2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Patrick Reed golf.com Story - A Must Read

williamsnrb

I think a lot of the problem is the Top 5 comment he made some years back. He knew he was good at the time and truly believed it. He then went on to back it up with some wins, success in the Ryder cup, and now the Masters. A lot of us would love to have that kind of confidence and belief in ourselves. But in golf, it comes across as arrogant to be that way. I think people are perhaps jealous of his self belief and ability to back it up is what I’m trying to say.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn’t know who he was until this past week. All I can say is that everyone of us has to come to a point where we throw away all the bitterness of the past and forgive our parents for any possible wrongs. This young man is at the pinnacle of his career and old enough to have overcome whatever ill he feels happened to him. Short of that, he is a broken man and will never reach his full potential of happiness. That is all I need to know. Poor kid is suffering and at this point it has nothing to do with his family.

Shipnuck is a good egg. He’s just doing his job with the facts that he was presented with. It’s not an attack piece as somebody said earlier. He’s just highlighting some issues that remain unclear with Reed.

Did anyone notice how Kuch was standing at 18 and talking to Justine during the telecast? Reed wins and Kuch is gone. That was kind of strange.

Also, not get too conspiracy theoretical here (but it’s 2AM so here goes) but I recently rewatched Gone Girl (haha i know) and I can’t help but think of the story he tells to Feherty about his wife almost drowning in a bathtub and Capt America comes to the rescue and saves her... IF she is a sociopathic mastermind and master manipulator (or crazy b like some of you have suggested) that just so happens to be an RN... She could’ve totally staged the entire thing to reestablish some weird mind control over Patrick. Maybe the guy was having mixed feelings about the entire excommunication of his family and she wasn’t having it. Or maybe P Reed is golf’s equivalent of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. I mean who has a playlist of one really bad song on during a range session, that’s kind of strange to me at least. I’m a film major, I’m sorry. I can’t help but start writing a screenplay in my head...

But this is an incredibly interesting story. It’s a mix between Aaron Rodgers and Prince Fielder in a way. Bonds with our families and loved ones are paramount in our experience as humans. So to those who say this is irrelevant and to just focus on his golf. I say to you, no. P Reed from what we DO know is a guy who has gone through some ups and downs, but he’s a fellow club ho like most of us here and he conquers giants on the course. All anti-heros seem to have troubled pasts and questionable character and P Reed is no different. I wish we could know more, but we probably never will and that only makes him all the more interesting.

Bravo on the win though.

[b]Callaway [/b]GBB Epic SZ 9° MRC KK Dual Core Silver Proto 60 TS
[b]Titleist[/b] 915F 15° Aldila Rogue 70X
[b]Titleist [/b]712U 3i KBS C-Taper Lite 115x
[b]Mizuno[/b] MP5 (4-9) KBS C-Taper Lite 115x
[b]Vokey[/b] SM6 48° 52° (F) 56° (M) 60° (L) DG Tour Issue s400
[b]Scotty Cameron[/b] Studio Design 3.5 34"
[b]Kirkland[/b] Signature[b], Titleist[/b] Pro V1 and [b]Srixon[/b] Z Star

I have a very low opinion of reality tv and I have an even lower opinion of people who get off on it. There is no denying that people take enjoyment from watching or reading about others' misery. Those people will rarely admit to it, but they take pleasure in watching other people fall from grace. It does make them feel better about whatever shortcomings they have in their own life. This stuff is no different.

The only logical reason for anyone to care about this story is they themselves have been in a similar situation with their family. Outside of that, if this really interests you, you should get out more and live your own life.

That's not the case with me. I've never been in a similar situation, but I am interested in finding out more details (his side of the story, though we probably won't ever get it) so I can better understand how he has been able to overcome what I would think would be devastating losses (alienating your family) - and continue to climb the ladder of success on Tour. I also don't find enjoyment in others' misery. If anything, it saddens me. And I despise most reality TV, so your conclusions are at least not correct for me.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

I think the story is a shallow and mindless.

If you have parents, you know there is a bond that takes many transgressions to break.

If you are a parent, you know there is a bond with your children that takes many transgressions to break.

Unfortunately, these breaks happen within families but to understand why takes more than a few paragraphs or a few pages. Maybe we might have a hint about Patrick and his family if we could see years of their lives play in front of us but even that is doubtful. Only if you could understand their thoughts and feel what they feel in their hearts could you maybe get a glimpse of what is actually going on in their lives now.

My sister was the all american girl. Honor society, cheerleader, good heart. My parents were the most loving parents I know and would have done anything for their children.

One day girl meets older boy, older boy introduces pretty young girl to parties and drugs, parents try their very best to intervene, girl steals from parents for drug money, parents try to help but young girl repeats the above over and over for years. Father dies without his little girl in his life and little girl becomes a grandparent without her parents in her life.

That is how I can explain that story in a paragraph.

Anyone think they understand my family?

I can tell you it hurt and hurt and hurt everyone involved but I can't even understand it!

I hate to hear that for you, man.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

Didn't know who he was until this past week. All I can say is that everyone of us has to come to a point where we throw away all the bitterness of the past and forgive our parents for any possible wrongs. This young man is at the pinnacle of his career and old enough to have overcome whatever ill he feels happened to him. Short of that, he is a broken man and will never reach his full potential of happiness. That is all I need to know. Poor kid is suffering and at this point it has nothing to do with his family.

Didn't know who Patrick Reed was ??

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Didn’t know who he was until this past week. All I can say is that everyone of us has to come to a point where we throw away all the bitterness of the past and forgive our parents for any possible wrongs. This young man is at the pinnacle of his career and old enough to have overcome whatever ill he feels happened to him. Short of that, he is a broken man and will never reach his full potential of happiness. That is all I need to know. Poor kid is suffering and at this point it has nothing to do with his family.

The real world just doesn’t work in absolutes like that.

Example. You’re a kid who’s parents basically abandon you . On drugs don’t work etc. fast forward 30 years. You have kids of your own. Your Parents are split and each higher functioning addicts. ( still using. Just forced to work a job now ). Do you trust your kids with them ? Hell no. No chance. It’s a trust that’s so natural. Yet if it’s ever truly broken it cannot be regained. Not by a sane person.

As the old saying goes. “ where there is no trust. There is no family “.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Didn't know who he was until this past week. All I can say is that everyone of us has to come to a point where we throw away all the bitterness of the past and forgive our parents for any possible wrongs. This young man is at the pinnacle of his career and old enough to have overcome whatever ill he feels happened to him. Short of that, he is a broken man and will never reach his full potential of happiness. That is all I need to know. Poor kid is suffering and at this point it has nothing to do with his family.

The real world just doesn't work in absolutes like that.

Example. You're a kid who's parents basically abandon you . On drugs don't work etc. fast forward 30 years. You have kids of your own. Your Parents are split and each higher functioning addicts. ( still using. Just forced to work a job now ). Do you trust your kids with them ? Hell no. No chance. It's a trust that's so natural. Yet if it's ever truly broken it cannot be regained. Not by a sane person.

As the old saying goes. " where there is no trust. There is no family ".

My dad left when I was 8 years old. I didn't see him again until I was 29 with the exception of reading his arrest records on the front page of the regional newspaper every so often. He reached out for reconciliation when I was 29 after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Against my better judgement, I went to see him on three occasions over the next few weeks. What I was left with after his passing was more bitterness, distrust and disgust for his whole family.

He left his possessions to his brothers and sisters who had always enabled (and participated) in his illicit drug and alcohol abuse. They sold everything and built a mountain/lake retreat for the "family" to use as party central. I was left with the funeral expenses!

So, yeah, where there is no trust, there is no family!

Example. You're a kid who's parents basically abandon you . On drugs don't work etc. fast forward 30 years. You have kids of your own. Your Parents are split and each higher functioning addicts. ( still using. Just forced to work a job now ). Do you trust your kids with them ? Hell no. No chance. It's a trust that's so natural. Yet if it's ever truly broken it cannot be regained. Not by a sane person.

My dad left when I was 8 years old. I didn't see him again until I was 29 with the exception of reading his arrest records on the front page of the regional newspaper every so often. He reached out for reconciliation when I was 29 after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Against my better judgement, I went to see him on three occasions over the next few weeks. What I was left with after his passing was more bitterness, distrust and disgust for his whole family.

He left his possessions to his brothers and sisters who had always enabled (and participated) in his illicit drug and alcohol abuse. They sold everything and built a mountain/lake retreat for the "family" to use as party central. I was left with the funeral expenses!

Sorry to hear that Friend.....

I dont know if you have kids or not . But be prepared for further hurt or in my case RAGE when you realize all the things that he missed in your life. When you realize how hard the job is and how much he did not do ... How much he chickened out on . and how little you were valued. When you participate in your own kids events and accomplishments it puts it into perspective and the divide becomes x2 or more...... Its a choice some make and its a disgusting one... One i cant imagine making. . The bright side is it will make you a great father.... You now know exactly what not to do. You take that as a challenge and go forward with it . A challenge to break that cycle .

Now i know that Reeds situation isnt this.. so before some smart a** points it out..there i said it already... But it does illustrate that these "absolutes" and idealistic views just dont pan out in the real world... all Grandparents shouldnt have access to grandchildren. You have to have been a parent 1st to earn that privilege. And no you cant always go back. Some things cant be made right . not minus a time machine

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Sorry to hear that. That's a crap deal, to say the least.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

Reed accused of cheating, stealing by several different teammates, and asked to leave by his coach, who backs up the accounts of his shady character. Hated by his teammates at Augusta even as he carries them to national championships.

Where there's smoke there's fire. Not sure why so many rush to defend the guy. There's a lot of great people on tour to root for. Why root for a cheat and a thief, who is universally disliked by almost everyone he's come into contact with? Guy is a jerk. He can play golf and I respect his talent, but not gonna root for him.

And another speculative, hearsay-ridden, BS post.

I dont know if you have kids or not . But be prepared for further hurt or in my case RAGE when you realize all the things that he missed in your life. When you realize how hard the job is and how much he did not do ... How much he chickened out on . and how little you were valued. When you participate in your own kids events and accomplishments it puts it into perspective and the divide becomes x2 or more...... Its a choice some make and its a disgusting one... One i cant imagine making. . The bright side is it will make you a great father.... You now know exactly what not to do. You take that as a challenge and go forward with it . A challenge to break that cycle .

Now i know that Reeds situation isnt this.. so before some smart a** points it out..there i said it already... But it does illustrate that these "absolutes" and idealistic views just dont pan out in the real world... all Grandparents shouldnt have access to grandchildren. You have to have been a parent 1st to earn that privilege. And no you cant always go back. Some things cant be made right . not minus a time machine

I have two daughters. My entire world revolves around them. You're right, being a father myself illustrates precisely how inept my own father was. My goal everyday (it's on my homescreen of my phone) is to ensure, one day at a time, my children never have an idea of what that's like. He passed away before my oldest daughter was born but, there's no way in hell he would have had access to her in any form or fashion! Some things can't be undone.

To your second point, I've met Bill and Jeanette Reed. The picture they paint for the media attention doesn't exactly match reality! That's all I'm comfortable saying on a public forum.

I have two daughters. My entire world revolves around them. You're right, being a father myself illustrates precisely how inept my own father was. My goal everyday (it's on my homescreen of my phone) is to ensure, one day at a time, my children never have an idea of what that's like. He passed away before my oldest daughter was born but, there's no way in hell he would have had access to her in any form or fashion! Some things can't be undone.

To your second point, I've met Bill and Jeanette Reed. The picture they paint for the media attention doesn't exactly match reality! That's all I'm comfortable saying on a public forum.

Amen Brother ! I had no doubt you viewed it the same... almost impossible not to from our perspective ....Lucky Girls you have too.

and the Reeds.... my "stranger danger " alarm went off just looking at their picture....and reading the article it did again.. Theres something there and it isnt that Patrick didnt get a pony for his 9th birthday..lol

anyway.. thanks for the commiseration .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I got to eat dinner with Patrick and his wife. They are very nice people and were very down to earth. No family was brought up other then his mother in law, who he gets along with very well.

There is way more to the story of Patrick and his parents and why they are not on speaking terms.

I cant stand the story at collage about the money and the putter. I work in the criminal justice system and I can tell you right now, if $$ went missing, along with a Circle T putter and someone came in a day later with a "wad" of cash you would be able to find out if he stole it. This is all just people guessing and then running their mouths. I get it, he was a pompous Word not allowed when he was younger, people did not like him one bit, heck even 3 years ago. I am not even really a fan, but I dont dislike him. He has mellowed out and taken his lumps. We all want him playing for the USA in any Cup or Olympics, but give him $hit when he wins The Masters.

He is a good guy, great player and someone who we want on our teams, Give him a brake!!!!

I think its laughable that anyone would think the parents are completely innocent in all this. And honestly, I probably didnt feel that way until after I read the Shipnuck article. The *timing* of the whole thing smelled to me. Drops right after the win - seemed like...something just seems off there. And I dont mean in a good way. But admittedly I am not the Shipnuck fan that some are.

I guess there are people that legitimately believe his parents offered him one sentence, one conversation of marriage advice - and after that he cut them out of his life, absolutely and completely, for no other reasons. "Hey honey we think this girl is too old for you"..."Ok guys thats it, you are out of my life FOREVER"

Nice post DC :) M

Whether it’s wife fault or his parents fault or a big misunderstanding , the man won the Masters. He ground it out on Sunday, without faltering. He’s the man.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I got to eat dinner with Patrick and his wife. They are very nice people and were very down to earth. No family was brought up other then his mother in law, who he gets along with very well.

There is way more to the story of Patrick and his parents and why they are not on speaking terms.

I cant stand the story at collage about the money and the putter. I work in the criminal justice system and I can tell you right now, if $$ went missing, along with a Circle T putter and someone came in a day later with a "wad" of cash you would be able to find out if he stole it. This is all just people guessing and then running their mouths. I get it, he was a pompous Word not allowed when he was younger, people did not like him one bit, heck even 3 years ago. I am not even really a fan, but I dont dislike him. He has mellowed out and taken his lumps. We all want him playing for the USA in any Cup or Olympics, but give him $hit when he wins The Masters.

He is a good guy, great player and someone who we want on our teams, Give him a brake!!!!

So true Glaze regarding the supposed college theft and along with the anonymity that Richard spoke to, as you pointed out, if Patrick had indeed been involved, with the feelings from his teammates that were supposedly present at the time, this would not have remained some “anonymous” rumor carried forth and he would have been nailed to the cross. An investigation was held and absolutely nothing turned up, and no, that putter never ever turned up again. Oh, he sold it for cash??? What, to an anonymous buyer? ;) M

Michael Breed is going off on the media on Sirius. He's completely disgusted with the way Patrick is being portrayed.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Everyone is quick to point out we don't know the entire story about Patrick and his parents could be monsters etc. Nobody seems to address the fact he cut his sister completely out of his life where there's not even the whispers of abuse on her part.

If his mother and father are Toxic and his sister sides with them then I can see why!!!

If you had some cancer on your chest and there was just a little more to the right of it, say a dime size. Would you not cut it all out or just leave that little spot because it is just out of the way and smaller?

So true Glaze regarding the supposed college theft and along with the anonymity that Richard spoke to, as you pointed out, if Patrick had indeed been involved, with the feelings from his teammates that were supposedly present at the time, this would not have remained some "anonymous" rumor carried forth and he would have been nailed to the cross. An investigation was held and absolutely nothing turned up, and no, that putter never ever turned up again. Oh, he sold it for cash??? What, to an anonymous buyer? ;) M

Patrick was an arrogant freshman when he went to a Georgia team full of talented seniors. He kicked the a** often enough to piss them off and I'm sure, let them know he was kicking their asses when he was doing it. But I guarantee he made them all better as a result, thus, making the team better. In my opinion, that's the root of the issue at Georgia.

Jealousy and envy are powerfully motivating factors!

Michael Breed is going off on the media on Sirius. He's completely disgusted with the way Patrick is being portrayed.

I would have to agree, Besides, I would rather see how this movie plays out.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

As he should. This is a ridiculous story and something that is nobody else's business unless Patrick and his wife want to publicly discuss it, which they obviously don't.

Shipnuck should be ashamed of himself. Sure he's doing his job, but there are many stories and leads journalists dont talk about or report - even off the record - because they know its just not right to do. That story shouldnt have even made it to print, and Shipnuck is lucky Reed didnt rebuke him even more than he did. Stories like this should not get reported unless both sides go on the record to talk about it.

Reed accused of cheating, stealing by several different teammates, and asked to leave by his coach, who backs up the accounts of his shady character. Hated by his teammates at Augusta even as he carries them to national championships.

Where there's smoke there's fire. Not sure why so many rush to defend the guy. There's a lot of great people on tour to root for. Why root for a cheat and a thief, who is universally disliked by almost everyone he's come into contact with? Guy is a jerk. He can play golf and I respect his talent, but not gonna root for him.

Im a jerk.

Ergo

I like that he beat the crap out of all

The nice "gentlemen"

And will be eating dinner with Jack and all the other champions next year

While his whiny teammates are watching on TV and eating

Cheetos ; )

Is this some kind of extended haiku? OK, I'll bite:

Patrick Reed beats the field

Green jacket and shiny trophy

Naysayers get bent

Everyone is quick to point out we don't know the entire story about Patrick and his parents could be monsters etc. Nobody seems to address the fact he cut his sister completely out of his life where there's not even the whispers of abuse on her part.

Drama. If she’s under parents Control ( or Side ) she’s a source of drama. Guilt trips everytime you talk get old after a while. Not to mention if she happens to be nuts on top of that.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Never thought I’d love micheal Breed. Wow ! Get that man a pat on the back. It needs to be said. It’s a disgrace.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock