Epic animal style

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70s tipped heavily attas punch at 45”

I like a pretty heavy SW all around, so animal style it is.

I’m trying out a rogue sub zero but it feels too light. The shaft also just came loose from the adapter so I need to repair that before adding weight to the rogue and hitting it more.

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie

ATTAS PUNCH IS FOR THE PLAYER SEEKING A MID LAUNCH WITH PENETRATING BALL FLIGHT.

ATTAS Punch helps to deliver more distance through optimal launch and spin with an emphasis on better feel. It is designed at 47" for a better opportunity to build at your best desired playing length.

The use of NANOALLOY® Technology and high modulus prepreg throughout the entire length of the shaft improves feel and allows the shaft to recover more consistently for tighter shot dispersion.

A constant taper design offers players a precise feel of more energy transfer to the ball for instant player feedback with greater distance. Like all other ATTAS shafts, the tight tolerances during the manufacturing process ensure the most consistent performing shafts in golf.

IMO it’s the closest thing I’ve tried to the “mythical high launch low spin” shaft that everyone seems to want.

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie

well I have a Diamana D+ 70X that I just got but haven't tried it out yet. should play at 45", guess we'll see how it goes.

I’d offer better assistance but I don't think I understand the actual point of your question. I’ll just explain what the weight is used for. The type of shaft used is totally irrelevant.

The extra weight is added to increase swingweight, either for someone who wants an unusually heavy swingweight or, more commonly, to try and return the swingweight to some particular point after shortening the club from factory standard.

If you play the driver at 45”, less than Callaway standard, it will be at a slightly lighter than factory swingweight. An extra weight would probably not be a bad idea. You could accomplish the same thing with lead tape, or hot melt as well.

I always play my drivers at 43.5” and I add 10 grams of hot melt and fine tune with about 4 grams of lead tape to get it to D-2. I like my driver SW a bit on the light side.

well I have a Diamana D+ 70X that I just got but haven't tried it out yet. should play at 45", guess we'll see how it goes.

I’d offer better assistance but I don't think I understand the actual point of your question. I’ll just explain what the weight is used for. The type of shaft used is totally irrelevant.

The extra weight is added to increase swingweight, either for someone who wants an unusually heavy swingweight or, more commonly, to try and return the swingweight to some particular point after shortening the club from factory standard.

If you play the driver at 45”, less than Callaway standard, it will be at a slightly lighter than factory swingweight. An extra weight would probably not be a bad idea. You could accomplish the same thing with lead tape, or hot melt as well.

I always play my drivers at 43.5” and I add 10 grams of hot melt and fine tune with about 4 grams of lead tape to get it to D-2. I like my driver SW a bit on the light side.

I have never really played with swingweight/shaft length differences before. I usually play everything at standard length, but when I got the epic head it came with a 2nd weight(20g actually). so since this is really my first run at this, aside from weights like a SZ/F7+/M1/816/etc. just wanted to get an idea of what others play and see what would be fun to try out.

I have never really played with swingweight/shaft length differences before. I usually play everything at standard length, but when I got the epic head it came with a 2nd weight(20g actually). so since this is really my first run at this, aside from weights like a SZ/F7+/M1/816/etc. just wanted to get an idea of what others play and see what would be fun to try out.

Oh. I see. Well that clears things up. Interesting. Did you ask for the extra weight or did you buy it from someone who just included it?

I would hazard a guess that they played their driver shorter than the obnoxiously long Calloway standard of 45.5”. It’s D-3 SW from the factory.

If you actually ADDED a 20 gram weight and also had the standard weight on it, you would need to play it at about 43.5”-43.75” to have the swingweight at close to the factory standard. Probably about D-2. Reverse that...if you take off 2 inches it drops the SW about 11 points. One point on a driver is about 1.8 grams. 20 grams is about 11 points.

Anyways. I know that quite a few guys have said they like the Epic at 44” and a slightly heavy swingweight. If you added the 20 gram with the standard and played it at 44” you would be around D-5. Of course these guesses will vary a bit with the weight and type of shaft.

Anything heavier than d-5 is rarely enjoyed by people. The head will feel quite heavy. The weight you end up at is strictly preference. The club will function with a very heavy or very light swingweight, but if you are usd to “off the rack” swingweights it is likely that you will prefer something around D-3 to D-5.

Oh. I see. Well that clears things up. Interesting. Did you ask for the extra weight or did you buy it from someone who just included it?

I would hazard a guess that they played their driver shorter than the obnoxiously long Calloway standard of 45.5”. It’s D-3 SW from the factory.

If you actually ADDED a 20 gram weight and also had the standard weight on it, you would need to play it at about 43.5”-43.75” to have the swingweight at close to the factory standard. Probably about D-2. Reverse that...if you take off 2 inches it drops the SW about 11 points. One point on a driver is about 1.8 grams. 20 grams is about 11 points.

Anyways. I know that quite a few guys have said they like the Epic at 44” and a slightly heavy swingweight. If you added the 20 gram with the standard and played it at 44” you would be around D-5. Of course these guesses will vary a bit with the weight and type of shaft.

Anything heavier than d-5 is rarely enjoyed by people. The head will feel quite heavy. The weight you end up at is strictly preference. The club will function with a very heavy or very light swingweight, but if you are usd to “off the rack” swingweights it is likely that you will prefer something around D-3 to D-5.

very informative, and honestly stuff I didn't even think about. thanks for breaking that all down. for the last week I have been hitting it with the Heliumproto I have 5f5, so being a lighter shaft already with the heavier head it's been a bomber so far. I may have to give it ago w/ only one weight when the 70 comes in and then try to figure things out from there. I do like to have a heavier feel to my driver, not absurdly so but a little heavier. this is going to take some time to figure out. and ya sorry, to answer your question the guy I bought it from sent the 2nd weight w/ it- currently I have the stock weight set to draw and the 20g right in the middle a la M2/XR pro and so far it has been great.

I have an Epic Star (JDM) 10.5° that is 'Animal Style'.

It is shorter, at 43 5/8".

And it is shafted with a Kai'li 80 X.

I like short and heavy.

Some have even asked me if I would go Super Animal Style, and use 3 weghts.

Callaway Speed 9° Velcore Blue 6X
Callaway Apex 2H Speeder 904X
Callaway Apex 4H Speeder 904X
Miura CB301 4-5 iCWT Proto 105X
Miura CB1008 6-9 iCWT Proto 105X
 Miura HG 4606 iCWT Proto 105X
Miura HG 5210 iCWT Proto 105X
Miura HG 5810 iCWT Proto 105X
Miura HB 6416 iCWT Proto 105X
Garage Palm Beach Stability 1.0X

so that didn't work... at all. I think with the 20g weight it's just too much at 45". I took out the 20g, kept the stock weight, and with the 70X it's just fine at the current length. I may just pick up a shorter shaft like a lot of you have mentioned and try it that way. I think the only reason it seemed ok with the Helium shaft is because it's a 50ish g shaft so it even'd out. thanks for your info guys