2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

Serious question. How much of a trajectory difference do you there is in the AVX and say a higher launching ball than say the ProV1x? 1 maybe 2 degrees launch angle max with a driver? It will also become less discernible in in the longer irons and virtually non discernible in the short irons and wedges.

It’s not LAUCH ANGLE that is lower with AVX. It is the flight of the ball.

The initial launch angle is virtually identical. The AVX has a noticeably lower flight because of its low-trajectory dimple design. It is quite a bit lower off the driver than ProV1x. AVX has one of the lowest driver trajectories I have ever seen, ProV1x just about the highest b

It’s gonna be insignificant in short clubs no matter what but what average golfer needs a lower flying long iron and I still don’t see that be super significant in that regard. Maybe I’m wrong but didn’t you mention in another thread about hitting a 5 iron 155 yards or there abouts? No offense intended but I don’t know anyone who hits a 5 iron less than say 185 yards concerned with ballooning. It’s not like the ball is gonna fly on a line and just drop and stop. Are you trying to get a lower trajectory and run the ball up more?

I am talking about driver trajectory primarily. The low spin and low trajectory gives me a good bit of extra distance.

I hit AVX the same distance with irons as most other balls. But it does fly lower. The downside is the possibility is more release on iron shots but it really doesn’t seem to create any problems for me.

My point remains. The difference is not in degrees of launch angle but in height of the trajectory. In fact, what minor initial launch differences there are will probably being the lower spin AVX departing the clubface slightly higher, not lower.

P.S. by the way AVX does also fly lower with short irons too but I am NOT saying that is an advantage. It is what it is.

Been playing this ball the last couple weeks. Usually play TP5x or v1, and I am a pretty high spin player. Love the feel off the putter. It’s longer off all irons and flies lower. Haven’t had control issues. A little longer off the driver too, because as noted it doesn’t fly as high and I think the lower spin and lower flight combine for a better landing angle - more roll.

Tonight I got home on a 540 yard par 5 that I have never reached in 16 years. Maybe just luck, but I like the ball.

Tour Soft user here. I tried the AVX for 10 holes and shot +13 with a triple on 10. Switched to the tour Soft and shot even par through the final 8 holes. I thought the AVX would give me a lot more check on the greens but there was no noticeable difference for my slower swing speed. I was hitting 7i 145ish that day...

Tour Soft user here. I tried the AVX for 10 holes and shot +13 with a triple on 10. Switched to the tour Soft and shot even par through the final 8 holes. I thought the AVX would give me a lot more check on the greens but there was no noticeable difference for my slower swing speed. I was hitting 7i 145ish that day...

Interesting. A test sleeve of the Tour Softs was mailed to me last fall and around the green the AVX was a better feeling ball and noticeably spun more for me. Not discounting your experience. Just showing that it can vary.

The AVX is for people who hit the ProV1 too high and with too much spin.

It is not for the normal golfer.

I gave a couple to a friend who spun and hit the ProV1 unpredictably high and spinny - brought down launch and spin, and did not lose much around the greens. He was also enjoying the soft feel.

AVX does not fit most golfers - it is for higher speed guys. You need to get fit. Just because it says "golf ball" on the package does not mean that particular ball fits your game.

I will edit to say that a lot of golfers do not play the game or choose a ball according to what the stats say they should play - if you like what the AVX does for your game, buy it, play it.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I gave a couple to a friend who spun and hit the ProV1 unpredictably high and spinny - brought down launch and spin, and did not lose much around the greens. He was also enjoying the soft feel.

AVX does not fit most golfers - it is for higher speed guys. You need to get fit. Just because it says "golf ball" on the package does not mean that particular ball fits your game.

I don't know if I'm disagreeing or simply adding an additional perspective to your comment.

As for the disagreeing part, all of Titleist's marketing material for the AVX (both during the initial test phase and now with the full release) emphasizes distance and "soft feel" with spin and trajectory getting second billing at best. So I'm not sure it's the full picture to say this ball is intended for very high speed, high trajectory, high spin, strong players.

For the additional perspective I'll say that my own game fits none of those criteria, quite the opposite in fact, yet I've never tried another ball that suits my needs more perfectly. Now maybe that's just happenstance, perhaps Titleist was designing a ball for those strong golfers fighting a ballooning trajectory with ProV1. Maybe it's just my good luck that a ball designed for another purposes worked out so well for me.

But I'm not convinced. I seem to be closer to the target of their *advertising* the AVX. And the reason it works for me is twofold. First, it gives me notably longer driver distance when I factor in carry and roll under my normal conditions. And second, my short game does not depend on shots that spin and grab immediately. I'm perfectly OK with a moderate spin in the short game and in fact my reasons for needing a urethane ball are more to do with helping my iron shots hold very firm greens with full swings.

So whatever their intended target, there's a niche of golfers like myself who do NOT need ProV1x-level short game spin and control (which AVX definitely lacks) but who DO need Tour-ball holding power on approach shots with full swings and who benefit from a lower, hotter driver ball flight to pick up 10 yards or so of added driving distance.

I don't know if I'm disagreeing or simply adding an additional perspective to your comment.

As for the disagreeing part, all of Titleist's marketing material for the AVX (both during the initial test phase and now with the full release) emphasizes distance and "soft feel" with spin and trajectory getting second billing at best. So I'm not sure it's the full picture to say this ball is intended for very high speed, high trajectory, high spin, strong players.

For the additional perspective I'll say that my own game fits none of those criteria, quite the opposite in fact, yet I've never tried another ball that suits my needs more perfectly. Now maybe that's just happenstance, perhaps Titleist was designing a ball for those strong golfers fighting a ballooning trajectory with ProV1. Maybe it's just my good luck that a ball designed for another purposes worked out so well for me.

But I'm not convinced. I seem to be closer to the target of their *advertising* the AVX. And the reason it works for me is twofold. First, it gives me notably longer driver distance when I factor in carry and roll under my normal conditions. And second, my short game does not depend on shots that spin and grab immediately. I'm perfectly OK with a moderate spin in the short game and in fact my reasons for needing a urethane ball are more to do with helping my iron shots hold very firm greens with full swings.

So whatever their intended target, there's a niche of golfers like myself who do NOT need ProV1x-level short game spin and control (which AVX definitely lacks) but who DO need Tour-ball holding power on approach shots with full swings and who benefit from a lower, hotter driver ball flight to pick up 10 yards or so of added driving distance.

I went to a 4 hr private Titleist Ball fitting with the Titleist People from Massachusetts with 6 other golfers. I was fortunate. I am relaying their discussion of the AVX with you. Of the 7 guys in that fitting, 1 was advised to go AVX, and the other was avised he could go with either AVX or V1, and to test both -- he did and is playing the AVX. He liked the extra distance that he saw in the mid to short irons without losing much in the short game because he already was a higher spin, aggressive player around the greens.

If you want to disagree with Titleist's primary rationale for the ball, be my guest.

Of course, if you want to play the AVX and you think its performance characteristics works better for you than the V1X, it's your call and your $$. Good luck with it.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Well I don't "think it works better". It clearly works better and it was obvious after just a couple rounds. And my opinion hasn't changed after 75+ rounds with AVX (coming after hundreds of rounds with ProV1x).

It's a mystery why the guys doing your ball fitting aren't on the same wavelength asa the guys writing ad copy and back-of-box info for the AVX balls. And for what it's worth, the guys in our pro shop (who've been pushing Titleist balls and clubs for decades) say their Titleist rep tells them the AVX is for "higher handicap guys with lower clubhead speed who need extra distance and don't care so much about spin". But that's just one rep, of course.

So I guess I am disagreeing after all...

Well I don't "think it works better". It clearly works better and it was obvious after just a couple rounds. And my opinion hasn't changed after 75+ rounds with AVX (coming after hundreds of rounds with ProV1x).

It's a mystery why the guys doing your ball fitting aren't on the same wavelength asa the guys writing ad copy and back-of-box info for the AVX balls. And for what it's worth, the guys in our pro shop (who've been pushing Titleist balls and clubs for decades) say their Titleist rep tells them the AVX is for "higher handicap guys with lower clubhead speed who need extra distance and don't care so much about spin". But that's just one rep, of course.

So I guess I am disagreeing after all...

I think you enjoy being argumentative, and that's fine ... but if you read carefully, you would see it is the guys who designed and marketed the ball with whom you have a disagreement. And seriously, don't even mention a marketing blurb on a sleeve. That does not always translate to your particular game.

But if you think AVX works best, it works best, but it's not a fitting. For example, I played the CS over the weekend. I enjoyed it, thought it was a good fit, but I want to compare it on Trackman or other fitting device to compare it with a V1x or a Snell MTB. And I want someone to help me analyze the stats. That's a fitting.

Look, just because a ball is designed in one way, does not mean it can't work for you or perform for you and that is what I was inferring/implying, etc. I know some golfers with whom I occasionally play that would like the AVX - it feels soft and stays low in the wind - they want lots of roll on their summer fairways - hard packed and barely watered. They play for roll around the greens. Still, I'd ask them to also try the Tour Soft and save some $$ if that ball works for them.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I'm intrigued by this ball, and will probably pick up a sleeve for a scramble I'll be in this weekend.

I play an abbreviated bag and rely on bending shots/trajectories and prefer to flight the ball lower.

My pops gets on me by saying, I've never seen anyone hit more greens by missing greens. Meaning, I grew up playing the wrong type of courses. I'm a links player by heart.

I typically will allow the ball to lay on the ground and typically will miss short. The lack of spin may be something that works for me.

Driver swing speed of 105. I'll let you know how it plays.

So would people say the AVX is a NXT Tour core with a ProV1 cover? How are 50 yard pitch shots compared to the 2015 V1x?

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

So would people say the AVX is a NXT Tour core with a ProV1 cover? How are 50 yard pitch shots compared to the 2015 V1x?

No, I would say it is a new 3-piece urethane cover design. Titleist (or any other major OEM) do not take "cores" from one ball and wrap a different skin on them to get a new ball.

On 30, 40, 50 yard pitch shots for me a ProV1x (whether 2013, 2015 or 2017) will usually grab and stop almost immediately. I generally use a 54 or 58 degree wedge and if a ProV1x does not stop within a few inches of its ballmark, even on a firm green, it's because I did not hit it cleanly. Very occasionally on receptive greens a 40-yarder will even spin back a foot or so on me.

Same swing, same club, same distance with the AVX it will stop quickly on very receptive greens. But on the usual firm Bermuda green I play those shots will release anywhere from 5 to 15 feet. When the greens are extremely firm (making that metallic thump sound when the ball lands) occasionally a shot like that with AVX will get away from my and roll out even more than 15 feet.

But I lack clubhead speed and don't play with an open clubface. Someone who can open the face up and swing harder might find the AVX checks up fine. It is certainly nothing like a TruSoft or Callaway Supersoft or other Surlyn cover balls in that regard.

It has always been a two fold problem with my iron/wedge game. I feel the 2015x makes me miss a lot of greens due to the left/right movement of the ball but makes up for the miss with the best in the business short game prowess. If I could hit a straighter ball I wouldn't of missed the green in the first place and would be putting for birdie instead of pitching for birdie. Cant tell you how many times I missed the green but got up and down for par. Now off the driver is the feel and trajectory more like the X or the V?

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

The AVX is lower trajectory off my driver (10.5 M4 adjusted to 12.0, approx. 90mph clubhead speed) than any other ball I've used. Coming from ProV1x the lower trajectory was instantly noticeable. It's a big difference.

I've always found most balls (ProV1, Chrome Soft, B330) to fly slightly lower off the driver than ProV1x. AVX is a good bit lower than any of them.

For me it's the perfect compromise. Much less spin than ProV1x (or Chrome Soft of B330) across the board. But *just about* enough stopping power on full-swing approach shots and *just about* enough check on those 30-40-50 yarders. And on shorter chips it pretty much acts like any other urethane ball for me.

So I get the low-spin, low-trajectory driver flight to gain maybe 10 yards of driving distance (more on super-firm fairways) but unlike low spin Surlyn balls I can still get by with the slight lack of spin around the greens. Win-win for me.

P.S. AVX probably spins a lot less on iron shots as well but my swing is not consistent enough or high enough speed to definitely say.

Is the AVX "jumpy" when putting or similar to the other Prov's?

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I played with the AVX yesterday for the first time. A friend of mine that I play regional tournaments with recommended it to me. At first, I was hesitant to even try it. I have played the ProV1x ever since they were introduced. Since I was just playing a friendly round yesterday, I grabbed a sleeve and took them out.

I never tested it side by side with the "x" on tee shots. However, it was my home course, and I know where I am on each hole usually. I was in the same spots as usual (if not a little longer than the x). I did try to stretch an iron shot and flew the flag by 7 yards. I could not believe it so I hit an x and came up pin high. I started paying attention to it, and the AVX is 1/2 club longer on iron shots for me. I also found that the ball does not curve as much. There was a shot where I hit it and the feel made me think, "Crap, I overcooked that into the bunker"....only to have the ball straighten out and land 15 feet left of the pin.

It feels softer off the face on putting and traveled the expected speed. I only had to hit 2 chips and it worked as expected. I felt like it was the same as the x.

After the round, i went back in the shop and bought a dozen.

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Been playing this ball for a couple weeks. Typically play ProV1 or TP5x. DEFINITELY lower off the driver, and every other club but very noticeable improvement in trajectory with driver. The ball is a bullet and also notice less curvature. So an awesome ball off the driver. Still evaluating the effect on mid iron shots and green holding/roll out as well as wedge shots. right now if i could hit AVX off the tee and switch to TP5x from there it would be the perfect ball for me.

Driver-Taylormade M3 10.5-1
3-5 Woods-Taylormade M3
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20degree
Irons 4-9- Taylormade P790
Wedges 46,52,60 Vokey SM-7
Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 3
HCP 2.9

Looking forward to giving these a try when they hit the UK, i play the V1 and enjoy that, it's always seemed to beat out everything else year on year, will have to give the AVX a try against it. Interesting to read about the lower ball flight, that might be the one issue it'll have for me, as i do tend to have an issue with hitting them low as it is, where i play it's windy usually, so punches and low balls is what i use half the time.

I found a ProV1x in the rough yesterday and played it on a few holes. AVX was stopping right at its ballmark all day (softer than usual greens) but twice the ProV1x backed up. About 2-1/2 feet once with a 9-iron and about 6-8 inches a PW.

For me the AVX spins much less than ProV1x but that extra spin is not really useful to my game. I did have AVX dig in and sit really quickly on one bunker shot so there is definitely some “action” with it, just not ProV1x-class action.

Be curious to see if the AVX actually increases overall sales for Titleist or if it is simply going to be a low spin option for Titleist fans.

I hear a rumor Titleist wants to go with only one ProV1 model in the future which would make sense , especially if the AVX is cheaper to produce.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I played with this ball yesterday and I was really impressed. I usually play ProV1 or a Bridgestone and while they are similar, this ball is longer, straighter and lower than the ProV1. Feels good off the putter but doesn't quite check as much on chips an pitches. I got as much spin on my full shots and got it to stay pretty close to where it landed on the green, just not quite as good as the ProV1. I'm going to continue with this ball for a while.

First impression of the AVX is that it is the 1st version of the B330RX with better shortgame control and the trajectory of the 2013 ProV1x. Kinda digging it!

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

First impression of the AVX is that it is the 1st version of the B330RX with better shortgame control and the trajectory of the 2013 ProV1x. Kinda digging it!

Do you really find its driver trajectory similar to ProV1x? That is like the direct opposite of my experience, as well as a couple of guys in my club who tried it.

ProV1x is just about the highest flying Urethane ball (off the driver) that I know of. Only the 2014 B330 has even come close. AVX is absolutely the lowest flying Urethane ball (off the driver) I've ever hit.

Do you really find its driver trajectory similar to ProV1x? That is like the direct opposite of my experience, as well as a couple of guys in my club who tried it.

ProV1x is just about the highest flying Urethane ball (off the driver) that I know of. Only the 2014 B330 has even come close. AVX is absolutely the lowest flying Urethane ball (off the driver) I've ever hit.

For me the 2013 V1x flew low for me unlike the 2015 and 2017. AVX is top of tree line low for me. The decent angle is very shallow which I always struggled with using the 2015 V1x. I 100% agree it isnt as low as the B330. I did alot of wedge work in the yard today of my CCE mat and the low spinny 50 yard shots along with the soft feel is pure perfection off the Vokeys.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Picked up a dozen and played 63 holes over the course of 4 days last week. Normally don't stick to a particular ball, switching between ProV1, ChromeSoft, or RXS depending on conditions and how I'm hitting. Pro V1 is the most frequently played and what I wanted to compare to.

Ball Flight - No much difference, slightly lower off the irons, driver same

Stopped - Could not get the check and stop, one hop stop I can with the ProV1

Putting - feels good on the putter, similar to a ChromeSoft, not a firm (to me) as the ProV1

I'll keep playing them, not a bad ball, but for the price and confidence in being able to stop a wedge, I prefer the ProV1

[color=#008080][size=2]Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 9.0 w/Kinetixx Velocity (D30)
Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 3W w/Tensei AV Blue (S)
Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 5W w/Tensei AV Blue (S)

Callaway Apex '21 4-PW w/Tensei AV Blue (S)
Callaway JAWS RAW Matte Black 48 DG Spinner

Callaway JAWS RAW Matte Black 52 DG Spinner

Callaway JAWS RAW Matte Black 56 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron 2014 Fastback w/Superstroke Countercore Pistol GT 1.0[/size][/color]

I like this ball well enough but I have scored relatively poorly the three rounds I’ve played it. Those rounds were sandwiched between rounds with my go to 2016 330RX and the TP5, and I scored considerably better with those. Most of the damage came in the short game when pitches and chips ran out much more than expected.

We have been abnormally dry, warm and windy the past few weeks (as soon as it stopped snowing) and it seems greens everywhere have been much firmer and more repellent than usual which definitely plays into it. I’m sure I could get used to the short game performance if I played it consistently, but it definitely reacts differently off my clubs with my swings than the balls I’ve been playing.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft