2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Alberta Courses

6t4gt0

So what's the beef with silvertip? Couple wonky holes or a lot of wonky holes? Or just a purist dislike of resort style mountain courses that try to wow you with sweeping views from elevated tee boxes, forced carries, blind shots and target type shots required.. instead of flat holes where the difficulty comes from avoiding perfectly placed fairway and greenside bunkers?

Because i like the former so long as there's not too much wonkiness, blind shots, weirdly placed carries, etc.. i've played a couple par 5's where you bomb your drive but then have to lay up 130 yards for your third shot because there's a 80 yard bog or lake before the green. Or holes where you have to hit a perfectly placed 6i off the tee, blind, or else you'll end up in some mid fairway ravine you have to hit over on your second shot. it's not a bunch of holes like that is it?

I don't think its that bad. You just simply have to play it to see. You will step on the first tee and think this is the worst course you have ever seen. It is that 6 iron off the tee, and a wedge down the hill. You will think its stupid. Then you will wheel up to 2 tee and it becomes amazing. Yes, there are a few stupid shots, but there are shots you won't get anywhere else in the world. Par 3's are all awesome, Par 5's are all pretty good. There are a few short weird Par 4's where you can't or shouldn't hit driver off the tee. But overall, its a really fun experience. If you google photos of it you will see.

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

Played out at Langdon today. Course is pretty rough around the edges, fairways and tees need a lot of work. Greens were excellent, decent speed and very smooth, the only exception would be #9, which is in pretty rough shape. 

Hope the new ownership does well this year. Nice to see them putting in the work that the course needs to get back to top condition. 

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Played sirroco this morning. Man I love that course. I was a member there in 2014 and I miss it.

such a tough track. 76 from the black/blue combo tees 

was went +3 in my last 4 holes due to a couple lazy tee shots. 

great shape. Very lush. Hit it in the sticks there you are not finding it. 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

1 hour ago, Kale_m said:

Played sirroco this morning. Man I love that course. I was a member there in 2014 and I miss it.

such a tough track. 76 from the black/blue combo tees 

was went +3 in my last 4 holes due to a couple lazy tee shots. 

great shape. Very lush. Hit it in the sticks there you are not finding it. 

I witnessed a 59 off the tips. 

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

22 minutes ago, Double K said:

I witnessed a 59 off the tips. 

Well yah, a tour event. 

tough track for us non pros 

Tri-hot double wide 

3 hours ago, Kale_m said:

Well yah, a tour event. 

tough track for us non pros 

Definitely. I've not sniffed 80. 

10, 11 and 18 are dumb. The front is really fun though. Not many courses have grainy greens like sirocco either. 

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

16 minutes ago, Double K said:

Definitely. I've not sniffed 80. 

10, 11 and 18 are dumb. The front is really fun though. Not many courses have grainy greens like sirocco either. 

10 is dumb. I don’t mind 11 (easy for me as I can knock it on or around the green from the back tees.) 

18 is alright. Very tough finishing hole. Especially in the wind. 

I think 2 is dumber then 11. Cut the trees back or build the new tee box in the trees off to the right like they planned a long time ago. 

greens are tough.  Need to be on the right tier for sure. Like how you can’t just bang driver every hole, have to think your way around. Hit almost every club in the bag. 

Tri-hot double wide 

Yesterday was so tough to play in. I could not imagine how Sirroco played, that is a challenging track. Glad to hear its in good shape. 

Good to see you fella's getting out more! Get yer times for the weekend (if you like playing 5 hour rounds) it looks to be hot again. I am so happy, Ill take the few extra yards. The wind this year like last is becoming annoying though. I am not too sure what to hit when its calm...

14 hours ago, specimania said:

Yesterday was so tough to play in. I could not imagine how Sirroco played, that is a challenging track. Glad to hear its in good shape. 

Good to see you fella's getting out more! Get yer times for the weekend (if you like playing 5 hour rounds) it looks to be hot again. I am so happy, Ill take the few extra yards. The wind this year like last is becoming annoying though. I am not too sure what to hit when its calm...

Zero wind for most of the round. Was picking up 16 

Tri-hot double wide 

Got 18 in tonight at River's Edge. 

Course is pure right now. Greens are as good as I've played this year.

It's hands down the best bang for your buck in the Calgary area. Extremely walkable and a decent, ableit gimmicky, test of golf. 

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

18 hours ago, Double K said:

Got 18 in tonight at River's Edge. 

Course is pure right now. Greens are as good as I've played this year.

It's hands down the best bang for your buck in the Calgary area. Extremely walkable and a decent, ableit gimmicky, test of golf. 

I will have to get out and play it again one day. Was in good shape when I played it other then those holes in the trees down below. Was like hitting off hard pan dirt. 

but would love to try it our again! 

Tri-hot double wide 

Played delacour tonight at 5pm. Man it was beautiful out and that course is the best conditioned course I have played all season. Love it out there. Everything is perfect right now. 72 from the tips tonight. Need to dial in the lag putting a touch 

Tri-hot double wide 

3 minutes ago, Kale_m said:

Played delacour tonight at 5pm. Man it was beautiful out and that course is the best conditioned course I have played all season. Love it out there. Everything is perfect right now. 72 from the tips tonight. Need to dial in the lag putting a touch 

Or hit it closer. . . .

How was #2 green?

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

6 hours ago, Double K said:

Or hit it closer. . . .

How was #2 green?

It is perfect now. Looks great! 

they removed a bunch of trees on 2. Looks really good off the tee. Can almost see the green from the back tee now. Was a tight tee shot before with almost a blind landing. I like the change 

there is also a new tee box on 15. Not open yet. Puts the yardage from the back box at 185 to the Center. 

Edited by Kale_m
  • Like 1

Tri-hot double wide 

Forgot I had a couple pics of #2. 

off the back tee and one of the green

58894795-F034-41FB-BE72-A6713ACE29E0.jpeg

9B688B1D-EF47-4AF5-A16B-84DCCB691C0D.jpeg

• Like 1

Tri-hot double wide 

Played Vulcan Golf Course today. Parents have a place nearby so it was a quick to get there. Not a quick round tho and i don't think i'll be returning soon. Interesting layout, Front 9 built in like 1923 so fairly relaxed and tree lined. Greens were in rough shape tho. 

Back 9 is newer built 1996 i think. Links design. Greens were better but still pretty terrible. Not worth the $70. 

Playing Speargrass tmr tho! Should be a lot better i think, eh. Anybody been out there recently? 

4 hours ago, InvalidConflict said:

Played Vulcan Golf Course today. Parents have a place nearby so it was a quick to get there. Not a quick round tho and i don't think i'll be returning soon. Interesting layout, Front 9 built in like 1923 so fairly relaxed and tree lined. Greens were in rough shape tho. 

Back 9 is newer built 1996 i think. Links design. Greens were better but still pretty terrible. Not worth the $70. 

Playing Speargrass tmr tho! Should be a lot better i think, eh. Anybody been out there recently? 

Speargrass is always in good condition! Greens were awesome last time I was out there! 

Tri-hot double wide 

I played at Trestle Creek on Saturday, 45 minutes west of Edmonton.

It is built as an RV park kind of place but has water slides, a little beach, zip lines, pickle ball etc etc. 

The golf course is fairly tricked up, I guess some would say, some really wild greens with undulations and mounds, triple breaker putts, 3 tiers, bowls....I like it, some might not.

We played 2 games, the first went well, and the 2nd game we were at the 8 green in 2 hours, which is about right, but we could see all 3 groups in front of us on the 9th t. We knew they all knew each other as the 4 women in front of us were with the 4 guys in front of them, who knew the 5 guys in front of them. We thought maybe they were all just playing 9 together and then leaving. Nope, got to the 10 t and there was 4 groups. wtf

to cut to the point, 2nd game.... first 8 holes = 2 hours, last 10 holes = 3.5 hours for a 5 1/2 hour round. brutal.

We think because there are just so many people there, that people might have been just been jumping on and playing, hard to believe but don't have many other explanations for it.

Edited by canuckhacker
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, canuckhacker said:

I played at Trestle Creek on Saturday, 45 minutes west of Edmonton.

It is built as an RV park kind of place but has water slides, a little beach, zip lines, pickle ball etc etc. 

The golf course is fairly tricked up, I guess some would say, some really wild greens with undulations and mounds, triple breaker putts, 3 tiers, bowls....I like it, some might not.

We played 2 games, the first went well, and the 2nd game we were at the 8 green in 2 hours, which is about right, but we could see all 3 groups in front of us on the 9th t. We knew they all knew each other as the 4 women in front of us were with the 4 guys in front of them, who knew the 5 guys in front of them. We thought maybe they were all just playing 9 together and then leaving. Nope, got to the 10 t and there was 4 groups. wtf

to cut to the point, 2nd game.... first 8 holes = 2 hours, last 10 holes = 3.5 hours for a 5 1/2 hour round. brutal.

We think because there are just so many people there, that people might have been just been jumping on and playing, hard to believe but don't have many other explanations for it.

You didn’t call the clubhouse or ask to atleast play through? 

I would have launched one over their heads. That usually gets the point across …

Tri-hot double wide 

20 hours ago, Kale_m said:

You didn’t call the clubhouse or ask to atleast play through? 

I would have launched one over their heads. That usually gets the point across …

well, no,  there were groups ahead as far as we could see, I don't think it was a case of any groups being behind, like I said, not very sure what happened other than things slowed down to an unbearable pace.

One guy went into the pro shop and asked if it was normal to have 5 groups on the 10 th t, and then we saw some young girl, go check  things out. We saw a marshal on about 13 and he seemed oblivious. said weekends were slow

13 minutes ago, canuckhacker said:

well, no,  there were groups ahead as far as we could see, I don't think it was a case of any groups being behind, like I said, not very sure what happened other than things slowed down to an unbearable pace.

One guy went into the pro shop and asked if it was normal to have 5 groups on the 10 th t, and then we saw some young girl, go check  things out. We saw a marshal on about 13 and he seemed oblivious. said weekends were slow

Sorry I misread that. I thought you meant they were playing in a 12 some . 

Tri-hot double wide 

Calgary Recommended Golf Teachers:

Reaching out to the Calgary WRX community re: a recommended golf teacher in Calgary. I have lost my swing esp with driver and I need help getting it back. Hopefully an improved version.

Looking forward to your recommendations.

Cheers,

Dexter

Titleist TS2 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

TaylorMade M2 3 wood
Ping G5 4 Hybrid Grafalloy ProLuanch Blue Stiff
Titleist AP3 ProjectX LZ 6.0
Titleist Volkey SM7: 48,54
Odyssey Works #7

Got a little rain about 1 hr ago, the morning men's league got a bit wet. See the blue flag just over the Angel, #18 green.

D.

20210615_103617_resized (002).jpg

20210615_103837_resized (002).jpg

20210615_103821_resized (002).jpg

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

49 minutes ago, canuckhacker said:

that's a lot of rain.

does that stream normally go through your  back yard?

Only when Noah starts working on his Ark ... very rare. 

I'm staining my deck rails & didn't have the rain gauge out, my guess close to 2" in less than 1 hour with lots a pea size hail that beat up the plants.  It missed Red Deer was headed towards Edm.

EDIT: another pic our flood way ditch goes under Lakeshore Drive and dumps into Sylvan.

Cheers

David

20210615_103907_resized (002).jpg

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

ok, it came close to edmonton but has since passed, 

seems pretty frequent these days that there is lightening and heavy rains in the forecast but it just misses. Happened last night too while I had the privilege to play at Edmonton Petroleum club. Really dark to the east when I left. temps are reaching high 20's and into 30's and humid. perfect for lightening and heavy rains.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DexterC said:

Calgary Recommended Golf Teachers:

Reaching out to the Calgary WRX community re: a recommended golf teacher in Calgary. I have lost my swing esp with driver and I need help getting it back. Hopefully an improved version.

Looking forward to your recommendations.

Cheers,

Dexter

Now that I have a membership, I'm using one of the Pro's (Shaun Luopa) there, but before this I spent time with Terry Carter (National Golf Academy - McLeod Golf Dome).  That would be the only recommendation I have for you. 

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled