Alberta Courses

6t4gt0

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1366674635' post='6896269']
[quote name='drake47' timestamp='1366673982' post='6896185']
[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1366605449' post='6891433']
[quote name='npham' timestamp='1366603996' post='6891295']
Anyone know what the costs are involved to be a member at the Glencoe G&CC? Or is one of those, if you have to ask...you can't afford...
[/quote]Waiting list. First you have to be a member of the down town club. You can inquire there...
[/quote]

What is the downtown club?
[/quote]

Glencoe has a downtown athletic club. It's off of elbow drive in mount royal. The golf courses are out on highway 8 past elbow springs and pinebrook.
[/quote]

I got an email back from the Glencoe, and it's not as bad as I thought. It's too long to go through on here, but if anyone wants the info just PM me your email address and I will forward it along.

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

Glencoe is a great place to have if membership if you have the money. I have has the privilege of being a member out there since I was 7 and I truly love the golf and the downtown club. Great practice facility, 45 holes, easy to get a time and good pace of play. If you do t mind a little waiting on the list then no problem. I believe the wait is still really long at the DT but not as bad at the Golf Club.

SLDR 10.5 Fujikura 757 X
X2 Hot 3 Deep Kiyoshi Purple 75 X
Adams DHY Motore Speeder 8.8 S
Miura CB 501 4-PW KBS Tour V X
Callaway MD 2 52,56,60 KBS Tour X
Scotty Cameron Squareback or Futura X

[quote name='adam.knudson' timestamp='1366789086' post='6906171']
Glencoe is a great place to have if membership if you have the money. I have has the privilege of being a member out there since I was 7 and I truly love the golf and the downtown club. Great practice facility, 45 holes, easy to get a time and good pace of play. If you do t mind a little waiting on the list then no problem. I believe the wait is still really long at the DT but not as bad at the Golf Club.
[/quote]

I was reading through the info about how many rounds you have access to, but it seemed like you are only allowed to play 14 rounds. Did I mis-read that, and those 14 rounds are actually rounds that you have guests for?

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bmc1979' timestamp='1367947754' post='6986416']
Anybody played Blue Devil here in Calgary? I've got a tee time for Friday and it's my first time going to this course. Just wondering what I can expect.
[/quote]

Really great greens. Already rolling 9 on the stimp and smooth.

Course is long but wide open. Can blow like a mother and there's construction all around so if it gets windy, prepare to get sand blasted.

Pretty fun over all.

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1367988261' post='6990132']
Anybody played Blue Devil here in Calgary? I've got a tee time for Friday and it's my first time going to this course. Just wondering what I can expect.
[/quote]

Course is long but wide open. Can blow like a mother and there's construction all around so if it gets windy, prepare to get sand blasted.

Pretty fun over all.
[/quote]

Thanks for replying.

Do you know if the range or practice area is open yet? I noticed both on the site and the confirmation email saying they would be open this year but the site says Spring 2013 and the confirmation email said Summer 2013.

[quote name='bmc1979' timestamp='1368020863' post='6991358']
[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1367988261' post='6990132']
[/quote]

Pretty fun over all.
[/quote]

Thanks for replying.

Do you know if the range or practice area is open yet? I noticed both on the site and the confirmation email saying they would be open this year but the site says Spring 2013 and the confirmation email said Summer 2013.
[/quote]no range or putting green even yet

• 4 weeks later...

Coal creek was a lot of fun and well worth a play in my opinion.

Cool property, super cool layout....LOTS of memorable holes.

Too bad it's so far out!

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

Played Trestle Creek this past Sunday June 9th, 2013 its a tough little track. It's hard to tell from their website but only 9 holes are open right now and the next nine is slated to be open in a year. The driving range should be open by mid July and the chipping and putting area is still growing in. The first hole is a 410 par 4 with a creek cutting across the fairway at 270 yds from the tips. Also a couple of really long par 5's and the 9th is a 317 yard par 4 surrounded by bunkers. Water comes into play on most of the holes in some fashion. Greens were firm and fast in the cold wind. I would go back and play again the food in the restaurant is also really solid and the staff is friendly.

KZG "Q" Matrix 6M3 Black Tie
KZG CH III 4 wood
KZG Tour 370 22* Hybrid
4-PW KZG MA1 KBS C-Taper Stiff
KZG MWC-I 52 56 KBS C-Taper Stiff
Odyssey Versa 2ball Super Stroke Fatso

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1366691102' post='6898149']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1366674635' post='6896269']
[quote name='drake47' timestamp='1366673982' post='6896185']
[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1366605449' post='6891433']
[quote name='npham' timestamp='1366603996' post='6891295']
Anyone know what the costs are involved to be a member at the Glencoe G&CC? Or is one of those, if you have to ask...you can't afford...
[/quote]Waiting list. First you have to be a member of the down town club. You can inquire there...
[/quote]

What is the downtown club?
[/quote]

Glencoe has a downtown athletic club. It's off of elbow drive in mount royal. The golf courses are out on highway 8 past elbow springs and pinebrook.
[/quote]

I got an email back from the Glencoe, and it's not as bad as I thought. It's too long to go through on here, but if anyone wants the info just PM me your email address and I will forward it along.
[/quote]

They printed in the Herald a couple weeks ago that the wait for the golf club was only 2-3 years, while the athletic club was 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sikoram' timestamp='1372277130' post='7329630']
It looks like the flooding in Calgary has shut down a number of courses on the rivers in the area. As well, Kananaskis Country's two courses will not open this year due to the devastating floods
[/quote] This is absolutley devastating. Hope they can get it back to where it was in the future.

[quote name='murraycronk' timestamp='1372392291' post='7339604']
It looks like the flooding in Calgary has shut down a number of courses on the rivers in the area. As well, Kananaskis Country's two courses will not open this year due to the devastating floods
[/quote] This is absolutley devastating. Hope they can get it back to where it was in the future.
[/quote]

Sadly, it might not reopen at all. :(

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1372479170' post='7346312']
[quote name='murraycronk' timestamp='1372392291' post='7339604']
[/quote]

Sadly, it might not reopen at all. :(
[/quote]Why would they not open it again? Were they not making money? How many holes were damaged?

Cost.

Heard it was about a $80mil ticket to build the 2 courses long ago.....seeing how it's government owned can't see many politicians wanting to die on that hill...

The Kananaskis golf complex brings millions into the area each year. The courses are always rated among the best in the country. Hotels, restaurants, shops in the area rely heavily on the revenue brought in by travelers staying to play golf.

I'm getting tired of hearing people say "who gives a sh^t about golf at a time like this when other people's houses are destroyed. "
Well hundreds of people have lost their jobs too. Tourism is an enormous industry here. Where do these people think the government funding they're asking for comes from? The thin air?

I don't think it should be a situation of pushing guilt and blame on the people that were hit "less hard." Everyone should keep the big picture in mind that without the help of everyone, noone will get help.

As an example to those that think golf is irrelevant in a time like this: The Hamptons sent 3 crews of guys and equipment (at their own cost) over to multiple sites in the city to help with flood cleanup. The cost per day would be close to 3 grand per crew.
I know of 3 other courses that are holding charity events later this month and donating all of the money to high river flood victims that didn't have insurance.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had the stupidest conversation with a guy that said that they should bulldoze all golf courses and give the land to flood victims.
Those courses are generating revenue every day that the government uses to help people in times like this. Not to mention creating jobs.

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1373469275' post='7424376']
The Kananaskis golf complex brings millions into the area each year. The courses are always rated among the best in the country. Hotels, restaurants, shops in the area rely heavily on the revenue brought in by travelers staying to play golf.

I'm getting tired of hearing people say "who gives a sh^t about golf at a time like this when other people's houses are destroyed. "
Well hundreds of people have lost their jobs too. Tourism is an enormous industry here. Where do these people think the government funding they're asking for comes from? The thin air?

I don't think it should be a situation of pushing guilt and blame on the people that were hit "less hard." Everyone should keep the big picture in mind that without the help of everyone, noone will get help.

As an example to those that think golf is irrelevant in a time like this: The Hamptons sent 3 crews of guys and equipment (at their own cost) over to multiple sites in the city to help with flood cleanup. The cost per day would be close to 3 grand per crew.
I know of 3 other courses that are holding charity events later this month and donating all of the money to high river flood victims that didn't have insurance.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had the stupidest conversation with a guy that said that they should bulldoze all golf courses and give the land to flood victims.
Those courses are generating revenue every day that the government uses to help people in times like this. Not to mention creating jobs.
[/quote]

I strongly believe that Kananaskis, both the park and golf courses, is an invaluable resource to our province.

I will disagree with the impact on the staff. While I do realize that there are a very few locals who work there (who I HOPE were assisted first in finding work locally) the majority of the staff come from locations across the country and world. Sorry, but in this situation, priority goes to assisting locals, whether it be in Kananaskis, Canmore, Calgary or High River.

How can you possibly justify spending millions on golf courses when there are so many people that lost everything???

You've already stated that nobody lost there home in Kananaskis. The same isn't true in the other affected areas, some of whom I know personally. I don't think you understand the impact of losing everything you have versus saving some golf courses. The government should spend millions on a golf course without paying for homes for everyone? I think not.

Restoring full access throughout Kananaskis is important, but, as much as it pains me to say it, rebuilding Kidd and Lorette isn't.

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1373488479' post='7426850']

[/quote]

I strongly believe that Kananaskis, both the park and golf courses, is an invaluable resource to our province.

I will disagree with the impact on the staff. While I do realize that there are a very few locals who work there (who I HOPE were assisted first in finding work locally) the majority of the staff come from locations across the country and world. Sorry, but in this situation, priority goes to assisting locals, whether it be in Kananaskis, Canmore, Calgary or High River.

How can you possibly justify spending millions on golf courses when there are so many people that lost everything???

You've already stated that nobody lost there home in Kananaskis. The same isn't true in the other affected areas, some of whom I know personally. I don't think you understand the impact of losing everything you have versus saving some golf courses. The government should spend millions on a golf course without paying for homes for everyone? I think not.

Restoring full access throughout Kananaskis is important, but, as much as it pains me to say it, rebuilding Kidd and Lorette isn't.
[/quote]

Not sure what you're talking about. At no place in my rant did I say the courses should be rebuilt. I also never said anyone at Kananaskis didn't lose their house. Read what I said before you respond maybe?

As far as me not "understanding" the impact of losing everything, I've lost a house to both a flood and a fire so I have a bit of an idea...

The point of my post was that people seem to think that the government just has money. As if it just comes from the thin air. It comes from taxing spending and taxing businesses. With out these business and without people spending money, there is no magic money.

Golf courses and the business that support and are supported by them contribute to the money that will help people rebuild. A person saying that "all courses should be bulldozed and the land given to people who lost their homes" are bordering on communist to me.

I obviously think that there are priorities but the idea that golf should be punished for the flood is idiotic to me.

Maybe a political forum is more of the place for this debate....

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1373513217' post='7429520']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure what you're talking about. At no place in my rant did I say the courses should be rebuilt. I also never said anyone at Kananaskis didn't lose their house. Read what I said before you respond maybe?

As far as me not "understanding" the impact of losing everything, I've lost a house to both a flood and a fire so I have a bit of an idea...

The point of my post was that people seem to think that the government just has money. As if it just comes from the thin air. It comes from taxing spending and taxing businesses. With out these business and without people spending money, there is no magic money.

Golf courses and the business that support and are supported by them contribute to the money that will help people rebuild. A person saying that "all courses should be bulldozed and the land given to people who lost their homes" are bordering on communist to me.

I obviously think that there are priorities but the idea that golf should be punished for the flood is idiotic to me.

Maybe a political forum is more of the place for this debate....
[/quote]

Sorry, I mixed you up with another local K-country poster regarding no houses being destroyed.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/867724-kananaskis-country-golf-course-closed-for-the-season/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/867724-kananaskis-country-golf-course-closed-for-the-season/[/url]

You are naïve to think that the Kananaskis golf courses bring significant dollars to the AB gov't. They certainly contribute to the economy but aren't major tax contributors. You think Kan-Alta runs it out of the goodness of their heart? Hardly, it's a heavily subsidized business. The reality of AB is that oil pays for everything (here and across the country).

How is golf being punished? If someone with very deep pockets wants to step up and save the courses, great. Until then, gov't dollars should be funding the relocation and restabilization of the hundreds of people that lost everything. Your post certainly suggests that you view the golf courses as a priority.

Your best hope is that the Feds step in and spend a ridiculous amount of money unnecessarily like our $30M rink in Banff that they paid for.

[/quote]

[/quote] Your wrong and I wont even apologize for being blunt. I and many of my friends lost our homes in the Slave lake fire in 2011. If our golf course was lost myself and many would have left town for good. I believe a golf course is a strong foundation for a community. Also don't forget people should have had their own insurance to cover there costs, and if they didn't as bad as I feel that was their own fault. Coming from experience here most had insurance.

Your jumping to fast to say screw the golf courses in time you will change your mind. Within time most in the area will have rebuilt and be happy to go for a round in Kananaskis.

[quote name='murraycronk' timestamp='1373553804' post='7431512']

[/quote]

[/quote] Your wrong and I wont even apologize for being blunt. I and many of my friends lost our homes in the Slave lake fire in 2011. If our golf course was lost myself and many would have left town for good. I believe a golf course is a strong foundation for a community. Also don't forget people should have had their own insurance to cover there costs, and if they didn't as bad as I feel that was their own fault. Coming from experience here most had insurance.

Your jumping to fast to say screw the golf courses in time you will change your mind. Within time most in the area will have rebuilt and be happy to go for a round in Kananaskis.
[/quote]

Guess what?

You have no idea what you're talking about.

The floods are considered an "Act of God" and insurance doesn't cover it. Portions can get covered due to sewage back up but flood damage doesn't qualify. That is why people have lost EVERYTHING. The funds the government can provide will never fully replace those losses.

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1373558336' post='7432118']
[quote name='murraycronk' timestamp='1373553804' post='7431512']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Guess what?

You have no idea what you're talking about.

The floods are considered an "Act of God" and insurance doesn't cover it. Portions can get covered due to sewage back up but flood damage doesn't qualify. That is why people have lost EVERYTHING. The funds the government can provide will never fully replace those losses.
[/quote]Slave Lake also flooded in 1988 and most houses were covered due to the sewer back up. I do not wish a flood on anyone the clean up would be awful but believe me when I say people will still need to live! You can purchase flood insurance also!

Spent some time touring the course today. Really, really sad to see the devastation up close. First two pics are from the lookout up by the putting green with the last one being the driving range from the tee area. The range picker is buried in the rock still. :(

For those in the area, they have a fantastic sale in the pro shop trying to clear out their inventory, including clubs and apparel.

• 2 weeks later...

No floods in Edmonton, mostly in the Calgary, Canmore, High River, etc. areas.

I hear Jasper and Banff are fine.