Ping's G400 Irons - nearing a final iteration?

G400 are GI irons and G700 are SGI irons. Not sure how one would replace the other? The G700 is a much larger club from all the reviews I've read and is geared towards another type of player. They are not the same as the TM 790s either and maybe you're confusing them for what is being played at the Masters? The G irons have been the top selling irons for Ping for several generations so I doubt very much that they would eliminate them, especially for those like myself that like the forgiveness but also like to see a smaller profile (they're made the G and G400 irons look much better than previous versions). In the end Ping is making terrific clubs these days and I'm a big fan.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G400 over the 700 all the way. The 700 looks like a sod cutter. Big and hollow. It definitely inspires confidence that you are about to hit something with a big hunk of metal. I could see using one as a driving iron but I would not want to play those scoring irons and endure that turf contact. People are keen on the 'look' of the G700 but to me that is its main plus. I don't think there is a player alive who really needs the G700 steroidal head size and design to play solid golf.

I'd play the G400 or i200 or i E1 over the 700. Let's hope Ping does not become enthralled with hollow hammer heads.

With all due respect, I'm not sure where you (or anybody else) are getting the size difference thing. I hit the G700 and the G400 THIS WEEK, and couldn't tell any difference in that regard, except that the G700 appeared to have a slightly thinner topline and slightly less offset. The offset, I think is an illusion; the specs on the Ping website seem to be the same for the G400 and the G700, and for that matter, the G30's that I currently use. I think the thinner topline in the G700s is marginally true. But heel to toe difference? I didn't see any in any of the G irons, current or past.

All of that said, I'm not sure the engineers at Ping have ever done much other than "form follows function" when they design clubs. The objections you have to the G700, whether accurate or not, are EXACTLY the things that people said about the Eye2 and pretty much every Ping iron since.

The offset on both (G400 & G700) is the same. For example on both 5 irons, 0.26". Length heel/toe just appears longer. I haven't measured but heres a pic. You can decide. G700 on the right.

Bigger? sure, ridiculously bigger? not by that pic. Toplines appear pretty much the same, G700 looks a little longer heel to toe. Too much offset in both for my taste, but play what YOU like to look down at. Only thing that i would wonder about is do they feel and most importantly play that much better than the G400, relative to the difference in price. Really cannot see Ping ditching the "G" line anytime soon, way too successful. The G700 would have do incredible sales wise and I think the premium price point will keep that from happening. Beautiful club design though(minus the offset).

G400 over the 700 all the way. The 700 looks like a sod cutter. Big and hollow. It definitely inspires confidence that you are about to hit something with a big hunk of metal. I could see using one as a driving iron but I would not want to play those scoring irons and endure that turf contact. People are keen on the 'look' of the G700 but to me that is its main plus. I don't think there is a player alive who really needs the G700 steroidal head size and design to play solid golf.

I'd play the G400 or i200 or i E1 over the 700. Let's hope Ping does not become enthralled with hollow hammer heads.

With all due respect, I'm not sure where you (or anybody else) are getting the size difference thing. I hit the G700 and the G400 THIS WEEK, and couldn't tell any difference in that regard, except that the G700 appeared to have a slightly thinner topline and slightly less offset. The offset, I think is an illusion; the specs on the Ping website seem to be the same for the G400 and the G700, and for that matter, the G30's that I currently use. I think the thinner topline in the G700s is marginally true. But heel to toe difference? I didn't see any in any of the G irons, current or past.

All of that said, I'm not sure the engineers at Ping have ever done much other than "form follows function" when they design clubs. The objections you have to the G700, whether accurate or not, are EXACTLY the things that people said about the Eye2 and pretty much every Ping iron since.

The offset on both (G400 & G700) is the same. For example on both 5 irons, 0.26". Length heel/toe just appears longer. I haven't measured but heres a pic. You can decide. G700 on the right.

Bigger? sure, ridiculously bigger? not by that pic. Toplines appear pretty much the same, G700 looks a little longer heel to toe. Too much offset in both for my taste, but play what YOU like to look down at. Only thing that i would wonder about is do they feel and most importantly play that much better than the G400, relative to the difference in price. Really cannot see Ping ditching the "G" line anytime soon, way too successful. The G700 would have do incredible sales wise and I think the premium price point will keep that from happening. Beautiful club design though(minus the offset).

I think its much like the Rapture lines price point which at the time was higher than the standard Ping GI iron. With lofts that are only .5* stronger and club lengths the same I just don't see them being a great leap in performance over the 400's. And if that small distance gain is that important just order the 400's with the Power Loft option and your good. Is it worth the $40.00 per club more for the 700's? That's up to the buyer. IF I was in the market I'd stick with the 400's. Hell I can't justify the 400's over my G Series. There's another .5* decrease in lofts there. But I've hit both back to back (G Series & 400's) and I just don't see enough performance increase to justify changing. But if your looking at irons both 700's and 400's are great. Nice decision to have as both are great products.

Ping G410 9* LST
Callaway Mavrik 4 Wood

Ping G25 7 Wood

Ping G710's 5 thru UW
Vokey SM6 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM6 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Custom Compass Golf "Fang"

• 2 weeks later...

Is that not a 7-iron on the left or am I missing something? I thought you were comparing 5-irons...

Titleist JDM TSi3  9*                     Fujikura Ventus Red 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5
MIURA CB57 4-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

I looked at these again. I will agree that the G700 is nice looking. I still like the look from address of the G400. They are pretty close in size, but to my eye the 700 seems like a thicker clubhead in the chassis, if not topline so much. It does not look as good to me.

I am sure it is a rocket launcher. But the lofts are so strong on the 400 that it is not a distance decision between these two. It is about precision. I’d need to try both on a course to get a real feel. Launch monitors are like online dating. The data and profile looks good but the real meeting could be disappointing.

• 1 month later...

I own G400. G700 are hideous in size IMO. G400 is as big as I can play. For those that want to hit the ball a mile....why? If your 4 iron is as long as your 5 wood lol what good does that do you?

G400 irons are long. I carry the 4 iron 200 yards on trackman. If I could carry the G700 210 or 220, well guess what...my 5 wood would be redundant. Which is 220 off deck carry.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Ok, today I finally had the chance to try a g700 (9 iron).

Well, it was just about 20 balls, but it didn't blow me up. Maybe I had too high expectations, given from the comments I read in the forum.

Anyway here my impression:

- ball flight too high (vs my g400s) and tried with stiff awt shaft (mine is regular)

- didn't like the sound, tinny to my liking

- the feedback of a terrible shot or a nice one wasn't that different. Maybe after hundreds balls it would feel different.

Bottom line, I would buy my 400s again.

I am currently playing G400's. Out of curiosity, I did a comparison test of the G400 vs G700 [using a 7 iron] According to the monitor I was hitting the G700 higher, 20 yards farther, and with a tighter dispersion.

Results like this suggest there is a fitting problem with your G400's. You might want to review the specs and talk to a fitter if you are not familiar with doing a comparison like this. You must be missing the center of the face with the 400's and dead nutting the 700. Plus maybe a shaft difference. I say this because no head can gain a person 20 yards and improve accuracy, all else being equal.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

So having seen the G700 irons, and their nearly universal approval, it seems hard to find a way forward for the G400 line. Sure, they'll probably be around at least one more go around, but their days seem numbered. Some thoughts:

G700s are the apparent successors to GMax irons. There are a few G700s in play in the Masters this week. I'm fairly confident that a GMax never saw Augusta.

G700 irons are roughly the same size, offset, and sole width of the 400s. They aren't the same as the older GMax.

G700s as distance irons appear to out-perform G400s in launch window height, and tend to go further, even setting all lofts equal.

So if I'm a potential SGI customer, where's the story for the 400 irons? I'm just not seeing it. Even in the interviews, Jertsen had a hard time making the case for the 400s.

With the impending i500s (probably) being an augmentation of the i200(210?)/iBlade at the top, it's clear that the G700 is the distance iron now.

The prosecution rests, your Honor.

Is this the (nearly) last iteration of a great shape iron head, or does this non-hollow shape have a future in the line-up? Thoughts?

Having owned 47 sets of all type irons I think I have a somewhat experienced eye for iron profiles and although both the G400s and G700s are fine irons and I would gladly play either I feel the G400 has a much sleeker and smaller profile look of the two. The G700s are just plain huge.Not bad just huge.

I demo'd both with a fitter and the results were so similar, there is no way I could justify the extra expense of the G700. I also prefer the finish of the G400 and the way it looks at address. They might be close to the same size (dimensions) but side-by-side the G700 looks much bigger to me. G400 was an easy choice for me.

• PING G400SFT 12*
  • PING G400 4h, 5h
  • Callaway XROS 7h
  • PING G400 8,9,W,UW
  • Callaway SureOut 56* SW
  • Odyssey VLine
  • 2 weeks later...

I demo'd both with a fitter and the results were so similar, there is no way I could justify the extra expense of the G700. I also prefer the finish of the G400 and the way it looks at address. They might be close to the same size (dimensions) but side-by-side the G700 looks much bigger to me. G400 was an easy choice for me.

Agree

Pretty sure the traditional cavity back G series Ping's have got a good many iterations to come. I wouldn't be surprised to see them move to a welded spring face in the coming years but moving them to hollow body is questionable unless Ping (and their head contractor) figures out how to make them to a lower price point. Technically, a hollow body head doesn't really have much in the way of advantage with performance, it's more of a style and/or a feel thing. Ping didn't fill the G700 heads with elastomer like the PXG and Taylormade though so don't think they went after the feel advantage. That would have added even more cost to an already expensive set of irons so that may have been the reasoning. Plus, everyone would be saying Ping copied these other companies too.

I agree with everything you say but for me, the one thing an iron should never sound like is hollow and how expensive is foam injection these days? Weren't some of the earliest fairway metals foam filled or did I dream that?

Pretty sure the traditional cavity back G series Ping's have got a good many iterations to come. I wouldn't be surprised to see them move to a welded spring face in the coming years but moving them to hollow body is questionable unless Ping (and their head contractor) figures out how to make them to a lower price point. Technically, a hollow body head doesn't really have much in the way of advantage with performance, it's more of a style and/or a feel thing. Ping didn't fill the G700 heads with elastomer like the PXG and Taylormade though so don't think they went after the feel advantage. That would have added even more cost to an already expensive set of irons so that may have been the reasoning. Plus, everyone would be saying Ping copied these other companies too.

I agree with everything you say but for me, the one thing an iron should never sound like is hollow and how expensive is foam injection these days? Weren't some of the earliest fairway metals foam filled or did I dream that?

Some of those older metal woods used expandable foam on the inside. I'm sure Ping could have speced that but they didn't for some reason. I think Ping swingweights with hotmelt inside the head on the G700 just like they do on some of their woods and they couldn't do that if there was foam inside. I'm not sure if that was the primary reason why they chose no foam though.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

I already have the I 200s and decided I wanted more distance in my 4,5,6 iron and something more forgiving so I bought the 700 in a 4,5,6, iron to use as a mixed set.

They both have the nippon 105 shafts and it turns out to be a good combination for me.

How did you handle the gapping. Looking to do the same thing for a 5 iron. 6-pw i200. The I series are power spec. Thanks.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Titleist TSi2 9° AD IZ 6s
Titleist TS2 16.5°  EF White 65s
Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid Tensei White
Mizuno HM 7-PW Recoil 95r
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Ping Sigma 2 Valor

I haven't hit the G700 irons, but from early reports it may be "too much of a good thing" for stronger SGI golfers.

Let's go back a decade to 2009 when I switched irons for the first time in 14 years. Auditioning replacements, I tried both the Ping G10 and the second-generation Big Berthas - SGI irons with a high-launch shafts. For both club models, everything 7 iron and shorter shot up in the air like a Ray Guy punt.

I then tried the SGI Callaway X20 with the mid-launch Uniflex shaft. This gave me more distance and a more manageable trajectory. (I played the base X20 irons for two seasons before switching to X20 Tours).

Possibly the G700 irons have the G10 / Bertha drawbacks, plus added cost.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Some of those older metal woods used expandable foam on the inside. I'm sure Ping could have speced that but they didn't for some reason. I think Ping swingweights with hotmelt inside the head on the G700 just like they do on some of their woods and they couldn't do that if there was foam inside. I'm not sure if that was the primary reason why they chose no foam though.

The screw on the toe of the iron is a weight screw. That's how Ping swing weights their hollow body irons.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag
Ping G400 Max 9.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex
XXIO 4w, 7w, MP900 Graphite R-Flex
Cobra King OS 5h, UST Recoil ES 460 ES F3
Callaway Apex '21 DCB 6-P, UST Recoil Smacwrap ES 760 F2 Matte Black
Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex
Taylormade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil Smacwrap ES 760 F3
LAB Golf DF 2.1 Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour Black, LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip
Clicgear 3.5+ Cart, Leupold GX-4i2 Rangefinder, Seamus Headcovers
Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

I am a 7 hcp and the G400 irons are great for me. I have no trouble in the rough or chipping with them.

For me they are very durable, consistent and long .

Fitting yourself with the right shaft and these irons really are forgiving and they preform.

Ping G 425, 10.5, Tensi Blue
Sub 70, 4 Wood  Even Flow Riptide
Ping G410, 7 wood, Tensi Orange 
Ping G425 Hybrid 22
Ping G425, 6-GW, KBS Tour 105
Odyssey OG #7S
Vokey SM8  Wedges, 56 / 58 DG s400 Wedge shafts

• 4 weeks later...

The screw on the toe of the iron is a weight screw. That's how Ping swing weights their hollow body irons.

Any idea what size screw it is and if it can be replaced with heavier ones ?

Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 12*

Callaway Epic Flash 7w

Exotics Trilogy 5h / Xrail 5h -1"

Ping i200 6-GW

Cleveland CBX Full Face 56/60

Callaway Sure Out 64

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 9.2

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea what size screw it is and if it can be replaced with heavier ones ?

The screw is there so head can have hot melt can be added. But PING has said do not add it to the face.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Going to be a bit of a gamble to buy i500 and g700 irons used. Wish Ping had staked the screw.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Titleist TSi2 9° AD IZ 6s
Titleist TS2 16.5°  EF White 65s
Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid Tensei White
Mizuno HM 7-PW Recoil 95r
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Ping Sigma 2 Valor