Tiger Woods Driver Driver Shaft Change in Preparation for Augusta

97speedster

So he's potentially going to game a shaft from a manufacturer he doesn't even own?!?!?!

There is no proof, well outside of the rumor mill, that Tiger is part of the Matrix buyout.

Well that's no fun.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the numerous double digit indexes/handicaps here, that buy new clubs, shafts and balls all the time on a whim that are touted to be the greatest longest most accurate best feeling club heads, irons, wedges, putters, shaft, grip, etc ever can make them work from the minute they buy them. However a touring professional, let alone one of the greatest golfers of all time, who is an equipment geek, has all of the time in the world to practice, based on posts here can't dial in a new shaft a few weeks before the next time he plays on tour but a WRX 24 index can in one range session. :stop:

There has been a higher amount of of "dumb" being posted here recently but there is some PHD level of dumb in this thread.

So the numerous double digit indexes/handicaps here, that buy new clubs, shafts and balls all the time on a whim that are touted to be the greatest longest most accurate best feeling club heads, irons, wedges, putters, shaft, grip, etc ever can make them work from the minute they buy them. However a touring professional, let alone one of the greatest golfers of all time, who is an equipment geek, has all of the time in the world to practice, based on posts here can't dial in a new shaft a few weeks before the next time he plays on tour but a WRX 24 index can in one range session. :stop:

There has been a higher amount of of "dumb" being posted here recently but there is some PHD level of dumb in this thread.

It’s all about changing that traj.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Damn OG, having a rough day? All bile and venom tonight.

I was only kidding with my ownership comment but I fear I’ve sent him over the edge.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

So he's potentially going to game a shaft from a manufacturer he doesn't even own?!?!?!

There is no proof, well outside of the rumor mill, that Tiger is part of the Matrix buyout.

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm....

So now Tiger, Rory and Adam are gaming the TS Orange, seems like the period when everybody started switching to the KK.

If Tiger has a solid driving week after Rory's win then everyone at MRC gets a nice quarterly bonus this year. :D

Did Rory have an MRC shaft in his putter last week at Bay Hill?

Yes Rory led the field in strokes gained putting but he also led in distance off the tee.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Yes Rory led the field in strokes gained putting but he also led in distance off the tee.

That wasn't because of the shaft. Swinging it 120+ takes care of that. How did Rory and Mr. 489 Yards do in the round of 16 on Saturday? :)

From the PGA Tour:

McIlroy recorded 100 putts through four rounds, the fewest of his career in a PGA TOUR round.

His Strokes Gained: Putting total (10.027) was the best of his career.

Stat Rank

Strokes Gained: Off the Tee 31st (1.411)

Strokes Gained: Approach the Green 13th (4.569)

Strokes Gained: Around the Green 20th (1.966)

Strokes Gained: Putting 1st (10.027)

Strokes Gained: Total 1st (17.973)

So now Tiger, Rory and Adam are gaming the TS Orange, seems like the period when everybody started switching to the KK.

It's the new DI6x

Still can't believe he gamed the 8X for so long, beast of a shaft.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

No bile/venom. Simple facts. I know facts are frowned upon here. Oh well. Perhaps I should create a thread in the DoND about something that never took place. ;)

That wasn't because of the shaft. Swinging it 120+ takes care of that. How did Rory and Mr. 489 Yards do in the round of 16 on Saturday? :)

From the PGA Tour:

McIlroy recorded 100 putts through four rounds, the fewest of his career in a PGA TOUR round.

Stat Rank

We all know he won because of his putting that week, but leading the field in distance over several other guys who swing as hard and harder than you do means you're likely hitting more fairways, and Rory had played the same shaft in his Driver for quite some time (5 years if you believe that the Diamana he played was actually a Kuro Kage with a different paint job) and to come out and lead like that with a completely different piece of equipment is substantial, whether or not he won because of it.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

From the PGA Tour:

Stat Rank

We all know he won because of his putting that week, but leading the field in distance over several other guys who swing as hard and harder than you do means you're likely hitting more fairways, and Rory had played the same shaft in his Driver for quite some time (5 years if you believe that the Diamana he played was actually a Kuro Kage with a different paint job) and to come out and lead like that with a completely different piece of equipment is substantial, whether or not he won because of it.

Rory won the API because he was on fire with his putter. EOD. While he had a great week driving the ball the shaft he used it didn't guarantee success. Look at his and DJ's results (1-5) this week. Same putter/driver/shafts/ball. Leading in driving distance for an event never guarantees success. Age old story on tour.

From the PGA Tour:

Stat Rank

Rory won the API because he was on fire with his putter. EOD. While he had a great week driving the ball the shaft he used it didn't guarantee success. Look at his and DJ's results (1-5) this week. Same putter/driver/shafts/ball. Leading in driving distance for an event never guarantees success. Age old story on tour.

I never said it did, I said its significant when someone changes a piece of longtime equipment that they were used to and still has the confidence and talent to lead the category. For as much as we say its the Indian not the Arrow, there are still plenty of guys that drop off or go in to slumps after changing equipment. Everyone made a bunch of noise last year when Rory averaged over 300 yards per drive for some ridiculous stretch but he looked like back nine Sunday Greg Norman with the flat stick and he was missing entire greens from <150y regularly so obviously he was not contending.

The shaft he changed to is a pretty big departure from what he was playing. Its counter weighted and a very different flex profile so for someone like him it is going to FEEL way different and that to me means that a good driver stat is more meaningful than it might otherwise be, that's all.

Bridgestone 

For as much as we say its the Indian not the Arrow, there are still plenty of guys that drop off or go in to slumps after changing equipment.

Tough to use a one week sample size for how his driver shaft change "helped". Rory has been bad with his short iron proximity (on the tour level scale) from 150 yards and less coupled with his putting issues for quite some time. That can not be argued. One hot week doesn't change that.

His new Tensei Orange doesn't change his issues with short iron proximity. As much as his driver shaft change "might" have helped him last week if he doesn't hit the ball closer with his wedges/short irons on a continual basis and make putts it doesn't matter how far/accurate he drives it. He is not the only one.

For as much as we say its the Indian not the Arrow, there are still plenty of guys that drop off or go in to slumps after changing equipment.

Tough to use a one week sample size for how his driver shaft change "helped". Rory has been bad with his short iron proximity (on the tour level scale) from 150 yards and less coupled with his putting issues for quite some time. That can not be argued. One hot week doesn't change that.

His new Tensei Orange doesn't change his issues with short iron proximity. As much as his driver shaft change "might" have helped him last week if he doesn't hit the ball closer with his wedges/short irons on a continual basis and make putts it doesn't matter how far/accurate he drives it. He is not the only one.

Agreed. I've been whining about Mcilroy's approach from that scoring distance for awhile now because he seems to do the same thing that Tiger does off the tee; too often trying to shape something when you should just go straight f****** at it. I'd said before that he looks so much better driving in approach shots with that 3/4 punch follow through and controlling trajectory and spin vs. those big long wrist-y moon balls that seemed to always end up 15+ yards from target and spinning away from the hole. Some of the highlights over the last year were uncanny, almost anytime he flighted something he was throwing darts and any time he had the big long follow through it was a 50/50 chance that it was going to be within 30ft.

Bridgestone 

From the PGA Tour:

Stat Rank

Exactly! Great players always feel like they are one good swing thought or small change away from playing the best golf of their life. Some of the comments on this thread making it sound like I was predicting a 10 hcp to win the Masters LOL..... we are talking about one of the top 3 players of all time trying to gain that little bit of edge to help regain his winning form. TW has 4 back surgeries, lays of for a few years, comes back against all odds and has lingered around the top 10 against the best players in the world.

Here is some insider news on Tiger Woods and his latest change to his driver in preparation for The Masters...

This week Tiger flew up to Augusta National to play 36 holes on Thursday and Friday. He put a new driver shaft in his M3, a Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange 70TX, the same shaft that Rory changed to when he won at Bay Hill last week. Tiger loves the shaft change and in the 36 holes he played at Augusta National the last few days he only missed one fairway.

I wonder if he only missed one fairway in the same way Donald Trump shoots around par every time he plays.

Sounds like the hype machine warming up.

Sounds like that WORST ball 66 he shot a few years ago. I'm skeptical that Tiger Woods could hit 27 of 28 fairways with any club in the bag.

Lol hope this was a joke post, but just in case it was not.

1. he is Tiger Woods not a 30 hcp

2. It was practice

3. It was 27 of 28 not 100 of 100

What is so unbelivable?

No big deal to me. His driving was better the last couple of weeks that it was in LA but it's not like he was hitting every fairway.

That said, I don't buy that he missed one fairway out of 28.

I can guarantee that 27 fairways was fact,that info came from Rob McNamara who was keeping stats and playing alongside TW.

Out of interest, how can you guarantee that?

He has hit 51.61% of his fairways this year. He puts in a new shaft and he hits 96.42%. You can see why I am a little sceptical...

You ever put a new club or putter in the bag that clicks, you love it and then stripe it or make everything?

Tiger is the 2nd most winning player of all time, it's not impossible for him to find his groove with the driver.

Yep, every golfers always searches for that perfect club. I know Tiger does not change very often so this shaft must have won him over. 27/28 fairways are awesome no matter what course one plays on.

Can't wait to see Masters.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Sounds like that WORST ball 66 he shot a few years ago. I'm skeptical that Tiger Woods could hit 27 of 28 fairways with any club in the bag.

2. It was practice

What is so unbelivable?

For starters... Hitting 14 drivers per round?

2. It was practice

What is so unbelivable?

4. Augusta has wide fairways and very minimal rough.

5. The course was probably running slower than it will be tournament time.

6. How many were 2 iron stingers?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

2. It was practice

What is so unbelivable?

The skepticism is because stories about his play in practice rounds have surfaced many times in the past.

Ugh. Great. He’s changing shafts 11 days before the event and will have no competition swings under his belt with it.

Not ideal. I’m envisioning more army Golf in two weeks.

Well when it comes to that aspect of his game, what exactly does he have to lose? Its not a radically different shaft than what he is used to playing (White Profile) but the counter weighting might just be something that works better from a feel perspective. Either way I say go for it, if he drives it in the woods then at least it wasn't because he refused to try something different. :D

He ought to take that M2 with the Tensei white out of the closet and try it.

TM would no doubt be irritated that he wasnt playing their latest model but I think they’d get over it if it helped him.

I honestly wonder if he gives shorter a try. Back down to 43.5” like he played in the early days....maybe even 43”. Anything to hit the damn fairway.

I guarantee he tried that, I would bet a paycheck on it... Most of the suggestions I hear ppl from the forum make, Tiger has likely tried them, it's just not publicized but I'm sure he goes through his paces with all equipment decisions

From the PGA Tour:

Stat Rank

Exactly! Great players always feel like they are one good swing thought or small change away from playing the best golf of their life. Some of the comments on this thread making it sound like I was predicting a 10 hcp to win the Masters LOL..... we are talking about one of the top 3 players of all time trying to gain that little bit of edge to help regain his winning form. TW has 4 back surgeries, lays of for a few years, comes back against all odds and has lingered around the top 10 against the best players in the world. Who would of thought that he would play in the Honda and have a chance to win while beating Fowler, Johnson, etc...

BTW, he also got "randomly" drug tested when he showed up to the Honda and obviously passed. I think the reason you see TW smiling and engaging more on the golf course these days is because he finally doesn't have anything to hide, ie: drugs or women he's banging.

Was enjoying this until you took the obligatory dig/low blow in the last paragraph. The drug suggestion is totally off base (unless you are going to have some inside source for that). Just because you are sensitive about the response to your inside info on Tiger not getting all the love you think it should get, no reason to pander to the lowest common denominator.

Not seeing any real connection to Tiger or anyone associated with him with those comments and no longer trust the messenger (or they shouldn't trust you with his order for lunch).