Removing your hat at end of round

Seeing my sweaty head and sideways glare is usually more off-putting than leaving the hat and shades on. Careful what you wish for, I guess.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I'm 28, therefore a millennial that is ruining everything, but I take my hat of to shake hands at the end of a round. It's not that hard.

31 here. I take my sunglasses and hat off at the end of the round. I don’t really know why. Just kind of feels like the right thing to do (at least to me). I don’t care when someone doesn’t do it and I don’t view them as disrespectful. It’s just what feels right to me

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Yes, I remove my hat and sunglasses to shake hands after a round like gentlemen have done since golf was first played. And I won't be polite and pretend that I respect those who don't because I immediately consider that action to be the action of an a**. Just my opinion and I don't care who disagrees. I'm tired of all the pc bs about "everybody do their own thing." Now I will get off my soapbox because that is the one thing in recent golf that irks me.

Yes, I remove my hat and sunglasses to shake hands after a round like gentlemen have done since golf was first played. And I won't be polite and pretend that I respect those who don't because I immediately consider that action to be the action of an a**. Just my opinion and I don't care who disagrees. I'm tired of all the pc bs about "everybody do their own thing." Now I will get off my soapbox because that is the one thing in recent golf that irks me.

I respect your feelings about it. At some point, you'll be playing as a single - often. More important things in life than to get worked up about.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

I have a chuckle/cringe when pro's like Rory or Phil take off their hat, run there right hand through their sweaty hair to tidy it up then use that hand to shake hands with others.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

My group doesn't shake hands after a round, but I will if I'm playing with strangers or after a competitive round. Otherwise, if I take my hat off, I get rude, and yes, hurtful, comments about the glare off my head. If I take my glasses off, I can't see the hand to shake.

I think taking your glasses off is just fair play, after you have blinded them with the glare :)

I think it’s a great gesture that upholds the tradition of the sport, but here is one thing that I just don’t get. I see a lot of the pros grab their hat with their left hand, run their right hand through their sweaty hair after a 4 hour round of golf, and then go in for the handshake. How about grabbing the hat in the right hand, do the hair fix, switch the hat to the other hand and then shake, or wait to arrange the locks until after the handshake.

Or do it like the men did in the 70's, 80's and 90's, leave your hat on and just shake hands.

Played golf in every one of those decades. We always took our hats off at the end of a round. Most did Most still do.

If you remember what you did 20, 30, 40 years ago, you're a better man than I. Whatever I did was some kind of routine, not worth taking up space in my own memory banks. That's why I did refer to the old videos where I could. Here's a few occasions where players didn't take their hats off at the round-ending handshake:

Payne and Phil at Pinehurst in 1999. Neither removes his hat

Venturi wins the US Open at Congressional in 1964. His playing partner doesn't take off his hat.

Mize beats Norman at the Masters, 1987, keeps his hat on, Norman wasn't wearing one

1986 Open Championship, Tommy Nakajima shakes Greg Norman's hand, his hat still on

1965 US Open, Kel Nagle leaves his hat on to congratulate Gary Player. Player had removed his hat earlier as the sun was going down

I don't believe any of these guys could be classified as rude, this was just a normal way things were done at the time. I remain convinced that taking the hat off for the handshake is a more modern evolution of good manners.

I'm not saying you SHOULD leave your hat on, take it off if you prefer. But this has simply NOT been the standard forever, as a few of my references indicate. A simple handshake is enough, in my view. And of course, if you win the money, you buy the first round of beer.

I respect your feelings about it. At some point, you'll be playing as a single - often. More important things in life than to get worked up about.

Taking your hat off means you are a gentleman? Not taking your hat off means you are an a**? Got it..

See all these years when I've gotten paired up with random people, I've been wasting my time conversing and getting to know them over 18 holes.. I could have skipped all that small talk and waited until the 18th to find out if they were a good guy/gal or not.

If I'm wearing sunglasses, I always remove them regardless of who I am playing with, as I believe you should always make eye contact when shaking hands. I don't always take my hat off if I"m playing with regulars, but usually do when playing with new people. If I or someone else doesn't, I don't think twice about it. The handshake with sunglasses removed is a better gesture.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

As an older guy, too, I respectfully disagree. I have always removed my hat (and sunglasses) after a round when I shake hands with the members of my group. I truly feel this is a sign of respect, however, I do not judge others that don't.

+1. I always remove my hat (don't wear sunglasses playing golf) and shake hands with each member of my group after a round. I was just brought up that it was the right thing to do. But it's hardly worth debating to me, how hard is it to remove your hat and shake hands at the end of a round? Some guys leave their hats on but no one has ever refused to shake hands, it's not important to me what others do.

When I'm out on a practice round I might wear jeans or nice cargo shorts and my shirt may not be tucked in. However, in league play I always wear a collared shirt, tucked in, and "proper shorts" with a belt (not cargo shorts) - only because I know it's still a big deal to some guys (most my age). It's not important to me what others do, but mostly it's not worth harming the experience with others over bucking tradition to me, when it's no trouble to "conform." I've played with lots of guys in jeans, cargo shorts and even (rarely) sweat pants and T-shirts - doesn't bother me in the least, unless it's in violation of a given courses dress code. Another reasons I wear proper attire whenever I play, so I don't have to wonder what's allowed anywhere I play.

There are plenty of serious issues to worry about, just shaking hands as a courtesy and golf course apparel aren't on my radar. Clearly first world problems. YMMV

I generally take my hat off. Then I wipe my sweaty head with my forearm so as to not get sweat on my hand before I shake yours (cause that would be really gross).

I don't really care what you do as long as you were pleasant and polite for the round.

Anyone that gets offended if someone doesn't remove their hat before shaking hands likely has many relationship issues in life.

I've played golf since I was an early teenager. I'm now nearly 40. Learned the game from my grandfather. I think I've removed my hat to shake hands with my playing partners every round of my life. It's just what he taught me. It doesn't bother me at all if my partners don't do the same, but I'd bet 75% of people take theirs off for the handshake after seeing me do so.

Playing with my buddies I don’t, but if we get paired up with someone I don’t know I always remove my hat to shake hands.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSI2 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

I'm standing in the middle of the 18th fairway....hands on hips....tapping foot....while all you people are taking off your hats and sunglasses, running your hands through your sweaty hair or over your bald head, wiping the sweat off your forehead with your forearm...then, you start shaking hands...first, the one to your left, then, the one to your right...then, whoever is left....only THEN do you begin to mosey your lazy azzes off the green, all while I'm fuming at waiting to hit into the last green of my over 5 hour round.....

BUT WAIT----NOW, you've got to go sit in your carts, so conveniently parked right next to the 18th green, to tally your scores, figure the bets, then argue about what someone had on the 4th hole....

I'M STILL WAITING TO HIT INTO THE GREEN, FELLAS......

FINALLY...you drive off, only to have the first cart stop unexpectedly, with the second cart almost rear-ending the first, because someone in the first cart left one of their 5 or 6 towels on the last green, so YOU HEAD BACK TO THE GREEN ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!

FFS......putt out, drive off, settle your bets in the clubhouse....hat on or hat off.....FFS

(I hope that the humor came out through this post...but, I think we've all seen it happen, at least once in our golfing lives)

I think it’s a great gesture that upholds the tradition of the sport, but here is one thing that I just don’t get. I see a lot of the pros grab their hat with their left hand, run their right hand through their sweaty hair after a 4 hour round of golf, and then go in for the handshake. How about grabbing the hat in the right hand, do the hair fix, switch the hat to the other hand and then shake, or wait to arrange the locks until after the handshake.

Or do it like the men did in the 70's, 80's and 90's, leave your hat on and just shake hands.

I played in all those decades, always remove my hat, always will. So have 90% of the people I have played with.

Had to kiss some bloody ugly women too.

Always remove my hat, and shake everyone's hand after the round. Also always remove my hat indoors. When being introduced outdoors, I remove my hat, and indoors, if seated stand and shake hands. Manners do not go out of style. However if someone did not do these things, I would just pass it off as having a different culture than where I am from.

Agree. I never shake hands without standing either.

Played golf in every one of those decades. We always took our hats off at the end of a round. Most did Most still do.

If you remember what you did 20, 30, 40 years ago, you're a better man than I. Whatever I did was some kind of routine, not worth taking up space in my own memory banks. That's why I did refer to the old videos where I could. Here's a few occasions where players didn't take their hats off at the round-ending handshake:

Payne and Phil at Pinehurst in 1999. Neither removes his hat

Venturi wins the US Open at Congressional in 1964. His playing partner doesn't take off his hat.

Mize beats Norman at the Masters, 1987, keeps his hat on, Norman wasn't wearing one

1986 Open Championship, Tommy Nakajima shakes Greg Norman's hand, his hat still on

1965 US Open, Kel Nagle leaves his hat on to congratulate Gary Player. Player had removed his hat earlier as the sun was going down

I don't believe any of these guys could be classified as rude, this was just a normal way things were done at the time. I remain convinced that taking the hat off for the handshake is a more modern evolution of good manners.

Its not, youre wrong. All my golfing life its been considered good manners. Its up to other people if they do it. I always will, even in torrential rain.

Maybe its a UK thing.