Alberta Courses

6t4gt0

Athabasca is a GEM!
However I disagree on Dinosaur trail....the front 9 is a bowling ally, and the back nine is incredibly poorly designed from the back tees. e.g. as a lefty I have to hit a 40 yard hook around a boulder to hit the fairway on one of the holes, or the first par 5 while spectacular in view is so narrow you basically HAVE to hit 6I, 6I, wedge as ANYTHING slightly left or right is off the cliff.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

[quote name='duffer_mcmulligan' date='11 April 2010 - 03:07 AM' timestamp='1270969672' post='2373071']
If I can add my .02. Just to note, I am a 15 handicap, playing for 38 years, member of Canyon Meadows in Calgary. I have lived in the Calgary area since 1991, give or take.

In Calgary:

Calgary Golf and Country Club: Old school Stanley Thompson course, recently refurbished greens and tee boxes. Haven't played it since the redo. Solid course but 9, 10 and 18 are quirky holes. I don't think it is worth the ratings it gets in Score Mag. Very private. No public play.

Willow Park: Private: Tight , shortish, houses too close to course for my liking. Did I say it is tight?

[/quote]

A lot of people say that about the CG&CC, I played there from 10-15 years old and it is just loaded with character. I just love the layout and it is one of the only courses in town that I could see a PGA event being held at. I shouldn't love it so much because my mother dropped her membership due to some archaic sexist rules they had in place that banned my father from being a member, which is why we all switched the Willow Park.

Also, the restaurant, clubhouse and events are all top of the mark (by Calgary standards) and it was an honor to get my lessons there, and play there as a kid.

Willow Park is where I went after that, and tight is definitely an understatement. Members there are only there because they are hardcore golfers. There isn't much of a dinner/cocktails scene to speak of, so anyone at that course is there to play for sure. Certainly lacks the polish of the country club, but that is not really what they are going for. The culture is much warmer as well, which made it a winner for me.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ryan C' date='04 July 2010 - 03:13 PM' timestamp='1278270816' post='2554430']
[quote name='Bluefan75' date='04 July 2010 - 05:14 AM' timestamp='1278245688' post='2553982']
Anyone got any opinions on Sirocco?
[/quote]

Definitely worth checking out, better than most in Calgary. My personal favorite non private.
[/quote]

What are some other good non private Calgary course? I played Valley Ridge that course is way overpriced.

[quote name='BoomBoomLarry' date='05 July 2010 - 09:12 PM' timestamp='1278389545' post='2556824']
[quote name='Ryan C' date='04 July 2010 - 03:13 PM' timestamp='1278270816' post='2554430']
[quote name='Bluefan75' date='04 July 2010 - 05:14 AM' timestamp='1278245688' post='2553982']
[/quote]

Definitely worth checking out, better than most in Calgary. My personal favorite non private.
[/quote]

What are some other good non private Calgary course? I played Valley Ridge that course is way overpriced.
[/quote]

First choice for me would be

The Elks
Inglewood
Canal @ Delacour
Sirocco
Heritage Pointe
D'arcy Ranch
Redwood Meadows
Innisfail
Sundre

The second group would be( most are OK courses but overpriced)

Springbank Links
Wintergreen
Gleneagles
Speargrass
Valley Ridge
Lynx Ridge
Elbow Springs
River Spirit
Mckenzie Meadows
Rivers Edge

Courses I wouldn't bother with

Silverwing
Boulder Creek
Fox Hollow
Heather Glen
Lakeside Greens
Douglasdale
Shawnee Slopes

[quote name='BoomBoomLarry' date='07 July 2010 - 07:44 PM' timestamp='1278557071' post='2561607']
Where are some good practice facilities in Calgary where you can practice your putting?
[/quote]

Your best bet would to just go to a nearby course and use there putting green, don't think there are any driving ranges that have a putting green, RCGA has an 18 hole putting course

[quote name='Ryan C' date='06 July 2010 - 06:00 PM' timestamp='1278453600' post='2558222']
[quote name='BoomBoomLarry' date='05 July 2010 - 09:12 PM' timestamp='1278389545' post='2556824']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

First choice for me would be

The Elks
Inglewood
Canal @ Delacour
Sirocco
Heritage Pointe
D'arcy Ranch
Redwood Meadows
Innisfail
Sundre

The second group would be( most are OK courses but overpriced)

Springbank Links
Wintergreen
Gleneagles
Speargrass
Valley Ridge
Lynx Ridge
Elbow Springs
River Spirit
Mckenzie Meadows
Rivers Edge

Courses I wouldn't bother with

Silverwing
Boulder Creek
Fox Hollow
Heather Glen
Lakeside Greens
Douglasdale
Shawnee Slopes
[/quote]

I agree mostly with the exception of Shawnee Slopes. It is actually a nice little course with a lot of personality for a great price. Last time I was there, they were really struggling with managing their greens so I am not sure if they have fixed that or not. I don't see it as being as lowly thought of as some of the others in that list.

• 1 month later...

I played Shawnee Slopes yesterday and would definately put it in the "dont bother playing" category. The greens are slow and bumpy, tee boxes aren't even close to level. Course conditions were so bad I almost though I was playing a City of Calgary municipal course.

The best low budget golf course near Calgary is the Strathmore GC. Best public GC is probably Kananaskis, but its a bit of a drive.

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

The new course at Country Hills is awesome, sketchy name tough...The Talons...sounds like something from Napoleon Dynamite..also, the new super at the RCGA is killing it. The instructor side has an excellent putting and chipping green worth checking out. I think a year long short game pass is available..not sure the $ though..

Redwood is in great shape this year but my favourite public is Stewart Creek in Canmore..well worth the drive! Sirocco is great too, played in the Cantour event there last year! Speargrass is getting better and better too..

The best course in the province hands down is Wolf Creek. They can set it up to be the best, but its also the best day in day out.

Cheers all message me with any other questions on golf in Alberta!

I was in Calgary on business a couple of years ago and played Kananaskis...... All I can say is INCREDIBLE!!!

Course was in great condition and was one of the top 2 or 3 courses I have ever played in regards to its views!!!

A great round followed by lunch and a few brews on the deck......:drinks:

I hope to get back someday and play it again and take in Banff Springs also this time!!

Very jealous of those of you how live in that area!!!!!

Cobra King F9 Driver Cobra King F9 3 fwy Mizuno CLK 19* Mizuno 919 HM 4-6 PX 5.5 Mizuno 919 Forged 7-GW PX 5.5 Vokey 54*/8, 58*/14 Odyssey Fang 2 Ball Bridgestone Tour B XS

• 2 months later...

[quote name='rickpal14' timestamp='1283633152' post='2679272']
I was in Calgary on business a couple of years ago and played Kananaskis...... All I can say is INCREDIBLE!!!

Course was in great condition and was one of the top 2 or 3 courses I have ever played in regards to its views!!!

A great round followed by lunch and a few brews on the deck......:drinks:

I hope to get back someday and play it again and take in Banff Springs also this time!!

Very jealous of those of you how live in that area!!!!!
[/quote]

Kananaskis is definitely a hidden gem in the Canadian Rockies!

• 1 month later...

D'Arcy Ranch, Okotoks: One of my favorites. Rolling terrrain, a tough walk, but do-able. Very nice layout, IMO, but greens getting tired. Still, I look to play it two to three times a year, I like it so much. Some really fun risk/reward holes, very good mix of challenge and toughness. I believe this is one of the most underrated jewels in the country. Views of mountains are spectacular. When wind is up, this is a real challenge.

sssssssshhhhhhhh! Let's keep it our secret! It's getting too busy!secret.gif

Cobra Speedzone Camo Edition w/ GD Tour AD DI
Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5* w/Diamana Blueboard 63
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 3-PW w/ DG 105

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 60* ES 
PING Cadence TR Ketsch Mid

I finally got the chance to play in Alberta last year while I was in on a business trip. I was treated to a round at The Hamptons. I would highly recommend it if you get the chance. Absolutely fantastic shape and the greens were immaculate. Pretty tuff course that demands some shot making on several holes.

Later that week I played River Bend in Red Deer. Very nice public course and #18 is a beast. Greens were really nice! I hope to get back to both again in 2011.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

Red Deer Country Club is a sleeper if you can get on.
A lot of fun to play..and not what one would expect being in Red Deer...

• 2 months later...

[quote name='hbear' timestamp='1293518430' post='2861906']
Red Deer Country Club is a sleeper if you can get on.
A lot of fun to play..and not what one would expect being in Red Deer...
[/quote]

Old thread but I couldn't resist. I am a member in Red Deer, it is a great course, but easy on the Red Deer jokes, especially coming from someone from Edmonton. HaHa

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't played Wolf Creek in a few years, but the newer South course is nothing special.

If you can get on the original East and West 9's, I agree that Wolf Creek is one of the best courses in Alberta. Unfortunately the club will almost never allow you to play the original 18 holes anymore. If you play 18, the newer inferior South 9 will be part of the package.

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

[quote name='enduro' timestamp='1301759357' post='3112226']
I haven't played Wolf Creek in a few years, but the newer South course is nothing special.

If you can get on the original East and West 9's, I agree that Wolf Creek is one of the best courses in Alberta. Unfortunately the club will almost never allow you to play the original 18 holes anymore. If you play 18, the newer inferior South 9 will be part of the package.
[/quote]

Wolf Creek is 36 now, so you can play the original 18 anytime you want

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any advice on practice memberships?

Heritage pointe offers one that is the best hands down for 750 bucks, and I live close right now but i'm moving to the NW :( .

Something up on that end of the city would be great, so it's nice and close for every day use.

Titleist TSR 9° (Tensei 1K Pro White 70 TX)
Titleist TSi3 15° (Diamana Blue 80 X)
Taylormade P790 UDI 2 Iron (HZRDUS Black 100 6.5)
Nike VR Pro II 3-PW (DG X100)
Vokey SM9 54, 60 (DG X100)
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titelist ProV1

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='enduro' timestamp='1301759357' post='3112226']

[/quote]

Not true. Since the new 9 is open, the two 18's are marketed as The Old Course (original 18 holes) and The Links Course (South 9 and the newest 9 holes). The Old Course is shortish but tight in some spots, and the south 9 is long with not many birdie holes. From the tips, 3 thru 5 are 466 yard par4, 454 yard par 4, and 433 yard par 4, each with very difficult, if not impossible, lies if you are in a fairway bunker or in the rough. After those three, you can "rest " with a little 225 yard par 3.

• 1 month later...

edmonton

northern bear still in bad shape?

my family is coming to town and we are trying to do 4-5 course in a week (we are not that skilled)
1. red tail
2. northern bear
3. victoria or riverside
4. raven crest

need a 5th.... any recommendations (especially something that would offer something different from those 4 courses ?

I haven't been, but heard the bear isn't all that bad (no water issues considering how much rain we've gotten).

Unless you are close, I'd avoid Raven crest....it's a goat track.
Stoney Plain is in good shape. Barrhead is a nice VERY underrated track as well....(about 40mins out of the city).
The links at spruce grove is usually in good shape.
Couger Creek is a solid course just west of the city.

Guess it depends on what part of the city you are in.