*Update on my 2nd tourney* My first tournament....humbling.

I've usually played great over the decades under pressure in tournaments. However, last year I played in 1 and after my first shot, which I about holed out on a par 3 and tapped in for a birdie, I shanked about 10 shots the rest of the day, 7-8 in a row! DANG! I'm a 1, so it was hard to swallow. I just went to identifying the cause and got it worked out for most of the middle 14 holes, only to have a couple more shanks arrive when we were out of the tournament for sure. Took a couple more rounds after that to get rid of them for the rest of the season! During the tournament I didn't let the get to me, but rather just dug in deep. I've seen golfers of all abilities melt down emotionally to the point that they ruin golf for the rest of the foursome too with some of their "displays". Hey, it is just a game. As long as you remained a good sport, then that is all that matters.

I like this story. Not because of the shanks, but because of the character. Golf can be a very selfish game, and it is very easy to slip into a personal pity party, thus ruining the round for the rest of the group. While it may have been impossible for the rest of the group to ignore what was happening, at least they didn't have to walk you off a ledge as well, or look out for flying clubs and words. This is the second part of tournament golf isn't it, you got to hang in there and let the others in your group compete...

I am with you OP. After a rain delay of an hour (and we had been ready to tee off on the 1st at the time the hooter blew) I ended up missing a 5 footer for an 11 on the opening par 5, and followed up with a smooth 6 on the 300 yard par 4. I came back in 39, but the damage was well and truly done....

In my junior years, I recall carding a 13 on a 300 yard par 4, and on another occasion blowing 3 OOB on the last hole when a quad bogey would have won me the tournament.....

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Hey WRX'ers!

Played in a local tournament (my first as the the title states) at my home course this past Sunday and lets just say, I forgot how to golf as I typically shoot in the low 80's (my best round to date 73). I got a lesson in the night before and was grooving it. I headed to the course early Sunday morning to putt, chip and hit some full shots, no issues and again grooving it. Fast forward to my tee time and I was hit with nerves and thoughts of don't F up. First tee shot was a low liner left. Second shot was a punch out and I thought, "Ok, par 5 hitting 3...lets just try to get close to the green for an up and down." Third shot was a hosel shank right. At this point I was filled with complete fear and confusion. Its amazing what nerves can do to a swing, so I finished the first hole with a 9 (+4). Hole 2, 157 yard par 3. Easy 8 iron right? WRONG! Hosel it 120 yards to the right. Second shot is a punch 50° wedge about 90 yards, hosel it again. 3rd shot was a de-lofted chip just to get on the green, 2 putt 5 (+2). At this point I am +6 through 2 holes and completely mortified and embarrassed. The day continued to snowball. I would pipe a drive down the middle and then duff/shank my approaches. At this point I just tried to stay out of the way of my competition and keep positive energy for the group. I finished with a 100 (+28), as this was my worst round within the past couple years.

After the round I had sometime to reflect. First, it was a great learning experience and I have much respect for the professionals doing so in front of millions. Second, golf is a wonderful game as it teaches you more than how to get a little white ball in the hole. I was completely humbled by the day as it tested my patience and sportsmanship towards fellow competitors. Going in with such high expectations seemed to add a lot of unwanted pressure. I plan to play in more tournaments in the future and will continue the development of my game under pressure.

Feel free to share some similar experiences/advice/feedback.

- KC

You're a stud for being able to positively reflect. Too many are fearful of even playing competitively. Commit yourself to 2-3 more, and give yourself more adequate time to feel confident with your changes rather than trying something new the night before. Have more fun, less pressure on yourself! Hope you improve this year, keep the good vibes

Hey WRX'ers!

Played in a local tournament (my first as the the title states) at my home course this past Sunday and lets just say, I forgot how to golf as I typically shoot in the low 80's (my best round to date 73). I got a lesson in the night before and was grooving it. I headed to the course early Sunday morning to putt, chip and hit some full shots, no issues and again grooving it. Fast forward to my tee time and I was hit with nerves and thoughts of don't F up. First tee shot was a low liner left. Second shot was a punch out and I thought, "Ok, par 5 hitting 3...lets just try to get close to the green for an up and down." Third shot was a hosel shank right. At this point I was filled with complete fear and confusion. Its amazing what nerves can do to a swing, so I finished the first hole with a 9 (+4). Hole 2, 157 yard par 3. Easy 8 iron right? WRONG! Hosel it 120 yards to the right. Second shot is a punch 50° wedge about 90 yards, hosel it again. 3rd shot was a de-lofted chip just to get on the green, 2 putt 5 (+2). At this point I am +6 through 2 holes and completely mortified and embarrassed. The day continued to snowball. I would pipe a drive down the middle and then duff/shank my approaches. At this point I just tried to stay out of the way of my competition and keep positive energy for the group. I finished with a 100 (+28), as this was my worst round within the past couple years.

After the round I had sometime to reflect. First, it was a great learning experience and I have much respect for the professionals doing so in front of millions. Second, golf is a wonderful game as it teaches you more than how to get a little white ball in the hole. I was completely humbled by the day as it tested my patience and sportsmanship towards fellow competitors. Going in with such high expectations seemed to add a lot of unwanted pressure. I plan to play in more tournaments in the future and will continue the development of my game under pressure.

Feel free to share some similar experiences/advice/feedback.

- KC

What kind of tournament was it? I'd love to play some but don't know where to find any that arent scrambles. I'm not a member of a club so club championships and such are out.

Search some up through California Golf Association

For me it's funny to read this, because in Italy, at least, the only way to lower your handicap is to partecipate tournaments.

Usually, every GC has tournaments on saturdays and/or sundays, and even during the week.

Some tournaments have silly trophys or no trophys at all, other tournaments include big prizes (like free holidays, silver cups etc) and dinners.

I can say that the only way to check your real ability in golf is in tournaments.

It sounds strange to me to lower the handicap in a free round, where you can decide if that round counts or not and MAYBE not all the golf rules are PERFECTLY applied.

I used to play up to 50 tourneys a year.

Actually, I think that even here, from the unification of the handicap system, it will be possible to count non - tournament rounds for the handicap.

Can't wait to see how this will change people's handicap

The thing about tournaments is that when you play poorly, you want to crawl under a rock. But when you play well, it's incredibly rewarding and can be quite the adrenaline rush. For as humbled as you may feel right now, just wait until you piece together a really good round in a tournament (and it will happen as long as you just keep playing them). You'll be on cloud nine. Every emotion on the golf course -- good and bad -- is magnified that much more in a tournament.

I've usually played great over the decades under pressure in tournaments. However, last year I played in 1 and after my first shot, which I about holed out on a par 3 and tapped in for a birdie, I shanked about 10 shots the rest of the day, 7-8 in a row! DANG! I'm a 1, so it was hard to swallow. I just went to identifying the cause and got it worked out for most of the middle 14 holes, only to have a couple more shanks arrive when we were out of the tournament for sure. Took a couple more rounds after that to get rid of them for the rest of the season! During the tournament I didn't let the get to me, but rather just dug in deep. I've seen golfers of all abilities melt down emotionally to the point that they ruin golf for the rest of the foursome too with some of their "displays". Hey, it is just a game. As long as you remained a good sport, then that is all that matters.

I like this story. Not because of the shanks, but because of the character. Golf can be a very selfish game, and it is very easy to slip into a personal pity party, thus ruining the round for the rest of the group. While it may have been impossible for the rest of the group to ignore what was happening, at least they didn't have to walk you off a ledge as well, or look out for flying clubs and words. This is the second part of tournament golf isn't it, you got to hang in there and let the others in your group compete...

Very well said :hi:

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

First off thanks for posting! A few years back I joined a golf league and even that competition took some time to get used to. Now 3 years later I'm playing some of my best golf in league rounds and posting some of the top 2 or 3 scores in my league of 15+ guys.

Lastly. A bunch of years ago I was a competitive waterskier. Competed all over the US. It took me years to get used to competition vs practice skiing. The amount of focus and aggression it takes to overcome those nerves is such a difficult thing to understand and ultimately do! But once you find that focus to do it when it counts it becomes such an empowering feeling.

Keep it up! It'll get better.

Any time you are out of your comfort zone and trying to golf, this can happen. Whether it's playing a new course, with strangers, with people watching, whatever. It's just something you have to keep forcing yourself to do if you want to keep improving and be a well rounded golfer. A buddy of mine had numerous rounds under par last year, including a few -5 and a -6. In the CC he shot 74-77, which were probably his highest two rounds on that course all year. It happens, but life goes on.

I returned to tournament golf last summer. I had been shooting in the low/mid 70's and was very confident going into it. First hole two OB and it was probably the worst experience of my life. I was jittery over two inch putts and at times felt like I couldn't even hit the ball. Ended up shooting a 97. Was planning on withdrawing but decided to play day 2. Started the first hole OB again and went double, double, double. I finally had a sense of giving up and just started playing golf if that makes sense. I ended up making par on the remaining 15 holes and shot a 78. It was an amazing feeling and that first tournament made me a better golfer.

I too played in my first tournament at the end of last season. Leading up to it I was playing good, consistent, and short game was in a good spot. I thought given my last few rounds out that I would be in a decent spot in the standings and was ok with that, especially being my first tournament. My main focus was to stay positive during my rounds and not beat myself up over bad shots. Well it didn't go as planned and came in last place overall. I never did get down on myself, which truly is the biggest win for me. Side note though, during both rounds I strung together a couple birdies and hit it to a foot or so on the last hole. Overall looking forward to doing it again this year.

OP,

Pretty soon you’ll be enjoying the competitive play more so than the casual rounds, and will get more familiar with the trappings of tournament golf.

No matter what the level, once you venture into the world of playing properly by the rules, it’s hard not to incorporate that mindset even when walking a twilight nine.

Like others have stated, “The majorly of golfers never allow themselves the experience.” Embrace your boldness and above all, remember it’s still a game, respect it, yourself, and your fellow competitors.

Everyone's stories, feedback, insight, affirmations and support is why I love this thread. Appreciate every single response and I look forward to the next opportunity to improve my tournament play!

- KC

Wood Bros Kool Cat F-1 - 11°

TaylorMade Tour Cleek - 16°

Ping Eye 2 - 1 Iron

[Irons - TBD]

Cleveland Reg. 588 - Special 49°

Wilson Staff Dyna-Power - SW

Scotty Cameron CA Coronado - 34"

Great thread - I agree with everyone who has said that the key to playing well in tournaments is to play in as many as you are able. Eventually you will develop a comfort level with the experience that will allow you just to go and play golf without having to manage the additional pressure you put on yourself as a first timer.

I used to do crazy stuff like lessons the day before, hit 300 balls a day leading up to the tournaments, empty my entire bag the night before and spit shine everything, show up 1.5 hours early, hit 100 putts, hit another 100 balls...

Then I learned that i need to make the round feel as normal as possible. If my clubs are dirty, they stay dirty. I show up at the same time, roll 10 putts, and go.

Also, to finally get over the hump, I started doing a couple of shots at the trunk before playing... I kid you not! I'm not a big drinker, but it smoothed everything out. Once I stopped starting my rounds double/double/double, I quit that practice, but it really did get me over the first tee jitters. lol

Wow. I had to double check who the OP was, because I thought it was me and I'd forgotten I'd posted it. Had a similar experience last year. Got to the first tee in my first ever tournament brimming with confidence, after having striped the ball on the range, and duck hooked into the woods. That was the beginning of an embarrassing day on the way to a 105, where I sat dfl. Worst part was, I didn't feel nervous at all on the tee box.

That was my worst score of the season, and while I never felt I played to my potential, I did learn that tournament golf is a different animal, and I'm not as good a golfer as I thought. This year my goal is to relax and enjoy the rounds, manage the course better, and 'dance like no one's watching'.

My story goes like this...I played my first tournament ever last year at age 32 after having played golf basically my whole life. There's an amateur, flighted tour that plays events nearby and as an 8.0 at the time, I was in the B flight. It was a 2-day, Stableford tournament.

Day 1, my buddy and I arrived very early to have time for lunch and a good warm-up...*mistake*...arriving so early gave me too much time to get inside my own head. I was hitting full shots pretty well considering the nerves but I could barely hold the putter. Took until the 10th hole before I felt like I wasn't shaking just holding it. Ended up shooting 92 with 4 triples but thanks to the Stableford format, it wasn't all bad. (In hindsight, I should have just picked up after double because the strokes didn't matter).

I drove home feeling totally defeated, questioning everything about my golf and my life having spent so much time and money practicing. But by the time I got home, I had turned my mental state around and was able to get a good sleep, refreshed for the next day.

Next day I drive to the course (about an hour) and this is where things turned around...I had an epiphany and realized that whenever I'm playing golf with clients or potential clients I tend to play better than with friends. I realized that it's because I'm focused on making sure the other people in my group are enjoying themselves. I talk more to people, try and keep the mood as light as possible and in turn, my golf game benefits. I still had plenty of time to focus on my golf game and let people focus on theirs but keeping my attention on the group (not always verbal, for those thinking "this guy would be a huge pain to play with") helps me ignore the bad shots and brush them off. Having the mental state of being a "host" so-to-speak keeps my mindset positive.

Long story short I shot 77 on Day 2 and won the B flight in a playoff. I played in 1 other tournament last summer, finished middle of the pack in the A flight and plan on playing several more this year. There's nothing quite like the feeling of tournament golf but I highly recommend every golfer, regardless of skill level try it at least once.

Also, to finally get over the hump, I started doing a couple of shots at the trunk before playing... I kid you not! I'm not a big drinker, but it smoothed everything out. Once I stopped starting my rounds double/double/double, I quit that practice, but it really did get me over the first tee jitters. lol

Good advice! My weekend rounds include a couple/few drinks on the course. If the tourney is on a weekend, giddyup.

Definitely different. I've been doing it for years and it's never easy. The one thing I would recommend is, try to normalize the round as much as possible. If you hit 15 balls and 15 putts before a typical round, do that for the tourney. No need to show up 2 hours early, hitting 100 balls, etc.

So true. I had two rounds where I went through a bucket+, and stepped up to the first tee with a head full of swing thoughts and doubts because I hit it so bad on the range. Now, I'm stretching, working on technique, hit a half dozen or so, and take an Aleve.

Also when I hit a bad shot(s) during the round, rather than stressing myself out, I remind myself I'm not working, nobody cares other than my golf buddies, and there are a lot of people that would love to be playing but are physically unable to.

Pre-shot routine, pre-shot routine, pre-shot routine! When you are practicing, do you go through your pre-shot routine....heck do you even have a pre-shot routine? For me, my pre-shot routine is key in helping me avoid paralysis by analysis. Keeps me centered, and focused.

Good luck on future tournaments. Once you have the tournament bug, you won't be able to get enough.

Dont give up, it was one tournament. Look at it this way, it is out of the way and you know what to expect from now on. Keep up the hard work and grind it out.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Good for you for taking on tournament golf! Your next tournament will be totally different for you as you'll know what the feeling is like. It won't bother you near as much.

I have a similar story.... I played junior golf and played a lot of am tournaments when I was in college so I'm no stranger to tournement golf. Didn't play any tournaments my four years right after college because I wasn't playing very much (was in grad school). Last year I decided to return to tournament play. First hole of a 54 hole tournament. Its a Par 4 with a 90 degree bend; fair way runs out at about 230. No big deal, I thought. It was really wet out so I figured a nice easy 5 wood. Hit the ball really well on the range so I wasn't too worried. As I'm standing over the ball I can feel the blood completely drain from my brain. I should have backed off and regrouped but... alas... dead topped the thing. It went about 3 yards (no joke, 3 yards) in the the rough between the tee boxes... lie is absolute cabbage. Hack it out. Still not to the dog leg. I was laying 5 before I even got to the green. Made triple bogey 7.

Everyone's stories, feedback, insight, affirmations and support is why I love this thread. Appreciate every single response and I look forward to the next opportunity to improve my tournament play!

- KC

My horror story has a mini-redemption story in the same round. I played in the state am qualifier last summer. Tough course (75.0/141), front is US Open style, back is links style...started on the back and it's blowing 25-30 with gusts in the mid 40s...it was rough to say the least.

scratched out pars on the first 4 holes...including a 390yd par 4 that I hit driver, 5 iron, 8 iron, sank a 40 footer. Bogeyed the 14th, then took an 8 on a par 5 into the wind, got a terrible break by landing in a divot that you could bury a cat in...in the middle of the fairway on 16. Double. Chipped in for bird on the par 3 17th, then took a 9 on the into-the-wind par 5 18th. 9 over 45 on the first 9.

Got it back together on the back to shoot even through the first 7 (9 over through 16 holes) then bogey (3 jack from 100') double (stymied by a tree, then bunker) finish...and miss qualifying by 2.

That 3 putt on the 17th hole really rattled me and ultimately made me press too hard to make up for it on 18. If I'd have just parred the par 5s on the front, I'd have gotten 3rd or 4th overall and, more importantly, easily qualified. But the fight back after a rough 9 was a good feeling and I know it'll help me next time around. Keep fighting! Tournament golf really is the best kind of golf!!

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

It has happened to anyone who has played tournament golf but the more tournaments you play you learn how to channel only positive thoughts. As was written in a previous post a consistent pre-shot routine on every shot is a tremendous help in getting your mind to focus. One thing that an old pro I knew who had played the tour in the 1940's told me was to narrow my focus to a specific area. Instead of aiming for the left side of the fairway on a tee shot, aim for a specific spot on the left side. Maybe a place where the grass is a different color or there is a little mound in the fairway. Or if your target is a tree in the distance, pick out a specific limb on that tree to be your target. It's all about making yourself focus on a small, specific target. It is amazing how you begin to relax and not think about your swing. Your focus now is on where you want to hit the ball. It takes effort and practice but it really does work.

Played in a ton of tournaments growing up, if I had to boil it down to 3 keys:

1) Tournaments are an opportunity to learn something about yourself and your game, after every one just note what you did well and what you can work on next time, rinse and repeat

2) Anyone that's any good has embarrassed themselves in a tournament at some point

3) Start betting during your practice rounds, doesn't matter the amount, preferably a stroke play game

You have to understand, too, that nobody cares but you. The embarrassment and nerves and all that are, in part, the pressure of trying to impress. Once you get past that, then you tend to only get nervy when playing well, which is part of the fun!

In my first event 7 years ago, I fired a smooth 87, followed by another even smoother 87. Only finished 32 shots back. But I was totally hooked on the experience.

I only get the shanks when I am playing really good and hitting it so effortlessly... one off the hosel and my tiny little brain just can't deal and the whole ship goes down. The fact you stayed with it is impressive. Sad to say but I walked of after 9 holes in one tournament when I caught a case; to my credit nobody wanted to watch that, I was down to my last golf ball (because my shanks rip dead right into hazards and such) and my ego was fried.

My first tournament I got called for penalty strokes twice (Who really putts a 1/2 inch putt anyway? ) and was dq'd for having 15 clubs (not a smart man as I even knew that rule; I noticed in the 15th hole and called myself out). Ironically, if I wasn't cheating and hadn't been called for 2 non-essential penalties it would have been my best tournament round ever and I would have one round under par in my history.