• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The equipment dictates the swing. Vardon played with wooden shafts with a ton of torque. If he had a wrist position like Dustin Johnson at the top, the ball would go no where. I saw Sutton play in his prime in 1982-83 with Bobby Clampett and a young Payne Stewart. All three used persimmon drivers with steel shafts and hit the ball very straight and very long. Measured, their drives probably went 280 off the tee. In that same tournament, Kemper Open at Congressional, there were golfers like Hubert Green that were right around 250 off the tee. There was one shaft essentially, the dynamic by true temper. Now, there are hundreds of different shafts and head combos just in the driver. The shut face at the top used to be restricted to strong players, Weiskopf comes to mind. With a 460 degree driver more players can be shut at the top and hit it it very well. Azinger had the shut face look, but I recall his teacher, John Redman wrote a book advocating an upright shaft plane and the wrists under the shaft, similar to Ballard.

> @97speedster said:

> > @DonRSD said:

> > At impact.....

> >

> > Should the head be behind the ball, over the ball or in front of the ball?

>

> It depends on which club you’re using, but with a mid iron the left ear (for right handed golfers) should be touching or slightly behind a vertical line drawn up from the ball. You should be more on top of the ball at impact with a wedge and more behind it with a driver, but these aren’t things you should be thinking about, they will be more of a reaction from a proper swing and set up.

>

> Here is where I am with a 7 iron. I’ve been working hard on getting shorter and wider in my right arm on the backswing so here I would want to be a little more soft in my left arm, but I’ll work on that when I get home from vacation; it should at least give you a visual though.

>

> qnecpsnaaraj.png

>

> ly7gih4hfq84.png

>

> ij684wz7jbzq.png

>

> xhzkkmactd2q.png

>

>

>

Explain something for me please. I always hear Jimmy say "keep your right shoulder up" and "you have to be up to hit down" yet on your third photo down at impact your right shoulder is well below your left. I've been trying to keep my right shoulder high even into impact. So I've been doing it wrong?

Listening to PGA Tour Radio this morning I heard host Larry Rinker talking about the upper core swing.

I began to think this is a lot of what JB teaches. Allowing the big muscles to control the swing.

Rinker started talking about the arms and hands controlling the swing with the upper core supporting. In my mind this is not what JB teaches

> @Tazz4629 said:

> Listening to PGA Tour Radio this morning I heard host Larry Rinker talking about the upper core swing.

>

> I began to think this is a lot of what JB teaches. Allowing the big muscles to control the swing.

>

> Rinker started talking about the arms and hands controlling the swing with the upper core supporting. In my mind this is not what JB teaches

Rinker is definitely not teaching Ballard. Interesting thesis, though.

I find it interesting his brother Larry is armsy and won more $$ on tour yet Lee never took off w the better swing. Maybe we should be talking about between ears instead!!

kuk2mvam6crb.jpeg

> @97speedster said:

> No, I played pro golf with Larry starting in 1992, he’s more a feel player without any Ballard in his swing. I also played with his brother Lee who was the better of the two, but their sister had a had a better a career than both on the LPGA Tour.... big golfing family.

U wear JBs glove w that too or too many gadgets?

> @97speedster said:

> > @Ayersjj said:

> > @97speedster thanks for beating the width drum. Big help today, much appreciated. I think the inconsistency I have been experiencing is related. I still slide too much but better than reverse.

> >

>

> Good. You want to feel like at the top of the backswing your right thumb is pushed away from the head. You can do this with connection, it will shorten your backswing and arm swing when you do it right. For me it, it makes a more level downswing much easier.

>

> Keeping the proper width WILL shallow you out which will make your divots smaller and your ball flight should also go higher with a better launch.

>

> I keep telling you this, but get a Right Angle 2 and set it on HALF for all full swings, it makes grooving it much easier. Butch Harmon thinks it’s the best training aid out there and uses it on all his guys.

>

> https://www.golftrainingaids.com/products/right-angle-2

> @jc4birdie said:

> > @Tazz4629 said:

> > Listening to PGA Tour Radio this morning I heard host Larry Rinker talking about the upper core swing.

> >

> > I began to think this is a lot of what JB teaches. Allowing the big muscles to control the swing.

> >

> > Rinker started talking about the arms and hands controlling the swing with the upper core supporting. In my mind this is not what JB teaches

>

> Rinker is definitely not teaching Ballard. Interesting thesis, though.

>

>

Agree; as you imply, he's almost the direct opposite.

Larry recently had Mike Malaska on his satellite radio show and they got to talking about their mentors Jim Flick and Bob Toski (at least Malaska's mentors). Mike and Larry agreed that both teach using the arms and (especially) hands to generate clubhead speed. I then saw a YT video in which Ballard and Flick debate body vs. arms. So I take from that (transitivity ?) that Ballard and Rinker may be friendly, but are diametrically opposed in their views on the golf swing.

"The company loves its money. If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."

> @97speedster said:

> > @garyt said:

> > >

> >

> > Explain something for me please. I always hear Jimmy say "keep your right shoulder up" and "you have to be up to hit down" yet on your third photo down at impact your right shoulder is well below your left. I've been trying to keep my right shoulder high even into impact. So I've been doing it wrong?

>

> > >

> > > ij684wz7jbzq.png

> > >

>

> You can’t launch the ball with level shoulders at impact, there has to be some tilt. Keeping your right shoulder higher on the downswing doesn’t mean keeping your right shoulder above your left impact, it’s more a feel. Look at where Hogan and Nicklaus are at impact and you can see for yourself:

>

> l42o3hu1ecyn.png

>

>

> Speedster, my last round I drop kicked five drivers. Dropping the right shoulder and getting stuck is my big fault. Even thinking about the right shoulder lower kills my swing.

>

> @Ayersjj said:

> Malaska keeps talking about how 1/2 his career he tried to swing toe up half way bak to NO success. When I googled his career he basically made a few qualifiers WTF?? He’s like the next Flick riding Nicklaus’s name into marketing the arms dominance teaching. I guess the almighty dollar makes it right for some teachers vs fundamentals.

>

> >

> > Larry recently had Mike Malaska on his satellite radio show and they got to talking about their mentors Jim Flick and Bob Toski (at least Malaska's mentors). Mike and Larry agreed that both teach using the arms and hands to get clubhead speed. I then saw a YT video in which Ballard and Flick debate body vs. arms. So I take from that (transitivity ?) that Ballard and Rinker may be friendly, but are diametrically opposed in their views on the golf swing.

> >

> >

>

>

Well, you of course have a right to your opinion but I can't get quite as worked up at Malaska (or Rinker) just because they teach an alternative swing method. If they showed disrespect to body-driven swings then I can see it, but I don't think there's one model that's been anointed the "holy" approach to the golf swing.

I would, however, be willing to defer to your expertise when it comes to deciding which one has a higher performance ceiling.

"The company loves its money. If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."