2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

Seems to do what everyone is touting (low driver, longer, etc), but I found the major difference was on the irons. Considerably longer (1/2 to full club) and little hold on the green. Long, and not holding was not a good combo for me the last two rounds. 3 more sleeves to go, may not be buying another box.

Sounds like you have some spin issues related to your game not the ball, I’ve had no problem getting these to hold on any well struck iron, from 4 iron to Wedges they all sit right where they landed with this ball

Seems to do what everyone is touting (low driver, longer, etc), but I found the major difference was on the irons. Considerably longer (1/2 to full club) and little hold on the green. Long, and not holding was not a good combo for me the last two rounds. 3 more sleeves to go, may not be buying another box.

Sounds like you have some spin issues related to your game not the ball, I’ve had no problem getting these to hold on any well struck iron, from 4 iron to Wedges they all sit right where they landed with this ball

It’s almost impossible to say this without knowing more. Green conditions will play such a huge role here. I know I played at my home course after quite a few days of rain and had varying results with spin each day it dried out more and more(happened to have played 5 out of 7 days after the rain). Also I recently switched to a 54 instead of 56 so I was hitting multiple wedge shots on many holes to get a feel for distance and half shots etc.

The first Day balls pretty much hopped and stopped due to the large ball marks left. As more moisture left the green on day 2 or 3 after the rain it was still softer than usual(greens are usually firm and fast to where they rarely leave a ball mark) and balls were spinning back like crazy, I’m talking 10-20 feet which is not normal for me. By day 6 or 7 they were back to being firm where my wedge shots will sometimes spin back or to the side but a lot of times will hit and trickle. This is just an example/experience that happened to me recently that showed me how much green conditions impact spin and not just whether they are soft or firm but a combination of many things such as type of grass, thatch levels, combo of how fast and how soft/firm etc.

By the way I used the same ball every time( tour b XS)

My point is, I would consider varying conditions when reading peoples experiences with spin on greens. Not to say someone can’t realize that the greens are soft that day but that maybe someone plays on certain green conditions most of the time which could be different to what you normally play on. I think this is sometimes forgotten

Sounds like you have some spin issues related to your game not the ball, I've had no problem getting these to hold on any well struck iron, from 4 iron to Wedges they all sit right where they landed with this ball

It's almost impossible to say this without knowing more. Green conditions will play such a huge role here. I know I played at my home course after quite a few days of rain and had varying results with spin each day it dried out more and more(happened to have played 5 out of 7 days after the rain). Also I recently switched to a 54 instead of 56 so I was hitting multiple wedge shots on many holes to get a feel for distance and half shots etc.

The first Day balls pretty much hopped and stopped due to the large ball marks left. As more moisture left the green on day 2 or 3 after the rain it was still softer than usual(greens are usually firm and fast to where they rarely leave a ball mark) and balls were spinning back like crazy, I'm talking 10-20 feet which is not normal for me. By day 6 or 7 they were back to being firm where my wedge shots will sometimes spin back or to the side but a lot of times will hit and trickle. This is just an example/experience that happened to me recently that showed me how much green conditions impact spin and not just whether they are soft or firm but a combination of many things such as type of grass, thatch levels, combo of how fast and how soft/firm etc.

By the way I used the same ball every time( tour b XS)

My point is, I would consider varying conditions when reading peoples experiences with spin on greens. Not to say someone can't realize that the greens are soft that day but that maybe someone plays on certain green conditions most of the time which could be different to what you normally play on. I think this is sometimes forgotten

Mixed in a TP5 for about 3 holes each round for comparison. Same day, same course, same person, same weather, etc....yah about as close as to 'controlled variables' I could get for a low key experiment.

Used an AVX yesterday for the first time on hole 7 of my round. Decided to switch out my prov1 after hole 6 when it hit a tree on my drive. Well hole 7 turned out awesome with the AVX. Hole 7 is a par 5 and after my drive and 6 iron to about 6 feet, I made the eagle putt. First hole ever using an AVX and I eagled it. I stuck with the AVX and finished par-par on 8 & 9. Let's just say that I am ordering some AVX's today to always have on hand. May be switching to them full time.

• Ping G430 Driver 9*
  • Ping G400 3 Wood
  • TaylorMade M4 HL 5 Wood
  • TaylorMade P790 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM8 50*
  • TaylorMade Hi Toe 54*
  • Titleist Vokey SM8 60*
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

I feel like it is just a little lower spinning and has a lower ball flight, just like the website and everything has said. I tend to be a high ball hitter and with my driver, spin on mishits can be a little much. I have been every impressed with the ball as it has done everything Titleist says it will do. Pretty soft in comparison to the prov1 but it is solid.

It seems to hold its line very well and I think I gained a few yards with irons and maybe even a little with the driver.

For me, this is a winner and a potential gamer from now on. Might need to trade in some Prov1s....

Titleist 913 D3 8.5* NV 75 X
TaylorMade 790 UDI 17* HZRDUS 6.0 (2019)
Titleist 710 MB 3-PW S400
Titleist Vokey SM4 (54, 60, 64)
TaylorMade TP DUPAGE 34in, 4*Flat
@EMechling #poundtown

Finished a round tonight in my league with 2 partners who are ProV1x players. AVX was consistently 15-20 yards longer and I was hitting frozen ropes. The ball is magnificent off the driver. My GIR went way up with this ball and pairs perfectly with my AP2’s. Full wedges seem the same as both the V1 and V1x. 50 yards and under the ball reminds me of the B330-RXS. Enough spin to slow down the ball but it will not one hop and stop. I do feel I can just adjust the trajectory to get my required distance instead of relying on a low buzz saw wedge shot that I could do with the ProV1x. My LW I can hit my 1/4-1/2-Full. The 32 yard shot now requires some finesse to get the ball close. AVX will not one hop and stop which actually got me closer to the pin. I did have two lob shots that floated up softly and landed very softly. The straightness off the tee and effortless distance has me converted to the AVX for good. What I suspected with my game has been confirmed. I do not need the added spin around the greens because my approach shots are hitting the greens.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Finished a round tonight in my league with 2 partners who are ProV1x players. AVX was consistently 15-20 yards longer and I was hitting frozen ropes. The ball is magnificent off the driver. My GIR went way up with this ball and pairs perfectly with my AP2’s. Full wedges seem the same as both the V1 and V1x. 50 yards and under the ball reminds me of the B330-RXS. Enough spin to slow down the ball but it will not one hop and stop. I do feel I can just adjust the trajectory to get my required distance instead of relying on a low buzz saw wedge shot that I could do with the ProV1x. My LW I can hit my 1/4-1/2-Full. The 32 yard shot now requires some finesse to get the ball close. AVX will not one hop and stop which actually got me closer to the pin. I did have two lob shots that floated up softly and landed very softly. The straightness off the tee and effortless distance has me converted to the AVX for good. What I suspected with my game has been confirmed. I do not need the added spin around the greens because my approach shots are hitting the greens.

boom, amen! long live the AVX!

I kept wrestling the notion that I need the shortgame spin of the ProV1x that I have been used to having in my back pocket but only had one 35 yard wedge shot release on me and roll to the apron. What I do find odd is the check spin seems to make the ball release sideways and now I have a dispersion cone.. The Prov1x is like throwing darts at the greens with my wedges that sometimes hurt me. 40 yard wedge shot the ball might fly 35 yards and bite or even spin back leaving a 20' putt. AVX on the identical shot will brake with about 50% of the stopping power of the X but release. The landing/release zone of the V1x is about 3' for me and the AVX is 10 feet or so I have to allow. The strong suit of the AVX is adjusting for trajectory, I have 2 50 yard shots. One is a 1/2 Lob or a 1/4 SW. If the Pin is in the back at 55 yards I can take my SW and just put my 1/2 swing on it and the ball will travel 50 yards and the dispersion cone should allow the ball to check and release up to the flag nice and soft. Now if the Pin is in the middle of the green at 55 with the green sloping away I will grab the LW with a 1/2 swing and the dispersion cone is closer to 3-5 feet of release do to the higher softer trajectory. Prov1x I would just fire away and the ball would bounce and check which would require a lot more precision out of me on my carry distances. Prov1x always flew heavy for me and the AVX seem easier to finesse. No contest with the driver using the AVX. 115mph club head speed makes the AVX look like a superbounce ball. No signs of over compression like would get with the B330-RX or RXS ball.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Hear me out ... So I’ve been playing the Titleist AVX for roughly 20 rounds and I can understand why pros are still gaming Pro V1s and Pro V1Xs over the new AVX golf ball. Like the majority have stated, the spin on approach shots just isn’t there compared to the Pro V1 or V1X. But for amatures like myself the ball is hands down the best ball I’ve played in my 6 year golf “career.” My carry off the tee is a little less due to the low ball flight, but the total distance with the driver has gone up 10-15 yards with the incredible roll out also due to the low ball flight. On approaches I never really got great spin with other tour golf balls due to my average ball striking. So I’m not losing out on much spin wise, but I am hitting more greens on approaches with the AVX because of how straight this ball flys.

If you can live with not zipping the ball back 5-10 yards on shots into the green this ball should really be given a try.

Finally played the AVX and...not impressed. No problem with distance off driver, irons--it played as expected in terms of distance, but would not hold greens and rolled out too much on half wedges, chips etc. It just doesn't spin enough for my liking around/approaching greens. After awhile, I adapted, but why I should I have to adapt to the ball? If I'm paying Pro V money, I should get Pro V (or other Tour calibre ball) performance. To me it felt indistinguishable from a Duo Urethane and played exactly the same for me. For those of you that really liked the AVX, save your money and buy the Duo Urethanes.

Finally played the AVX and...not impressed. No problem with distance off driver, irons--it played as expected in terms of distance, but would not hold greens and rolled out too much on half wedges, chips etc. It just doesn't spin enough for my liking around/approaching greens. After awhile, I adapted, but why I should I have to adapt to the ball? If I'm paying Pro V money, I should get Pro V (or other Tour calibre ball) performance. To me it felt indistinguishable from a Duo Urethane and played exactly the same for me. For those of you that really liked the AVX, save your money and buy the Duo Urethanes.

I finally played a dry course with quick greens and still loved the overall performance.

Yesterday was day 1 in Scotland and I brought AVX and TP5x. Played a links running hard and fast (it’s dry up here). I was impressed with AVX in the wind, and not once was I disappointed that it wouldn’t stop. It’s a good ball, more than adequate for most of us, and low flight low spin can be good. Don’t think it is available over here yet, gave my caddie a sleeve.

I got one from a guy at the course the other day, swapped him one of the USA flag truvis, and played it for about 4 holes. As I suspected it’s not a unicorn. It’s a good mid compression urethane ball but no better than a Chrome Soft or Project (a), never played the Duo urethane. All low/mid compression balls tend to launch and fly a little lower and this one isn’t any different. I also believe it spins less than both the CS and project (a) which may give you a little more length off the irons but that’s not what I’m looking for.

I play a bump and run type style chipping. I’m also a very high spin wedge player so I’ve had absolutely zero problem getting them to stop on the green. The real winner is off the tee. For high swing speed players, it really fights side spin and finds fairways

Yea but if that’s all I was looking for I could find it at better than half the price. Just saying. If it’s about having the Titleist name the DT solo, “Tour” Soft, and Probably the velocity offer everything you just mentioned. The point of a urethane cover is to offer a higher level of spin and control.

I play a bump and run type style chipping. I’m also a very high spin wedge player so I’ve had absolutely zero problem getting them to stop on the green. The real winner is off the tee. For high swing speed players, it really fights side spin and finds fairways

Yea but if that’s all I was looking for I could find it at better than half the price. Just saying. If it’s about having the Titleist name the DT solo, “Tour” Soft, and Probably the velocity offer everything you just mentioned. The point of a urethane cover is to offer a higher level of spin and control.

Great point. Although I’m sure it offers more spin than the balls you mentioned, but valid point.

i agree the price point is crapy, but I feel the ball fits my game really well. May have shaved a stroke/.5 a stroke off my handicap too... :)

This is my point, exactly. The AVX is not a bad ball, but it's just not as good as a Prov 1, or other tour calibre urethane balls, yet is priced the same. And that makes no sense when you can get a Duo Urethane or Project(a) to do the same for considerably less on the pocket book.

This is my point, exactly. The AVX is not a bad ball, but it's just not as good as a Prov 1, or other tour calibre urethane balls, yet is priced the same. And that makes no sense when you can get a Duo Urethane or Project(a) to do the same for considerably less on the pocket book.

I fond the K3 to play almost identical to the AVX. Some say otherwise, but if there is a different, is there a $30 a dozen difference?

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I play a bump and run type style chipping. Im also a very high spin wedge player so Ive had absolutely zero problem getting them to stop on the green. The real winner is off the tee. For high swing speed players, it really fights side spin and finds fairways

Yea but if thats all I was looking for I could find it at better than half the price. Just saying. If its about having the Titleist name the DT solo, Tour Soft, and Probably the velocity offer everything you just mentioned. The point of a urethane cover is to offer a higher level of spin and control.

Great point. Although Im sure it offers more spin than the balls you mentioned, but valid point.

I’m sure it does but he said spin wasn’t a factor. I still found it to spin less than the Chrome Soft and Project (a) and it didn’t fly or launch any lower.

This just in. Titleist balls are priced higher than other brands.

Also, PXG clubs are very expensive and General Franco is still dead.

BigErn compared them to other titleist balls, so while what you said is true, it’s not really the point. Yes some other compared to chrome soft etc but the comparison to titleists own balls is the interesting one.

I played the AVX yesterday and I loved it. No issues at all. Titleist claims low ball flight but for me it flew as high as the TP5 or Chromw Soft. I guess what they meant is lower han the Pro V1 which for me goes way too high with my driver.

What I loved about the ball is the distance (for my game) and how it feels awesome. There was nothing about the spin around the green that I saw as negative. Perhaps at my 14 handicap I’m not good enough to see the huge difference versus a pro V1. There were a few tee shots that were further than usual for me on a course I play a lot.

My conclusion is that it’s a great ball. However, I’m going to be bold enough to say that the titleist Tour Soft is either just as good or slightly below the AVX performance wise for a lot less.

Next time I play I will alternate holes between the AVX and the Tour Soft to see if For me and how I play it’s worth the difference in price. I’ll compare it to the project A while I’m at it. Lol.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

These just aren’t for me. Anyone wants two sleeves unopened reasonable shoot me a PM.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I loved this ball when I tried it and that was down in the Pinehurst area during the winter. And LOL @ Duo being just as good. The Duo is one of those "its a good ball for the money" balls like the QST but it is not even in the same zip code as the AVX. I think for the average amatuer golfer the AVX is a great ball other than being overpriced a bit.

I loved this ball when I tried it and that was down in the Pinehurst area during the winter. And LOL @ Duo being just as good. The Duo is one of those "its a good ball for the money" balls like the QST but it is not even in the same zip code as the AVX. I think for the average amatuer golfer the AVX is a great ball other than being overpriced a bit.

The Duo urethane I’m sure was the comparison and not the regular marshmallow surlyn/ionomer duo ball.