2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Alberta Courses

6t4gt0

Valley Ridge was only ok. The fairways are thin and hard especially on the front. Bunkers have way too much sand in them and are poorly maintained. Greens smooth but very very slow. If it wasn't for the VIP rate, I doubt I'd ever play that place. Feel bad for the people that play full rack rate on the weekend. So many better options that offer much better value.

Good point about VR, I get the same feeling about Lynx Ridge as well; I mean they're nice courses but not good value for the weekend warrior.

With the talks in here about value for the weekend warrior, I'm curious.. Where do you guys see good value for us plebes who have to pay Rack Rate on weekends as our only available golfing time?

There's a few courses that have pretty reasonable twilight or afternoon times, but aside from that. Where does one play at 10AM on a Saturday and still get decent value?

It's pretty much a requirement to head out of the city for this, but I'd recommend D'Arcy Ranch and River's Edge in Okotoks first.

Royal Boulder in Langdon is $80 and Speargrass is $89 on the weekend.

D'Arcy Ranch is $99 to ride now, didn't know they raised their rates.

River's Edge is $82.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Played McCall Lake, first round in like 12 years so did not go ideally but there were things to build from..

Course condition: greens running fast and smooth. Fairways cut too close, overly dry, and hard to hit off with Calgary's clay rich soil. I preferred being in the fringe rough which was prime.

Bluebird day, massive sunburn, would play again

TaylorMade Burner 2009 9.5*

Ping i20 3W 15*

Ping G30 3H 19*

4-W Ping S55 Modus3 120S

52* Ping Glide

56* Ping Tour Gorge

60* Ping Glide 2 Stealth

Northwestern Tom Weiskopf-303 Anser clone

Royal Boulder in Langdon is $80 and Speargrass is $89 on the weekend.

D'Arcy Ranch is $99 to ride now, didn't know they raised their rates.

River's Edge is $82.

Might have to check out Langdon.

I LOVE D'Arcy, that's a shame that they raised their rates. Was pleasantly surprised by River's Edge when I played it for the first time last year. I love Speargrass, aside from the last 2 holes.

For the YEG folks around here, anyone have any conditions to report?

Only two I have are Sturgeon, which I played Saturday - it was in good shape overall but the greens were still a bit furry and slow, and they had 2 temp greens on 10 & 18 due to reno's. Played Riverside Monday and it was in great shape, greens were firm and true but again just slow, but I guess that's to be expected this time of year...hopefully this rain gets out quickly and we can get back to the nice weather ASAP!

These are the ones i played over last couple weeks, played a few others before but they all probably improved quite a bit since. Might go out to goose this weekend anyone know what the conditions are like there?

Coal Creeks is in great condition, greens excellent for early in the season and will be phenomenal in a couple weeks.

Leduc most the course was in pretty good shape, but the greens were pretty poor.

Stony plain greens are terrible

Legends was in decent shape, course is really good, greens were so so but definitely in line with normal early season greens.

Sandpiper was decent for early season.

Cheers for the updates, I'd heard the greens at Stony were a disaster, had a buddy play Alberta Open qualifying there and he said it was a joke. Disappointing as they are usually so nice...Was thinking about Legends when we ended up going with Sturgeon, may have to check it out as I haven't played there for a while...

In answer to your other question I'd thought about it but the two I would have played (Ranch & Quarry) I'm in Australia for, so no dice this year :S

I played in the Alberta Golf Tour event at Stewart Creek this past weekend, first one I've played in and it was awesome!

The course was in great shape for May and especially considering it snowed there last Wednesday... greens were pretty good, a bit grainy but I think that's typical there.

The organizers did a great job, I would recommend it to anyone that's interested in some friendly but legit competition.

I LOVE D'Arcy, that's a shame that they raised their rates. Was pleasantly surprised by River's Edge when I played it for the first time last year. I love Speargrass, aside from the last 2 holes.

Langdon is ok. Conditioning has been better than their other courses. Bugs are absolutely terrible at times. Possibly worse than Delacour.

River's Edge is a neat course. I've been playing in the Men's league out there for a few years now. I didn't like the course at first, but it's really grown on me. There such variety to the holes, you have to be able to work the ball both ways and it really forces you to make your shots. The bunkers are typically poor, but the fairways, tees and greens are usually superb.

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Langdon is ok. Conditioning has been better than their other courses. Bugs are absolutely terrible at times. Possibly worse than Delacour.

River's Edge is a neat course. I've been playing in the Men's league out there for a few years now. I didn't like the course at first, but it's really grown on me. There such variety to the holes, you have to be able to work the ball both ways and it really forces you to make your shots. The bunkers are typically poor, but the fairways, tees and greens are usually superb.

RE is good value, but some of the greens are always in bad shape. 2, 6, and 13 greens usually have some really bad spots with no signs of fixing them.

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

Agree with you completely on the hole design. How's the Men's league there? I've been thinking that it's time for me to get into one (next season obviously). That bi-weekly option seems appealing too. Feels like less of a commitment to one course, which leaves more time for other courses on the weekends. Reasonable drive from the SW too.

This weekend it's looking like Water Valley (value pick!) or Springbank. Gotta decide how much driving I feel like doing...

RE is good value, but some of the greens are always in bad shape. 2, 6, and 13 greens usually have some really bad spots with no signs of fixing them.

2 has a drainage issue that they have been working on. I don't remember anything that's wrong with 6, maybe you were thinking of #7?

13 is much better now they cut all of the trees down around the green.

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Agree with you completely on the hole design. How's the Men's league there? I've been thinking that it's time for me to get into one (next season obviously). That bi-weekly option seems appealing too. Feels like less of a commitment to one course, which leaves more time for other courses on the weekends. Reasonable drive from the SW too.

The men's league is fantastic, very well run, with good games. I play in the Wednesday night one. It's 20 nights of 9 hole shotgun for $600 and unlimited range and golf on Wednesday. They started snips this year and have had a deuce pot. Course is very walkable, so no need for the extra cart fee. Only issue is the pace is quite slow. Takes about 2:45 to play 9 as they have two groups off of every tee. They are working hard on it this year for a change.

If you live in the south, Nanton is reasonable for the drive. It's probably closer than Water Valley. The front is older parkland style and the back is a more recent links style. I think Les Furber did it.

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

I played in the Alberta Golf Tour event at Stewart Creek this past weekend, first one I've played in and it was awesome!

The course was in great shape for May and especially considering it snowed there last Wednesday... greens were pretty good, a bit grainy but I think that's typical there.

The organizers did a great job, I would recommend it to anyone that's interested in some friendly but legit competition.

I registered for the one at Redtail next Monday, first tournament so we'll see how it goes.

Played Redtail yesterday as well and its in amazing shape right now.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.5
fairways: Taylormade R11s 14
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19
Irons: Rocketbladez Tours 4-PW
Wedges: 52, 56, 60 titleist Vokey SM4
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Del Mar.

Buddy & I played the Olds Golf Club today, had a 2 for 1 paid $26.50 ea with 9:00 am start finished in 3.5 hrs. Track had some wind/tree damage but all cleaned up, greens were great, local Member said they will progressively get faster. As well, the 3 holes that were reconstructed (nice) are now open and in good shape. It was windy, drive on #2 went 298 Yds, wish this was normal, made a couple of Birdies and broke 80 .... it was a good day!

If you have the opportunity .... give this course a try.

D.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

Water Valley is in pretty good shape. I love that track. I do not know where Calgary courses are getting the idea that raising prices is a good idea. If anything, the lower the more people will play. Lynx had a deal after 4pm with cart for 40 bucks. I hope they do that again. Mind you the course is not as minty as normal. I wish yyc would be like yeg in terms of pricing. after Wolf Creek, golf is actually affordable to play.

Anyone play Athabasca before? Is it walkable?

I've played it a few times, I've never walked it but you can. Not a ton of distance between holes but quite a lot of elevation changes so you'll feel some burn on some holes. I love the course though, can play super tough.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.5
fairways: Taylormade R11s 14
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19
Irons: Rocketbladez Tours 4-PW
Wedges: 52, 56, 60 titleist Vokey SM4
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Del Mar.

Water Valley is in pretty good shape. I love that track. I do not know where Calgary courses are getting the idea that raising prices is a good idea. If anything, the lower the more people will play. Lynx had a deal after 4pm with cart for 40 bucks. I hope they do that again. Mind you the course is not as minty as normal. I wish yyc would be like yeg in terms of pricing. after Wolf Creek, golf is actually affordable to play.

I almost feel like some courses are starting to feel the effects of high green fees. Might not be any truth to it, but it seems like there's been way more email and social media rate breaks this year than in years past. Last weekend, Delacour had cheap weekend rates after 1PM I believe. I went to check their tee sheet after I saw the email, mid week, and almost the entirety of Saturday afternoon was open. Even the morning had a lot of openings.

I almost feel like some courses are starting to feel the effects of high green fees. Might not be any truth to it, but it seems like there's been way more email and social media rate breaks this year than in years past. Last weekend, Delacour had cheap weekend rates after 1PM I believe. I went to check their tee sheet after I saw the email, mid week, and almost the entirety of Saturday afternoon was open. Even the morning had a lot of openings.

Agreed, the week before the May long weekend I got emails from Delacour, River Spirit, Springbank, Elbow Springs...pretty much all the courses I've subscribed to.

Men's night at River Spirit has definitely been quieter than last year. Bad for the industry, great for those of us that pay to play!

Titleist TS2 - Diamana White S
Taylormade M4, 16.5*

Ping G410 Crossover 20*
Callaway Apex Pro 4-P
Titleist SM6/8 52*,56*,60*
Scotty Cameron Newport 

Kananaskis reopening .... I'm in, can hardly wait.

D.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

Played 72 over the last two days - 36 at Canyon Meadows, 18 at Gleneagles and 18 at Springbank Links. Canyon was in good shape, but their greens were frustratingly slow and uncharacteristically had a ton of ball marks and dead spots. Gleneagles was in great shape but had just done a top dress so greens were crazy slow. Springbank was in really nice shape. Very firm and greens had nice speed

Played 72 over the last two days - 36 at Canyon Meadows, 18 at Gleneagles and 18 at Springbank Links. Canyon was in good shape, but their greens were frustratingly slow and uncharacteristically had a ton of ball marks and dead spots. Gleneagles was in great shape but had just done a top dress so greens were crazy slow. Springbank was in really nice shape. Very firm and greens had nice speed

Strange to hear that about Canyon but I haven't been out there this year. I love that layout, so pure, 1B in the city for me

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Strange to hear that about Canyon but I haven't been out there this year. I love that layout, so pure, 1B in the city for me

I agree. That place is always mint. They did have all hands on deck treating them. Confident they'll have them back to pure sooner rather than later