The PowerBilt Story

I found this posting after looking for information about a Bill Kaiser designed H & B putter these fellas made. Very interesting and I hope some of you find it the same.

THE POWERBILT STORY

To most of the world, the sport of golf is older than the sport of baseball. But that was not the case for a firm in Louisville, Kentucky, called Hillerich & Bradsby Co.

The Hillerich family turned the first world-famous Louisville Slugger baseball bat in 1884. It would be over 30 years before a golf club found its way into that small wood turning shop.

John A. “Bud” Hillerich, who was 17 years old when he turned the first Louisville Slugger, knew he had a winner in baseball. From that day in

1884, young Hillerich built the family company into the number-one bat producer in the world.

But as the company expanded, Hillerich realized his own manufacturing expertise would have to be counter-balanced by a strong sales director. Enter Frank Bradsby. Bradsby was a “super salesman” from the St. Louis area who joined with Hillerich in 1911, to form what is now known as Hillerich & Bradsby Company.

Bradsby brought more than the love for selling with him to Louisville. He also brought a love for golf. This love for the game resulted in the first H& B golf club in 1916.

It was a hard struggle during those early days. Golf was still a game for the wealthy, and the wealthy had little interest in baseball. To try and tie the new golf club in with a world-famous baseball bas was not necessarily the successful way to go. It all boiled down to hard work, hard selling, and a quality product.

But very slowly the Hillerich & Bradsby golf club fame began to grow. The clubs were sold to golf professionals and sporting good retailers alike. In 1934, a name was given to the professional line that stands to this day – POWERBILT! The “store line” golf clubs went by various names throughout its history. Louisville H & B, Grand Slam, LoSkore, Louisville Slugger, etc. were all names that graced the Hillerich & Bradsby retail clubs.

The 30’s and ‘40’s were struggling years for H & B golf, and its success was due mainly to the efforts of Bill Kaiser, sometimes known as the “Father of PowerBilt Golf”. An ex-tour player whose career was cut short by a near-tragic accident, Kaiser beat the bushes all over the country to get the PowerBilt name in the door. His fantastic achievements are evident today.

PowerBilt golf clubs were synonymous with quality from the very first. One of their notable features was a brass-back weight that graced every top-grade wood. That famous symbol exists even today, and while other golf club manufacturers have imitated it, it is still recognized as a Powerbilt touch.

The professional market for golf clubs in the ‘40’s and ‘50’s was growing, but not overpowering. At several times, Hillerich & Bradsby considered getting out of the professional golf business and concentrating solely on retail outlets. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and such a step was not taken.

However, during the mid ‘70’s, the shoe was on the other foot, and Hillerich & Bradsby stopped producing golf clubs for the retail business which it had served since 1916. This was a step-well taken, since PowerBilt sales, now sold only to golf professionals, began to climb at a more rapid pace. Through the years, PowerBilt woods were recognized as quality personified. PowerBilt irons have experienced great success over the last 30 years to take their rightful place among the top sellers in the world.

This tremendous surge of success in the early ‘70’s soon necessitated a move that was long overdue. The H & B golf clubs had been manufactured in the same plant in Louisville since 1916. In the early 1970’s, the company committed itself to expanding its manufacturing facilities and moved into world-famous “Slugger Park” in Jeffersonville, Indiana. The company maintained its corporate headquarters in downtown Louisville, only a few minutes drive from the plant. PowerBilt shares seven acres under roof with its Louisville Slugger compatriot, as well as extensive testing and research departments, and administrative assistants. In 1997 H&B returned manufacturing to Louisville and today distributes all PowerBilt products out of California and China.

Today, PowerBilt golf enjoys a reputation and prestige unmatched in the golf world. The company is still privately-held and family-owned, and retains the same philosophy of craftsmanship and friendliness that provided such a firm foundation in 1916. PowerBilt has enjoyed a rich history in professional golf exposure and success includes such outstanding players as Isao Aoki, Miller Barber, Frank Beard, Charles Coody, Bill Kratzert, Bobby Nichols, Fuzzy Zoeller, Larry Mize, Steve Lowery, Kenny Perry, Leonard Thompson, Chip Beck, Jodie Mudd, Ted Schultz, and Grant Waite as contract tour players.Many others who have played individual drivers or iron sets have also won through the years. These players have led to over 140 professional tour wins including 8 Major Championships won by PowerBilt contract Tour Professionals. Below is a list of those Major victories:

1932 PGA Championship – Olin Dutra

1934 US Open – Olin Dutra

1964 PGA Championship – Bobby Nichols

1967 Masters – Gay Brewer

1971 Masters – Charles Coody

1979 Masters – Fuzzy Zoeller

1984 US Open – Fuzzy Zoeller

1987 Masters – Larry Mize

Hireko Trading Co. is proud to be the official U.S. licensee of Powerbilt golf products.

• Like 2

I was about 12 or 13 when I graduated from my Johnny Miller Crest Junior set to my first set of PowerBilt 1,3 & 5 wood. I thought I was big time.

They are still in my storage building and I saw them recently....if I handed that 5 wood to one of the “kids”at my club - they’d freak out.

Thing is tiny. I remember crushing that thing.

But it should be noted that I remember being a lot better than I actually was.

• Like 1

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

freddiec

Don't you have a Power Bilt driver made for Benhard Langer?

I've got one made for Gay Brewer + Iron sets for Charles Coody and Fuzzy Zoeller.

Will try to find them and post some pics.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Freddie-

A very sold persimmon from H&B/PowerBilt... 1986 you say?

" ....I wish I knew the story on this driver, but it was made up for him."

This story would be a nice bookend to those 1985 Wilson Staff Tour Blade irons Robert Mendralla custom ground for Bernhard Langer....that you own.

Remember when you wanted to get Langer to sign the 1 iron to this set?

Same guy that won the '85 Masters, the guy that put the coat on Jack for his 6th in '86...another piece of history....in your hands..

That Langer driver pic brings back memories. I had one that I believe had the same soleplate but it had a black insert and the backweight which I believe was brass? Not sure. Only other driver that sticks out in my mind from those days was a MacGregor Eye O Matic (I believe it was one of those remakes from the past). Was difficult to find a driver that worked but those 2 were very hittable.

Sold the Powerbilt to a friend and he promptly refinished it which made me want it back lol... If I had to pick between the 2 mentioned I would take my old Powerbilt.

Am I correct there is no backweight in that Langer driver? Or are my eyes really that bad....

• Like 1

Steele,

The Langer H&B does have a brass weight on the back. It’s 43.5 inches , D6.5-7 swing weight. Langer put a lot of lead on his Wood Bros , my guess his seeet spot was around D5, but just a guess... Rex, in early 1986 Golf World Rankings was established and Bernhard was the 1st player to be ranked no.1... imo Langer if he putted well in those days probably would have won a few more majors. One of the greatest players of all time imo....

Steele,

The Langer H&B does have a brass weight on the back. It's 43.5 inches , D6.5-7 swing weight. Langer put a lot of lead on his Wood Bros , my guess his seeet spot was around D5, but just a guess... Rex, in early 1986 Golf World Rankings was established and Bernhard was the 1st player to be ranked no.1... imo Langer if he putted well in those days probably would have won a few more majors. One of the greatest players of all time imo....

Freddie-

Not that Langer's had a career on the Champions Tour or anything.....

Get "B.L." to sign that 1 iron...

Fuzzy Zoeller PowerBilt Citation irons.

You can see the Fuzzy stamp sticking out to the left of the lead tape. Graphite shafts.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

I was about 12 or 13 when I graduated from my Johnny Miller Crest Junior set to my first set of PowerBilt 1,3 & 5 wood. I thought I was big time.

They are still in my storage building and I saw them recently....if I handed that 5 wood to one of the “kids”at my club - they’d freak out.

Thing is tiny. I remember crushing that thing.

But it should be noted that I remember being a lot better than I actually was.

I sure hope they have been protected to preserve their condition.

• 2 years later...

I just saw this thread and thought I would add to it.  I obtained from a golfing buddy a set of clubs he had seen in a Texas pawn shop.  They are HB Custom Made Gay Brewer Irons, 2 through Wedge, and woods 1,2,3,4 with original silk covers. Also included a Krogdon putter.  Original leather wrap grips in super condition.  Irons are stamped RegGB20 and woods are GB25.I just saw this thread and thought I would add to it.  I obtained from a golfing buddy a set of clubs he had seen in a Texas pawn shop.  They are HB Custom Made Gay Brewer Irons, 2 through Wedge, and woods 1,2,3,4 with original silk covers. Also included a Krogdon putter.  Original leather wrap grips in super condition.  Irons are stamped RegGB20 and woods are GB25.

Just added these to my collection.

The irons are RecT4290TDC H&B Super Power Bilt and the woods H&B Rec4015DR5. 

Need a clean up but a lovely set with good original grips. Unusually the woods have no back weights?

I am quite new to Power Bilt but do have a set of 7292 irons and some '80's persimmons.

Power Bilt is quite scarce here in the UK so any info on these would be appreciated?

20201215_192357.jpg

20201215_192520.jpg

20201215_192706.jpg

20201215_192912.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Foozle said:

After waiting for months, another bus just turned up and so, in the space of as many months, my Power Bilt collection has gone from zero to 3 sets of irons and woods. Today's arrival is a set of 1984 Century irons to go with the 1953 Supers above and 1972 7292's below.20210121_125756.jpg.ab7e440ec471020eadcafbd80b21be8f.jpg

I must confess, I am a fan. 20201126_125013.jpg.3c4e526fe75378ce1aee97c254520dfc.jpg

The quality of the forgings looks as good as any including Hogan. That may sound sacrareligeous but I say that as a Hogan fan with 13 sets from Precision to Grind.

Power Bilt are rare in the UK. In nearly half a century of playing I don't recall coming up against anyone with Power Bilt in their bag?

What I find curious is that scarcity and quality in this case does not equate to value. Everything I have bought unopposed and for prices probably less than a quarter of what I would expect to pay for comparable Hogan's. Could it be that Power Bilt is the best kept secret in UK classic/ vintage golf?

I am interested to know how are they rated elsewhere including in their homeland?

Or am I missing something?

In Japan, it's possible to find sets of Powerbilt irons for around 80~100 pounds, but they usually are offered for more. I blame Isao Aoki, as he played Powerbilt irons for part of his career, which has given them a degree of cachet here. I'm not entirely positive about this, but he may have been bagging Powerbilts when he became the first Japanese player to win on the PGATour with his victory at the 1983 Hawaiian Open.

I think Jumbo Ozaki used Powerbilts early on in his career, though he's more associated with Bridgestone.

Powerbilt woods, on the other hand, are usually fairly reasonably priced. I have a gorgeous blondie that I picked up for peanuts (shipping cost more than the club itself), and a decent 5w that also cost next-to-nothing. Now all I need is a 3w.

One thing I've noticed when looking for Powerbilt irons here is that there appear to be models with different stampings than US versions. At least, I've seen a number of sets that I can't find anything about on Ironfinder and English-language internet searches.

One day, I will have a set Powerbilt irons, but I've been tasked by Mrs No Catchy Nickname to sell off a few clubs first. 

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 3

This is my PowerBilt store display staff bag that holds my persimmon wood collection.  I also have my just retired set of 1999 Ben Hogan Apex blades in there.  

29939414-CDE6-4A14-99F2-208CAC5CBD5F.jpeg

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on