Body connection when putting

I keep reading that when putting you should have good connection between the arms/elbows and the body for a stable stroke. Can you have too much connection to the point where is becomes restrictive? For example should you maintain the connection throughout the stroke?

Also when I setup and connect my elbows to my body/ribcage I feel as if they are in different positions. My left elbow seems to be against my side and my right elbow somewhat in front of my body. Is this due to my right hand being lower on the grip or am I doing something wrong?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep reading that when putting you should have good connection between the arms/elbows and the body for a stable stroke. Can you have too much connection to the point where is becomes restrictive? For example should you maintain the connection throughout the stroke?

Also when I setup and connect my elbows to my body/ribcage I feel as if they are in different positions. My left elbow seems to be against my side and my right elbow somewhat in front of my body. Is this due to my right hand being lower on the grip or am I doing something wrong?

Anything can be overdone but connection wouldn't necessarily be restrictive unless it leads to tension, and yes connection throughout the stroke is not a negative. Arguably one of the best ball rollers the game has ever seen has this to say about connection.

http://www.secretint...category_id=238

Here's what i do when i go into a putting slump... i watch Rickie Fowler over and over on the greens. His set up is what you're trying to replicate. Eyes over the ball, narrow stance, elbows at the hip sockets ( not touching them! ) smooth stroke , nothing is pushed or pulled left shoulder just gently rocks the ball on his line. I rarely make anything but i rarely 3- putt either.

My personal opinion would be not consciously think about connection during the stroke.

A simple drill that I do to feel "connection" while putting is to put a glove under each arm pit. Usually do from varying lengths but mostly 3-12 feet but some longer ones as well. After 5 minutes or so, everything feels "connected" again then back to basics (eye position, stance, etc.)

• 1 month later...

I do that drill in similar manner, but with tees under my arms. Watching Jackie Burke in the video above it’s interesting to see his right arm also on his side, not in front of his body as many position it. I believe it was Burke who influenced Nicklaus with his putting setup and stroke. It does however require either a more bent over setup, longer putter and blend of the two.