2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

P-790 UDI

mattd1206

Finally hit mine today

Bent to 18*

- 1/2”

6.5 hzdus 85g shaft

I swing the driver At 120mph

If anyone says this thing launches high then I have no idea what you are doing lol.

This thing just launches low bullets off the deck. Off a low tee I could get low- low mid rockets.

I am going to love this thing

Congrats! Would have been nice to witness this ;)

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently game a 718 TMB 2-iron haven’t been able to hit it much since winter lasts apparently 8 months, but I was wondering if anyone has hit the P-790 2 iron. It just became available and I tossed the idea around of buying one. If anyone has info about this or even a comparison that’d be awesome!

From Michael Newton Golf

Review of the p790 udi 2 iron

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

If they ever offer one of these in 23 degrees like Jon Rahm's, I'm jumping on it, but at 17 degrees it doesn't fill the right spot in my bag.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* w/Mitsubishi Diamana GT 60S
Titleist TSR2 15* w/VA Composites Nemesys 75S
Taylormade Stealth 2 Hybrid 19* w/VA Composites Nemesys 90S
Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW w/Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist SM9 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/Project X LZ 6.0
Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

A maxi pad?

I'm gonna go ahead and ask the question that everyone is wondering but nobody wants to ask... What would be a good head cover for this? Lol... Appologizing in advance!

Was waiting for a comment like this lol!

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

I hope I don't regret going steel... I do hit the ball high, but this is a different animal. I should set up some buyers for it incase I decide to go HZRDUS lol...

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

Finally hit mine today

Bent to 18*

- 1/2”

6.5 hzdus 85g shaft

If anyone says this thing launches high then I have no idea what you are doing lol.

This thing just launches low bullets off the deck. Off a low tee I could get low- low mid rockets.

Does it feel super light to you? I swing driver at 117 and got mine extended 3/4” but with the 85g HZRDUS it feels super light. I don’t hate it, just noticed it.

Figured I'd post some side by side photo's of my P790 UDI 2 and P790 3 iron for size comparisons. I also included my 2014 Taylormade Tour Preferred MC & CB 3 irons, and my P770 4 iron.

I still think that for the money, the 2014 Taylormade Tour Preferred MC or CB will serve well as a faux Taylormade UDI 18° or 20° that everyone seems to be wanting.

Finally hit mine today

Bent to 18*

- 1/2”

6.5 hzdus 85g shaft

Does it feel super light to you? I swing driver at 117 and got mine extended 3/4” but with the 85g HZRDUS it feels super light. I don’t hate it, just noticed it.

No not at all. Feels perfect

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

• 5 weeks later...

I've played driving irons off and on for the last few years with decent success but limited use. I ordered the P790 UDI on April 3rd and I finally got mine May 9th. I ordered it with the KBS Tour 130 X shaft at +.75". There were no demos around me that I could find and I just ordered it with the same shaft that I have in my irons. I was able to try out one with the HZRDUS shaft in it and wasn't a big fan.

I'm pretty wrapped up in my kids' baseball season but I did get out to play a round with it in the bag. The course was super dry and there were a few holes I was dying to try it out on. I hit it a few times in my warmup - seemed easy to work the ball either way and I could change flight pretty easily. Stock swing with it was a low draw that will seemingly run forever.

#4 is a medium length par 5 but plenty of trouble looming. It is a tough driving hole and there are a ton of bunkers around the green so it is a positional hole for me. I have a tendancy to put driver in the pond left so I thought it would be a nice hole to go 2i off the tee, layup to a yardage and try and knock one close. This was my first real swing with the club and I absolutely smoked it up the left side of the fairway with a tiny little cut. It carried about 225 and rolled out to around 270y or so. I think this might become my go to shot on that hole. It set me up well even though I hit a horrible wedge and didn't have a birdie look.

#7 is a short par 4 that sets up as either a driver and get within 40y or it is a positional hole. There are bunkers on the right that require a 225y carry and bunkers on the left that start at about 270y. I wasn't quite sure of the carry so I put a little extra in it and set up to hit a high draw over the bunkers on the right. I couldn't have been in a better spot. It carried the bunkers pretty easily and left me with a flip wedge. Unfortunately, I had a little too much spin and backed it up 20ft off the front of the green but the 2i did it's job beautifully.

#12 is the 2nd toughest hole on the course for me. Driver brings in a bunch of trouble and you absolutely cannot miss left or right and expect anything good to happen. Left is a hazard all the way up and right is nothing but trouble. I hit another high draw and set myself up perfectly again, middle of the fairway and long. It is a 420y hole and I was able to go 2i/PW in.

#13 is the toughest hole on my course. It's 450y and there is a hazard all along the left side and a creek running across the fairway at about 310y. The blind fairway is pretty wide at 200y out but narrows dramatically the deeper you go. I picked a line and hit a low bullet fade right down the middle. It caught the right slope and rolled out all the way down the hill to set me up with my best approach shot there in a long time, about 15y short of the creek.

#15 is another tough tee shot with a blind landing area and I set up to hit a low cut up the right side. I didn't hit it real great but it worked out perfectly. I caught that one a little low on the face but you wouldn't know it from the result. I definitely felt it in my hands though.

5 shots - 4 good swings, 5 great results. Those are all tough driving holes for me and I feel like this is a great option to put one in the short grass without sacrificing all that much in terms of distance.

I know it is only 1 round, but it's hard not to get excited about it early. Some of my thoughts after having it in the bag all of 1 week...

Looks - This thing looks great. The top line is fairly thin and there isn't a ton of offset. The back of the club is visible to me at address but it isn't obnoxious at all. The satin finish is classy and it sets up to the ball nicely.

Feel - I think it feels absolutely fantastic on center hits and I love that you can feel the difference when not struck properly.

Performance - Excellent. It is long, workable and fun to hit. As far as forgiveness goes, I hit one thin that still went out there a long ways, albeit pretty low. With a forced carry, that would have been no good. I hit one toe side warming up and it didn't go anywhere but I didn't really expect that to either, it was a horrible strike.

Overall - I couldn't ask for anything more - so far, so good.

WITB
D - Taylormade SIM 2, Kuro Kage 60x
5w - Taylormade SIM 2 Max, HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70g 6.5

4h - Taylormade SIM Max, Speeder Tour Spec 9.3x

2i - Callaway XForged UT, Recoil ES 780 F5

5i-PW - Mizuno 921 HMP, Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges - Mizuno T20 49*, Taylormade TP EF 54*, Vokey 60* M Grind
Putter - Mizuno M-Craft V

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

I love mine but I think I want a 6.5 or maybe a 105X hzrdus because off the tee I hit the 6.0 85G about as high as my 6/7i.

114 SS

Anyone think a 105X may be too much?

39.5-39.75 would be good. I’d go straight in on the 105x. I have it in a older TM older udi and it’s a solid shaft but liked the steel x100 better.

If they ever offer one of these in 23 degrees like Jon Rahm's, I'm jumping on it, but at 17 degrees it doesn't fill the right spot in my bag.

... At 65 and a meager 101-103 swing speed, I put an Even Flow Blue 85hy in my P790 3 iron. At 19* and even with a hybrid shaft it still produces a mid-low trajectory and works perfectly as a DI for me. I can't see going any lower in loft so I do not think the 17* would not work for me. I still have the original UDi 3 iron and at 20* it launches a little higher so I can take advantage of downwind as well as into the wind. But I prefer the feel and look of the P790 so decisions, decisions. I need a few more rounds with them and will try to get out on the course late one day to do head to head comparison.

... But for those that do not possess a high swing speed the original UDi's and a P790 3 iron at 19* or even the 4 iron at 21* will be an better fit for a DI than the P790 UDi at 17*. Which btw is really just a 2 iron with the exact same head construction as the 3 iron, just 17* compared to 19* and a different shaft of course.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

After playing a couple rounds with this as my main choice, this thing really is a weapon.

Too a little while to get a few for it and the sound/feel is different than most irons. Last round I had numerous tee shots rolling out past 300. With the right use this thing is amazing.

FYI I swing around 118 and just ordered with the 6.5 Hzrdus and it’s solid.

... At 65 and a meager 101-103 swing speed, I put an Even Flow Blue 85hy in my P790 3 iron. At 19* and even with a hybrid shaft it still produces a mid-low trajectory and works perfectly as a DI for me. I can't see going any lower in loft so I do not think the 17* would not work for me. I still have the original UDi 3 iron and at 20* it launches a little higher so I can take advantage of downwind as well as into the wind. But I prefer the feel and look of the P790 so decisions, decisions. I need a few more rounds with them and will try to get out on the course late one day to do head to head comparison.

... But for those that do not possess a high swing speed the original UDi's and a P790 3 iron at 19* or even the 4 iron at 21* will be an better fit for a DI than the P790 UDi at 17*. Which btw is really just a 2 iron with the exact same head construction as the 3 iron, just 17* compared to 19* and a different shaft of course.

It does have a good bit less offset than P790 3 iron...fwiw.

+++ tiny bit thinner face, cog adjustment and the legendary udi engraving. Its that little bit that puts it over the edge, two different clubs imo.

+++ tiny bit thinner face, cog adjustment and the legendary udi engraving. Its that little bit that puts it over the edge, two different clubs imo.

... I would not call 3.9 offset a good bit less than 3.2 but we all have different preferences so some are more sensitive to offset than others and I can see where that might be a big enough difference for those more sensitive. However, the face and cog are the same although the legendary UDi cannot be denied. ; ) I specifically asked TM at the show if there were any structural differences in the 3 and UDi and was assured thy were the same with less loft, less offset and a different shaft. Even then I was thinking the 19* P790 3 iron might be a better option for those with sub 100 mph swing speeds. Ya can't go wrong with other one imo.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Can't wait until mine arrives - in July! Anyone go with the KBS and/or shorten it? Hows the swingweight with either?

I ordered my P790 UDI with standard length KBS TOUR FLT, the same shaft as my P770's. I really like the way this shafts feels and performs in my P770's. It is great in the long irons. The P790 UDI is due next Tuesday. I will let you know.

... I would not call 3.9 offset a good bit less than 3.2 but we all have different preferences so some are more sensitive to offset than others and I can see where that might be a big enough difference for those more sensitive. However, the face and cog are the same although the legendary UDi cannot be denied. ; ) I specifically asked TM at the show if there were any structural differences in the 3 and UDi and was assured thy were the same with less loft, less offset and a different shaft. Even then I was thinking the 19* P790 3 iron might be a better option for those with sub 100 mph swing speeds. Ya can't go wrong with other one imo.

And mine says 2 on it...don't discount that.