Where is the tell tale sign of getting aged. ( in golf ).

I dug up some iron sets I had from about 30+ years ago.

Great Indian Summer today and might be the best golfing day for 2018 thus far..... So off I went to an early twilight rate at a near by golf course.

Brought an extra wind jacket and vest, ended up never needing them. The sun shine was so nice on my face and body.

Golf course situated on top of one of the peak in the mountain range, drained very well so no muddy spots but a few soft area.

I was having a good time except that every iron shot I had was 10-15 yards shorter than I remembered. These Wilson Staff Fluid feel with TTDG S300 was custom ordered from a pro shop back when. Today I had to use a 5 iron for a 7 iron shot and hit 2 beautiful 3 irons to the par 3 but ended up 10 yards short .

Maybe it's a sign telling me it's time to pack these up or have someone whom will appreciate these to put them in their bag...... Driver worked well and hybrids, fairway wood, putter all seemed performed up to par . Just the irons..... SIGH.

I'll dig up other sets of irons for next round. These are too nice to reshaft. Want to keep the original ferrule .

I know exactly how that feels, but I've felt it often enough that I've made it a rule never to draw any conclusions from out-of-summer play. In winter, and even spring, everything is against you in terms of distance - temperature, ground conditions (barring a good frost!), layers of clothing. If it feels like you're hitting them well, I'd hold on to them at least until summer when you can make a proper judgement.

Father time is undefeated!

Texsport

• Like 1

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

I think it's all in the eyes. Played yesterday and lost sight of the ball several times. Was hard to follow it all the way to the ground because of the low sky and my eyesight. I thought it was a sign of getting old but I'm still in denial. Instead, I've decided I'll know I'm old when I start hitting them so short, that I CAN see the ball all the way to the ground! :)

• Like 2

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Seems to me to be a subtle post about how lofts are all jacked up today.

I didn't get that out OP's post at all- I've become familiar with that deflating feeling of taking out old iron sets of mine, puring shots, and having them mysteriously fall out of the sky one club short. I've accepted it and moved on, grateful to be scoring about the same as always.

Callaway RazrFit 10.5*  Matrix Radix HD 6S

Ping G5 13.5* 2d Driver   Aerotech Power Coil 50S

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

Seems to me to be a subtle post about how lofts are all jacked up today.

Yeap,

These are the same irons which I get 150 with a 7 iron maybe 6-7 years ago, then put them back because other sets of irons gets 160 yards for 7 irons.

Not just the loft is a bit weak, maybe 1° - 2° weaker , also the length was ordered 1/2" shorter at D3 swing weight.

Can't seemed to be able to motor the set any longer. I could go back to the gym and try high protein diet on top of the work out but, not really motivated at this age.

My kids told me that they'd love to have some of my golf clubs in the future, and I promised to let them have a few sets.

It was kind of sad to look at these irons and remembered how I could hit them back then. No little blue pills for the cure.

I don't know at what age your game will suffer, but mine went when I was about 67. I steadily lost yardage, I used to average around 260+ with a swing speed of 103, I now average 200 carry and hope for 20 yards roll out. My concentration is not as keen either. I am in very good condition for my age, 180 lbs, 6 ft, but not much muscle left.

• Like 1

It’s never good to revisit old equipment. Clubs that I thought were the cat a** in days gone by, I can’t even hit any more. Look like crap, shafts too stiff and balls go nowhere. I haven’t gotten worse (actually I’m better now than 10 yrs ago) but I am less willing to put up with shots that are terrible (feel and result) if I miss the sweet spot by 1/4”.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

• 2 weeks later...

The older you get the better you used to be.....

Not long ago someone asked me what my best ever score was..."65 gross" was my reply "I remember holing out with my Tom Watson TW55 for an eagle three on the last like it was yesterday,still have the Strata ball at home."

I had a dig through the archives and there it was,written on it;'20/03/05 HGC 68'

I had the good grace to blush and apologised to my pal the following day for the slight flaw in my recollection.

Full length mirrors. Am on the road getting ready to play in my first hickory event. Just stepped out of the shower and over to the vanity area. Who is that "old man" in the mirror!!! And to add injury to insult, I had to put on my glasses before I could see that old dude!!!

That's the mistake - putting on the glasses. I look so much younger and thinner without my glasses!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

"Where is the tell tale sign of getting aged. ( in golf )"

When you not only have to move up 2 Tee Boxes but also 2 Clubs.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I had re-confirmed today, that I should hang up my Apex 5 shaft in the irons. The more I get into the round, the more that I realized this shaft used to be loved a few decades ago should be either stored from now on or let someone else enjoy it.

Sadly as it was, I surrendered to the fact that I could not make these shaft sing any longer like they used to charmed me.

Well, Spring is here.

I will re-shaft one set of iron to R flex steel for this season, I don't have time for the gym work out nor stretching exercise at home. At my age, I will try anything to save part of the game I used to be familiar with.

I've already blown through the R shafts, my latest shafts are A flex. Happily since my clubs are hickory its not so obvious - no shaft label to call me out.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Well, Spring is here.

I will re-shaft one set of iron to R flex steel for this season, I don't have time for the gym work out nor stretching exercise at home. At my age, I will try anything to save part of the game I used to be familiar with.

I've already blown through the R shafts, my latest shafts are A flex. Happily since my clubs are hickory its not so obvious - no shaft label to call me out.

Good for you, same as I was told to enjoy the game more instead of trying to birdie most of the holes ( before teeing off , anyway ).

There are stories about some Tour players and the Champions Players had changed the shaft bands on their golf club to have the appearance of playing a stiffer shaft. I had passed the vanity stage, the losing of distance is what's happening right now, I'm sure lower ball trajectory is coming next. Then, eventually I'll need a spotter to see where the tee shots had gone...........

Let's see if I could get some those lost distance back this season, sure would try because it'll not get easier.

Tell tale signs of aging:

Golf hurts more.

LOL, I can feel that.

Just had the first round of the year wearing shorts yesterday, and I have not visited that hilly golf course for 7-8 months. Man, my knees and shoulders got a good work out. A couple of ibuprofen took care of that. I'm not driven to have vodka + diet Pepsi to get lubed , yet.

Storm is coming for the next few days and temperature will drop 15°-20° with wind gusting over 30 MPH. More snow in the mountain, in late March ? I know the weather will be changed since the titanium plates in my arm is acting up.

How about applying a generous dose of lead tape prior to re-shafting?

Just a thought...

Weather is definitely a factor,when it's cold and windy there's not a great deal of incentive to go and hit some balls to loosen up prior to play.

Invariably I find that I start to play better as the round progresses,today I fudged it round the front nine then played decently on the inward half countered slightly by the fact that my back and knees were tiring rapidly (my own fault for persisting in carrying).

Summer (will the UK have one?) will hopefully be different,on warm days I'll go two hours earlier and sort out my clubs,have coffee and hit balls in a relaxed fashion before playing,at present my shorts are remaining in the wardrobe,thermal longjohns and waterproof trousers are still the fashion.

How about applying a generous dose of lead tape prior to re-shafting?

Just a thought...

Weather is definitely a factor,when it's cold and windy there's not a great deal of incentive to go and hit some balls to loosen up prior to play.

Invariably I find that I start to play better as the round progresses,today I fudged it round the front nine then played decently on the inward half countered slightly by the fact that my back and knees were tiring rapidly (my own fault for persisting in carrying).

Summer (will the UK have one?) will hopefully be different,on warm days I'll go two hours earlier and sort out my clubs,have coffee and hit balls in a relaxed fashion before playing,at present my shorts are remaining in the wardrobe,thermal longjohns and waterproof trousers are still the fashion.

Yes, had done that by adding tip weights and lead tapes to bring the swing weight to D3-D4, I used to play D-1 most of my golf in the past decades except for the wedge. No, that did not help this golfer. I think I need to finally play a softer flex in irons. Some of my peer had gone to regular flex and graphite shaft years ago, they asked me the reason of not switching with them..... at that time this old guy could still swing Apex 4 with confidence and once in awhile when body was feeling good even the Apex 5 shaft was no problem. I could really feel the changes in my body late last year and this Spring. My total weight did not change much but the shrinking buttock and thigh and funny thing is my fingers had gotten thinner like I was in my 20's. Some of my trousers seemed grew an inch or so over the Winter....

I also was tempted of back weighing the irons. Had a roll of lead tape on order and will try that at some point this season.

My wife asked, didn't you have that thing you push around ? Yes, the push cart helped but not on a hilly terrain. I might try half a set of golf club next time out.

Oh and my family MD. added a couple new medicine to my diet. I hate to be taking pills everyday. Rather have a Costco hot dog, with lots of mustard.

WK, reading through your lament on the old clubs not performing as they once did and trying to come up with meaningful commentary to add.

As I've gotten older (currently 66.75), find that determining the proper shaft to the new reality makes a big difference. A strong preference for LW (sub 100g) , tip soft steel shafts is now the order of the day. Swinging anything like TTDG is to fatiguing over the course of a round. And is something of a necessity do to playing lengths longer than standard (working off a 38" 7 iron). Helps in decreasing the overall club weight. Separate from SW issues. And I've not needed to go the graphite route. No ailments or joint afflictions that require it, and most graphites (without paying a premium for the weight) are to light. For a well seasoned golfer, I'm a fan of Nippon 950's. Smooth, light weight, tip soft to aid in trajectory and a less 'boardy' feel. You may find that they can be played in S easier and more effectively than heavier, tip stiff shafts in R.

I understand the fact that one does not choose to reshaft certain classic irons. I have my fair share in inventory. They are not worth the bother or are best left original. But there are certain ones that have redeeming qualities that I like to play with regularity. And they become a candidate for installing suitable shafts to make them playable on a long term basis.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs