Playing through, was I wrong?

I play 200 rounds a year and I/we almost always let people play through, usually a single. When I am playing, I can see when a cart is behind us in the fairway and I will start thinking of a place to let them through. Just basic etiquette.

However, I believe the single has to also adhere to etiquette. On a par 4 and we are on the green putting, when the single gets to his ball, instead of waiting until we put the flag in, he stands next to his ball, club in one hand and the other on his hip staring at the green. Am I the only one who finds this rude? My reaction is that I start rushing and them I am less inclined to want to let them through.

I play frequently as a single and I know the group in front can see my cart. On a tee box I never pull all the way up so I am parked next to them, I wait behind the tips so as not to rush them. They can see my cart so they know I am there.

On a par 4 I sit in my cart next to my tee shot until they clear the green. Again they can see my cart so they know I am there, they don't need to see my standing there with my club while they are putting. Same on a par 5, I sit next to my second shot until they leave the green.

Am I the only one that is bothered by this? Is the single with the hand on his hip in the right? Interested to hear opinions.

Thanks

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Wilson Staff D200 19* and 22*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play 200 rounds a year and I/we almost always let people play through, usually a single. When I am playing, I can see when a cart is behind us in the fairway and I will start thinking of a place to let them through. Just basic etiquette.

However, I believe the single has to also adhere to etiquette. On a par 4 and we are on the green putting, when the single gets to his ball, instead of waiting until we put the flag in, he stands next to his ball, club in one hand and the other on his hip staring at the green. Am I the only one who finds this rude? My reaction is that I start rushing and them I am less inclined to want to let them through.

I play frequently as a single and I know the group in front can see my cart. On a tee box I never pull all the way up so I am parked next to them, I wait behind the tips so as not to rush them. They can see my cart so they know I am there.

On a par 4 I sit in my cart next to my tee shot until they clear the green. Again they can see my cart so they know I am there, they don't need to see my standing there with my club while they are putting. Same on a par 5, I sit next to my second shot until they leave the green.

Am I the only one that is bothered by this? Is the single with the hand on his hip in the right? Interested to hear opinions.

Thanks

I think you're not being unreasonable, although you should try to limit your annoyance about things you can't control. A single catching up to a slower group for the first time shouldn't indicate his impatience. If he has been waiting for a couple of holes, then I'd say he becomes justified. But "should" isn't reality, some people feel entitled to play at whatever pace they choose. Just do what you'd normally do, let him through at the appropriate time, and enjoy the rest of your day.

Well first of all any time we become "defensive" on the golf course it takes the fun out of it. The golfer who is ready to hit (isn't ready play what we want) his approach shot is doing everything we want to speed up his play. As long as he waits until the green and possible landing areas are clear there should be no problem here. It's like traffic.

Well first of all any time we become "defensive" on the golf course it takes the fun out of it. The golfer who is ready to hit (isn't ready play what we want) his approach shot is doing everything we want to speed up his play. As long as he waits until the green and possible landing areas are clear there should be no problem here. It's like traffic.

I do agree about ready golf, but staring at us with a club in your hand in my opinion isn't ready golf. I am sure that as I am putting in the flag, he can get out of his cart, check the yardage, grab a club and be ready to hit the moment my rear end hits the cart seat. That in my opinion is ready golf. But, thanks for your opinion, that is what I wanted. In this instance, if the majority of golfers feel I am wrong then it is my responsibility to adjust my behavior.

Thanks

I think you're not being unreasonable, although you should try to limit your annoyance about things you can't control. A single catching up to a slower group for the first time shouldn't indicate his impatience. If he has been waiting for a couple of holes, then I'd say he becomes justified. But "should" isn't reality, some people feel entitled to play at whatever pace they choose. Just do what you'd normally do, let him through at the appropriate time, and enjoy the rest of your day.

You are right, I shouldn't worry about things out of my control and as I keep telling my shrink, "I am working on it". LOL

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

I play quite a few rounds as a single. I can't tell you how many times I've waited patiently for a group ahead on a fairly wide open course to clear the green, proceed to play my shot, and then find the group on the next tee box rushing to hit so they can avoid letting me play through.

If I come up on a group for the first time, I'm definitely going to get my yardage, select my club, and get ready to hit. I'll certainly try to avoid the body language the screams "What's the holdup?". However, if I'm tailing a group for a few holes, and they refuse to look back and acknowledge me, then the body language is going to reflect it.

That said, I've found that the vast majority of groups will let me play through with no issues. I want to be ready to hit when they clear so I don't hold them up on the next teebox.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Agree with OP 100%. Nothing worse than playing in a foursome at a public course on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday and having a single on your butt the entire round. I play as a single often but only early in the week. I am very cognizant of the fact that nobody likes to be rushed, therefore I hang way back of the group in front of me or I go around them making sure not to bother them on my way around.

Edit:

I agree with you, OP, assuming there are multiple groups in front of you and nowhere for the single to go. If not, let him play through rather than be bothered by his presence.

I think you are being unreasonable. The standing next to te ball ready to play is appropriate. Next time you see that you should wave him up and putt out while he is walking to the green. That will make playing through much smother and less rushed. I would also take you hiding in your cart off the tee or in the fairway as you sign that you are content playing behind the group. I would offer to let you through if you bought up on a tee, but wouldn’t make an effort to wave you up.

I can see both sides of this. I've been the single that catches up to a group ahead...and I'll stand in the fairway watching them. But I usually only do this when they won't let me play through or they are playing slow.

I've been in situations where I pull up towards the tee box, the group on the tee box will look back at me, hit their shots, walk to their cart and drive off. They have no intention of letting me play throug even if there is nobody ahead of them. In that situation I make sure they know where I am. I'll stand in the fairway staring at them while they putt out. Once they are off the green my ball is in the air and once again I'll drive up while they're teeing off.

Same goes is someone is just taking way too long. I know a single will play faster than 4. And I don't expect them to play really fast just to make them happy. And I don't rush just to catch up. In fact I usually use the time to play multiple balls per hole.

But sometimes people are just too damn slow and they get pissed when they are made aware of it. I'm not saying this is the case with you.

I'm going the other way - I don't want to sit in my cart and wait, I'd do the same thing as the single behind you. If you read too much into it, that's on you. What would you think if they were walking? Then standing by their ball, hand-on-hip is pretty common, waiting is all they can do.

Next time you see that you should wave him up and putt out while he is walking to the green. That will make playing through much smother and less rushed.

That's my favored way of doing it. Have him hit into the green and then putt while he is walking. Start to tee off while he is putting and he gets to the tee box in time to tee off seamlessly with your group. He hits his second and is off while you mosey down the fairway to your group's tee shots.

I play frequently as a single, and I want the group in front of me paying attention to and keeping up with the group in front of them, not looking back at me.

If it's busy and the group in front of me is tight with the group in front of them, there is no where for me to go anyhow, so I accept that as a single.

Frankly, the only time I really expect to play through is on a par 3. That's the best time to get waived up.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

When I get to my ball I like to get out of the cart, and I’m sure I often stand with my hand on my hip. It doesn’t mean I’m impatient or trying to stare you down. If I’m looking at the green I’m probably thinking about my next shot. You are way overthinking this.

Definitely possible. Thanks

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

When I get to my ball I like to get out of the cart, and I’m sure I often stand with my hand on my hip. It doesn’t mean I’m impatient or trying to stare you down. If I’m looking at the green I’m probably thinking about my next shot. You are way overthinking this.

That sounds like me, although in the tee box situation (where I am approaching an occupied tee box) I will typically stay a discrete distance away and in my cart.

dave

If there's nowhere to go, I intentionally position myself and act in a way to reduce any potential to apply "pressure" to the group ahead of me as much as possible.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I play frequently as a single, and I want the group in front of me paying attention to and keeping up with the group in front of them, not looking back at me.

If it's busy and the group in front of me is tight with the group in front of them, there is no where for me to go anyhow, so I accept that as a single.

Frankly, the only time I really expect to play through is on a par 3. That's the best time to get waived up.

That's fine when the course is packed, and there's nowhere to go. However, I find many foursomes with holes open in front of them failing to look behind them. Do they assume that there are no faster players behind them? Yes, rule one should be to keep pace with the group ahead. However, rule two asks that a group be cognizant of the groups behind them, and let faster groups play through if there is an opening.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

^^^ Understood. Since I live in NJ, I don't know anything other than a packed-out golf course. :-(

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

^^^ Understood. Since I live in NJ, I don't know anything other than a packed-out golf course. :-(

I guess it begs the question then as to why the course starter would send out a single on a packed golf course? I've had to do this on occasion when the threesome I was playing with failed to show, and there were no other singles to join me. In that case I try to let the group ahead know that I'll be following them, and that I won't be playing through. I'll also avoid hanging on their coattails as much as possible.

Standing there with your hand on your hip is kind of a dick move.

I wouldn't let it overly bother me if I knew I was in the right. I have been guilty of it myself, but only with cause.

Doesn't sound like there was much cause here. So, OP has a right to be mildly put out.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I play 200 rounds a year and I/we almost always let people play through, usually a single. When I am playing, I can see when a cart is behind us in the fairway and I will start thinking of a place to let them through. Just basic etiquette. However, I believe the single has to also adhere to etiquette. On a par 4 and we are on the green putting, when the single gets to his ball, instead of waiting until we put the flag in, he stands next to his ball, club in one hand and the other on his hip staring at the green. Am I the only one who finds this rude? My reaction is that I start rushing and them I am less inclined to want to let them through. I play frequently as a single and I know the group in front can see my cart. On a tee box I never pull all the way up so I am parked next to them, I wait behind the tips so as not to rush them. They can see my cart so they know I am there. On a par 4 I sit in my cart next to my tee shot until they clear the green. Again they can see my cart so they know I am there, they don't need to see my standing there with my club while they are putting. Same on a par 5, I sit next to my second shot until they leave the green. Am I the only one that is bothered by this? Is the single with the hand on his hip in the right? Interested to hear opinions. Thanks

If the course was open in front of you, it would have been a great time to wave the single up. He hits, you start to putt, hopefully he's on the green or nearby, He putts out, you guys putt out, and he's off on the next tee out of your hair. It's win/win.

I play 200 rounds a year and I/we almost always let people play through, usually a single. When I am playing, I can see when a cart is behind us in the fairway and I will start thinking of a place to let them through. Just basic etiquette. However, I believe the single has to also adhere to etiquette. On a par 4 and we are on the green putting, when the single gets to his ball, instead of waiting until we put the flag in, he stands next to his ball, club in one hand and the other on his hip staring at the green. Am I the only one who finds this rude? My reaction is that I start rushing and them I am less inclined to want to let them through. I play frequently as a single and I know the group in front can see my cart. On a tee box I never pull all the way up so I am parked next to them, I wait behind the tips so as not to rush them. They can see my cart so they know I am there. On a par 4 I sit in my cart next to my tee shot until they clear the green. Again they can see my cart so they know I am there, they don't need to see my standing there with my club while they are putting. Same on a par 5, I sit next to my second shot until they leave the green. Am I the only one that is bothered by this? Is the single with the hand on his hip in the right? Interested to hear opinions. Thanks

If the course was open in front of you, it would have been a great time to wave the single up. He hits, you start to putt, hopefully he's on the green or nearby, He putts out, you guys putt out, and he's off on the next tee out of your hair. It's win/win.

Agreed. In hindsight, even though I was aggravated at seeing him in what I thought was a "rushing me" posture, it would have been easier just letting it go and waving him through. Like I said earlier, I have no problem letting people through and I have let people through even when they had the hand on the hip look. For some reason it bothered me more today and it shouldn't have. Golf is supposed to be fun and something this trivial shouldn't have bothered me that much.

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

As someone that plays a majority of my golf as a single, I'd like to add my 2 cents.

Firstly, I hate waiting while sitting in a cart. I much prefer to be up and moving. My mind and body both feel much better if I'm moving about somewhat.

Secondly, what kind of psycho just has both arms dangling by their side when standing? Its so awkward and an uncomfortable way to stand. But if your hands are in any other spot, from the outside it looks like patience is being tested.

Thirdly, if I'm looking at the green, it doesnt mean I'm staring you down. It means I'm trying to decipher where the pin is, and how I should play the upcoming shot.

I only get impatient if its been a couple holes, there is room in front of the group ahead of me, and that group has made no attempt to either speed up, let me play through, or even acknowledge my existence. If I can see there is no where to go, and I get impatient, that's a me problem.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

When I am the single, I will have my club out, and be next to my ball. I try not to look like I am rushing them, but who is to say what it looks like from 150 yards away. Sometimes I will look away, and take some little practice swings, but sometimes I probably don't. My hand might be on my hip, or not, I don't know. But I am not trying to rush you. Unless there's no one in front of you, and it's the third hole I've been waiting on. I would say that if you are letting someone's posture that far away get you upset, you might have been halfway there to begin with.

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

I play as a single quite often. I fully expect to have to wait on any foursome I catch. I have never asked a group to let me play thru, though many offer. However if there is no place to go, there is no place to go. I will go to my ball and many times take some practice swings, plan my shot so as I am ready to go when they clear the green. As far as my posture while waiting I have no clue.

Some guys stand back in the fairway with the frustrated hurry up pose, even when they are in a foursome and the course is all backed

up waiting on every shot. Usually it's golfers that are faster than the 5 hour round that is happening.

When a single I hang back enough, giving the foursome the opportunity to assess the situation. I am also looking around to see if the course is

open ahead or if no place to go. A single is crazy if we think we should go through group after group. I am also assessing if the course is mostly

empty and if it's worth skipping past the foursome ahead.

When there is no place to go, then spend time ball hawking or chipping + putting, but this is only an option if nobody is behind you.

I was on vacation on a private course, The Dunes in Myrtle Beach. I was playing alone, stranger pairing no showed, with no place to go, so

I just enjoyed extra chipping + putting on perfect greens. On the 11th hole, a fast playing foursome of ladies, looking like members, caught me.

They started on #10. The signature holes were coming up, so I let them through me, seeing nobody was behind them. Then I could relax again,

no rush to be back at the hotel again.