Removing your hat at end of round

Taking off your hat is a simple traditional courtesy, although as in general life, these are slowly disappearing. I always do it, but take no offence at anybody that doesn't.

I see someone who said this only caught on in 1999. Not so, has been a part of golf in the UK and Ireland long before that.

• Thanks 1

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 11:19 AM, mjtoal said:

Taking off your hat is a simple traditional courtesy, although as in general life, these are slowly disappearing. I always do it, but take no offence at anybody that doesn't.

I see someone who said this only caught on in 1999. Not so, has been a part of golf in the UK and Ireland long before that.

Agree.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. coffee.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

A few years ago I'd have said half the people I played with would take their hat off on the 18th hole before shaking hands. Now it's maybe one person in ten.

Interestingly, on the rare occasions I play at resort or public courses and get paired up it seems a lot of those I'm paired up with do the hat-doffing thing.

I don't care if someone does it or not (I do not) but I will say if you take your hat off, run your right hand over your sweaty hair or head and then offer it to me I will decline to handshake. That's a totally gross habit. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, North Butte said:

A few years ago I'd have said half the people I played with would take their hat off on the 18th hole before shaking hands. Now it's maybe one person in ten.

Interestingly, on the rare occasions I play at resort or public courses and get paired up it seems a lot of those I'm paired up with do the hat-doffing thing.

I don't care if someone does it or not (I do not) but I will say if you take your hat off, run your right hand over your sweaty hair or head and then offer it to me I will decline to handshake. That's a totally gross habit. 

BTW, I also decline the handshake with anyone I've seen rooting around in their cheek with a finger, digging out cuds of smokeless tobacco in order to spit them on the fringe of the greens. I also decline to play again with those people in future. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to always take it off after a round or tourney in high school golf back in the early 2000's, but it's a quick fist bump now I see. I'm OK with that as my hairline isn't quite the same as 2003...

Just give a good handshake/fist bump at the end of the round and make eye contact. Done deal.

Edited by LUMA
  • Like 3

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

14 hours ago, LUMA said:

Just give a good handshake/fist bump at the end of the round and make eye contact. Done deal.

Exactly.

If I've played golf with someone for 3-1/2 hours, we've had plenty of chances to show each other respect (or not) in the ways that really matter. Once the last putt is holed it's just a quick farewell, no elaborate ritual needed. 

P.S. It is probably considered good manners on the 18th green to wait and say, "I think you owe me ten bucks" AFTER the handshake. I'm just sayin'...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LUMA said:

I used to always take it off after a round or tourney in high school golf back in the early 2000's, but it's a quick fist bump now I see. I'm OK with that as my hairline isn't quite the same as 2003...

9 hours ago, North Butte said:

Exactly.

If I've played golf with someone for 3-1/2 hours, we've had plenty of chances to show each other respect (or not) in the ways that really matter. Once the last putt is holed it's just a quick farewell, no elaborate ritual needed. 

P.S. It is probably considered good manners on the 18th green to wait and say, "I think you owe me ten bucks" AFTER the handshake. I'm just sayin'...

Yeah, both of these.

I don't think I've shaken hands with anybody in almost 3 years, on OR off the course.

I see someone I know in the golf store and I bump knuckles. :classic_laugh:

Oh, and actually, I'm trying to figure out how on earth this topic ended up in the "Cooler". :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 11/28/2022 at 3:35 PM, drexelius said:

Acts of respect never go out of style. 

^^^This.

• Like 4

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

• 2 weeks later...

I take my hat off, run my gross dirty hand through my sweaty and greasy hair and then put it right up on someone for a nice long hand shake.

Seriously though, that is gross and nobody wants that. 

A fist bump is fine. A "thanks so much for the round" works. A "see you in the club house for a beer on me" is great. 

If you have failed to build up the respect or common courtesy the four hours prior to the 18th hole sweaty hand/greasy hair exchange it doesnt matter anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I turn my hat around backwards then offer hugs to the group.

It's the ultimate sign of respect.

Glasses stay on though.  I'm not a barbarian. 

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wear a football helmet for intimidation and to help not look up on putts so it’s a bit irritating to unstrap on the 18th.

Ok now to tell the truth, it’s not a big deal to me. I always do it. It’s just a habit and is very respectful to me. But no harm no foul if you keep the hat on. I’m only going to start plotting revenge every day praying for your downfall.

ok I’m sorry I’m done. Couldn’t care either way.

Edited by SupSup99
Typo
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Simple explanation… Tiger started this when he played Bay Hill and the Memorial and took off his hat to greet Arnie and Jack as a sign of respect, (And they deserved it!) You won’t find video of players prior to that doing this… Tiger received so much positive feedback from the commentators on TV that others started to copy it.. then as more began doing it, there became a point when the uninitiated just thought it to be a thing to do all the time… which is where we’re at today.. everyone thinks this is a tradition of the game which it is not! some argue why not just do it.. I’d say because it’s gross. Watch Jon Rahm after a round remove his hat and swipe his hand through his sweaty hair and then extend his hand? No thanks.. not to mention, I play in tournaments with young guys who are vaguely aware of the rules and besides taking forever to play, pretty much annoy everyone all day.. but then remove their hat as a sign of respect?? I’d prefer you know the rules and show respect to your playing partners through being a good guy and playing the right way…now you know..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2023 at 10:24 PM, dball820 said:

Simple explanation… Tiger started this when he played Bay Hill and the Memorial and took off his hat to greet Arnie and Jack as a sign of respect, (And they deserved it!) You won’t find video of players prior to that doing this… Tiger received so much positive feedback from the commentators on TV that others started to copy it.. then as more began doing it, there became a point when the uninitiated just thought it to be a thing to do all the time… which is where we’re at today.. everyone thinks this is a tradition of the game which it is not! some argue why not just do it.. I’d say because it’s gross. Watch Jon Rahm after a round remove his hat and swipe his hand through his sweaty hair and then extend his hand? No thanks.. not to mention, I play in tournaments with young guys who are vaguely aware of the rules and besides taking forever to play, pretty much annoy everyone all day.. but then remove their hat as a sign of respect?? I’d prefer you know the rules and show respect to your playing partners through being a good guy and playing the right way…now you know..

No disrespect but taking ones hat off came long before Tiger. Like centuries longer. 

• Like 4

Most of the time, I don't wear a hat when I play golf, so it's a non-issue for me.  If those I'm playing with don't take off their hats, I don't feel anything, one way or the other.  Fine either way.

This scenario may also depend on where I play.  If I'm at a very high end, fancy club setting, I may be more aware of tip-toeing around all the etiquette versus when I'm playing with close friends at the local municipal goat-track with a clubhouse that more or less is a bar-scene.

Current set lineup:  Left Handed

Driver--Callaway Epic Speed w/Project X Hzrdus Smoke "R" Flex

5 Wood--Ping G425 Max w/Alta CB65 "R" Flex

Hybrid--Titleist 818 H1 in 23* w/Tensei shaft, "R" Flex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

I don't think it's a big thing with most people. Even the old timers I've played with haven't made it a point, or they at least haven't said anything to me. I don't think people care.

In fact, golfers are encouraged to get the heck off the green on 18 to speed the approach of the next group. I swear, the way some courses send rangers after you on the course, I'd almost expect a team of rangers on horseback to come charging in with whips and lassos to remove the offending slow pokes as they linger on the 18th green for longer than necessary.

In they ride...... BadaBOP! BadaBOP! BadaBOP! BadaBOP!

HYAHHH!!! HYAHHH!!! ***WHIP WHIP**** HYAAHHHHHHH!!!

BadaBOP! BadaBOP! BadaBOP!

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: Rossa Lambeau (Maybe Time for a Change)

On 7/29/2023 at 11:50 PM, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

I don't think it's a big thing with most people. Even the old timers I've played with haven't made it a point, or they at least haven't said anything to me. I don't think people care.

In fact, golfers are encouraged to get the heck off the green on 18 to speed the approach of the next group. I swear, the way some courses send rangers after you on the course, I'd almost expect a team of rangers on horseback to come charging in with whips and lassos to remove the offending slow pokes as they linger on the 18th green for longer than necessary.

In they ride...... BadaBOP! BadaBOP! BadaBOP! BadaBOP!

HYAHHH!!! HYAHHH!!! ***WHIP WHIP**** HYAAHHHHHHH!!!

BadaBOP! BadaBOP! BadaBOP!

I remember one time a few years ago, playing an out of town course as a single, the foursome ahead of me stood on the 18th green and reached into their pocket for their wallets. They were literally stood there settling up their bets, then shaking hands, before slowly strolling back to their carts.

Don't recall if they doffed their hats or not...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

I remember one time a few years ago, playing an out of town course as a single, the foursome ahead of me stood on the 18th green and reached into their pocket for their wallets. They were literally stood there settling up their bets, then shaking hands, before slowly strolling back to their carts.

Don't recall if they doffed their hats or not...

I had a similar experience about a month ago with the same sort of routine. I didn't see any wallets come out, but we were joking that we should chase them off with our approach shots... hehe

In all honesty it was an extra 5 seconds, but at least my childish half was tempted LOL

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: Rossa Lambeau (Maybe Time for a Change)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...