2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Alberta Courses

6t4gt0

I hate Cougar Creek. The design doesn't agree with me at all.

Just played Dinosaur Trail. That was one of the most fun afternoons I've had in some time. I took the "go for everything" approach and just had fun; though playing target golf there and shooting a good score would be incredibly fulfilling as well.

Has anyone heard when The Quarry is going to open? It looks like an amazing design.

Shawnee Slopes in Calgary will be closed at the end of this season, it is an absolute travesty. The layout is really good and with the right maintenance and investment it could be a real gem. Its rare to find a nice, affordable course within the city limits nowadays. They are making a bunch of condos instead, how sad.

• 9 months later...

Kananaskis is the the best value in the province. I go out there with a couple buddies every year and play both courses.
Banff Springs is another course I play yearly but I like to wait until later in the season so the greens are in good shape.

As already stated..
[color=#282828]Sirocco[/color]
[color=#282828]Heritage Pointe[/color]
[color=#282828]D'arcy Ranch[/color]
[color=#282828]Redwood Meadows[/color]
[color=#282828]Silver Tip[/color]
[color=#282828]Wolf Creek[/color]

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus - 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 16.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 21* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8x  
Ping I20 (4 - GW) - KBS Tour 130 X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 56.14 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 60.10 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Scotty Phantom X 7  

Titleist Pro V1 Ball | NO1 50-PRO Grips | Nikon Coolshot Pro II Rangefinder

[quote name='JJFWebster' timestamp='1339360951' post='5062582']
Kananaskis is the the best value in the province. I go out there with a couple buddies every year and play both courses.
Banff Springs is another course I play yearly but I like to wait until later in the season so the greens are in good shape.

[/quote]

Kananaskis has 5 greens resodded on both courses right now, it's in rough shape. I might be playing banff tomorrow but they just had a snowstorm and the rivers really high so I don't know the situation. If I play it I'll come back here and update. I heard jasper is having issues with their greens right now as well but I dont know for sure.

Heritage pointe is in great shape right now as usual. And if anyone is looking for a great value the canal at delacour is cheap and the greens are mint.

That's all I have for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be staying in Canmore one night and in Banff for two nights in early July. I was thinking about playing either Stewart Creek or Silvertip in Canmore while I'm there and then playing Banff Springs (staying at the hotel). I'll be with the Mrs. otherwise I'd play both Stewart Creek and Silvertip, but if you had to choose, does anyone have any strong feelings about which of the two is better/more enjoyable?

Callaway Epic SZ 10.5* AD-BB S
Callaway Epic SZ 13.5* Kaili S
Callaway Apex 18* Kuro Kage S
Callaway Apex CF 4-A DG X100
Hogan 55*/60* KBS S
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

[quote name='Lenny Intensity' timestamp='1340330546' post='5145812']
I'm going to be staying in Canmore one night and in Banff for two nights in early July. I was thinking about playing either Stewart Creek or Silvertip in Canmore while I'm there and then playing Banff Springs (staying at the hotel). I'll be with the Mrs. otherwise I'd play both Stewart Creek and Silvertip, but if you had to choose, does anyone have any strong feelings about which of the two is better/more enjoyable?
[/quote]

Play stewart creek and DON'T PLAY SILVERTIP!

Silvertip is a weird golf course and while the views are cool it isn't that much fun. Stewart creek is a very good, very playable course that is usually in decent shape and the atmosphere and scenery are just as good as Silvertip.

Stewart Creek for sure. Straight forward course that is a blast to play.
Silvertip is "pretty" but tricked up for sure....although I've played it enough now to understand how to play it and score....

but as above, Stewart Creek is a no brainer.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

For Calgary area,

Redwood Meadows is best course around for semi private.
Elks is close second for me.I love tree lined courses
Canal at Delacour is beautiful conditioned for price but pretty bland lay out
Scirroco is pretty good too but for mid caps I would bring a pail of balls
Strathmore is another that is best deal around with maybe only 3 private courses in Alberta having better greens.
River Spirit is fun and in good shape.

Private courses for me go like this
Calgary GCC
Earl Grey
Canyon Meadows
Pridis
Glencoe Forest
Silver springs
Glencoe has the best practice facility in Canada
I worked at the Calgary GCC when I was 18. could never get bored of that place.
The Talons at Country Hills was 8 million wasted. The course was more playable and enjoyable before the reno. Great shape but who cares. Planes flying overhead every 3 minutes and 2 major roads intersect in the middle of the course. Forget peace and quite here...

I hate bearspaw
I think Hamptons is one of the worst courses I've ever played. The owner's a billionaire BUY A VERTICUTTER ALREADY!!!
Springbank links should be plowed under
Links ridge is quirky and fun but pretty easy to wack a house
valley ridge is ok for $75...too bad they want $110...

Avoid silver wing, heather glen, all city of Calgary courses except Maple Ridge (greens runs 5 though...)
don't even think of that place in Langdon
What else.....
Elbow springs is fun but pricey.
Fox Hollow is great if you have a death wish. Can't believe they can even afford insurance out there. bring your hard hat
Carstairs is pretty underratted. Perfect greens most years and fun layout.
Winter green is fun but they have drainage problems sometimes. Kind of an ugly step child to redwood and Priddis.

If you have only a couple must plays, go to Redwood, Elks, and beg or steal to get on the Calgary GCC. This is what old school country club golf is all about.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if anyone is checking this thread or not, but I'm looking a getting a membership for 2013 and wanted to see where most people would pay ~$3500 for a home course. I'm near SAIT, so playing Heritage Pointe(45min-1hr) is probably out of the question. It must have a solid practice facility as well, as some nights I won't be able to play a full 9/18. I'm also considering courses that are private/equity courses that offer a trial membership, ie Country Hills, and if I loved the course, would pick up an equity membership the following year.

What should be on my short list?

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1352935403' post='5935071']
Not sure if anyone is checking this thread or not, but I'm looking a getting a membership for 2013 and wanted to see where most people would pay ~$3500 for a home course. I'm near SAIT, so playing Heritage Pointe(45min-1hr) is probably out of the question. It must have a solid practice facility as well, as some nights I won't be able to play a full 9/18. I'm also considering courses that are private/equity courses that offer a trial membership, ie Country Hills, and if I loved the course, would pick up an equity membership the following year.

What should be on my short list?
[/quote]

Elks is around 3500 for a yearly invitational membership. the practice area is not the best though because the balls are partial flight...

Valley ridge is close to you but way too many tourney's...

country hills costs 3300 for a yearly. You get two courses and the conditions are perfect. Lots of air traffic though and the range drops 6 stories...

elbow springs isn't too far away and the practice area is pretty good.

One of the troubles with this city is that there are only a couple of good practice areas at any of the 60 or so courses. Glencoe is the best in the country but private and very pricey.

Earl grey is good too but hard to join.

I joined country hills for a year but didn't use the membership enough to justify the cost. hard to know what to tell you.

First off, thanks for the response. It was really helpful.

I played Valley Ridge twice and it seemed like a good course, although I played it on corporate passes that I purchased for $50 each. Their driving range was ok, but I was hitting off mats in Oct. Do you know if you hit off grass during the middle of the season?

I heard Elk's is great, but partial flight balls ruins it for me.

I'll look into Elbow Springs more. I haven't played or heard much about that place.

I agree that most courses in Calgary don't seem to have the high end practice areas that other cities enjoy. Heritage Pointe has a great one, but it's really far from my place. If I lived in Cranston, I would consider it. I'd love to join Glencoe but again it's really expensive and the wait list is absurdly long(I think you need to be a family member of a member to join at this point).

Country Hills seems like a good choice. I used to live nearby and the airplanes aren't that bad. I don't need a dead silent course, where you can hear the grass grow. But the facilities/practice area/courses there seem to be top notch. The major problem I have with this course is that I'll most likely playing on my own if I don't make friends there. The guys who I golf with are not too serious, and I doubt I could convince them to join with me. They might play the odd round as a guest, but no more than 3-4 times a season. Also, I suspect that at 28, I'll be one of the younger guys(everyone was much older when I went for my 913 fitting) and I'm not sure if that's going to be a barrier on finding people to play with there. How was the culture when you played there?

Should I just stick to driving ranges and play where ever my buddies are? I guess if I'm going to take golfing seriously next year, I need to join a course and make some friends with the regular members.

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1353308114' post='5952529']
First off, thanks for the response. It was really helpful.

I played Valley Ridge twice and it seemed like a good course, although I played it on corporate passes that I purchased for $50 each. Their driving range was ok, but I was hitting off mats in Oct. Do you know if you hit off grass during the middle of the season?

I heard Elk's is great, but partial flight balls ruins it for me.

I'll look into Elbow Springs more. I haven't played or heard much about that place.

I agree that most courses in Calgary don't seem to have the high end practice areas that other cities enjoy. Heritage Pointe has a great one, but it's really far from my place. If I lived in Cranston, I would consider it. I'd love to join Glencoe but again it's really expensive and the wait list is absurdly long(I think you need to be a family member of a member to join at this point).

Country Hills seems like a good choice. I used to live nearby and the airplanes aren't that bad. I don't need a dead silent course, where you can hear the grass grow. But the facilities/practice area/courses there seem to be top notch. The major problem I have with this course is that I'll most likely playing on my own if I don't make friends there. The guys who I golf with are not too serious, and I doubt I could convince them to join with me. They might play the odd round as a guest, but no more than 3-4 times a season. Also, I suspect that at 28, I'll be one of the younger guys(everyone was much older when I went for my 913 fitting) and I'm not sure if that's going to be a barrier on finding people to play with there. How was the culture when you played there?

Should I just stick to driving ranges and play where ever my buddies are? I guess if I'm going to take golfing seriously next year, I need to join a course and make some friends with the regular members.
[/quote]
there were actually quite a lot of guys under 50 out there that were pretty down to earth and liked playing with new players. If your handicap is 2 or under, there's a "no strokes" group that plays sat and sun and all you have to do is sign up and you'll meet a ton of great guys that are all low handicaps....

I would say that course is the best bet as far as course conditions and easy access. You can play there as a single later in the evenings all you want.

Definitely not that low of a handicap, just looking for place to make my game respectable.

I could also get a practice membership somewhere and play where ever my buddies are playing, but I like the idea of showing up to a course and whatever time to sneak in a quick 9.

[quote name='Ryan C' timestamp='1353815165' post='5975055']
What about Inglewood? Only 10-15 minutes from SAIT.
$3200 for an annual, solid course and decent practice area that has 2 putting greens, bunker, driving range.
[/quote]

Fun course nice people. I play there a lot. The range is mats only with partial flight balls but other than that, it's a good choice....

• 4 months later...

whitetail crossing is very challenging the feskew is rediculous. Great for the ultra conservative types.
Norther Bear, always great.
Cougar creek probably the best course last season
The quarry once fully developed will be amazing, but still impressive as it is right now, can really open it up and hit driver on most holes. Laying up not necessary.
Wolf creek play the new course not the old, its terrible.
Royal mayfair - meh...Good condition, good location...but meh..
Raven Crest - same as its been for the past 15 years.
Victoria - at least some of the cart girls are hot. Typically have good ball girls at the range.

• 2 weeks later...

This weather is depressing. Hopefully the courses open up quickly after the snow melts, so we can get in at least a couple rounds before mosquito season.

Titleist TS2 - Diamana White S
Taylormade M4, 16.5*

Ping G410 Crossover 20*
Callaway Apex Pro 4-P
Titleist SM6/8 52*,56*,60*
Scotty Cameron Newport 

Anyone know what the costs are involved to be a member at the Glencoe G&CC? Or is one of those, if you have to ask...you can't afford...

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1366605449' post='6891433']
[quote name='npham' timestamp='1366603996' post='6891295']
Anyone know what the costs are involved to be a member at the Glencoe G&CC? Or is one of those, if you have to ask...you can't afford...
[/quote]Waiting list. First you have to be a member of the down town club. You can inquire there...
[/quote]

Forget that idea then. I know a member at the DT club, and I had her ask her dad how much a membership is. Mind blowing. I played Blue Devil on Friday afternoon, it's not worth it after their spring rates go up to normal green fees. Temporary tee box for one hole, club house isn't done, no range, no par 3 course, etc. It's sort of like Valley Ridge. If you can get a deal, it's not bad. But I wouldn't play there again for a long while.

[/quote]Waiting list. First you have to be a member of the down town club. You can inquire there...
[/quote]

What is the downtown club?

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

[quote name='drake47' timestamp='1366673982' post='6896185']
[/quote]

What is the downtown club?
[/quote]

Glencoe has a downtown athletic club. It's off of elbow drive in mount royal. The golf courses are out on highway 8 past elbow springs and pinebrook.