Jimmy Ballard

So today I made the effort to get behind the ball (slow load) and release to the ball.

Hit some wonderful shots effortless. Felt like my arms were being "flung" by the motion of releasing towards the target.

That being said, I have a question about swing plane......

Getting behind and thru the ball with my right side is causing some steep divots / swing plane. Anyway to fix the steepness of the downswing?

So today I made the effort to get behind the ball (slow load) and release to the ball.

Hit some wonderful shots effortless. Felt like my arms were being "flung" by the motion of releasing towards the target.

That being said, I have a question about swing plane......

Getting behind and thru the ball with my right side is causing some steep divots / swing plane. Anyway to fix the steepness of the downswing?

Keep the shoulders closed for a split second longer during the transition will help you start down from the ground up. If you start your downswing by opening the shoulders you will be steep all day long.

Whats funny is that was the feeling I had on the steep shots.....opening up the upper body a smidge early.

Thanks again my friend.

If you have great fundamentals; grip, stance, posture, ball position, and alignment and tie those all together with good sequence, it's really hard to not play good golf.... bad sequence (ie: starting down by opening the shoulders too early on the downswing) will be the cause of most of your swing faults and flaws.

When the sh#t hits the fan, I always simplify things, I don't complicate them like so many tend to. It's easy to get confused in this crazy game, and it's hard for me to play badly when I set up well; grip, stance, posture, ball position and then shift my weight, keep the club in front of my body, and release it! The swing is that simple for me. I try to think like an athlete when it comes to my golf game, not an engineer :)

Hey, I resemble that statement! ;-)

So I finally received The Swing Shirt yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ICM5BH0

I can read or get lessons about where the arms are / put them on the body.....but 3 swing with the shirt on really made everything click.

Going to take a little time to get the feeling ingrained.

On a side note.....I dont know if I will wear it out in public on the course / range....seems risky lol

Calvin Peete straightest golfer in tour history. Short left arm.

At age 12, he fell from a cherry tree near his grandmother’s house in Haiti, Missouri, breaking his left elbow in three places. It was set badly and fused permanently.

And David Leadbetters A swing is nothing more than a JB rip-off

Leadbetter pretty much disappeard into hiding w that A swing clusterF. It reminds me of when Flick ran away from his book Sq to Sq Method. I think Leadbetter just put on some jogging panties.

I have tried many swing thoughts tickerd myself into a spiral of frustration. But, when I read thru ASwing and saw the 3 grade artistry and akward cocking of wrists I shuttered w haunting disbelief someone put it on paper

At age 12, he fell from a cherry tree near his grandmother’s house in Haiti, Missouri, breaking his left elbow in three places. It was set badly and fused permanently.

Rip off is being nice and almost crediting a screwjob swing theory. Hes teaching a flip and somehow manages to con peeps into buying a wackjob book of messed up pieces of a swing. The only thing he says thats correct is right heel to left toe but showers the end result with a flowery twist of nothing but false confidence.

I want to puke.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/david-leadbetters-swing-tips

Great video. That may be the best example in captivity of the speedster comment about keeping the shoulders closed for a fraction of a second at the top to get the downswing going from the ground up and not coming over the top.

97 Speedster,

Was reviewing this thread today and came across the posts about "hovering" the club at address.

I was doing a 4 spotter for the Boone Valley Classic (Senior Tour back them) in either 96 or 97 (can't remember the year for sure). For some reason, started "hovering" on Sunday during the practice round for the qualifier and took it right into the qualifying round on Monday (site was Missouri Bluffs - Tom Fazio course). Was low with 6 under 66. Shot another 66 in practice round at Boone Valley CC and won the Wednesday Pro-Am with 68. Did it all thru the 3 tournament rounds. Think I finished in the top 25 that week.

Can't for the life of me figure why I don't do that anymore (not sure if I did if for very long after that tournament). Think I will put that back on the table for this year once weather in Northern VA gets into spring.

Did sneak in a round yesterday (temps in upper 60's) but course was soaking wet. First time out in a month as managed a 2 over 74 with bogey on last hole (gambled on a shot over water with my partner in good shape).

Trying to work the Ballard stuff into my swing.

Thanks again for all of your great input and responding to all of the questions.

Gentlemen like you make golf the great game it is.

Bruce

I had a GREAT lesson with Jimmy today! Same stuff, it never changes, just things I can do better in my swing.... I've been working with him for 24 years so it doesn't take me long, we always are on the same page which is nice.

He moved my ball up so it was off my left heel.... I was getting a little low with my right side on the downswing and not springing the shaft. As soon as I got it down my ball flight and divots were better immediately. As always, we talked a lot.

I sent him that Calvin Peete YouTube video to his cell phone early this morning and he loved some of the camera angles in the video. He actually reminded me of something he told me 20 years ago after he watched Calvin; he said a great training aid is to go to a thrift store and buy a blazer that is a few sizes too small for you, then cut the right arm sleeve completely off and put it on and make swings.... The tightness of the blazer will wither your left arm and help you stay connected and swing it back with half a left arm like Calvin naturally did due to his arm injury.

Jimmy also had some nice things to say about JJAyers who joined this thread recently and worked with Jimmy back in the late 1980's when he was at Doral.... remembered him right away. Him and I have been chatting a bunch in a private message.

Below is a picture of one of Jimmy's child prodigy students from Chicago, the girl is 15 and can really play.... you ever seen a 15 year girl or boy spring the shaft like this girl and look how nice and high she keeps her right side on the way down!

Jimmys adult prodigy 89’ ?

I had a GREAT lesson with Jimmy today! Same stuff, it never changes, just things I can do better in my swing.... I've been working with him for 24 years so it doesn't take me long, we always are on the same page which is nice.

He moved my ball up so it was off my left heel.... I was getting a little low with my right side on the downswing and not springing the shaft. As soon as I got it down my ball flight and divots were better immediately. As always, we talked a lot.

I sent him that Calvin Peete YouTube video to his cell phone early this morning and he loved some of the camera angles in the video. He actually reminded me of something he told me 20 years ago after he watched Calvin; he said a great training aid is to go to a thrift store and buy a blazer that is a few sizes too small for you, then cut the right arm sleeve completely off and put it on and make swings.... The tightness of the blazer will wither your left arm and help you stay connected and swing it back with half a left arm like Calvin naturally did due to his arm injury.

Jimmy also had some nice things to say about JJAyers who joined this thread recently and worked with Jimmy back in the late 1980's when he was at Doral.... remembered him right away. Him and I have been chatting a bunch in a private message.

Below is a picture of one of Jimmy's child prodigy students from Chicago, the girl is 15 and can really play.... you ever seen a 15 year girl or boy spring the shaft like this girl and look how nice and high she keeps her right side on the way down!

I was going to ask you about your monthly lesson and how it went. My friend Bill Abrams was with Jimmy yesterday.....dont know if you ran into him?

As for your lesson notes......do you update the 1st post of this thread so everything is 1 spot? If not, it would be appreciated for hacks like myself who can't remember anything when going on the course and need a reference.

Hope all is well my friend :)

If you have great fundamentals; grip, stance, posture, ball position, and alignment and tie those all together with good sequence, it's really hard to not play good golf.... bad sequence (ie: starting down by opening the shoulders too early on the downswing) will be the cause of most of your swing faults and flaws.

When the sh#t hits the fan, I always simplify things, I don't complicate them like so many tend to. It's easy to get confused in this crazy game, and it's hard for me to play badly when I set up well; grip, stance, posture, ball position and then shift my weight, keep the club in front of my body, and release it! The swing is that simple for me. I try to think like an athlete when it comes to my golf game, not an engineer :)

Curtis in his prime right bf the opens! That is about a foot of lateral. He was beating everyone with this swing around the globe. Pretty amazing to me ??

I was going to ask you about your monthly lesson and how it went. My friend Bill Abrams was with Jimmy yesterday.....dont know if you ran into him?

As for your lesson notes......do you update the 1st post of this thread so everything is 1 spot? If not, it would be appreciated for hacks like myself who can't remember anything when going on the course and need a reference.

Jimmy told me Bill was coming over to see him later that day and asked me if I knew him, which I don't.... I was there before he got there though so I didn't see him.

The main thread is updated and with JB, the information isn't going to ever change. The only change I have seen JB make in his teaching is when he wrote his book, "How to Perfect your golf swing", he wrote that he wanted the right foot square at address and now he wants it turned in so the big toe points at the ball. This change really helps make it almost impossible to sway back or get the club behind you in the backswing.

Lets hope Abrams takes down some of those youtube videos that are exaggerated unathletic interpretations of folding arms and not from Ballard. That inly confuses the masses and sends them to Bedwetters A swing fiasco.

Jimmy told me Bill was coming over to see him later that day and asked me if I knew him, which I don't.... I was there before he got there though so I didn't see him.

The main thread is updated and with JB, the information isn't going to ever change. The only change I have seen JB make in his teaching is when he wrote his book, "How to Perfect your golf swing", he wrote that he wanted the right foot square at address and now he wants it turned in so the big toe points at the ball. This change really helps make it almost impossible to sway back or get the club behind you in the backswing.

Lets hope Abrams takes down some of those youtube videos that are exaggerated unathletic interpretations of folding arms and not from Ballard. That inly confuses the masses and sends them to Bedwetters A swing fiasco.

I agree that Abrams makes the Ballard swing look very unathletic. It doesn't look very good at all.