LPGA Players and their caddies

DavePelz4

This is courtesy of Teddy Greenstein of the Chicago Tribune. Here's a link to the article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-lpga-caddies-greenstein-spt-0702-20170701-column.html

Some refreshing honesty from Crusty and others.

Teddy Greenstein

Chicago Tribune

Cristie Kerr has a one-word explanation for why some LPGA players are so quick to switch caddies.

"Hormones," she said. "Honestly. Women are moody. I'm moody. Sometimes when I wasn't playing well early in my career, I'd take it out on my caddies."

Kerr figures she has gone through six or seven caddies during her highly successful (19 LPGA victories) 20-year career, including one she fired, rehired and fired again.

"We had amazing chemistry on the golf course," she said of Jason Gilroyed, with whom she won her two majors. "But we also were always butting heads."

Gilroyed now works for Alison Lee, a Californian who fired a tidy 3-under 68 in the first round of the KPMG Women's PGA Championship at Olympia Fields.

The caddie chronicles make for great tour gossip.

"Hooking up? It happens," Kerr said. "It's like high school out there. I mean, what else are we going to talk about? We're tired of talking about golf."

One caddie called the various caddie-player switcheroos "incestuous."

"It does tend to be very much a caddie carousel on the LPGA Tour," Golf Channel reporter Karen Stupples said, "and it's a bit of a running joke, especially among the top caddies."

Stupples, who won the 2004 Women's British Open, said the "revolving door" is largely the result of players "just feeling like they need a different look." Stupples and other longtime tour observers say the turnover rate is especially high among Asian players, some of whom are known to let parents or agents call the shots.

At age 20, Lydia Ko already has 19 professional wins … and even more sets of fingerprints on her clubs.

The Korean-born, New Zealand-raised Ko is now using Pete Godfrey, her 10th caddie since turning pro. She even took a spin with Tiger Woods' former caddie, Mike "Fluff" Cowan.

After Ko jettisoned Gary Matthews in April, he lashed out. "Golf Sarge" (if we can call him that) told Golf World: "She needs to wake up on caddie-player relationships; otherwise, she'll just keep doing it. In all honesty, there is no communication in the whole camp."

"He has a very positive attitude," she said, "so even if I get disappointed, he says, 'C'mon, chip that in,' or, 'We can make a birdie on the next hole.'"

Indeed, caddies do far more than read greens, choose clubs and rake bunkers. They're along to help with the mental side of the game — and sometimes more than that.

Beatriz Recari has been in a romantic relationship with caddie Andreas Thorp for nearly a decade.

"To me it's not so much that he's my boyfriend," she said. "For me he's the best caddie out there. And he does know me very well, which is an advantage."

Said Thorp: "We complement each other. We know when to say stuff and not to say stuff — most of the time. Communication is the key."

DNA links Chella Choi, a Korean who opened with a 5-under 66 at Olympia Fields, to her caddie. She joked that "of course" she blames her looper for bad shots … it's her father, Ji Yeon.

Defending Women's PGA champion Brooke Henderson, 19, teams with older sister Brittany, whom she also described as "my best friend."

"It's amazing to go through this journey together," Brooke said.

Brittany, 26, once aspired to win majors. Now she's one of about a half-dozen women who caddie regularly on the LPGA Tour. (Fanny Sunesson is the most successful female caddie in history, helping Nick Faldo win four majors and Henrik Stenson a Players Championship.)

After Brooke earned her tour card, Brittany said, "she needed someone to be there. I didn't like traveling alone. It's much more fun that we're out here together. I get a lot of comments like, 'I could never caddie for my sister,' but we keep it pretty professional. And I can lighten things up with an inside joke."

Toting a 30-pound bag up hills isn't easy. Brittany nearly threw in the towel after she started two years ago.

"I had bruises," she said. "I didn't think I was going to make it."

Now?

"You build up a tolerance," she said. "Your body is capable of a lot more than you think it is. Unless it's weighed down with rain gear and sweaters, I don't notice it being heavy."

While Brittany said she hopes to be on Brooke's bag for a long time, some caddies look to cut bait with slumping players. LPGA purses are a fraction of the men's (the No. 10 player in PGA Tour earnings has pocketed about $3.6 million this season, compared with $537,000 for his LPGA "equal"). Most caddies receive 8 percent of total winnings and 10 percent for a victory.

"It can be hurtful to a player if a caddie leaves to make more money," Stupples said. "It can become a bit of a tussle for the player to keep hold of a (well-regarded) caddie. It's a very complicated dynamic. Kind of cutthroat, actually."

The consistently strong Stacy Lewis enjoys one of the most enduring player-caddie relationships on tour. She has worked with Travis Wilson for nearly nine years.

"I'm more of the loyal type," she said, adding that the key is "owning up" to poor shots.

Wilson echoed that, saying: "She's different in the fact that she will actually take responsibility (for a poor shot) … a lot of people can't do that out here. We see a lot of things the same way. We have a good mesh."

Christina Kim certainly meshes well with Duncan French, who is caddying for Korean Su Oh this week after helping Michelle Wie win the 2014 U.S. Women's Open.

Kim and French have remained a couple long since their working relationship ended.

Why the golf breakup?

"I wanted to make sure everyone knew he deserves a great bag because of the work that he puts in, not because he's boinking me," said Kim, who has three LPGA wins. "I don't want him to be in the shadow of the career that I've had. He deserves to have the respect that he has now by virtue of his work and of his own merit."

Kerr, who entered the Women's PGA fifth on the LPGA money list, is having a good run with her current caddie, Brady Stockton. The former Web.com Tour player happened to be free in the spring of 2016 after he quit a non-golf job.

"The best things are meant to be," Kerr said. "It's like meeting your spouse."

[email protected]

Twitter @TeddyGreenstein

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be pretty bad if you were canned because you were bad in the sack. Pretty sure it would get around

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I hate it when women blame their behavior on hormones. You’re nice or you’re not, you’re respectful of your caddie or you’re not. Too many women choose to be nasty and then act like somehow it’s beyond their control and too many guys fall for it.

What interests me about the LPGA and caddies are the financial arrangements. Lots less cash floating around, but caddies are still paying for a lot of their own travel on a tour that’s truly international. Throw in food, housing and taxes and I’m not sure how some of them keep going.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I looped for two LPGA players last year. One on a mon qualifier, and one for the tournament. My qualifier was a young girl, still on the Symetra tour. She was wonderful, taught me the ropes while we played, and she played great. -3 coming into 17, an easy 115 yd par 3. Strangely, we both miscalculated the yardage by 10 yds, she put her shot right over the flag and ended up in the back bunker and bogeyed. She missed a spot by 1 stroke. I apologized profusely but she said don't worry about it, we both made the mistake. Very gracious.

My regular pro was from Thailand, 2nd year on tour, and her dad was not able to loop for some reason. She was very demanding. We played two good practice rounds, but the 1st round of the tournament she unraveled. +3 over the first 5 holes, then on #6 I told her the green was best approached from the left side of the fairway, and she hit one of the worst duck hooks I have ever seen. Double. By #9 tee she was +6, and she withdrew due to a 'wrist injury' that she had been nursing. Thank goodness, I don't think I would have survived a full 3 days with her. I did some research afterwards, and indeed her last 3 tournaments before were not good, so hopefully it wasn't just me. Heck of an education though...I might give it a shot again this year!

I looped for two LPGA players last year. One on a mon qualifier, and one for the tournament. My qualifier was a young girl, still on the Symetra tour. She was wonderful, taught me the ropes while we played, and she played great. -3 coming into 17, an easy 115 yd par 3. Strangely, we both miscalculated the yardage by 10 yds, she put her shot right over the flag and ended up in the back bunker and bogeyed. She missed a spot by 1 stroke. I apologized profusely but she said don't worry about it, we both made the mistake. Very gracious.

My regular pro was from Thailand, 2nd year on tour, and her dad was not able to loop for some reason. She was very demanding. We played two good practice rounds, but the 1st round of the tournament she unraveled. +3 over the first 5 holes, then on #6 I told her the green was best approached from the left side of the fairway, and she hit one of the worst duck hooks I have ever seen. Double. By #9 tee she was +6, and she withdrew due to a 'wrist injury' that she had been nursing. Thank goodness, I don't think I would have survived a full 3 days with her. I did some research afterwards, and indeed her last 3 tournaments before were not good, so hopefully it wasn't just me. Heck of an education though...I might give it a shot again this year!

Where did you work these tourneys at?

Where did you work these tourneys at?

Shoprite Classic. Usually draws a strong field despite being a 3 day tourney.

Being paid to boink Christina Kim? Where do you sign up?? :russian_roulette:

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I hate it when women blame their behavior on hormones. You’re nice or you’re not, you’re respectful of your caddie or you’re not. Too many women choose to be nasty and then act like somehow it’s beyond their control and too many guys fall for it.

What interests me about the LPGA and caddies are the financial arrangements. Lots less cash floating around, but caddies are still paying for a lot of their own travel on a tour that’s truly international. Throw in food, housing and taxes and I’m not sure how some of them keep going.

The glaring double standard is almost comical. A guy makes this quote that women are moody and fire caddies because of hormones and he would get crucified immediately as an evil disgusting sexist pig.

We should try that.

“Why aren’t you listening to me?!?”

“Uh...hormones?”

The glaring double standard is almost comical. A guy makes this quote that women are moody and fire caddies because of hormones and he would get crucified immediately as an evil disgusting sexist pig.

Oh relax, we all know that the world is not fair, and not symmetrical when it comes to the sexes!

I hate it when women blame their behavior on hormones. You're nice or you're not, you're respectful of your caddie or you're not. Too many women choose to be nasty and then act like somehow it's beyond their control and too many guys fall for it.

What interests me about the LPGA and caddies are the financial arrangements. Lots less cash floating around, but caddies are still paying for a lot of their own travel on a tour that's truly international. Throw in food, housing and taxes and I'm not sure how some of them keep going.

We should try that.

"Why aren't you listening to me?!?"

"Uh...hormones?"

"Why did you sleep with all those other women?

"Hormones, I couldn't fight mother nature"

So what I'm taking away is that I should become an LPGA caddie so I can finally date Lexi??

Lexi's caddie, Kevin McAlpine is dating Anna Norquist.

I remember seeing Kevin kissing Anna on the 18th green when Anna won the Evian last year.

Before they were married (Tim Vickers and Azahara Munoz).....Tim use to be Sandra Gal's caddie for a while.

I recall seeing Tim loop for Sandra in the morning wave, then go out and watch Aza in the afternoon.

So what I'm taking away is that I should become an LPGA caddie so I can finally date Lexi??

Yes..."date"

Hey, we can all dream right? :D

http://www.espn.com/...tory?id=2468640

Do you remember the above?

Jackie is one of my all time LPGA favorites.

Psh, Lexi is too young and too involved in her career to get caught up in that kind of mess.

Still, it's kind of shocking I guess that there's that much "catty" behavior on tour. I figured the caddie's had 0% action with the girls... Guess not.

Where do I put my application????

• 4 weeks later...

Lexi's caddie, Kevin McAlpine is dating Anna Norquist.

I remember seeing Kevin kissing Anna on the 18th green when Anna won the Evian last year.

Before they were married (Tim Vickers and Azahara Munoz).....Tim use to be Sandra Gal's caddie for a while.

I recall seeing Tim loop for Sandra in the morning wave, then go out and watch Aza in the afternoon.

Life's good for some huh

As far as expenses go, it's my understanding that all International travel and most International hotels are taken care of by the players... I've heard this over and over, although I've never worked that tour. And money wise it's 2 to 3 times more than the web tour, and the schedule is organised so that you can do quite a bit of driving between events at certain times of the season if you wanted to, so I would say a caddie can make a decent living if he's got someone who keeps her status each season.

As far as expenses go, it's my understanding that all International travel and most International hotels are taken care of by the players... I've heard this over and over, although I've never worked that tour.

On the 2 Asia LPGA swings that occur. If a LPGA pro is invited (ranking high on the money list) and maybe the sponsor invites too to play in the limited field events.....their airfare, hotel, etc are paid for....I'm not sure if an addition airfare is included either to pay for a caddie or companion.

IMG manages (including TV production) the 2 Asia swings....so they might also manage the expense process too.

Travel expenses to other LPGA events is the responsibility of the LPGA pros...some pros pay for their caddies expense...some not.

• 3 months later...