Corales Puntacana Resort & Clum Championship

Rob G 89

Looks like Romo made a bogey on his first hole

My guess is he's going to have a lot of those. Way to take a spot away from an aspiring player and give it to a guy who probably won't even finish. He's been Mr. WD for a long time.

The tour needs to step in on some of these sponsor exemptions. It seems more like a circus/reality TV show than a tour event. Give Romo a shot on Big Break and keep him off the tour. He has almost no chance at making the cut.

Disagree. Sponsor exemptions generate interest from casual fans that normally wouldn't watch. I appreciate the attempt to grow the game vs an "aspiring pro" whose odds to make the cut aren't much better.

Monday Qualifiers make the cut about 35% of the time which is far greater than Romo's probability of seeing the weekend. I don't mind it nearly as much when they give a guy like Steph Curry a start on the Web.com tour but this is the big boy tour and I'd much rather see a guy like Erik Compton who missed the Monday Qualifier by 2 shots have a chance of earning a paycheck.

Romo's handicap isn't low enough to try to Monday qualify and the last time they gave him a spot in a pro field he shot 80 something and WD'd.

If a firm is willing to sponsor an event I'm of the opinion they deserve to pick a player or two who they believe will draw more eyes to their event.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday Qualifiers make the cut about 35% of the time which is far greater than Romo's probability of seeing the weekend. I don't mind it nearly as much when they give a guy like Steph Curry a start on the Web.com tour but this is the big boy tour and I'd much rather see a guy like Erik Compton who missed the Monday Qualifier by 2 shots have a chance of earning a paycheck.

Romo's handicap isn't low enough to try to Monday qualify and the last time they gave him a spot in a pro field he shot 80 something and WD'd.

Lets pump the brakes a bit on Romo getting a "big boy tour" exemption, its not like they gave him an exemption into the Masters. Its a split squad start opposite a WGC week, I've barely heard of half of the guys starting in this event. Do you think anyone really cares if Romo gets a start over (insert the name of half the guys in the field that I've never heard of).

I've never heard of this sponsor, this resort, this course or most of the field. But I've already checked the leaderboard this morning about as much as I would on a normal week.

Romo started off bogey-bogey and has followed it up with back to back birdies. Guy has a lot more game than most will give him credit for.

Stuart Cink agrees with you.

Another part of that WSJ article that was funny was one Tour Player who didn't want to be named said a lot of people would tune in to see a celebrity suit up on Sunday but you don't see movie stars running routes for the Patriots.

Mmmm, they've had guys get "reps" in OTAs or training camp before - Mark Wahlberg comes to mind. Baseball teams bring non-players into camp all the time and they even get into spring training games. I'm not exactly equating the two situations or saying that the web tour is like spring training. So I get what you're saying, I just dont agree/have never agreed RE: sponsors exemptions. Without sponsors, there are no events, if bringing Romo in gets more eyeballs than another player no one knows, more power to them.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I'm sorta surprised this course can host a PGA tour event. I played it while on vacation in December and, while it was very enjoyable, there were really only a couple holes that I'd think tour players would find challenging. While it supposedly plays 7,600 from way back, it really doesn't feel that long as a lot of that yardage is on doglegs that are easily cuttable, and due to the warm moist climate the ball goes a long way and the fairways roll out. I guess when I was out there greens were around 10.5 or 11 and are probably more like 12 or so for these guys, which obviously makes a difference, but honestly I'd be surprised if there aren't some super low scores come Sunday.

A stiff prevailing wind is the biggest defense at Corales. When that wind is blowing 15 mph or more with gusts, it can become a real test. Agreed that there's tons of room off the tee, and when I was there in Feb the rough was almost nonexistent. I would imagine that they could toughen it up by letting that Paspalum rough thicken up and get deep, especially around the greens.

10 minutes away is Punta Espada at Cap Cana. It's a much better course and test of golf IMO. The greens are smaller and the bail-out collection areas leave you with very challenging up & down propositions. PE also has more holes directly on the ocean.

Punta Espada was one of my favourite courses I've ever played--fantastic golf courses. Teeth of the Dog not too shabby either. Good trip all-around :)

Don't we hear enough of Nance when CBS broadcasts? Why now, this interview, which is seemingly going on forever.

Because its the Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship? And probably a decent amount of the people tuning in want to hear about Romo and his round and not about Zach Zakback or Willy Pumarol.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Here’s to hoping DJ Trahan plays well this week. And Gainey . lots of guys local to me in the field.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Don't we hear enough of Nance when CBS broadcasts? Why now, this interview, which is seemingly going on forever.

Because its the Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship? And probably a decent amount of the people tuning in want to hear about Romo and his round and not about Zach Zakback or Willy Pumarol.

I'm watching Zach actually haha. He played on my ex GFs kickball league when he moved to FL when he was turning pro.

Usually they treat a Pumarol on your Willy with antibiotics. That's what a friend told me.

I'm ok with hearing about Romo, just don't want to hear any more of Nance than necessary.

18 looks like a killer hole. They said someone hit driver-driver into it during a practice round yesterday and it's a par 4.

It depends on player length and the wind. I was told when I played there that they usually put the tees up during tournaments for a day or two, and you will actually see some of the players drive the green (~315 carry to clear the water I believe). The 500yds on the scorecard is measured the LONG way around, but unless you are really short, bail out left, or into a serious wind no player should really be playing it that full length...

18 looks like a killer hole. They said someone hit driver-driver into it during a practice round yesterday and it's a par 4.

It depends on player length and the wind. I was told when I played there that they usually put the tees up during tournaments for a day or two, and you will actually see some of the players drive the green (~315 carry to clear the water I believe). The 500yds on the scorecard is measured the LONG way around, but unless you are really short, bail out left, or into a serious wind no player should really be playing it that full length...

Romo moves it pretty well and he just had like 220 into it from the fairway. They showed Ben Crane hit a wood into it earlier today. I've got a hard time believing guys will be driving 18...

Romo moves it pretty well and he just had like 220 into it from the fairway. They showed Ben Crane hit a wood into it earlier today. I've got a hard time believing guys will be driving 18...

See bolded part below above. From the back tees nobody outside Jamie Sadlowski or maybe Cameron Champ is going to be driving the green.

What's interesting about the hole is that the curve of the fairway basically keeps the carry constant all the way across. So if you can carry it 300 you can take it on the line Romo did and leave yourself 200 in, or you can take it just left of the green and have 80 in. Both balls will stay dry at 300 carry but with 275 carry it's an infinitely harder hole.

See bolded part below above. From the back tees nobody outside Jamie Sadlowski or maybe Cameron Champ is going to be driving the green.

I get that but it still looks like a tough long hole no matter what way you measure it. I haven't played there so maybe it just looks intimidating on TV.

I get that but it still looks like a tough long hole no matter what way you measure it. I haven't played there so maybe it just looks intimidating on TV.

Pull it up on your favourite GPS app. The fairway runs up the left and then curves at an angle that is almost 90* to the line of your teeball. Kinda reminds me of that hole that DJ beat Spieth in the playoff on...if you have the carry to get over the hazard you can take what seems like a super-aggressive line (though in this particular case it's actually not really because your landing area is about 150yds wide at that distance).