2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Patrick Reed golf.com Story - A Must Read

williamsnrb

A couple of things...

1) 2 years after my mother passed away, my father met a woman that then proceeded to slowly make my father distance himself from his family. He developed brain cancer and long story short, a lot of his estate went to her. I have 3 siblings. So I can relate. If a spouse drives their spouse away from their family, 99% of the time, this is NOT a good thing.

2) I have several contacts on the PGA tour. There are 3 players that are universally disliked: Kevin Na, Rory Sabatini, and at the VERY top of the list... Patrick Reed.

Now on the flip side.... you will not find a single tour player that has ANYTHING negative to say about Jordan and especially Ricky.

I was pulling for everyone else. To the very last putt.

Nobody is going to badmouth two of the biggest draws in the sport and potentially derail the gravy train.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shipnuck is a ghoul btw. Never forget that he is the guy who attempted to cash in on Tiger's scandal by imagining what happened behind closed doors and publishing it as a book.

Wow ! I forgot that he was that guy. All the more reason to doubt the motovatiIn behind the piece.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

A couple of things...

1) 2 years after my mother passed away, my father met a woman that then proceeded to slowly make my father distance himself from his family. He developed brain cancer and long story short, a lot of his estate went to her. I have 3 siblings. So I can relate. If a spouse drives their spouse away from their family, 99% of the time, this is NOT a good thing.

2) I have several contacts on the PGA tour. There are 3 players that are universally disliked: Kevin Na, Rory Sabatini, and at the VERY top of the list... Patrick Reed.

Now on the flip side.... you will not find a single tour player that has ANYTHING negative to say about Jordan and especially Ricky.

Same thing here, for both my Dad and my wife's Dad. Both got remarried after their wives died, in my case, she took probably half of my Dad's estate, this would have greatly pained my mother. In my wife's case, she was clearly a gold-digger, and he didn't even have much to dig, just lived frugally and had a house that was paid for, but she sure did try to alienate him from the family. And add a bit of dementia thrown in, and it was toxic to family relationships.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Since Patrick has been on Tour, there have been no allegations of cheating, he no longer drinks excessively, no allegations of stealing.... perhaps he's grown up and changed his behavior. How long is he going to be crucified for stuff he did before he was 21? At some point we all need to recognize the person that he is and has become.

Apparently, something happened between him and his parents that he can't abide by. They say they were just counseling him that he was young and should wait. I'll bet his side of the story is that they said something about his "wife to be" that was so offensive that he no longer wants anything to do with them. None of our business really. He's found a happy place outside of golf and he's figured out things on the golf course. Tiger is idolized and look at the things he did to his wife and family as a 30 year old. Patrick is demonized for things he did when he was a kid.

Agree 100%. Two sides to every story. I don’t think the parents are as squeaky clean in this situation as they claim.

He seems to be doing very well with the support of his wife and her family including her brother who just helped him win a major with good caddying advice on the course.

A couple of things...

Nobody is going to badmouth two of the biggest draws in the sport and potentially derail the gravy train.

Not so fast, people weren’t exactly slow on criticizing JT after throwing the fan out.

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

A couple of things...

Bingo. I have the same ties. And I’ve asked as recently as yesterday. No bad words for Reed. Na. Maybe. Lol. Sabbatini. Hell yes. But Reed is respected for his play. And yes. Taking down Jordan or Rickie would land you in hotter water than talking dow me Palmer probably. Who commits that suicide ?

A couple of things...

Not so fast, people weren’t exactly slow on criticizing JT after throwing the fan out.

Plenty of people hate JT. He certainly has a punch able face.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

A couple of things...

I must have missed when EA Sports released Justin Thomas PGA Tour 2018 (Rory) and has the entire golf division of a major athletic corporation dedicated to himself (Puma/Rickie). Hardly anyone that doesn't follow golf knows who JT is, while Rory and Rickie are household names.

Taylormade TP5

If a spouse drives their spouse away from their family, 99% of the time, this is NOT a good thing.

I think this really sums up what some of us are trying to say. Sure we dont have all the information, maybe this is the 1% case, but the vast majority of the time you see this happen it's absolutely tragic. Everyone involved is worse off.

If a spouse drives their spouse away from their family, 99% of the time, this is NOT a good thing.
I think this really sums up what some of us are trying to say. Sure we dont have all the information, maybe this is the 1% case, but the vast majority of the time you see this happen it's absolutely tragic. Everyone involved is worse off.

You are making the assumption that she is the reason they don't speak. I have no doubt that is part of the equation but I don't see it being the only reason they had a falling out.

I will add that maybe I'm overly sympathetic as I am married to someone who has no relationship with one of her parents and in turn means my son has a grandparent he has never met. Things happen in life and many times in these situations it isn't one thing that caused it but years of issues that ultimately end in people going separate ways. I have a few friends who also have similar scenarios.

Most are basing their opinion on a very small portion of the story from one party involved. For me I'm just glad that Patrick has built a life he is happy with.

You are making the assumption that she is the reason they don't speak.

You're right. I'm assuming because I've seen it happen a few times in real life. And this situation looks very similar from the outside. One telling clue is that Patrick has also removed his little sister from his life. What exactly did his sister who's 7 years younger do to him that would warrant such behavior?

A couple of things...

I must have missed when EA Sports released Justin Thomas PGA Tour 2018 (Rory) and has the entire golf division of a major athletic corporation dedicated to himself (Puma/Rickie). Hardly anyone that doesn't follow golf knows who JT is, while Rory and Rickie are household names.

Fair, but frankly have either of those two done anything to warrant criticism, I know some don’t like Spieth talking to the ball but honestly I can’t find any quarrels with Rickie.

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

I will add that maybe I'm overly sympathetic as I am married to someone who has no relationship with one of her parents and in turn means my son has a grandparent he has never met. Things happen in life and many times in these situations it isn't one thing that caused it but years of issues that ultimately end in people going separate ways. I have a few friends who also have similar scenarios.

Most are basing their opinion on a very small portion of the story from one party involved. For me I'm just glad that Patrick has built a life he is happy with.

Yes, I hesitate to judge who is "right or wrong" here. I'm imagine there is blame on both sides and these feuds can snowball out of control.

Meantime,

GettyImages-943504606_11313561_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Fair, but frankly have either of those two done anything to warrant criticism, I know some don’t like Spieth talking to the ball but honestly I can’t find any quarrels with Rickie.

People (not necessarily fellow tour pros) were shi**** all over him for being too concerned with fashion and not enough with winning.

Taylormade TP5

We should all lay out all of our dirty laundry on the table and that way we can fairly judge someone else through a third hand story and past mistakes.

If you started a thread on this board that you truly thought was meritorious, but which tended to air out a lot of dirty laundry about me, and which I thought was fundamentally wrong, I'd want to tell that story -- my story -- right here, and right away.

Sounds like the wife, and her family, are controlling to the point of isolation from anyone else that could influence Patrick including his own family. When I've seen her at golf tournaments she carries herself differently from other tour wives and comes across as odd. I saw her yell at someone for talking during Patrick's swing when in fact he was over 100 yards away - thought it was very odd at the time. It's really too bad he can't share this great victory with his own family. Odd story.

It's sad really that the guys personal life has to be brought up just to make people feel better about themselves

Who feels better about themselves over this? The whole story makes me sad. The thought of one of my sons cutting me off from the grandchildren (for no stated reason) makes me feel physically ill.

+1

My interest lies mostly in wondering what would cause him to cut off his family. It makes me feel better about myself in absolutely no way. I'm not even sure what you're talking about. It's a sad deal, honestly.

Lol. Way to take one line out of a whole paragraph. I'm saying that it makes people feel better finding a reason to dislike them other than just disliking him. Read the whole paragraph

Titleist 907 D2 w/ V2 67
TM RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
Mizuno MP63 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Tour Fill 2 Ball
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1120495-commerce-tigers-odd-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

We should all lay out all of our dirty laundry on the table and that way we can fairly judge someone else through a third hand story and past mistakes.

If you started a thread on this board that you truly thought was meritorious, but which tended to air out a lot of dirty laundry about me, and which I thought was fundamentally wrong, I'd want to tell that story -- my story -- right here, and right away.

That's because you care about what people you've never met nor will probably ever meet think about you. The people who accept who they are and live their lives don't worry about the cackling of gossiping hens.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

Sounds like the wife, and her family, are controlling to the point of isolation from anyone else that could influence Patrick including his own family. When I've seen her at golf tournaments she carries herself differently from other tour wives and comes across as odd. I saw her yell at someone for talking during Patrick's swing when in fact he was over 100 yards away - thought it was very odd at the time. It's really too bad he can't share this great victory with his own family. Odd story.

It’s not can’t. It’s doesnt want to.

Really odd to me that nobody here can see how odd this is. But from the kids perspective. Most people say they know someone like this. But only ones I’ve ever know involved drugs and a bad crowd. It’s never been “ hey let me control you with my loving family “ Sign me up for that type abuse.

Reeds parents strike me as the type who are “ reaching out “. Reaching out for Patrick to apologize to them. And he knows that. Which is exactly why he doesn’t want contact.

It goes against nature for a child to abandon their parents out of the blue for no good reason. There’s a reason. And it really isn’t our business.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My best friend just married a woman who's extremely controlling and he's become very distance from his family and friends. So I can't help but think this is the same thing.

Two cases in my town. Both were instigated by the wives. Both wives strong willed, the parents were good people.

It sad for everybody involved even if the wives never admit it. Bitterness is deadly. Life is too short to hold to past hurts.

One last thing if my son came home with a woman 4 years older than him, I’d voice concern as well. That doesn’t mean he would be wrong but just as a loving parent.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Since Patrick has been on Tour, there have been no allegations of cheating, he no longer drinks excessively, no allegations of stealing.... perhaps he's grown up and changed his behavior. How long is he going to be crucified for stuff he did before he was 21? At some point we all need to recognize the person that he is and has become.

Apparently, something happened between him and his parents that he can't abide by. They say they were just counseling him that he was young and should wait. I'll bet his side of the story is that they said something about his "wife to be" that was so offensive that he no longer wants anything to do with them. None of our business really. He's found a happy place outside of golf and he's figured out things on the golf course. Tiger is idolized and look at the things he did to his wife and family as a 30 year old. Patrick is demonized for things he did when he was a kid.

Great points! I wish I knew the rest of the story, though. Where's Paul Harvey when you need him?

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

It goes against nature for a child to abandon their parents out of the blue for no good reason. There's a reason. And it really isn't our business.

And there seems to be zero evidence that his wife's parents are "controlling" or "brainwashing" him. Its a massive, irresposible leap to make just because he's estranged from his family and close to hers. Because this looks like something that looks like something someone saw before? OK.

Has a "brainwashing" like that ever happened to a guy who is generally regarded as the biggest mental bulldog on tour - Monday qual'd like 6 times in one year, 4 in a row, made multiple cuts with no status etc - has performed at the highest of high levels and generally doesnt seem at all like someone who struggles with his "mental game"?

This obviously happens and has happened before but I've never seen a case with someone like PR involved, no.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I don't think the family thing makes people not like Reed. I think it just makes us more curious about him.

Even if you take that out of it entirely, you still have plenty of smoke around the guy:

- Using a gay slur after missing a putt (which, amusingly, he actually used to describe himself)

- A 2015 ESPN poll of PGA Tour players revealed that he was the 2nd most disliked player by his fellow tour pros (Bubba was #1)

- His "top 5" comment and general brashness

- The stealing and cheating stuff in college

Now, do I hate the guy? No. I was cheering for Fowler, but that's because I really like Fowler and would love to see him finally break through after so many close calls. My point with this post is to highlight the fact that there are plenty of reasons why Reed is not hugely popular with fans. The family thing is more of a "who the heck knows" sort of thing.

The story is one-sided because only one side is telling the story. Shipnuck attempted to get something from the other side at the press conference but got nothing. So he really only has one side to tell.

Now that being said, the post-round press conference is not the time and place for a journalist to dig for that kind of stuff. I think it would be great if Shipnuck or someone else did indeed get a sit-down 1-on-1 interview with Patrick and have Patrick open up about it and tell his side of the story. Shipnuck made it clear in the article that Reed has denied all such requests in the past. I think a lot of golf fans would be interested in knowing more about his life. As sports fans, we have an interest in who those athletes are as people and like to read about their life off the course/field/arena. It adds further interest and intrigue to the competition when we know them more on a human level and not just as anonymous robots. Now, if Patrick doesn't want to talk about it, that is perfectly A-OK. And actually, I say good for him for taking the high road and keeping it under wraps. Making public comments would probably just do more harm than good. Maybe one day he'll be comfortable enough talking about it, maybe not.

In fairness, it doesn't seem like Patrick's family has really talked about it at length either. They allowed Shipnuck to attend their Masters party, but it's not like the article is full of quotes from the parents telling their side of things. In fact, the only quotes from his mom are positive ones --- "proud of him," "surreal that he's a Masters champion," etc. It seems like they too are for the most part taking the high road. The lone exception was his sister's social media post, which came as a response to social media posts made by Justine. (Don't you just love social media drama?)

Because the family doesn't have any contact with Patrick, it's possible that the family is attempting to connect with Patrick through the media. It's possible that the reason they invited Shipnuck to the house and agreed to the story is that they hoped Patrick might read it and see that they are in fact cheering for him and supporting him still. Just a thought. My hunch is that Patrick probably doesn't pay much attention to what's written about him but you never know.

It could be a case where Patrick is in the wrong. It could just as well be a case where Patrick is a victim of a controlling wife. And it could also be a case where Patrick's parents were in the wrong. We only know the tip of the iceberg. And chances are, that's all we'll ever know.

Really well put. This post would have gone well in the original article!

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

It's not can't. It's doesnt want to.

Really odd to me that nobody here can see how odd this is. But from the kids perspective. Most people say they know someone like this. But only ones I've ever know involved drugs and a bad crowd. It's never been " hey let me control you with my loving family " Sign me up for that type abuse.

Reeds parents strike me as the type who are " reaching out ". Reaching out for Patrick to apologize to them. And he knows that. Which is exactly why he doesn't want contact.

It goes against nature for a child to abandon their parents out of the blue for no good reason. There's a reason. And it really isn't our business.

You dont try and "reach out" in a magazine article. Or by making an unexpected/unannounced appearance along the ropes at the US Open. Or, even as the article says, through "intermediaries".

Controlling behavior can work both ways. I know more than a few parents who are controlling to the point where children just cant break away from them, even when they get to be adults. But they dont control in a dominating sort of way...they control through emotions. Like making the child feel guilty. Or responsible for something bad happening to them. Or by making them break off personal relationships from other people, and not just people from the opposite sex.

Like I said in another thread, sometimes the best (and hardest) thing a parent can do is letting their child go. Because in the end, most children dont want to be like their parents. They'll have their own interests, own thoughts and feelings, and want to make their own way. Reminds me of a line in The Breakfast Club: "Everybody's home life is unsatisfying...if it wasnt, people would live with their parents forever." Its often why family conflicts are usually the worst and toughest type of conflicts to work out.

Who knows what is truly at the root of the issues here. But if Patrick's parents want to reconcile in good faith, it sounds like they need to start doing it directly. And they may have to wait until Patrick is ready. Because whatever happened, it appears it was very hurtful to the point where an apology doesnt matter.

And there seems to be zero evidence that his wife's parents are "controlling" or "brainwashing" him. Its a massive, irresposible leap to make just because he's estranged from his family and close to hers. Because this looks like something that looks like something someone saw before? OK.

Has a "brainwashing" like that ever happened to a guy who is generally regarded as the biggest mental bulldog on tour - Monday qual'd like 6 times in one year, 4 in a row, made multiple cuts with no status etc - has performed at the highest of high levels and generally doesnt seem at all like someone who struggles with his "mental game"?

This obviously happens and has happened before but I've never seen a case with someone like PR involved, no.

If his wife's family is brainwashing him, it seems to be working very well for his career!