Seller cancels transaction due to shipping cost of bag, acceptable?

Titleist_242

I'm actually in the market for a new cart/staff bag, and won't buy from eBay or BST because I'm ascared of what shipping costs will be. When I'm ready, I'll bite the bullet and wait for an actual online retailer to offer free shipping on orders over $xxx.xx.

I think the seller made an honest mistake, made the buyer whole in a quick fashion, and both parties should just move on? Where are you getting that he "got a better deal locally"? He didn't wait 3 weeks or so, in fact if I read it correctly he said he'd rather sell locally to avoid such a high shipping cost?

"I buy a titleist bag for $110 shipped on Friday, Seller messages me saturday saying he'll refund my money because he underestimated shipping costs and that he'd rather sell locally."

Sure it sucks for OP, and I'll get blocked from a lot of people for saying this, but I just don't see it as being all that wrong on the whole.

Now, the fact that he wasn't even willing to work with OP on re-negotiated shipping costs, and has just gone silent is not good form, and I agree with many other posters: know your POTENTIAL shipping costs when factoring in your minimum you'll accept. I've eaten it on a few things, but can understand why some wouldn't/can't.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

meh it sucks but I sold a bag years ago to a buyer in Hawaii of all places. cost quite a bit and learned my lesson to price it right.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I have read through this thread and want to respond.

While I did not go in person to USPS, FedEx, or UPS before I listed the bag, I did do online quotes to all three (weight and dimensions included) and felt I could ship the bag for $25-26 via USPS. When I went in person, to two different post offices, I was quoted $60+. I then went to UPS and FedEx and the cheapest between the two of them was $82. I was shocked and embarrassed that I had miscalculated so badly. I contacted the buyer, explained my findings, apologized for not doing my due diligence, and refunded the payment. I only mentioned I would try to sell it locally because I could not imagine being able to ship it for a reasonable amount. I did not accept a higher offer or ignore the buyer and still have the bag in my possession.

I understand the buyer is disappointed. I would be too. I apologized for not doing the legwork on shipping before listing it at the asking price and refunded his money promptly. That said, I stand by my decision and have learned from it. If that results in negative feedback, I will accept that.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I learned the same lesson maybe 10 years ago when I sold a taylor made bag for pennies with free shipping. Shipping cost me more than i made on sale. I continued the deal 1 because i was never gonna use it and 2 because i gave my word. I also understand the seller in this situation as none wants to lose that kinda money on a sale.

I have read through this thread and want to respond.

While I did not go in person to USPS, FedEx, or UPS before I listed the bag, I did do online quotes to all three (weight and dimensions included) and felt I could ship the bag for $25-26 via USPS. When I went in person, to two different post offices, I was quoted $60+. I then went to UPS and FedEx and the cheapest between the two of them was $82. I was shocked and embarrassed that I had miscalculated so badly. I contacted the buyer, explained my findings, apologized for not doing my due diligence, and refunded the payment. I only mentioned I would try to sell it locally because I could not imagine being able to ship it for a reasonable amount. I did not accept a higher offer or ignore the buyer and still have the bag in my possession.

I understand the buyer is disappointed. I would be too. I apologized for not doing the legwork on shipping before listing it at the asking price and refunded his money promptly. That said, I stand by my decision and have learned from it. If that results in negative feedback, I will accept that.

I'd do business with you in a heartbeat.

Honest mistake.

Veteran member.

Comes in and replies truthfully.

I'd just chalk it up to an "Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be mine" and move on. Or, if I really wanted the bag I might actually attempt to meet in the middle of that actual inflated shipping price - if the deal was still a great one that is.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I have seen countless ads on this site that say something to the effect of "add $10 for west of the Mississippi" or something of that nature. As a seller, before you sell something you should think about all potential buyers and tailor the ad accordingly. It's clear he found a better deal locally and backed out, and was 100% wrong in doing so. The fact that he wouldn't even work with the OP on the price after backing out is even worse. Like many have already posted in this thread, I would leave negative feedback. There is no place on the BST for these types of antics once a deal has been made.

This isnt that serious and you're doing a lot of assuming, and you know what they say about that.. We aren't selling kidneys to needy people, it's golf equipment. The bag wasn't shipped and the money returned, stores do this kind of thing and it's not a big deal. I'd honestly not have an issue if it was me and the seller came to me, refunded and said I can save 60 bucks by not shipping and sellin locally....makes sense, and life goes on.

It's a case of the shipping simply being higher then even anticipated. An honest mistake, and the seller reached right out and refunded the buyer. That's honesty and being humble in the event of an error. If you and others want to riot and condemn the seller over him owning up to the situation....dang man. I'd work with the seller no problem, he's proven he's honest and communicates. There's plenty of room on the bst for a guy like that.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I learned very fortunately in advance of a sale a couple years ago about large and/or heavy items and how expensive they can be.

I Sold a set of 19 inch SUV wheels with tires on them to a guy in Denver. I’m in Columbus. I checked worst case senarios in advance for going to the west coast so I knew roughly what it would be.

I ended up boxing them all individually and sending them fed ex ground for $35 a piece. $140 a set!! Took a big bite out of the deal, but we both knew it would be bad in advance of the money exchange.

Always check first. Obviously both seller and OP has learned from it.

Seems to me based on the number of “I got screwed threads” that have been posted lately there are lots of people on the BST like the seller in question. At least there was a full refund. That may be the saving grace here.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I have seen countless ads on this site that say something to the effect of "add $10 for west of the Mississippi" or something of that nature. As a seller, before you sell something you should think about all potential buyers and tailor the ad accordingly. It's clear he found a better deal locally and backed out, and was 100% wrong in doing so. The fact that he wouldn't even work with the OP on the price after backing out is even worse. Like many have already posted in this thread, I would leave negative feedback. There is no place on the BST for these types of antics once a deal has been made.

This isnt that serious and you're doing a lot of assuming, and you know what they say about that.. We aren't selling kidneys to needy people, it's golf equipment. The bag wasn't shipped and the money returned, stores do this kind of thing and it's not a big deal. I'd honestly not have an issue if it was me and the seller came to me, refunded and said I can save 60 bucks by not shipping and sellin locally....makes sense, and life goes on.

It's a case of the shipping simply being higher then even anticipated. An honest mistake, and the seller reached right out and refunded the buyer. That's honesty and being humble in the event of an error. If you and others want to riot and condemn the seller over him owning up to the situation....dang man. I'd work with the seller no problem, he's proven he's honest and communicates. There's plenty of room on the bst for a guy like that.

What is being sold here is irrelevant. Doesn't matter if it's a golf bag, a kidney or SUV rims.

If he communicates, why did he not respond to the buyer's offer to talk about helping with the shipping costs?

It's nice he came on here and presented his situation. And it's understandable. And, like you, I would most likely do,business with him. But it was still wrong. IMO. I've had a salesman make a $2,000 pricing error on a car. I honored the price he quoted.

I get what you are saying, but why not at least give the buyer an opportunity to work with him on splitting the additional costs like the buyer says he tried to do? Seller says it was $60 to ship via USPS, and thought it was going to be $25-$26? Why not just say "Hey man, costs to ship are more than I thought they were going to be, let's split the $34 extra if you are still interested in the bag." If not, both parties can move on. I respect that the seller owned up to the situation and handled it promptly, but having myself eaten some unexpected shipping costs like many others in this thread, at least try to work out a deal you agreed to even if it's a little less money in your pocket.

Titleist TSr2 9 

Titleist TSr2 16.5 

Callaway Apex UW 19
TaylorMade 2023 P790 4-AW

TaylorMade MG4 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
ProV1x

Not at all. The bag is still his and can do that as long as he refunds right away. The bag isn’t yours until you receive it. Sucks and not ideal but it happens.

no, if you receive the funds for something, that's no longer yours. you don't get paid for a driver and then proceed to play 2 rounds with it before shipping it.

What if shipper loses it? Who’s responsible now? I can’t control what he does like play a round with it because if club shows up with a sky mark that wasn’t on club or pictures then that’s another issue.

100% negative feedback. A deal is a deal. You held up your end of the bargain and he jumped ship. Giving neutral feedback makes it ok for other here to back out for a whole host of reasons.

I agree with negative feedback. I don’t think what he did was all that bad he might of been a new seller and just didn’t research the cost but will now when he sells something. At least he actually gave him a reason why he did not ship he could’ve given a BS reason

I get what you are saying, but why not at least give the buyer an opportunity to work with him on splitting the additional costs like the buyer says he tried to do? Seller says it was $60 to ship via USPS, and thought it was going to be $25-$26? Why not just say "Hey man, costs to ship are more than I thought they were going to be, let's split the $34 extra if you are still interested in the bag." If not, both parties can move on. I respect that the seller owned up to the situation and handled it promptly, but having myself eaten some unexpected shipping costs like many others in this thread, at least try to work out a deal you agreed to even if it's a little less money in your pocket.

Because the seller chose not too, which was within his ability to do so. Even with the price of splitting it, it was more than he wanted to deal with. They worked it out, was just a learning lesson, things happen. Nobody was scammed and the seller and op seem ok with the resolution, though bummed. Ultimately that's really all that matters.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Because the seller chose not too, which was within his ability to do so. Even with the price of splitting it, it was more than he wanted to deal with. They worked it out, was just a learning lesson, things happen. Nobody was scammed and the seller and op seem ok with the resolution, though bummed. Ultimately that's really all that matters.

Bubba, how did "they" work it out. Seller said it was too much to ship and refunded. Wouldn't then respond to even talk about a shipping solution. Sounds like a pretty one sided conversation there. Like he worked it out for himself.

Some members on here are up on a horse so high you'd need fire and rescue to come help you climb down.

This isn't Better Business Bureau accreditation type of stuff here- it's one dude, shipping a bag, to another dude. And guys are talking about this guy like he's a seller, like this is what he does he sells golf bags. Talking like a Capulet just ran off with a Montague.

Guy didn't want to sell his bag, so he didn't sell his bag. Deals fall through in life ALL THE TIME. And FOB origin and destination are great accounting terms but the bag never even made it On Board anywhere. I would hope no feedback would be left on a transaction that never took place.

Some folks are saying "oh I took a loss on this transaction in the past, I wanted to do the honorable thing." Flip that around- wouldn't it be honorable to not want the seller to take a bath on the transaction? Or is it since you did it once in the past now you want someone else to take flak for NOT doing it? Yeah, buyer reached out to seller to "work something out" with shipping, but if he can get full ask by selling it locally, and not have to do the PITA shipping and eat even some of the cost, why wouldn't he?

Some members on here are up on a horse so high you'd need fire and rescue to come help you climb down.

This isn't Better Business Bureau accreditation type of stuff here- it's one dude, shipping a bag, to another dude. And guys are talking about this guy like he's a seller, like this is what he does he sells golf bags. Talking like a Capulet just ran off with a Montague.

Guy didn't want to sell his bag, so he didn't sell his bag. Deals fall through in life ALL THE TIME. And FOB origin and destination are great accounting terms but the bag never even made it On Board anywhere. I would hope no feedback would be left on a transaction that never took place.

Some folks are saying "oh I took a loss on this transaction in the past, I wanted to do the honorable thing." Flip that around- wouldn't it be honorable to not want the seller to take a bath on the transaction? Or is it since you did it once in the past now you want someone else to take flak for NOT doing it? Yeah, buyer reached out to seller to "work something out" with shipping, but if he can get full ask by selling it locally, and not have to do the PITA shipping and eat even some of the cost, why wouldn't he?

Wow! This is a scary view point on the matter. Makes me wonder if you’ve read what happened here. Nevertheless,I think I founds another member to add to my ever growing list.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Wow! This is a scary view point on the matter. Makes me wonder if you’ve read what happened here. Nevertheless,I think I founds another member to add to my ever growing list.

I love it! Was literally waiting for this type of response. What are you, 5 years old? "I'm adding you to my block list." Na Na Na Na boo boo.

Just add me to the list, why do wrxers feel the need to tell people they are doing it? That's like telling someone you are unfriending them on social media. It's really petty.

I should add clarity to the last part- it is never ok to cancel a sale if you get a better deal somewhere else. Speaking specifically to the facts and circumstances of THIS case. Guy offered the bag for sale, realized he was going to take a bath on shopping, decided altogether not to sell the bag where he would have to ship it. Since we are regular folks not club retailers, I can understand.

I feel like its the BST forum on GolfWRX!

Supposed to be a friendly place. Where everyone gets the benefit of the doubt. We are a community.

Seller messed up. Leave the feedback. Nothing negative. Just that you were refunded because of shipping costs being to high.

That isnt a negative, no one won, no one lost in the transaction. Your hopes of a new golf bag can still come to fruition.

I was also thinking this---as a buyer, do you really want the seller to take a loss just so you can get your deal because a deal's a deal?

Not that the OP in this case has that attitude.

But it seems to me the kind and honorable thing to do would be to excuse the seller because they miscalculated shipping costs. Was it a mistake? Yeah. But in no way does it approach intentional deception.

I was also thinking this---as a buyer, do you really want the seller to take a loss just so you can get your deal because a deal's a deal?

But it seems to me the kind and honorable thing to do would be to excuse the seller because they miscalculated shipping costs. Was it a mistake? Yeah. But in no way does it approach intentional deception.

That very well might have happened too. If the seller had communicated that to the buyer. Instead, he said too expensive to ship, refunded, then didn't respond to a offer to try to work something out on the shipping.

That very well might have happened too. If the seller had communicated that to the buyer. Instead, he said too expensive to ship, refunded, then didn't respond to a offer to try to work something out on the shipping.

Well in this case, once the seller found out that shipping costs were 2-3 times what they had anticipated, the sale was no longer good for them financially.

Should they bite the bullet and follow through anyways? Perhaps.

But would you really feel good as the buyer knowing that they were only shipping out of principle and not because they actually wanted to? That they would actually lose money versus selling it locally once finding out how high the shipping costs actually were?

I wouldn't.

I think of BST as being for Win-Win transactions between friends and fellow golfers.

If I knew the seller didn't actually want to sell me the item after-all, I wouldn't want it.

Not at all. The bag is still his and can do that as long as he refunds right away. The bag isn’t yours until you receive it. Sucks and not ideal but it happens.

no, if you receive the funds for something, that's no longer yours. you don't get paid for a driver and then proceed to play 2 rounds with it before shipping it.

I can't say I would 100% agree with this... While I don't agree with putting something in play after it's been sold, I sure as hell don't agree that it 100% makes it yours because you sent the money, not until it's in your hands. If this were true, we'd be eating it every time a shaft showed up to the door broken, but often times, buyers and sellers work together to make it right. By this logic, the buyer should be on their own every time an item leaves the sellers hands. Not apples to apples but what's the old saying, possession is 9/10ths.

I realize it sucks, and it sucks because you obviously know what a good deal this is with shipping included but I believe the seller when he says he was quoted some astronomical amount, it has happened to me, too. It did not stop me from shipping but I will admit I thought about it.... I don't think negative feedback is appropriate but thats only up to you and what you feel is the right thing to do. I would just keep my eyes peeled on eBay if you're really looking for another bag, but if this really is your 6th, I wouldn't be too concerned... plenty of kids out there probably saving just to buy 1.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Well in this case, once the seller found out that shipping costs were 2-3 times what they had anticipated, the sale was no longer good for them financially.

But would you really feel good as the buyer knowing that they were only shipping out of principle and not because they actually wanted to? That they would actually lose money versus selling it locally once finding out how high the shipping costs actually were?

I wouldn't.

I think of BST as being for Win-Win transactions between friends and fellow golfers.

If I knew the seller didn't actually want to sell me the item after-all, I wouldn't want it.

As a seller, I would have shipped it. Like many have said they have done.

As a buyer, if the seller had messaged me first explaining the situation I would have been fine with canceling the sale, or if I still wanted to pursue the item I would have worked towards a compromise with the seller. However, the buyer wasn't afforded either of those opportunities.

Bottom line to me, how I see it (and quite frankly, many of the poster echoing these thoughts are high BST feedback people ((which says something itself)), no one wants to see someone take a beating on a sale, and I think most would be receptive to a fair solution. But they have to be provided that opportunity. Like I said to BubbaGump, this was a one sided solution. Sure, it was an honest mistake, but isn't part of dealing with an honest mistake owning up to it? Not running away from it?

I wouldn't.

As a buyer, if the seller had messaged me first explaining the situation I would have been fine with canceling the sale, or if I still wanted to pursue the item I would have worked towards a compromise with the seller. However, the buyer wasn't afforded either of those opportunities.

Bottom line to me, how I see it (and quite frankly, many of the poster echoing these thoughts are high BST feedback people ((which says something itself)), no one wants to see someone take a beating on a sale, and I think most would be receptive to a fair solution. But they have to be provided that opportunity. Like I said to BubbaGump, this was a one sided solution. Sure, it was an honest mistake, but isn't part of dealing with an honest mistake owning up to it? Not running away from it?

So if the seller had messaged the OP and explained that the shipping costs were too high, received a reply, and then refunded it would be okay?

But just refunding and giving an explanation was not okay?

How is the seller "running away from it" in this case?

What would not "running away from it" look like? Shipping it anyways?

He admitted he miscalculated the costs.

I may have to join the crowd calling people high horsed on this one. If I were the buyer in this case, I would literally say to myself, "Oh dang, that sucks. I wanted that bag. But I understand that it wouldn't be good for the seller at this point and he'd rather sell it locally. He seems like an honest guy and stuff happens".

And I'd forget about it and that'd be the end of it.

I wouldn't.

So if the seller had messaged the OP and explained that the shipping costs were too high, received a reply, and then refunded it would be okay?

I may have to join the crowd calling people high horsed on this one. If I were the buyer in this case, I would literally say to myself, "Oh dang, that sucks. I wanted that bag. But I understand that it wouldn't be good for the seller at this point and he'd rather sell it locally. He seems like an honest guy and stuff happens".

Not running away from it would have been responding to the buyer when he messaged about the possibility of helping with the shipping costs. With the eventual goal of a solution that was fair and equitable to both. But that opportunity never came around because the buyer never received a response.

Is it so difficult to message the buyer first and explain the situation? Guess what, if he had done so, and the buyer would have been ok with cancelling the sale, this thread would never exist would it?

Yeah, buyers are going to get the message that their purchase is cancelled and say to themselves,

"Oh dang, that sucks. I wanted that bag. But I understand that it wouldn't be good for the seller at this point and he'd rather sell it locally. He seems like an honest guy and stuff happens".

Give me a freaking break.

Sure, that's what's going to happen. You may think many are on their high horses in this thread, but they've got a great view of your fantasyland from up there

Not running away from it would have been responding to the buyer when he messaged about the possibility of helping with the shipping costs. With the eventual goal of a solution that was fair and equitable to both. But that opportunity never came around because the buyer never received a response.

Is it so difficult to message the buyer first and explain the situation? Guess what, if he had done so, and the buyer would have been ok with cancelling the sale, this thread would never exist would it?

Yeah, buyers are going to get the message that their purchase is cancelled and say to themselves,

"Oh dang, that sucks. I wanted that bag. But I understand that it wouldn't be good for the seller at this point and he'd rather sell it locally. He seems like an honest guy and stuff happens".

Give me a freaking break.

Sure, that's what's going to happen. You may think many are on their high horses in this thread, but they've got a great view of your fantasyland from up there

You must have missed this part:

"I was shocked and embarrassed that I had miscalculated so badly. I contacted the buyer, explained my findings, apologized for not doing my due diligence, and refunded the payment. I only mentioned I would try to sell it locally because I could not imagine being able to ship it for a reasonable amount. I did not accept a higher offer or ignore the buyer and still have the bag in my possession"

So, as you can see he DID contact the buyer. He did explain his situation. He did apologize. And then he refunded.

This thread is the definition of making a mountain out of a molehole.

I'm not in fantasyland.

I'm in common decency land where if someone messages me and says "I'm really sorry but I found out that it's going to cost WAY more than I thought to ship this item and I'd much rather sell it locally if you'll understand" and believe it or not I'd say "It's okay, I understand. I'm not perfect either".

Straightshot, give me a quick, honest answer. You've got solid feedback from your sells.

How would you have handled this situation as a seller?

As the seller I would have thoroughly researched the exact cost to ship the bag before I listed it.

It sounds like the seller did some research (using online tools) and somehow it came out way less than the actually cost.

I feel like I would have definitely gotten an accurate cost before listing.

If I was put in the position of the seller where I had already sold the club, I probably would have worked with the buyer to try to figure it out. I'm not exactly sure. I don't think I'd put myself in that position.

I've already said I think the seller made a mistake. He probably didn't handle it the BEST way either.

But from a buyer's standpoint I think it should be forgiven and should be a neutral feedback because it wasn't deceptive.