2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2 Roads for Patrick Reed

2over

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, ONE road he'll take every year for the rest of his career is Magnolia Lane.......The other one doesn't matter!

Well, ONE road he'll take every year for the rest of his career is Magnolia Lane.......The other one doesn't matter!

Good point. While folks are whining about him, he will be enjoying the champions dinner and 2-4 rounds at Augusta for life.

And given that there are like 5 Reed threads stacked on top of Tour Talk.

Looks like Reed is the new

giphy.gif

This might have been the first masters that I did not watch the ceremony. And that is usually the best part of the tournament. To make things worse, when I saw bubba there congratulating him at the end, I had to just shut it off. Patrick deserved the win the way he played but for all of the reasons above, I don't think I can ever be a fan of his.

Were you a fan of Joe Paterno?

I would say it's the history of cheating, treating others shabbily, and the unapologetic brashness/denial about it all which makes most people dislike Patrick Reed and had the fans at Augusta cheering against him, and giving the lamest golf clap for his disappointing win at the end. But those aren't the only things. Reed's win was highly disappointing for most of the sports world because golf thrives when there are talented, charismatic, appealing characters at the top of the heap. Tiger and Phil may well be jerks off-screen (only the small circle of their friends and family really knows that), but in front of the camera, they bring charisma and style and a ton of talent that makes watching them fun--plus they've always played the game with integrity. Reed brings a fairly well-documented history of cheating, obnoxiousness, and tone-deafness as to how he sounds to the table. Also, most of us want to see guys who can hit shots mere mortals like us simply cannot hit. Rory brings that, as do DJ, J. Day, Tiger, Phil, Jack, Freddie, et. al. Hogan-esque Grinders like Zach Johnson (and Spieth falls in this category to an extent, though his putting is pretty spectacular at times) can be fun to watch, but only if they bring a ton of integrity, grit, fortitude, multiple major wins, and good sportsmanship to the table (which I think Zach Johnson and Spieth most certainly do--I'm a fan of those guys and think both are great for golf). Reed, however is a grinder who also often acts like a jerk, seemingly neither honest nor likable, with an ugly swing to boot (the club pointing at the sky finish annoys) and when a guy like that wins a major, it just makes you hang your head and go, "Oh. Darn." for all the reasons cited above.

While we're at it, does Reed not have the time/money to hire a trainer and get himself in shape? I know golf is really a game not a sport, but we appreciate it when the stars help us maintain the sporting illusion. Because if golf is a sport and we play it, therefore we are athletes! Rory got in killer-shape, and has been much more popular for the effort (golf is show business, after all). Beef Johnson and Shane Lowry pull off the bubba-beer-league look magnificently (I'm a big fan of both) because they're appealing characters with charm, nice combo of modesty+swagger, a gracious appreciation for the life they've been fortunate to live, lovely golf swings, and most of all an attitude of "I'll give you my best game, play fair and square, and look you in the eye and shake your hand and say "Well done" (and mean it!) if you beat me". They are good 'ol boys made good and that works too. Reed has none of those things (did I mention how tough his swing is to watch?).

I see two ways (I'm sure there are more) that Patrick Reed could go that would flip a disappointing script: 1) hit the gym, get thoroughly jacked, and throw yourself 100% into the villain, bad guy role. 2) Confess your sins, make amends, reconcile as best you can with the people you've harmed by your selfish behavior, and change your tone and way of treating people. That's a far tougher switch to flip than #1, but I suspect Zach Johnson could probably get Reed into the tour bible study, which would be a great start down road #2.

Either option would work best though if maybe Reed could find Butch Harmon's number and start working with him, too?

I hope Reed will choose option 2, otherwise we'll continue the one clap cheer for his accomplishments which probably will be few and far between in the future anyway.

Wow...I thought I was being tough. This, this is...really entertaining to read

worst take ever?

probably.

8.5 g400 lst atmos black 6s (set at 9.2)
16 cally 816 rombax 7w06s (set at 15n)
19 adams xtd atmos blue 8s

4 tm790 modus3 130s

6-8 tm760 modus3 130s

9-p mp20 modus3 130s
50, 54 cobra mim modus3 130s
58 14K sm9 modus 125s

61 scratch sti lbe dg spinner + 
hex t bb0 or spider x chalk

Go watch tennis if you want to watch sweethearts buddy. PReed came to win. Nothing but respect for the guy. I hope the whole ordeal with his family gets resolved, its unfair for people to keep commenting on it, it's not my business and I think he deserves his space. Congrats to Captain America, hopefully the first of many

"Tiger and Phil may well be jerks off-screen (only the small circle of their friends and family really knows that" -OP

BRO... Tiger screwed around on his wife and mother of his 2 children for years. That makes you eligible for the jerk hall-of-fame, and not "only his small circle of their friends and family" know about this.

I don't love Reed but will admit the following:

I am chubbier than him

My swing isn't as good as his

He's a pretty awesome player under the gun

Fantastic putter

I'm sure the 'Murica guys will love him when he does his match play thing at the RC in Paris

His 2 putt on 17 needs more props

He did get lucky that when he was struggling early McIlroy decided to take the day off

There have been worse major champions IIRC

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I was gonna say, or road number 3, where he tells you to your face to GFY and continues to do him. I doubt he'd get through reading the first few words of your advice before doing so.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

I would say it's the history of cheating, treating others shabbily, and the unapologetic brashness/denial about it all which makes most people dislike Patrick Reed and had the fans at Augusta cheering against him, and giving the lamest golf clap for his disappointing win at the end. But those aren't the only things. Reed's win was highly disappointing for most of the sports world because golf thrives when there are talented, charismatic, appealing characters at the top of the heap. Tiger and Phil may well be jerks off-screen (only the small circle of their friends and family really knows that), but in front of the camera, they bring charisma and style and a ton of talent that makes watching them fun--plus they've always played the game with integrity. Reed brings a fairly well-documented history of cheating, obnoxiousness, and tone-deafness as to how he sounds to the table. Also, most of us want to see guys who can hit shots mere mortals like us simply cannot hit. Rory brings that, as do DJ, J. Day, Tiger, Phil, Jack, Freddie, et. al. Hogan-esque Grinders like Zach Johnson (and Spieth falls in this category to an extent, though his putting is pretty spectacular at times) can be fun to watch, but only if they bring a ton of integrity, grit, fortitude, multiple major wins, and good sportsmanship to the table (which I think Zach Johnson and Spieth most certainly do--I'm a fan of those guys and think both are great for golf). Reed, however is a grinder who also often acts like a jerk, seemingly neither honest nor likable, with an ugly swing to boot (the club pointing at the sky finish annoys) and when a guy like that wins a major, it just makes you hang your head and go, "Oh. Darn." for all the reasons cited above.

While we're at it, does Reed not have the time/money to hire a trainer and get himself in shape? I know golf is really a game not a sport, but we appreciate it when the stars help us maintain the sporting illusion. Because if golf is a sport and we play it, therefore we are athletes! Rory got in killer-shape, and has been much more popular for the effort (golf is show business, after all). Beef Johnson and Shane Lowry pull off the bubba-beer-league look magnificently (I'm a big fan of both) because they're appealing characters with charm, nice combo of modesty+swagger, a gracious appreciation for the life they've been fortunate to live, lovely golf swings, and most of all an attitude of "I'll give you my best game, play fair and square, and look you in the eye and shake your hand and say "Well done" (and mean it!) if you beat me". They are good 'ol boys made good and that works too. Reed has none of those things (did I mention how tough his swing is to watch?).

I see two ways (I'm sure there are more) that Patrick Reed could go that would flip a disappointing script: 1) hit the gym, get thoroughly jacked, and throw yourself 100% into the villain, bad guy role. 2) Confess your sins, make amends, reconcile as best you can with the people you've harmed by your selfish behavior, and change your tone and way of treating people. That's a far tougher switch to flip than #1, but I suspect Zach Johnson could probably get Reed into the tour bible study, which would be a great start down road #2.

Either option would work best though if maybe Reed could find Butch Harmon's number and start working with him, too?

I hope Reed will choose option 2, otherwise we'll continue the one clap cheer for his accomplishments which probably will be few and far between in the future anyway.

Saying (or even thinking) Reed and Spieth are grinders who can't play shots mortals can't play tells us all we need to know about the credibility of this post.

Unless you're engaging in sex with him, I don't think you should care much how fat and slim the guy is, but hey, to each his own

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

1. It is horrible if Mr. Reed did what he did in college.

2. It is more horrible that the media brings all this stuff up when he wins the Masters. How much of this stuff was written about during the Ryder and President's Cups? Does anyone think this kind of public flogging will do anything but make things worse for him and his family?

3. It is awful to see him estranged from his parents and family, but we do not know why nor is it our business.

4, I hope and pray that he and his wife can make peace with his family, especially for the sake of their children.

5. He followed the rules and won the event, that's all that should matter to us today.

Reed's win was highly disappointing for most of the sports world because golf thrives when there are talented, charismatic, appealing characters at the top of the heap. Tiger and Phil may well be jerks off-screen (only the small circle of their friends and family really knows that), but in front of the camera, they bring charisma and style and a ton of talent that makes watching them fun--plus they've always played the game with integrity.

Some people just have the hardest time letting go of their heroes.

There are a lot...A LOT of athletes with questionable character to the say the very least, but we look past them because of what they can do. Reed was alleged to have cheated. Have there been any allegations of him cheating on tour? Q-school? Monday qualifiers? This thread is like watching a show on the WB meant for a 12 year old girl.

And FWIW, who cares about his weight? Get over yourself.