What is the typical markup on golf products?

myphriendmike

My club offers a $400 “buy-in” to the pro shop which is a credit to your account and allows for discounted purchases throughout the year. This “discount” is 20% above cost for hard goods and 30% above cost for soft goods.

This doesn’t strike me as a particularly good deal especially for a not-for-profit club.

I know it’s probably all over the board, but what is the usual markup for equipment, whether at a pro shop, big box, or online?

If I’m going to buy a set of sticks, am i better off just buying online?

Thanks!

We have a similar deal at our club. For our Cup matches, we order FootJoy shirts for each team. The cost to the club is around $45 / shirt. If I were to buy the shirt from the club, it would be around $65 and at a Golf Galaxy probably $75.

I also just ordered some Ping i200 irons and basically got 6 clubs for the price of 5.

The thought behind the discount from the club is that you will probably buy more stuff from them then you otherwise would. It would also keep you purchasing from them rather that a big box store.

• Taylormade Qi10 LS at 10.5° - Ventus TR Blue
  • Callaway Epic Speed (3) 15° - Mitsubishi TB
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (7) 20° -  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Callaway ‘21 Apex Pro 23° - Mitsubishi Tensei HY Blue
  • Srixon ZX5 MKII Black Chrome 5-W
  • Ping S159 Midnight- 56°, 60°
  • Taylormade Spider Tour Z

I ordered my G400 driver this past summer at my local golf club which has a PING account. When it arrived the pro was in the middle of multiple transactions, and left my order ticket out in front of me. My cost was $399 plus a different grip and tax, however on the ticket was also another price of $269 in the corner. I’m assuming that was the price to them from PING, don’t know what else that it could have been.

My club offers a $400 “buy-in” to the pro shop which is a credit to your account and allows for discounted purchases throughout the year. This “discount” is 20% above cost for hard goods and 30% above cost for soft goods.

This doesn’t strike me as a particularly good deal especially for a not-for-profit club.

I know it’s probably all over the board, but what is the usual markup for equipment, whether at a pro shop, big box, or online?

If I’m going to buy a set of sticks, am i better off just buying online?

Thanks!

I don't claim to know the typical mark-ups, and we each have to make some judgement as to any non-monetary value derived from purchasing in-house. At my home club, our tournament winnings come in the form of pro-shop credit, so I do buy clothing throughout the season. I buy clubs relatively seldom, but I generally buy at the end of the year when I have credit built up. I wouldn't ever use the pro for club-fitting, or borrow the demo clubs he has, and then buy elsewhere. Buying at the club is one way of supporting the club, and directly supporting the pro in a few cases. If I want the pro shop to be stocked with nice stuff, I better be prepared to buy some of that stuff. For soft goods with the club logo, there's a significant investment in stocking the shelves, and the prices have to cover the goods that don't sell. Its not like you can send them back to the manufacturer, not after the logo is sewn on. I guess what I'm saying is that I'll buy at my home club whenever the price is anywhere close to what I can get online, its just the right thing to do in my opinion.

I think it varies based on the clubs but at the one I used to work at we were typically around 30% mark up on hard goods like clubs, shoes, umbrellas. Clothing and hats were usually marked up 50% from cost.

Golf balls is an entirely different thing with usually only a couple dollars difference from cost to retail price.

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha DBD16 Evenflow Blue
3 Wood: Callaway XR Pro 15* Tensei Orange
Hybrid: Cobra Bio Cell 19* Tensei Orange
Irons: Miura CB/MB Combo Y Grind 4-PW
Wedges: Miura 51*/55* PM Grind 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Ardmore

I think it varies based on the clubs but at the one I used to work at we were typically around 30% mark up on hard goods like clubs, shoes, umbrellas. Clothing and hats were usually marked up 50% from cost.

Golf balls is an entirely different thing with usually only a couple dollars difference from cost to retail price.

I spent several years in golf and non-golf retail and this is about right. I’d maybe put shoes closer to a 50% markup and clubs closer to 20% but other than that it is close. All those shoe whores out there would die if they knew how much those Jordan’s were marked up!

I ordered my G400 driver this past summer at my local golf club which has a PING account. When it arrived the pro was in the middle of multiple transactions, and left my order ticket out in front of me. My cost was $399 plus a different grip and tax, however on the ticket was also another price of $269 in the corner. I’m assuming that was the price to them from PING, don’t know what else that it could have been.

Just to touch on this, your club or any retail vendor can NOT sell Ping under the advertised retail price. Ping will take away their distributorship if caught doing so

I’d say those are good deals. Similar to what I do for a friends and family price in my shop. Imagine a $60 retail shirt at $30 wholesale. You’re getting I for $42. Then imagine a $400 driver at $270 wholesale. You’ll get it for about $337. Not bad at all if you buy a lot of gear throughout the year. You won’t touch those prices at retail on brand new products.

Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

Just to touch on this, your club or any retail vendor can NOT sell Ping under the advertised retail price. Ping will take away their distributorship if caught doing so

I think you misread his post . He paid full retail , the course just forgot to not show him what they paid from ping for the club

Thanks!

I went back to this original post, and the offer makes a lot of sense to me from the club's standpoint. The pro shop has to buy the stuff up front, and most of it cannot be returned. That specifically applies to soft goods with the club logo, hats, shirts, sweaters. Getting some money up front may be critical in being able to stock this kind of merchandise. It makes sense for members to take advantage of it, since they DO receive a discount, and they DO get the benefit of a properly stocked pro shop. I've been in pro shops where there's very little merchandise for sale, and been told they simply can't afford the up-front cost to stock the shelves. If you prefer to have bare shelves in your local pro shop, the best way to achieve that is to buy everything possible from an online source, and save a couple of bucks.

My knowledge is from years back, so maybe things are changing, but the big box stores always paid less than cost thanks to aggressive dating for high volume purchases. The singular pro-shop typically couldn't buy so many or pay so quickly to even be competitive. I kind of like the idea of a buy-in discount program at your local C.C., so you're giving them a level of profit before ever buying anything, then the more you buy, the more you save all while supporting your pro-shop...

You would be surprised what private clubs can and will do with club pricing, including Ping and Titleist.

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

Another thing you have to consider Tier discounts, if they still do that! Golf companies used to give these types of discounts or say more of a discount on their stuff depending on the volume of goods the golf store buys.

Just an example: So say a standard discount is 25% for a purchase of less than 20k worth of stuff but it might be 30% discount if you order 30-35k worth of stuff.

Another way they used to give a deal or discount is to say that if you buy a dozen drivers, we will give you 3-4 free! You end up with 15-16 drivers but now they cost alittle less cause of the "free" ones that are figured into the total cost of the drivers.

This is a myth. Ping authorizes discounts all the time, but in the form of marketing/promotional dollars. For instance, the big box store I used to work at runs a free wedge promotion in March, where if you buy a 7-piece, current iron set, we'd throw in the accompanying tour wedge. For instance, if you bought G400 5-UW, you got a free Glide 2.0 of your choosing. In April we run a trade-in bonus on golf clubs. All current model irons get your base trade value + $125 if you buy at least 6 pieces, $100 for new drivers, $75 for new fairways, and $50 for new hybrids + your base trade-in value. I asked my Ping rep about this, and (see quote below) he mentioned tiered accounts. Every account gets a certain percentage of promo dollars, and it depends on the volume of inventory you buy. So obviously a store that does $6mil in sales per year (as mine does) x 50 stores is going to get A LOT more promo and play money than a single proshop does that might turn $50-75k in a year. However, they don't play favourites, if you are in that $50k level, lets say, then you get the same as everyone else at the $50k level. The problem is, a lot of proshops complain about the free wedge or whatever, despite being at a close level, but he has to remind them that their entire pro shop staff and GM got free Ping club packages that year, using the promo dollars instead of putting it towards, you know, promotions and marketing. You can't have it both ways unfortunately.

Another thing you have to consider Tier discounts, if they still do that! Golf companies used to give these types of discounts or say more of a discount on their stuff depending on the volume of goods the golf store buys.

Just an example: So say a standard discount is 25% for a purchase of less than 20k worth of stuff but it might be 30% discount if you order 30-35k worth of stuff.

Another way they used to give a deal or discount is to say that if you buy a dozen drivers, we will give you 3-4 free! You end up with 15-16 drivers but now they cost alittle less cause of the "free" ones that are figured into the total cost of the drivers.

Tiered accounts are definitely still a thing. I had a conversation with a Ping rep about 3 weeks ago about this very thing.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Thanks for all the replies. Good insight here. I had considered the need to support your pro shop, but my instinct said, if I’m paying upfront, why not offer at cost? This thread drove it home that it’s hard to run a shop, and it sounds like what they’re offering is as good a deal as I’ll find.

This is my first year at a private club, and while I was aware of all the add-on costs, it still stings a little each time, i.e. is it worth $175 for a locker?!

Thanks for all the replies. Good insight here. I had considered the need to support your pro shop, but my instinct said, if I’m paying upfront, why not offer at cost? This thread drove it home that it’s hard to run a shop, and it sounds like what they’re offering is as good a deal as I’ll find.

This is my first year at a private club, and while I was aware of all the add-on costs, it still stings a little each time, i.e. is it worth $175 for a locker?!

Why would a proshop offer you cost? They have to make money to pay their staff and order product.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Not sure about Retail outlets.

But I'm relatively certain that Tyson Lamb 'pop-top' ball markers go for anywhere between 100% to 300% markup on the BST.

I wish I had an auto-ignore button for those BST ads.

No doubt. I’m wondering if any of the original buyers actually kept a single one?

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

When I was in the biz we were happy to make $50 on a set of irons and $75 on a driver

The money is in non pro line stuff and soft goods

We used to sell the early Tour Edge stuff - dear god we'd make $300 on irons lol

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2