Patrick Reed golf.com Story - A Must Read

williamsnrb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could add something....OP doesn't have the troll posting history, or even a negative one at all that I can remember, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on starting this thread.

But that's just me.

Thanks, Vindog! I think this has been a very insightful thread. It has been for me, at least. I don't mean to troll in the least. I genuinely want to know what led to the family discord and where this story goes from here.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

The family fracture is unfortunate but, having lived thru a version or two of the same kind of dynamics in my family, I understand how these things happen.

None of it changes my opinion of Reed, I have always thought he was a fine player, have enjoyed watching him play, admire his fiery attitude and lone wolf personality which I understand and appreciate.

I was rooting for Reed from the first day on at Augusta, am very please he won, despite his winning over two other players, Jordan and Ricky, that I normally would support in any match.

This was Reed's moment and his history and personality do not and should not take away from what he has accomplished.

More power to him--let's play on having this hurdle jumped, I'm anxious to see where Reed goes from here.

I heard Shipnuck's ridiculous question at the post Masters press conference. What a shoddy piece of ambush journalism. Shipnuck doesn't want to write about Patrick's win, he just wants to dig up some dirt on his personal life and try to spoil one of the happiest days of Patrick's life. What a shameful piece of writing.

I heard Shipnuck's ridiculous question at the post Masters press conference. What a shoddy piece of ambush journalism. Shipnuck doesn't want to write about Patrick's win, he just wants to dig up some dirt on his personal life and try to spoil one of the happiest days of Patrick's life. What a shameful piece of writing.

Honestly, I probably would have just walked out of the press conference after that. Golf has turned into the NFL where it's all gossip reporting.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

Sounds like the wife, and her family, are controlling to the point of isolation from anyone else that could influence Patrick including his own family. When I've seen her at golf tournaments she carries herself differently from other tour wives and comes across as odd. I saw her yell at someone for talking during Patrick's swing when in fact he was over 100 yards away - thought it was very odd at the time. It's really too bad he can't share this great victory with his own family. Odd story.

It's not can't. It's doesnt want to.

Really odd to me that nobody here can see how odd this is. But from the kids perspective. Most people say they know someone like this. But only ones I've ever know involved drugs and a bad crowd. It's never been " hey let me control you with my loving family " Sign me up for that type abuse.

Reeds parents strike me as the type who are " reaching out ". Reaching out for Patrick to apologize to them. And he knows that. Which is exactly why he doesn't want contact.

It goes against nature for a child to abandon their parents out of the blue for no good reason. There's a reason. And it really isn't our business.

You dont try and "reach out" in a magazine article. Or by making an unexpected/unannounced appearance along the ropes at the US Open. Or, even as the article says, through "intermediaries".

Controlling behavior can work both ways. I know more than a few parents who are controlling to the point where children just cant break away from them, even when they get to be adults. But they dont control in a dominating sort of way...they control through emotions. Like making the child feel guilty. Or responsible for something bad happening to them. Or by making them break off personal relationships from other people, and not just people from the opposite sex.

Like I said in another thread, sometimes the best (and hardest) thing a parent can do is letting their child go. Because in the end, most children dont want to be like their parents. They'll have their own interests, own thoughts and feelings, and want to make their own way. Reminds me of a line in The Breakfast Club: "Everybody's home life is unsatisfying...if it wasnt, people would live with their parents forever." Its often why family conflicts are usually the worst and toughest type of conflicts to work out.

Who knows what is truly at the root of the issues here. But if Patrick's parents want to reconcile in good faith, it sounds like they need to start doing it directly. And they may have to wait until Patrick is ready. Because whatever happened, it appears it was very hurtful to the point where an apology doesnt matter.

Absolutely agree. 10000%.

Oddly enough I’ve experienced both kinds. And the mental control through guilt and /or my favorite. The financial end. Like when your in laws say “ we want to give you guys a big wedding. “ and then proceed to try to make each and every decision along the way. To the point that your wife wants to elope.

Or the all time best. You get a call and they say “ so and so has passed away. And her daughter has come to us aboot buying the right of way between your property and the road. You need to buy that now so that nobody else gets it “. ( the lady who died was their longtime neighbor ) I go to the bank. Secure a personal note for the whole amount and cal father in law back. He then tells me “ I’m not sure what’s happening now. I’ll get back to you “. Weeks go by and I find out he bought it out from under me .. why? A bargaining chip. He owns the 2 acres in front of my house that contains my right of way to the highway. For no other reason than because he’s an a**. I whispered this to myself when he did that. “ god willing I’ll live long enough to see your headstone and this wrong will be right “.

People don’t realize the lengths some “ parents “ go to Control. And that story is from the good side of the family.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Who is going to write the piece about his wife's family...? Now that would be some interesting family dynamics.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

Truth or not so, nobody really knows. Authors that write articles like that make me sick, they are so wrong.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Shipnuck goes off the rails a bit in the first paragraph causing me to suspect an agenda. The piece suggests the Reed's are something of a blue-collar family with their "tidy little two-story house". They live in a 400k house in an area where the median home value is less than 125k. In my opinion, it's a blatant attempt to mislead the reader or take the reader to a desired conclusion. At the very least, I can't trust the remainder of the piece in terms of authenticity or accuracy.

Seems like more click-bait from fledgling print media outlets struggling to stay in business. "Journalism" of the 21st century!

I can have some understanding of PR distancing himself from his parents if it was a Todd Marinovich-Sean O'Hair scenario. Throwing your little sister away, no excuse. As an aside to Blade, my FIL does not consider his children's spouses to be "family". When we get together, he calls a family meeting, and the spouses are excluded.

I have to agree with this. Shipnuck has a little too much Dan Jenkins in him (and not in the good way ...). If you aren't a player he "likes" or that he thinks is "deserving", he'll find some way to belittle your accomplishments.

I still can't believe a "golf journalist" would write that story after the unbelievable on-course action yesterday, especially considering that there was nothing new in the piece that he wrote. And for full disclosure, I am NOT a Patrick Reed fan. I desperately wanted Rickie or Jordan to find a way to win it. Even though I don't particularly like Reed, he clearly deserved the win.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I listened to a recent podcast with Shipnuck and he came across as.. well, not so good. Basically telling stories about how he snuck into the after Masters families only party for the winner when he tricked Bubba's "not so bright" trainer into letting him in. Also, bad mouthing Augusta National the entire time. He'd be better writing for TMZ. He's a hack.

I tried to find a transcript of the question posed by Shipnuck. Does anybody have it? A link? Was it outside the clubhouse? It wasn't the indoor press conference was it? I could not locate it on the Golf Channel podcast.

My understanding is that Shipnuck simply asked if perhaps Patrick felt that it was a bittersweet occasion since his (birth) family wasn't a part of the occasion. And that was it. Was there more?

I can have some understanding of PR distancing himself from his parents if it was a Todd Marinovich-Sean O'Hair scenario. Throwing your little sister away, no excuse. As an aside to Blade, my FIL does not consider his children's spouses to be "family". When we get together, he calls a family meeting, and the spouses are excluded.

Wow. Yep. I know that guy. Luckily I have a wife who isn’t a daddy’s girl. And naturally. Not any pushing from me. And ironically. He’s now dependent on her ( and me) to maintain his checking account , fill prescriptions , etc as he was one of those kept husbands who had a wife that waited on him hand and foot.

So we take the high road. Try to forget the past ( it can’t be done ) and do the right thing. Make sure he stays on track financially and physically. He still lives at home so we don’t control him. He willingly asks us to help. Just pitiful to see what could be golden years of visits etc turn into a scheduled financial / meds meeting once a week. But he made that bed. No way to turn back time.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I was really rooting for Reed as we all make mistakes. I won a tourney in college and greased my driver every round. Lost a little distance but the course was tight and I hit way more fairways than normal. Just put a little dab on the corner or your towel and act like your are cleaning you club. It is very easy.

Lol very first post on this site and it's about cheating his way to a win. What an entrance!

I said this on another thread on here but it bears worth repeating.

If the people on here judging and hating on Patrick Reed this much for his past, they better damn well hate on Tiger in the same fashion. Tiger broke his family up, with kids in the mix as well, for chasing a lot of tail on the side. Can't pick and choose when and with whom you will have a moral compass to, has to be universal.

Meh great golfer.... Idc about his personal life I just want to see him golf.... Its like being a Cowboys fan, I am so used to the BS and im like who gives a flying F, I just wanna see them play football. What they do with the spare time is whatever to me.

You just described America, unfortunately.

Shipnuck is the Jim Gray of golf.

I think he's the reason golf.com did away with their comment section. For years readers would trash him on there on the weekly confidential article.

I listened to a recent podcast with Shipnuck and he came across as.. well, not so good. Basically telling stories about how he snuck into the after Masters families only party for the winner when he tricked Bubba's "not so bright" trainer into letting him in. Also, bad mouthing Augusta National the entire time. He'd be better writing for TMZ. He's a hack.

This is short sided. Alan is a good journalist, and he finds ways to get the story. It might make you uncomfortable, but that's why he's good at it. Being a good journalist is a lot more than just writing well. Reed's life outside of golf is part of what makes him interesting. Finding out why he thinks the way he does is fascinating. Tiger is the same way. How many endless threads/articles/videos/etc about Tiger and Earl?

I was really rooting for Reed as we all make mistakes. I won a tourney in college and greased my driver every round. Lost a little distance but the course was tight and I hit way more fairways than normal. Just put a little dab on the corner or your towel and act like your are cleaning you club. It is very easy.

Lol very first post on this site and it's about cheating his way to a win. What an entrance!

He needs to change his username to "Bad Hair"! "He uses the grease, Spec"

God, I love Dead Solid Perfect!

It's funny. The whole conversation concerning Reed's past seems like an attempt to find something bad, so that people can feel ok about their dislike for the guy.

There has to be something in his history or behavior that makes our distaste reasonable, some act that justifies our feelings of distaste, right? Because hell, we're all accepting people, therefore it has to be something more than his appearance and demeanor.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I said this on another thread on here but it bears worth repeating.

If the people on here judging and hating on Patrick Reed this much for his past, they better damn well hate on Tiger in the same fashion. Tiger broke his family up, with kids in the mix as well, for chasing a lot of tail on the side. Can't Shouldn't pick and choose when and with whom you will have a moral compass to, has to should be universal.

We all know right from wrong, we just can't force people to make the right choices. That's why you get these clowns writing disparaging things about other people that they've never even met. And for absolutely no reason other than they don't like his necklace or he is chubby, or whatever other bs they find comfort in using as validation.

It's funny. The whole conversation concerning Reed's past seems like an attempt to find something bad, so that people can feel ok about their dislike for the guy.

Bingo.

A lot of the rest of this is simply because Rickie or Jordan or Rory or Tiger or Phil didnt win.

The telecast was quite amazing, actually. Faldo lost all interest when it became clear after 5 that Rory wasnt winning. Then he and Nantz awoke from their slumber when Spieth birdied 9 to get to -10, and they were all but openly rooting for the guy. Then after Spieth bogeyed 18 to lose all hope they pinned all of the interest on Fowler for the final 5 holes. Meanwhile, Reed just went about his business despite at no time looking like he wasnt going to win.

The disappointment of many fans yesterday and today has little to do with Reed, and more to do with the fact that one of the "fan favorites" didnt win.

Bingo.

A lot of the rest of this is simply because Rickie or Jordan or Rory or Tiger or Phil didnt win.

The telecast was quite amazing, actually. Faldo lost all interest when it became clear after 5 that Rory wasnt winning. Then he and Nantz awoke from their slumber when Spieth birdied 9 to get to -10, and they were all but openly rooting for the guy. Then after Spieth bogeyed 18 to lose all hope they pinned all of the interest on Fowler for the final 5 holes. Meanwhile, Reed just went about his business despite at no time looking like he wasnt going to win.

The disappointment of many fans yesterday and today has little to do with Reed, and more to do with the fact that one of the "fan favorites" didnt win.

I'm just glad it wasn't a boring match play situation. Reed and McIlroy both allowed the rest of the field to make a charge and it was entertaining stuff. Reed outplayed everyone for the tournament and is a very deserving winner. This was a great tournament overall:

Round 1 - Spieth's incredible back nine to finish -6.

Round 2 - Spieth's front nine meltdown and then Reed/Leishman lighting up the place in the afternoon.

Round 3 - Fowler/McIlroy/Fleetwood/Reed/Rahm lighting up the place. Reed's two eagles on the back nine.

Round 4 - Spieth/Fowler/Rahm charges. Rory's stumble. Reed's toughness and bounce-back birdies.

Has anybody here really denounced Patrick Reed in this story? I don't think Alan Shipnuck did. (What words did Shipnuck use, if that is what you think?)

Almost universally, no one has denounced Reed for a couple of college drinking incidents. I have seen almost nobody -- certainly nobody here -- flatly declare that Reed is a cheater because he was a cheater in college, blah, blah blah.

What I see are a whole lot of people thinking that indeed this is a very complicated story. That there are a lot of questions, and some dubious behavior, and none of us can be sure what is what.

For my part, I haven't judged Reed or anyone else in his family. His families. I'd like to hear Reed's story, whatever it might be.