Have you ever been in a playoff to win an event?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy, about six to 10 of them

Let me think of the specifics

Some 2 man and some member guests and some 4 man scrambles

I've won some big member guests but never in multiple team playoffs

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Yep. I was pretty awesome.

Won a free greens fee and a pair of socks. Betting my competitor was super jealous...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Yep. I was pretty awesome.

Won a free greens fee and a pair of socks. Betting my competitor was super jealous...

Were they nice socks?

No. Had a pink trim.

Left them on a table in the lounge afterward. They were still there a day later.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

What happened to get you into a playoff? Did you come from behind, hang on or mess up while in the lead? And...what happened in the playoff?

I was playing in our club championship (second division) a couple years ago and triple bogied 16 both days. I still ended up in a playoff somehow and lost on the first hole.

Another time in a 2 man scramble we had a playoff between 4 teams that ended up going 9 holes and we won that one.

Yep, two. One individual, played well, tied for the win. Won a four hole playoff against one of the better area players. One was a two man partnership, on the first hole, I hit a good drive, 9 iron to about 5 ft. Then my partner thoughtlessly stole my thunder by hitting a wedge to about 4 in. The other team crumbled under the weight of such magnificence.

Played in 4 or 5 playoffs with a partner, best ball tournaments. Lost one and won the others. A couple stand out. We were in a tie with another team and we started the playoff on the 10th hole. I made about a 20 footer for a birdie to tie. 11th hole I made about a 10 footer for birdie to tie. 12th hole both teams made pars. 13th hole I chipped in from about 15 feet for birdie to win. Another tournament we were tied at the end and the playoff went 9 holes. I birdied 4 holes to tie and my partner made a 3 footer on the 9th playoff hole for a birdie. Our opponent missed a two footer and we won that tournament. I always had fun in playoffs.

I won a Club Championship about 10 years ago in a playoff. 36-hole stroke play event. I led by one after the first round over two other guys. We were all tied on 15 and then I birdied 16 to take a one-shot lead. I missed the green on 18 and one of my opponents hit one to 4'. Chance for a two-shot swing and me being on the wrong end. I flipped a wedge to 1' and then my opponent missed. I thought I had held on to win. Unbeknownst to me, a guy in the group in front of us had played well and managed to tie me.

We both bogeyed the first playoff hole. I chunked an 8-iron, pitched to 5' and then missed the putt for the win. My opponent drove the ball into a hazard on the second playoff hole (par 5) which meant i could play very conservatively. I kept the ball away from the hazard, layed up to 120 yards, then hit a safe wedge underneath the hole. Two putts and it was over.

I was in a playoff in our 36 hole Club Championship in 2013. I was down 1 going into 18 against actually one of my best buds. He blew his tee shot way right deep in the woods, I was just in rough. He couldn't find it and had to go 3 off the tee, and then hooked a hybrid left, hit a tree that bounced back into the middle of the fairway about 235 uphill. He then knocked a hybrid to like 17-20ft, leaving a downhill left-right putt. I hit it on to about 15ft. He then drained his putt for bogey (still the best " :censored2: 'ing" bogey I've ever seen, especially for the scenario). I had to 2 putt for par and did (still probably the most nervous I've ever been the course lol).

We went in and signed and turned in our cards headed to the first hole I made par from like 125-130 yards with a 2 putt, he made par from like 60 yards with a 2 putt (he's stupid long with every club, he averages 120-122 driver ss vs. my blazing 100-103mph :cheesy: ). On the 2nd hole I hit it in the middle and he hooked his drive out of play, and then he just got flustered and did it again (I felt so bad for him, still do...) I hit on the green and he conceded.

I do have to add the our Club Championship had only 12 players ranging from 4-9 handicap, not what you'd call a "strong Championship flight" of players lol.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

I've been in 3, some random city junior event ran my putt by like 7 feet on the first playoff hole, made the comebacker and then won on the second hole; Junior Club championship like 8 years ago made a really good par to get into the playoff after the guy in first made double to miss the playoff by a shot (me and another guy both made par on 18,) got up and down from a tough spot made a 6 foot slider for par. Third one wasn't to win but a 6 for 3 playoff to qualify for the provincial Am, I went par par and got in after a couple bogeys on the second.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

A couple.

One that sticks out is from a junior event, where we played for the overall title.

I thought I had him dead to rights; I was 20 feet away putting for birdie on a par 4. His 3rd shot had the ball way below his feet in a bunker, and he would be standing out of it. Didn't have much room to work with, slope running away a little bit.

He hit an amazing shot, spinning the ball, and it went to tap-in distance.

He made a birdie on the next hole to my par.

That one stands out, and it was a ton of fun :)

Yep. I've been in a few. Once for my first collegiate win, at the junior PGA, and another at an amateur event during the summer months, some to get into other events.

Collegiate event shot 69-73-70 (low round of the day) to tie a good friend of mine. First hole a straight away par 5 we both butcher and halve with par. Second hole a reachable par 4, he hooks hit so far left he ended up left of the hazard in another fairway. I lay up, he hits an incredible shot to put it on the green. I've got 122 uphill slightly in the wind from the first cut, pulled a gap wedge and dropped it to an inch. He barely misses and I've got a W.

In the summer event 67-68-65-77. Choked big time.... just could get comfortable the whole day. Played the front nine in even par, went OB on the two of the back nine par 5s. Made a 6 footer for a playoff on 18. It was weird standing on the tee after what had happened. I tried to regroup as best I could, went with driver which hadn't been working well all day. My dad wanted to lay up short of the bunkers at 280ish. I pulled driver and said, "I'm sending it" nutted the driver and ended up hitting 9 iron into the par 5. Two putted for victory.

Junior PGA was cool! It was a 4 way playoff, and started on 10. I drew last and watched the others spilt thebfairway, which made me less nervous seeing it done before. It was a slightly downhill 435 yard par 4, and I smoked this ball. I had 53 yards left, flipped a wedge to about 2 feet and ended it after the first hole.

Guess I should try to play like it is a playoff every time lol, I've hit some of my best shots in playoffs.

Won my first Club Champs in 2013 in a playoff.

Four rounds stroke play over 2 weekends. Started 6 back on the last Sunday.

Caught the leader on the ninth with after a one under first nine. He played a bit better second nine - we stayed level throughout. We both had birdie putts on the 18th to win it outright - both missed- me about 8 foot.

Playoff on 18 th par 5 - opponent made a mess of it, holing a 30 feet putt for par in the end, making my 6 foot birdie seems longer (thought I had two putts for the win :-)

Nailed the putt - not nervous at all, nearly having a giggle while putting, as I had made that putt thousands of times on the carpet at home.

Best round of my life - 2-3 club wind all day, squally rain, quick greens. Shot a 72 that day, and closest gross after that was a 78.

Great memory.

As a Jr, I made a 30 foot birdie putt on 18 that put me into a 6 way playoff for a trophy (no scoreboards or anything, so I didn't know it at the time).

Hit a poor drive into the right trees and only play was an 8i over a tree to about 30 yards short of the green. Most were in better position than me and several had decent looks at birdie. I pitched up to about 2 feet and watched everyone else make bogey or worse. Was very nervous on the two footer but rolled it in.

The other thing I remember about that day was almost missing my tee time when I misunderstood the directions to the course (215 not to the 15).

My Jr year in high school at Sectionals, my coach comes up to me on 15th tee (fortunately right after I hit my tee shot) and says, "we arent going to qualify for state as a team but you are in as an individual by 3 shots, fairways and greens, no stupid mistakes", Really motivating stuff there. Proceed to bogey 16 (pulled a full sadaam fairway bunker to greenside bunker didnt get it up and down), 17 (200+ yard par 3 and I chunked it so bad I had 125ish in on the second, hit it to 10' and missed the par save) , and three jack from 6 feet on 18 to be part of of a 4 man for 1 spot playoff to go to state. I get up and down for par on 18 (almost made the damn chip), and proceed to watch this 5'3" 105lb soaking wet kid roll in a 45 footer for birdie to really make me feel like a POS.

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

I won a chip off. (does that count?)

I won my flight in a member-guest this way, it was around 75 yards and I stuck mine to about 3 feet with a lot of people watching, definitely a great feeling.

The same tournament the following year, my partner won the tie-breaker chipoff to get us second place. It was during the banquet and nobody else but him knew about it, we thought it was going to be done after the dinner. Halfway through the meal we were wondering where he was, and he walks in with a wedge in his hands saying he just won the tiebreaker chip off, I didn't believe him until they announced it at the end of the meal. Other team wasn't very happy.

Senior club championship about 3 or 4 years ago, played at 36-holes stroke play gross, and my handicap at the time is about 5 or 6. Day 1 I shot a career best 70 (-2), and slept on a 4 stroke lead. Day 2, paired with my closest competitor (2 handicap, I think), he's -4 through about 7 holes, and my lead is long gone, even though I was playing OK. I somehow managed to keep my composure and shoot 76, and my competitor came back to earth, we ended up tied at 146. We went to the third extra hole before I slightly miss-hit an approach to a par-4, made a so-so chip from a tough lie, and lost with a bogey. I was amazed to shoot 70 on day 1, and really proud of following that up with a second good score under the pressure of my FC's charge.

Twice for me:

The first time was the first time I made it through qualifying for the state AM. I had a 4 shot lead with 3 to play and went Par, Triple Bogey, Bogey and was eliminated on the first hole of a 3 man playoff.

The second time a club championship. I came from 3 back with 7 to play and then went 4 extra holes before losing.

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5 Diamana D+ 62s
Adams Speedline 9032ti HyFW 14.5* Aldila VooDoo SNV7s
Adams Speedline Fast 10 18* Wasabi 70s
Mizuno MP-20 3-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 56*M
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 60*M
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Titleist Pro V1

We tied for first in a big $ 3 man scramble, couldn’t knock it on the par 5 1st in two and lost to an eagle.

Went extras in the final of our club match play a few years ago, made a crazy punch shot from the trees to hit the green and par the 1st, then stuck it to a couple feet on #2 for the win.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Been in a few but here is the most heart breaking one...

Senior year of high school playing as a individual at Sectionals. Three jacked the 18th hole for par to put myself in a 5 way playoff for the last spot to qualify for the state tournament. The first playoff hole is a risk/reward par 5 where cutting the corner off the tee can significantly shorten the hole, but coming up short puts you in a mess of nasty bunkers without much of a look at the green. I was teeing off last and watched the first four guys all play it safe down the fairway leaving themselves a 250-275 yard shot at the green. I knew one of the kids in the playoff with me from previous tournaments and freely admit that he is a much better golfer than myself. I had no interest in putting my drive next to his and watching him beat me from there so I pull driver and hit my best drive of the day cutting the corner and leaving myself 150 to the pin. After watching two of the four other players hit the green, including the good player, I stick a my approach to 10 feet leaving myself a great look at eagle. Now there are two guys off the green, one guy looking at about a 60 footer, and the good player at about 40. The two guys off the green chip up, and sure as s*** the next kid drains his 60 foot putt for eagle and I nearly piss myself. Good player misses his putt, and I'm left with the very definition of a knee knocker... which I make! Put my drive on the second playoff hole in the middle of a pine tree, had to hit backwards to get back to the fairway, and lost that hole to a bogey. Commence lifetime of regret.

Quite a few. My record is ... abysmal. LOL

My horror story:

2015 SCGA Foursomes at Bear Creek. Finished the final round with a decent score. Conditions were brutal. 20 mph wind and rock hard greens at 13 and a set-up only the Marquis de Sade would love. We were sitting at 150 for the two rounds. Figured we were out of it when we finished. Putted a bit, but didn't think we were going to be in a playoff at all.

Our assistant pro saw me putting and brought out a club that I had left in the shop. It was my "extra" hybrid that I sometimes trade out for another club in my bag, depending on the course set up. I set it down on the putting green when I was putting.

Well, you can guess the rest: We got into a playoff, but I had absent-mindedly put that 15th club back in my bag. On our third playoff hole, my partner noticed because I told him prior to the round I was taking out my 2-hybrid (it's the only club I had with a white shaft).

He looks back at me and asks: "Dave, do you have 15 clubs in your bag"?

I immediately said, "No." And then ... "FUUUUUUUUUDGE," except I didn't say "Fudge." LOL

As we went to the 3rd playoff hole, I looked at the officials and I said, "Well, we're done." And that was that.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Quite a few. My record is ... abysmal. LOL

My horror story:

2015 SCGA Foursomes at Bear Creek. Finished the final round with a decent score. Conditions were brutal. 20 mph wind and rock hard greens at 13 and a set-up only the Marquis de Sade would love. We were sitting at 150 for the two rounds. Figured we were out of it when we finished. Putted a bit, but didn't think we were going to be in a playoff at all.

Our assistant pro saw me putting and brought out a club that I had left in the shop. It was my "extra" hybrid that I sometimes trade out for another club in my bag, depending on the course set up. I set it down on the putting green when I was putting.

Well, you can guess the rest: We got into a playoff, but I had absent-mindedly put that 15th club back in my bag. On our third playoff hole, my partner noticed because I told him prior to the round I was taking out my 2-hybrid (it's the only club I had with a white shaft).

He looks back at me and asks: "Dave, do you have 15 clubs in your bag"?

I immediately said, "No." And then ... "FUUUUUUUUUDGE," except I didn't say "Fudge." LOL

As we went to the 3rd playoff hole, I looked at the officials and I said, "Well, we're done." And that was that.

Had to catch myself, I certainly couldn't hit the ''like" button on that one.....There should be a "feel bad" button too!......LOL

I have lived and died by the sword. Too many over the years. I've striped a 3-iron into a Par-5 within inches to get into a playoff (lost that one), and thrown up all over myself to lose the chance to get into a playoff. If you've ever competed at golf at any level, you have had some heartbreak. If you haven't, stick around, it's coming!.....lol

Several tourneys that go to shootouts for flight winners. Mixed results, though never won a shootout. I've been snakebit where, in a true alternate shot playoff, my partner and I made a flawless par and lost in a chip off. Something like 2 out of 5 move on and we were the only team not getting a handicap stroke. One of our competitors holed out the chip, which was actually a borderline flop shot over a bunker.

My first shoot out was memorable though. I'm a newish member and we dominated our flight in the club championship. We were off early so we had a long time between our last hole and the shoot out. I'm sitting under a tent, collecting bets, shooting the breeze, etc. And drinking.

Our pro announces the shootout and gives us a few minutes to warm up. I almost fell over when I got out of my chair. Hammered. Think we made a double if I could have managed to make the 5 footer that remained before we were technically eliminated.

Got into a 6 for 1 playoff for the final spot in our 32-man county match play.

Didn't play well until my final 6 holes in qualifying round, made some long putts on my final few holes. I'm in the last group of qualifying with 2 of the guys running the event who both qualify easily in the top-10 seeds. I was going to leave upon finishing (thought I was way off the mark) but they convinced me to stick around to see how the scores laid out

Because I was in the last group, the other 5 knew well before me that they were likely in a playoff and were already up on the 1st playoff hole waiting.

Tourney director gives me 15min to get stuff sorted out and over to the tee. One of our regulars grabbed me and gave me a last minute 'you're in, go take care of biz' type comment.

Walking up last had 5 guys and a few caddies giving me the 'WTF' face, where you been, etc.

1st playoff hole par-4, 2 guys drop out immediately with quick bogeys. Nothing dramatic, just missed greens and not up and down for par.

2nd playoff hole par-3, 4 of us remaining, 1st guy flies the green by 20+ yds. We had already played the same hole that day, so quite confused to say the least. 2nd guy comes up 20+ yds short, adjusting off the 1st guy who likely just grabbed the incorrect iron. Both guys bogey, down to 2 of us left.

3rd playoff hole, head pro shows upon tee to monitor. Really short par-4, driveable in right conditions. I lay up to 80 yds, other guy hits it way right. I pretty much knew walking off the tee that I had it. Guy took 4min 59 sec to find his ball, hits 2nd and barely misses green. I hit my ball to ~ 25 feet above hole, big breaker left. Made the putt to win.

GAM Net am qualifier. I get killed in this thing most years. I'm usually the lowest 2-3 players handicap wise. Believe me, that's no passive brag... anyway, 7 for 2 spots, 3 hole aggregate, and I had to give 2 shots for 4 of the guys, and 1 shot to the other 2. I had no chance. Went +1 and was knocked out.

Club championship match play couple rounds went > 18 holes. One I won on the first hole, the other went 21 holes. I was playing the top dog in the club, and was making EVERYTHING that day. Had 26 putts thru 18 holes. Made a 15 footer on 18 to tie. Came to 20th hole, has a 10 footer right up the hill... easiest putt of the day, and I just missed it. Next hole, 160 par 3, my opponent drops a 30 footer on me. DOH!