Alberta Courses

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Decided to pull the trigger on the G425 Max, went out to the range & hit it with the stock shaft, amazing performance gained a bit of S/S & found it to be very forgiving on miss hits, it meets

We had 4 Moose show up on the Sylvan G&CC, the 2 young calf's were on our side of the fence while the Bull & Cow were practicing their putting. Had to open up the gate on 53 Ave for the 2 Calf

Travelled to Lethbridge today and played Henderson lake.    par 70   shot 74.    swing felt so good. Was great to get out! 

Posted Images

Did anyone get out and play this weekend?

Not I :-(

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 8º (8.75º) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 65s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º w/ Diamana TB 70s

Hybrid: Titleist TS3 @ 19º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Smoke Black 90s

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-6); MB-101 (7-PW) w/ MMT 105TX (ss*1)

Wedges: Artisan Raw @ 51º, 56º, 61º

Putter: Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

Did I ever. Apologies in advance for the commentary. :lol:

Played River Spirit (Spirit & Millburn) on Sunday. If you were anywhere in the lower part of the course (where most of Millburn and part of Spirit sit, by the Elbow River) in the mid afternoon, you may have heard me losing my mind after my first ever hole-in-one. Millburn #7 (elevated tee-box, plays about 130 from the blues). Pin in the back left. Perfectly struck 54 degree wedge. Hit center of the green. Bounced a couple times, rolled, hit the pin, and dropped. One of the most surreal moments of my life. Had a pretty decent round to top it off (44-40-84).

As far as course conditions are concerned, I was a little surprised at how brown a lot of the rough was, especially when you got close to the green. Some of the fringe was still completely dead and yellow. Greens were in good to great shape though. But really, how can I complain?

The guys from my men’s league group played McKenzie Meadows and said it was in decent shape. Greens were slowish, but the course wintered well.

D’Arcy Ranch punched today per Twitter, so might be best to stay away.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Hey there, wondering if you could expand on the quality of the Canal. Bummer to hear the greens did not weather well, they are usually the high point of this great tract. Scheduled to play out there this coming Sat hopefully a week of warmer temps and some rain will help.

Titleist TS2 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

TaylorMade M2 3 wood
Ping G5 4 Hybrid Grafalloy ProLuanch Blue Stiff
Titleist AP3 ProjectX LZ 6.0
Titleist Volkey SM7: 48,54
Odyssey Works #7

. . . you may have heard me losing my mind after my first ever hole-in-one. . . .

Congrats. Still waiting on my first one.

I've booked a tee time at The Canal for Saturday. I have to see what it's all about. Can't just practise, I suppose. Good luck to everyone this weekend.

NICE ACE!!!!!

canals greens are still fuzzy and they need water. they still role but not anything like they normally would. There are some patches that will clear up before they start pressing the greens. #2 is dead over half. They may have to replace those parts.

So crappy as it is one of my favs and all the folks who work there are fantastic. I am hoping for a quick fix with minimal effort. It will not keep me from playing there. Love it.

I would not expect greens to be pure after that winter. Some may have faired better than others for sure.

. . . you may have heard me losing my mind after my first ever hole-in-one. . . .

Congrats. Still waiting on my first one.

I've booked a tee time at The Canal for Saturday. I have to see what it's all about. Can't just practise, I suppose. Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Can anyone who has played at The Canal, offer any tips on how to get around best? Of course, "execution" can be completely different than "knowing" what to do

Did I ever. Apologies in advance for the commentary. :lol:

Played River Spirit (Spirit & Millburn) on Sunday. If you were anywhere in the lower part of the course (where most of Millburn and part of Spirit sit, by the Elbow River) in the mid afternoon, you may have heard me losing my mind after my first ever hole-in-one. Millburn #7 (elevated tee-box, plays about 130 from the blues). Pin in the back left. Perfectly struck 54 degree wedge. Hit center of the green. Bounced a couple times, rolled, hit the pin, and dropped. One of the most surreal moments of my life. Had a pretty decent round to top it off (44-40-84).

As far as course conditions are concerned, I was a little surprised at how brown a lot of the rough was, especially when you got close to the green. Some of the fringe was still completely dead and yellow. Greens were in good to great shape though. But really, how can I complain?

Congrats! That's awesome, still waiting for mine.

Glad to hear the greens are good at RS...playing first night of men's night today!

PING G400 Max 10*
Titleist 915F 16.5*
Titleist 910H 20.5*
Ping S55 4-PW
Cleveland RTX3 50.10*
Vokey SM6 F 54.14*
Ping Glide 60* TS
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7

What tips are you looking for. It will depend on the tee box you play. I can pull driver on most holes. The course is not the most difficult, its the greens that get ya.

Well, I guess on any new course you have to figure out where NOT to hit the ball, especially on any blind shots.

Given that this will be my first round (and with very little range time), I should probably play from the BLUE tees. Yeah, not expecting much from myself on the greens, just trying to prevent penalty shots by not knowing where I should try and hit the ball

Holes 2: Stay left or you are OB

3: Pipe one down the middle. You may want to hit FW or 250-60 club in the middle. Water on both sides

4-9 pretty much wide open and you can spray a little.

Back

Up until 16 you can spray a little, should be able to find em.

16: stay left, it is risk reward for a deep hitter.

17: I hit iron off the tee. Some guys can hit green with driver or fw. It is a tricky green so I rarely risk that shot as you can get into trouble.

18: anywhere but right.

You are playing a conservative tee box and based on what I see in your bag. You ought to be fine.

With the rain, some of those greens will be going well. I find Canals to be a bombers paradise if they are relatively straight. Approach and putting are more important. Bunkers are not fun too

Holes 2: Stay left or you are OB

3: Pipe one down the middle. You may want to hit FW or 250-60 club in the middle. Water on both sides

4-9 pretty much wide open and you can spray a little.

Back

Up until 16 you can spray a little, should be able to find em.

16: stay left, it is risk reward for a deep hitter.

17: I hit iron off the tee. Some guys can hit green with driver or fw. It is a tricky green so I rarely risk that shot as you can get into trouble.

18: anywhere but right.

You are playing a conservative tee box and based on what I see in your bag. You ought to be fine.

With the rain, some of those greens will be going well. I find Canals to be a bombers paradise if they are relatively straight. Approach and putting are more important. Bunkers are not fun too

Thank you. I will attempt to follow your directions. LOL And then, I'll deal with the "consequences" of my actions. Much obliged

Thanks for the update on the Canal. Looking forward to playing out there this Saturday even if there is some winter kill damage. The place is jut too good not to play.

Titleist TS2 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

TaylorMade M2 3 wood
Ping G5 4 Hybrid Grafalloy ProLuanch Blue Stiff
Titleist AP3 ProjectX LZ 6.0
Titleist Volkey SM7: 48,54
Odyssey Works #7

Thanks for the update on the Canal. Looking forward to playing out there this Saturday even if there is some winter kill damage. The place is jut too good not to play.

Good luck on your Saturday round

. . .

So the jist of my advice, stay in the FW and hit GIR's. Haha, sage advice there.

Can you write that down on a sticky-note for me please? lol

Played Red Tail on Friday and The Quarry yesterday. The greens at the Quarry were pristine, i was very surprised

Played the Bear yesterday; greens took a huge hit, they are the worst I've seen them. No grass and/or super patchy. Not sure how long it's going to take them to grow in. Very unfortunate.

Titleist TS2 - Diamana White S
Taylormade M4, 16.5*

Ping G410 Crossover 20*
Callaway Apex Pro 4-P
Titleist SM6/8 52*,56*,60*
Scotty Cameron Newport 

Men's league cancelled :(

Yeah, not pleasant out there for sure.

Has anyone been out to Serenity yet this year? A buddy of mine booked a time for Saturday morning, says there's a spot for me if I want it. I played there last year and enjoyed it. Neat layout, greens were great, but definitely needed to grow in some more. Tee boxes were hard as a rock, and a lot of the rough was still pretty rutted.

Has anyone been out to Serenity yet this year? A buddy of mine booked a time for Saturday morning, says there's a spot for me if I want it. I played there last year and enjoyed it. Neat layout, greens were great, but definitely needed to grow in some more. Tee boxes were hard as a rock, and a lot of the rough was still pretty rutted.

Honestly, didn't even know it existed. You might as well go, and give us an update ;-)