitting a 5 iron 155 yards or there abouts? No offense intended but I don’t know anyone who hits a 5 iron less than say 185 yards concerned with ballooning. It’s not like the ball is gonna fly on a line and just drop and stop. Are you trying to get a lower trajectory and run the ball up more?

http://blog.golftown...g-titleist-avx/

Not quite what the article said. It said Justin Thomas loved the idea of what it delivers off the driver and was playing a prototype ball with that attribute (but was still a ProV1) . I am sure he would not like what the AVX delivers on the PGA tour greens.

I do thank you for pointing out that tour players often play balls the general public cannot obtain easily.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow