New Ownership: Matrix Shaft Co. & Dustin Johnson

Matrix have been doing shafts for OEM's for a decade or more. May be coincidental but i thought they dropped off post JC.

It's not a coincidence...

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5
MIURA CB57 4-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Tiger is in on this and put the TP7HD in to play just to give the shaft and his new company some publicity, it would be a Tigeresque this to do. How many times has he sacrificed his play to make money? Not that the TP7HD isn't a great shaft, but Tiger left the 2017 M2 to move to the 2018 M3 with Twist Face. His driver is the problem (as it has been), but why not just play what works best? He's doing it with his irons and wedges, but why is he weird with the driver? Because the driver sells the most?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

If Tiger is in on this and put the TP7HD in to play just to give the shaft and his new company some publicity, it would be a Tigeresque this to do. How many times has he sacrificed his play to make money? Not that the TP7HD isn't a great shaft, but Tiger left the 2017 M2 to move to the 2018 M3 with Twist Face. His driver is the problem (as it has been), but why not just play what works best? He's doing it with his irons and wedges, but why is he weird with the driver? Because the driver sells the most?

Ego plus money from TM to switch. It’s been pretty clear his desire to hit it the longest on tour and he was all over Rory asking him last week about his switch to the Tensei Orange and him picking up 5 mph ballspeed. Who knows, I may be wrong but that’s just my 2 cents from observing from 35,000 ft.

Contracted Tour players are required to switch to the new woods within a set period of time. It's contractually mandated.

Contracted Tour players are required to switch to the new woods within a set period of time. It's contractually mandated.

If that's true, that's a huge mistake on TaylorMade's part with Tiger if he can play a lot better with the 2017 M2

Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping Vault Arna

Not every tour player has the clause in their contract, many top players are switching more frequently nowadays because of the way most courses are setup. Any distance gain seems to be preferred than staying with whats working it seems.

915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
712U 2I (DG S300)
714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)
TP5

He never played the 2017 m2...he played the 2016 m2 with a Tensei CK Pro White

Ah, you are right. And from what I’ve read here the 2016 M2 is the best M series driver TaylorMade has put out.

Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping Vault Arna

This may be the first instance of this type of ownership and involvement structure for a shaft manufacturer that I'm aware of, but my impression has always been that except for just a few exceptions, the arrival of a big name player to get behind a brand is usually the kiss of death. The main exception I can think of would be Norman's involvement with Cobra, and that wasn't as much of a scenario where Cobra hitched their whole wagon to Norman, but Norman had a piece of part of the international business at one point. I'm thinking about Nick Price, Tom Watson at Adams and others like that, where the name player's arrival almost heralded the end of the company. Hogan seems to be the only player that ever made this kind of transition successfully, in that he was able to parlay his playing reputation and demeanor into the core of the club brand, and it worked for the demographic they wanted to target.

It seems like all of the stand alone shaft companies have a tough time making numbers that can support a viable entity. Maybe it's that consumers have at least grown wise enough to understand that having DJ's name on a shaft at Dick's sporting goods doesn't have a meaning that would engender strong brand affinity.

How many players have stepped in to these scenarios and had it unwind or implode? It seems like the history of the second tier brands in the golf business is littered with these examples. That doesn't necessarily doom this one, but imho it doesn't bode well.

Taylormade r11s 9 Penley Stealth 70x 44.5" D-3 ------> Taylormade 16 M1 8.5 GD AD TP6x 44.0" D3 [s]PX Hzrdus Black 75 6.0 44.5" D-3[/s]
Nickent 3DX Pro 14 MRC Diamana WB 83s
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 Grafalloy CNote ProtoX
Mizuno MP62 DG x-100 Sensicore D-4 3-pw ---------> Ping i200 DG120 S3 D-3 +1/4" Red 4-U.
Vokey SM6 56-14/60-04M DG x-100 Sensicore 1xss D-5 ------------> Vokey SM6 56/10 60/4M DG 120 S300 35" D-5
Scotty Golo

I don't think Tiger has ever done this. He is using a TaylorMade proto blade instead of anything they market to the masses. He seems to be one of the tour pros that tests clubs to death to make sure they are better than what he is currently gaming and has said as much.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

Has anything been actually confirmed on what players are in on this? I don't see anyone on tour using their product consistently

Titleist TSi3 9.0 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Series RAW Orange 65 TX
Titleist TSi3 15 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series Pro Orange 90 TX

Titleist TSi2 21 w/ Aldila NV 105-X or CNCPT CP-03 3i w/ TT DG120TI

Titleist CNCPT CP-02 4i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold TI X100
Vokey BVHG SM8 46.10F, 50.12F, 54.10S, 60.08M w/ TT DG TI
Scotty Cameron Roundback Tour 1.5 Weld Neck
WITB Link

I don't think Tiger has ever done this. He is using a TaylorMade photo blade instead of anything they market to the masses. He seems to be one of the tour pros that tests clubs to death to make sure they are better than what he is currently gaming and has said as much.

No, not yet. He still has the Nike designed TGR stamped model.

Cobra F9 9.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
Cobra F9 14.5*, UST Helium 49 F2
TXG Custom SIM Max 7-wood, Accra 140 2.0 M2
TXG Custom Mizuno CLK 23*, Tensei Red CK 60 R
TXG Custom, Mizuno JPX 919 Hotmetal 6-pw, 1* up, + 1/2", UST Recoil ESX 460 R, Soft Stepped Once
Cobra Forged Tour 6-iron, 28*, Accra Tour 85 R
TXG Custom Ping Eye2+ BeCu 53*, Accra 90i R
TXG Custom Glide 1.0 56*, Accra 90i R
TXG Custom Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, DG S300
MacGregor  Nicklaus VIP 04 35"

I heard the same thing and the other player is none other then Tiger! Hence why he made the switch back to the TPHD shaft he is using now. No idea if this is just rumor or not but that is what I was told.

That would be amazing. I would never have to get fit for a shaft again.

Honest question - why?

Because they own a percentage of a company? Unless you swing like DJ or Tiger using what they use makes no sense

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

If that's true, that's a huge mistake on TaylorMade's part with Tiger if he can play a lot better with the 2017 M2

He can miss 60% of fairways with a new one just like the old one

TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

It's interesting that Veylix was created because they were upset that Matrix started doing OEM driver deals. It's got to be a good but sad feeling knowing they were right in that Matrix was screwing up.

Just curious, why is it a bad idea for a company to do OEM deals?

The same reason John Deere didn't want Wal-Mart selling their mowers.

It degrades the quality of the brand.

The question becomes, is selling a zillion more at lower margins worth that result.

TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

anser comin in guns blazing this morning ---

SiM2 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

SiM / Rocket 3w (set 1 tick higher loft) / Diamana TB 70TX tipped 1.0"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

RTX Zipcore Black / 54, 60 / KBS Tour S+

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

The same reason John Deere didn't want Wal-Mart selling their mowers.

It degrades the quality of the brand.

The question becomes, is selling a zillion more at lower margins worth that result.

Agreed, imho the 8620 cast wedges did the same thing for Scratch.

They were DOA anyway as are all boutique brands like that but it helped speed up the watering down for sure

TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

With TW switching to the Pro Orange, surely he is not one of the players. No way he changes shafts again this season imo.

The Rumors people start crack me up..... Tiger is absolutely playing the Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange 70TX and talking about how the driver and fairway wood shaft has "fixed" things . If he's a partner in Matrix the other partners should buy out his shares and kick his arse out.

One of these days you guys are gonna realize pro's don't sell equipment

Anyone who's spent 10 minutes in golf retail knows this. The idea people would buy shafts cuz of who the company is owned by or what shaft some pro plays? rofl

Someone on this forum might but if ALL the people on this forum got together they'd be 1% of the 100 shooters walking in Dicks tomorrow looking at golf clubs.

Of course, now someone is going to reply with "why do they pay them to endorse clubs then" and on and on it goes.

An amateur golfer buying a driver shaft because Dustin Johnson is using it is a little like my wife buying Victorias secret and thinking she's going to look like Alexandra Daddario.

TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Anyone who's spent 10 minutes in golf retail knows this. The idea people would buy shafts cuz of who the company is owned by or what shaft some pro plays? rofl

Someone on this forum might but if ALL the people on this forum got together they'd be 1% of the 100 shooters walking in Dicks tomorrow looking at golf clubs.

Of course, now someone is going to reply with "why do they pay them to endorse clubs then" and on and on it goes.

An amateur golfer buying a driver shaft because Dustin Johnson is using it is a little like my wife buying Victorias secret and thinking she's going to look like Alexandra Daddario.

You and I have been preaching this for years. If a pro's endorsement sold equipment Nike would still be in business after Tiger's astounding 79 wins. I'll repeat that in the last 15 years I can not fill one hand with the number of customers who have said:

"I want the putter/driver/irons/wedges that Player X uses."

Even less for what shaft Player X is using.

Cobra F9 9.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
Cobra F9 14.5*, UST Helium 49 F2
TXG Custom SIM Max 7-wood, Accra 140 2.0 M2
TXG Custom Mizuno CLK 23*, Tensei Red CK 60 R
TXG Custom, Mizuno JPX 919 Hotmetal 6-pw, 1* up, + 1/2", UST Recoil ESX 460 R, Soft Stepped Once
Cobra Forged Tour 6-iron, 28*, Accra Tour 85 R
TXG Custom Ping Eye2+ BeCu 53*, Accra 90i R
TXG Custom Glide 1.0 56*, Accra 90i R
TXG Custom Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, DG S300
MacGregor  Nicklaus VIP 04 35"

You and I have been preaching this for years. If a pro's endorsement sold equipment Nike would still be in business after Tiger's astounding 79 wins. I'll repeat that in the last 15 years I can not fill one hand with the number of customers who have said:

"I want the putter/driver/irons/wedges that Player X uses."

Even less for what shaft Player X is using.

And if they did, why would someone want a shaft Tiger was using? He hits less fairways than most guys on this forum. He's a terrible driver of the golf ball and always has been. He had other virtuoso talents like up and down and putting but driving? If he could sub in almost any other guy in the field to hit his tee shots he'd be a threat this weekend.

TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2