2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The 2018 Masters Thread

Frankensteins Monster

I kind of view the 13th the way I look at a drivable par 4. Yes, it's a scoring hole, but if you are little bit off...

Good point. The tournament wouldn't be as fun to watch on Sunday if they make 3 less of a possibility. Same goes for #15, IMO.

One thing The Masters gets that the US Open doesn't, is to make the pins playable on Sunday and set up a great finish...

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

were you alive in 1967?

Not quite. Put it this way, I've seen great media of cool figures from that era. This pic ain't one of them. I don't think they attempted this look again with Nicklaus, for great reason.

Again, doesn't make him a bad person.

Think "tongue-in-cheek"....

I sure hope so. Cringey like this one was:

61Bg%2BRQuBJL.jpg

Some guys just can't sell the cool guy look.

They said Reed is the lowest ranked person to win The Masters since Schwartzel. I thought Willett would have been lower ranked but I guess not. Overall I would give this tournament a B this year. Final winner is a C for me while quality of leaderboard was an A. I wish either Tiger or Phil could have added more but at least they made the cut. This would have been an A if Jordan could have eagled 13 and parred 18 to win or if McIlroy could have pulled off the career grand slam. On the positive side Reed just didn’t fall into the win he earned it.

Bubba almost a lock for the Ryder Cup now, good move up the list for Rickie too

..........and of course Reed!

Will Bubba go though? It's in France.

sure...unfinished business to attend to

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

There's no denying Rory has talent and is a Hall of Famer. He's also 29 and has not won a major in 4 years. So at 25 he qualified for Hall of Fame. It's not unreasonable to be dissapointed with an athlete with huge potential who stops performing at that level. It doesn't mean you stop liking him it just means you are dissapointed especially when the major that could have given him the career grand slam was so much within reach. Rory can do whatever he wants with his life and be happy doing it. He seems like a great guy, but I am dissapointed that he shoots 74 to lose by 6 when he's in the final group.

It was indeed tough to watch, and frankly a huge waste of time, but it was always Reed's to lose. Rory had to overcome a 3 shot deficit a day after shooting a 65, which is always hard to follow. When Rory's putter gets cold, it freezes the rest of his game.

Does Rory have the yips? That putt on 2 was like wtf.

He has no ability to self correct, he made zero adjustments to his reads and casually addressed 5'-6' putts in rather lackadaisical manner time and time again. You saw Ricky slow down, keep his composure and put together a great round after a so-so start. Speith went Ninja, Rory mentally bailed. Incredible he's got 4 majors and he's so numb nuts 4 years later.

They said Reed is the lowest ranked person to win The Masters since Schwartzel. I thought Willett would have been lower ranked but I guess not. Overall I would give this tournament a B this year. Final winner is a C for me while quality of leaderboard was an A. I wish either Tiger or Phil could have added more but at least they made the cut. This would have been an A if Jordan could have eagled 13 and parred 18 to win or if McIlroy could have pulled off the career grand slam. On the positive side Reed just didn't fall into the win he earned it.

Willett was ranked 12th the week he won The Masters. Moved to 9th after the win.

[

were you alive in 1967?

Not quite. Put it this way, I've seen great media of cool figures from that era. This pic ain't one of them. I don't think they attempted this look again with Nicklaus, for great reason.

61Bg%2BRQuBJL.jpg

You are looking from a 2018 perspective. Duval was very different than just about everyone else on tour at the time. Looked like a metal dude to me, but I'm not sure what his musical tastes were, but he had the look. He also gave answers rather than cliche's to questions from the media.

Congrats to Reed. Condolences to Rory. (he really kind of lost it) Thanks for the excitement to Jordan.

[

were you alive in 1967?

61Bg%2BRQuBJL.jpg

as an aside, did you happen to hear Nicklaus' story about his Green Jacket? He said when he won his first one they grabbed a jacket that was way too big for him, then when he won his 2nd one, they grabbed one that fit better. Inside it said " Thomas Dewey" who had been a member, but was dead by then. (He was the Dewey who lost to Truman in the Presidential Election, leading to the famous picture of HST holding a newspaper with the premature headline of "DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN!"...so, they gave the Two Time Champion a dead guy's jacket, which according to Jack, he wore until he casually mentioned it to the Club Chairman in 1998, and at that point was directed to go to the shop to be fitted for his very own jacket. So, according to Jack's story, after winning his 6th Masters, he was still wearing a dead guy's jacket.

Now, that's cool.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Reed = my pic to win.

Phigjam = pressed too hard

Rors = get over yourself

Ricky = close but no prize ..... has a mental block or something

Rahm = calm down big boy!

Spieth = nice round

JT = dude, I missed you this week

Charley = loved 16 for you

Bubba = good tournament sir

DJ = see JT comment

JD = what's your excuse this time?

Great tournament!

Oh, forgot:

Tiger = glad you're back ..... but, are you really?

There's no denying Rory has talent and is a Hall of Famer. He's also 29 and has not won a major in 4 years. So at 25 he qualified for Hall of Fame. It's not unreasonable to be dissapointed with an athlete with huge potential who stops performing at that level. It doesn't mean you stop liking him it just means you are dissapointed especially when the major that could have given him the career grand slam was so much within reach. Rory can do whatever he wants with his life and be happy doing it. He seems like a great guy, but I am dissapointed that he shoots 74 to lose by 6 when he's in the final group.

It was indeed tough to watch, and frankly a huge waste of time, but it was always Reed's to lose. Rory had to overcome a 3 shot deficit a day after shooting a 65, which is always hard to follow. When Rory's putter gets cold, it freezes the rest of his game.

Does Rory have the yips? That putt on 2 was like wtf.

He has no ability to self correct, he made zero adjustments to his reads and casually addressed 5'-6' putts in rather lackadaisical manner time and time again. You saw Ricky slow down, keep his composure and put together a great round after a so-so start. Speith went Ninja, Rory mentally bailed. Incredible he's got 4 majors and he's so numb nuts 4 years later.

It looked like Rory tried to get back into a rhythm by taking less time. It didn't work.

Wow, what a Sunday at Augusta! So cool that Jordan and Rickie made big moves and made things interesting. Jordan, at 24, is already a Masters legend. :) And Rickie is just so popular and respected.

I have no doubt Rickie will win majors, but it looks like he's taking the Mickelson route. When he finally breaks through (it would be perfect at Augusta) it will be a hugely popular victory.

Hats off to Patrick Reed. It's difficult for most people to realize the pressure these great golfers are playing under, and Patrick handled it like a true champion.

As for Rory? What a crushing disappointment. He tried so hard to deflect the pressure he must have been feeling, but the weight of that pressure was too much. I have no doubt he will win the Masters someday.

At the very end of the broadcast, CBS showed a little montage of former champions expressing their emotional release after winning, and I'll never forget Nick Faldo's response after his 1996 victory. What he said captures the essence of what makes the Masters the Masters - "It's the most nerve-racking tournament in golf."

Reed = my pic to win.

Phigjam = pressed too hard

Rors = get over yourself

Ricky = close but no prize ..... has a mental block or something

Rahm = calm down big boy!

Spieth = nice round

JT = dude, I missed you this week

Charley = loved 16 for you

Bubba = good tournament sir

DJ = see JT comment

JD = what's your excuse this time?

Great tournament!

Oh, forgot:

Tiger = glad you're back ..... but, are you really?

Good synopsis

Rory is def. trying too hard to act mentally tough. Tiger used to pull it off but the rest of the mortals should work on being humble.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Wow, what a Sunday at Augusta! So cool that Jordan and Rickie made big moves and made things interesting. Jordan, at 24, is already a Masters legend. :) And Rickie is just so popular and respected.

I have no doubt Rickie will win majors, but it looks like he's taking the Mickelson route. When he finally breaks through (it would be perfect at Augusta) it will be a hugely popular victory.

Hats off to Patrick Reed. It's difficult for most people to realize the pressure these great golfers are playing under, and Patrick handled it like a true champion.

As for Rory? What a crushing disappointment. He tried so hard to deflect the pressure he must have been feeling, but the weight of that pressure was too much. I have no doubt he will win the Masters someday.

At the very end of the broadcast, CBS showed a little montage of former champions expressing their emotional release after winning, and I'll never forget Nick Faldo's response after his 1996 victory. What he said captures the essence of what makes the Masters the Masters - "It's the most nerve-racking tournament in golf."

I have HUGE doubts About Rory winning this thing. See:

Johnny Miller

Tom Wieskopf

Ernie Els

David Duval

DL3

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[

were you alive in 1967?

61Bg%2BRQuBJL.jpg

as an aside, did you happen to hear Nicklaus' story about his Green Jacket? He said when he won his first one they grabbed a jacket that was way too big for him, then when he won his 2nd one, they grabbed one that fit better. Inside it said " Thomas Dewey" who had been a member, but was dead by then. (He was the Dewey who lost to Truman in the Presidential Election, leading to the famous picture of HST holding a newspaper with the premature headline of "DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN!"...so, they gave the Two Time Champion a dead guy's jacket, which according to Jack, he wore until he casually mentioned it to the Club Chairman in 1998, and at that point was directed to go to the shop to be fitted for his very own jacket. So, according to Jack's story, after winning his 6th Masters, he was still wearing a dead guy's jacket.

Now, that's cool.

I agree, haha. That is pretty damn cool.

Does ANGC lengthen 13? I think its perfect right now. Maybe 10 yards max

think they need to lengthen it 30 ...

30 yards? i fear that makes a push staying in play then and takes the cool pinestraw shots outta play. Re-YJS today.

you fear it makes a push stay in play? ... not sure what you meant ..

you can't have a par 5 at 510 yards ... rory and dj are athletic enough for me to give them their distance, but the others depend on the changes to the ball ... that hole used to be a fairly strenuous decision to go for it or not ... now, even if they miss the fairway, they're going for it and 2-putting ...

Rory had 195 on 2 and DJ had 9i on 15.....lengthening 13 doesn't protect the course at all....leave things be.

You are looking from a 2018 perspective. Duval was very different than just about everyone else on tour at the time. Looked like a metal dude to me, but I'm not sure what his musical tastes were, but he had the look. He also gave answers rather than cliche's to questions from the media.

Congrats to Reed. Condolences to Rory. (he really kind of lost it) Thanks for the excitement to Jordan.

Nah (had to dequote the pic), I thought it was pretty forced when I got that issue and read the story about him and his brother, etc. I think I might still have the hard copy in a box somewhere. He's probably in my top 3 favorite players of all time.

I have HUGE doubts About Rory winning this thing. See:

Johnny Miller

Tom Wieskopf

Ernie Els

David Duval

DL3

Don't forget Norman. Similar talent driving the ball to Rory. Similar collapses at Augusta.

Does ANGC lengthen 13? I think its perfect right now. Maybe 10 yards max

think they need to lengthen it 30 ...

30 yards? i fear that makes a push staying in play then and takes the cool pinestraw shots outta play. Re-YJS today.

you fear it makes a push stay in play? ... not sure what you meant ..

you can't have a par 5 at 510 yards ... rory and dj are athletic enough for me to give them their distance, but the others depend on the changes to the ball ... that hole used to be a fairly strenuous decision to go for it or not ... now, even if they miss the fairway, they're going for it and 2-putting ...

Rory had 195 on 2 and DJ had 9i on 15.....lengthening 13 doesn't protect the course at all....leave things be.

Personally I did prefer it when you had to come in with a long iron on 13. It made it a much more spectacular shot when someone pulled it off.

Today, Reed had 186 in.

Rory had 195 in.

DJ had 172 in.

Rickie had 205 in.

Rahm had 182 in.

That yardage is becoming a mid-iron for these guys. Just move the tee back 15 yards.

Fowler be like hey:

Not any more now that he's got Allison Stokke on the bag. :D

Allison-Stokke-Images.jpg

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant