Shaft lean during practice swing but Casting during real swing !!

djamhour

As the title states, I’ve been working on not casting and now I am able to do it in my practice swings but as soon as I put a ball down to try and hit my swing completely changes and I cast and have to stand up through the shot, it’s really frustrating! Anyone got any tips for that? I know I’m sliding during downswing but I’m working on that, hard to get rid of a problem I’ve had since I started 2 years ago. These 2 swings were a practice swing and immediately after tried hitting the ball. Appreciate your help!

Practice swing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KAAUbP9Ff70

Hitting the ball

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TmRXmTSBA

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myi tried attaching but didn’t work. Anyone got a way to upload videos from my phone?

Upload to YouTube then post the url here. Remove the s from https to make the video embed.

ffs why isn’t this instruction in a sticky or the UI yet? And why do we have a Swing Videos and Comments forum that nobody uses?

Myi tried attaching but didn’t work. Anyone got a way to upload videos from my phone?

Upload to YouTube then post the url here. Remove the s from https to make the video embed.

ffs why isn’t this instruction in a sticky or the UI yet? And why do we have a Swing Videos and Comments forum that nobody uses?

Thanks a lot! I’ve been lurking on these forums for a while but I believe first time I posted cause I’d like some input and too cheap/can’t afford lessons with anyone that’s had a good reputation around me

As the title states, I’ve been working on not casting and now I am able to do it in my practice swings but as soon as I put a ball down to try and hit my swing completely changes and I cast and have to stand up through the shot, it’s really frustrating! Anyone got any tips for that? I know I’m sliding during downswing but I’m working on that, hard to get rid of a problem I’ve had since I started 2 years ago. These 2 swings were a practice swing and immediately after tried hitting the ball. Appreciate your help!

Practice swing

Hitting the ball

I have a simple suggestion, and it entails actually taking a couple of steps back. Start with small swings. Maybe watch some videos on set up and chipping. Practice that until you get a feel for what a good strike is, i.e., ball first then ground, handle ahead of the club head, controlling the shot with your body and not your arms and hands. To me, soft hands and relaxed shoulders are key. As soon as you experience that, it gets easier from there. It’s harder to lose bad habits that it is to build a working swing from a good foundation, by a long shot. When practicing, you can use foot powder spray to see where you’re striking the ball on the club face. After you get used to striking the ball on the sweet spot of the club face, you will be on our way to a much more rewarding experience. From chipping to pitching is the natural progression, the simply make a bigger shoulder turn to get to your full swing, always ensuring the quality of ball contact is good. This may sound like a set back, but it really isn’t, and I wish I had done this myself earlier in my golf adventure. I can assure you that after I started doing this, things started falling into place. This is not to say that one can’t play golf with a flippy, casting pattern. But golf is decidedly easier and more enjoyable if you get rid of that.

Practice swing

Hitting the ball

I have a simple suggestion, and it entails actually taking a couple of steps back. Start with small swings. Maybe watch some videos on set up and chipping. Practice that until you get a feel for what a good strike is, i.e., ball first then ground, handle ahead of the club head, controlling the shot with your body and not your arms and hands. To me, soft hands and relaxed shoulders are key. As soon as you experience that, it gets easier from there. It’s harder to lose bad habits that it is to build a working swing from a good foundation, by a long shot. When practicing, you can use foot powder spray to see where you’re striking the ball on the club face. After you get used to striking the ball on the sweet spot of the club face, you will be on our way to a much more rewarding experience. From chipping to pitching is the natural progression, the simply make a bigger shoulder turn to get to your full swing, always ensuring the quality of ball contact is good. This may sound like a set back, but it really isn’t, and I wish I had done this myself earlier in my golf adventure. I can assure you that after I started doing this, things started falling into place. This is not to say that one can’t play golf with a flippy, casting pattern. But golf is decidedly easier and more enjoyable if you get rid of that.

Thanks, I actually started out this sessions with small little chips at impact position trying to get the feel. They weren’t going more than 25-30 yards and really low(8iron). I have a lot of issues I’m trying to work out right now such not sliding in downswing, loosening my grip pressure, need to shorten backswing, more torso rotation at impact and obviously solid contact. Lots of issues which I’m sure will take months to start ingraining those into my swing

Looks like the reason you cast is because your upper body slides toward the target on the downswing, so you have to cast in order to get the club on the back of the ball. Its a subconscious athletic movement. If you held the wrist angle you'd cold top it.

As far as fixing it, you have to have the proper pivot and rotation on the back swing. From there, you naturally uncoil and rotate instead of sliding on the downswing.

Release your right shoulder in the DS ... depress and protract the right scapula. Tension in the right shoulder in the DS is restricting arm travel so you need to lose your right wrist extension to get the club head down to the ball.

One way to fix this is to concentrate on lowering your hand path in the DS.

OK, the reason is you are trying to hit it straight, so the subconscious finds a way to get it straighter from a bad position. Tyler Ferrel explains that the two main ways to get the face straight is casting, or turning the wrist on the downswing and not casting, he suggests most tour pros do the latter. He calls this move the motor cycle, twist the face closed during the early parts of the transition, then keep turning the body, then keep the shaft lean = much better control of direction of face. BUT, it will only work if other parts of the swing are firing too.

I should just point you at his site now, it's a 7 day free trial, but if you can't be bothered, here are a couple of drills:

* Get into the 9 oclock position. You could just stop the backswing at 9 o clock, shift the hips forward, and turn your wrists so the club facing is pointing way more at the ground (almost 90 degrees). Now if you cast from here it will snap hook. If you turn the body and keep hand angle, it will go straight. You shouldn't be able to slice from here

* And to get to this position, on transition, imagine the handle is a motor cycle handle, you are trying to close the face early so you don't feel the need to get it straight later on, ie cast

* And to tie it all in, he has the pump drill. Pause your downswing at 9 oclock, and see if your position is correct. Do it 3 times, then after the 3rd time, hit the ball. Then do a full swing. This pump drill is meant for a lot of his tuition, it is making sure you are hitting positions you are trying to hit.

The above will be super hard, for you and for me too, but it sounds worth the effort.

Simple thing to look at is, in your practice swing your left shoulder works downwards on the backswing and then downwards again through transition on the way back down. A good thing. In your real swing it works down initially on the backswing then flattens out. From there you have to cast otherwise you’d miss the ball.

Get the left shoulder working down back and through transition which will allow you to hold the angle coming down. More lag and more shaft lean.

Luck...

left is setup - middle practice swing, really big lunge - right is swing,lunge less but still get head in front of ball

That skinny tree behind your right ear was just outside it at setup.

Practice with your head along side a wall. Or use a pool noodle on an alignment stick - stuck into the ground leaning toward your sternum - provides a visual awareness of where upper body is during swing.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

If you didn’t cast at impact, you’d miss the ball. You have no secondary tilt and your head has shifted ahead of the ball at impact.

You need to start by adjusting your setup with some secondary/side tilt, then really feel like your head stays behind the ball.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Agree with Toast....setup is very vertical and your head slides significantly towards the target on the downswing. Start with the secondary tilt at address and try to feel the head staying back on the downswing or even move back slightly. Once you get the hang of that.....are you trying to restrict the hip turn on the backswing? Hard for me to tell given the black shorts and darker video but looks like you could use more hip turn going back as well. Again, I would start with setup though.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

PoweredToastMan is right. You are out of position from the get go. Are you working on setting up with all your weight on the left side and then making it worse by toppling forward and past the ball? You've got to stop right now and go see a golf professional for help.

And who dresses you in the morning? Turn on the light and look in a mirror before you step outside.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

left is setup - middle practice swing, really big lunge - right is swing,lunge less but still get head in front of ball

That skinny tree behind your right ear was just outside it at setup.

Practice with your head along side a wall. Or use a pool noodle on an alignment stick - stuck into the ground leaning toward your sternum - provides a visual awareness of where upper body is during swing.

Thanks, I’ll work on that today. Screenshots real helpful too

Right before you hit the ball, think/yell “Flip It! Flip It!” You can thank me later. ;)

Are you talking about Montes cast from the top drill? I’ve tried that and didn’t really do much for me. Thanks tho

If you didn’t cast at impact, you’d miss the ball. You have no secondary tilt and your head has shifted ahead of the ball at impact.

You need to start by adjusting your setup with some secondary/side tilt, then really feel like your head stays behind the ball.

So at setup have some right side “bend/tilt”, and try to keep my head from moving laterally towards target throughout the swing? Thanks

Agree with Toast....setup is very vertical and your head slides significantly towards the target on the downswing. Start with the secondary tilt at address and try to feel the head staying back on the downswing or even move back slightly. Once you get the hang of that.....are you trying to restrict the hip turn on the backswing? Hard for me to tell given the black shorts and darker video but looks like you could use more hip turn going back as well. Again, I would start with setup though.

Thanks for that! I will work on that today. As far as hip turn I had a reverse pivot before and worked on that before but I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it. But I’ve started golfing about 2 years ago. I’ve had a problem with my right knee for about 3 now. It’s very weak and I can’t strengthen cause it hurts when I try to. My have my 7th surgery in a few months to try to get it back to normal. And I’m playing golf on it cause I don’t really feel any pain swinging and Its the only sport I can play that I enjoy.

PoweredToastMan is right. You are out of position from the get go. Are you working on setting up with all your weight on the left side and then making it worse by toppling forward and past the ball? You've got to stop right now and go see a golf professional for help.

And who dresses you in the morning? Turn on the light and look in a mirror before you step outside.

I never noticed that, but I’ll work on it. Why you mad though? Maybe I’ll wear dress shoes next time for you haha..

No tilt away from target at impact , head is ahead of the ball . Casting is an effect here . Stay behind the ball

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Dude is wearing shorts and a t-shirt. What's your problem?

You look a lot like I used to. No hip turn back, swinging back in a straight line instead of on the arc, leaning towards target because you think you can make your hands get ahead of the ball and you must HIT DOWN. After all those wrong intentions your brain knows that the only way to hit the ball and not dig it into the ground a foot behind is to stand up and flip.

Two pairs of shorts, white shoes, black socks. Thought I was at Walmart.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

haha. I'll give you the black socks, I missed that. Think they are just one pair of two toned shorts, but would need the OP to confirm.

haha. I'll give you the black socks, I missed that. Think they are just one pair of two toned shorts, but would need the OP to confirm.

Lol.. I came here for my swing faults and getting fashion advice. But since someone wants to nitpick about what I’m wearing. It’s one pair of shorts, I had slippers on, running an errand but decided to stop by the range on my way to record a few swings. So I had shoes in the car that I slipped on , happy?

Anyways as far as the swings go, I tried feet together drill( but feet about 6 inches apart) and my head stays back a lot more or else I’ll fall over . I tried spine tilting as well and it feels weird but seems better. It feels as if I’m Hanging back and in a revserse C posture but I’m really not. One issue I was a bit confused about with spine tilt is that my shoulders seemed more pointing out to right field and I wasn’t sure if I was rotating my shoulders properly since Its a different feel during the backswing.

I also noticed on my downswing my hand path from DTL view seem to really come close to my body vs a bit out like most great swings. I can try post and record a video later tonight if I have time. Thanks

Lol.. I came here for my swing faults and getting fashion advice. But since someone wants to nitpick about what I'm wearing. It's one pair of shorts, I had slippers on, running an errand but decided to stop by the range on my way to record a few swings. So I had shoes in the car that I slipped on , happy?

Anyways as far as the swings go, I tried feet together drill( but feet about 6 inches apart) and my head stays back a lot more or else I'll fall over . I tried spine tilting as well and it feels weird but seems better. It feels as if I'm Hanging back and in a reverse C posture but I'm really not. One issue I was a bit confused about with spine tilt is that my shoulders seemed more pointing out to right field and I wasn't sure if I was rotating my shoulders properly since Its a different feel during the backswing.

I also noticed on my downswing my hand path from DTL view seem to really come close to my body vs a bit out like most great swings. I can try post and record a video later tonight if I have time. Thanks

Fair enough on the clothing faux pas. I guess if Monte can wear cargo shorts, you're okay.

You've got to get into the reverse K position at address and get your weight onto your right side. On the downswing, you can't get past the ball like you are because the only way to get the ball going anywhere remotely forward, is to flip it. Shaft lean and lag are the least of the issues. Can't stress enough how important it is to get a good instructor to help you out here. It took me over a year to get comfortable with a better setup position and not screw it up.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Take a friend with you to the range. Let that friend use one of your golf clubs.

-Get in your setup with some side tilt. Now have your friend stand behind you and use that club to check if your shoulder alignment is parallel to your target.

-Now have your friend stand in front of you, standing a few feet away from you and reaching out with the grip of the club, and resting it on the left side of your head

-Now make golf swings, not letting your head hit that shaft until after impact (or not at all).

It’s going to take a lot of hard work. It’s going to feel awful. You’ll hit a lot of fat shots for a while. But stick with it and you’ll play the best golf of your life.

Edit: If you don’t see results in a few weeks, come back and we will recommend a good pro in your area to help you out.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip