Goose Attacks High School Golfer

Poor guy on a high school golf team in Michigan got nailed by an angry goose on the course. And I worried about the gators in Florida . . .

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/watch-out-goose-attacks-michigan-high-school-golfer

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the world aren’t those damn crap machines not shot and eaten?!?

They are freaking EVERYWHERE here in Ohio. Total menace. Casually walking across the roads and causing wrecks.

Dumping on the greens and digging up the turf. Attacking people. Satan with feathers.

I’d go hunt them at night with a crossbow if I were a greenskeeper.

Why in the world aren't those damn crap machines not shot and eaten?!?

They are freaking EVERYWHERE here in Ohio. Total menace. Casually walking across the roads and causing wrecks.

Dumping on the greens and digging up the turf. Attacking people. Satan with feathers.

I'd go hunt them at night with a crossbow if I were a greenskeeper.

Yeah, we got a lot of them as well. They sure do crap a lot, and it sucks getting your shoes and push cart covered with the stuff.

Just walked within 15 yards of one, the other day. It was alone, and sitting like it was possibly nesting some eggs, but it was out in the open. As soon as I got anywhere close, it extended it's neck, and looked directly at me, like it was just daring me to get closer. It watched me walk all the way by, then I saw it relax, again. Could've been me in those pics, if I wouldn't have kept my distance. :cheesy:

When I think about it, growing up in Ohio in the 1960's, I hardly ever saw geese. Then, in the 1970's, there was a huge wetlands campaign to bring them back. Now they're everywhere.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Fried Duck is pretty good eats and so are the eggs. The geese as a flock make terrific watchdogs even against the home owner. No sneaking in late at night. Even just a pair of the larger variety make good watchdogs at night. No sneaking into your yard when they are on the loose, though they show no mercy to the vegetation. On the whole, if you explore their characteristics, they are pretty good both as a food animal and a night watch. I really don't know what else, but I would feel more secure at home with them in the yard than with dogs in the yard.

Shambles

Something similar happened to my brother-in-law 2 weekends ago. We were on the 17th and he had just hit his second shot. I was walking maybe 10-15 yards ahead of him. I looked over my left shoulder and I see a goose flying from the left side of the fairway. I thought to myself, "That's pretty cool, never seen that before that up close." I turn my head forward to continue to walk toward my ball and I hear my bro-in-law yell out, "Ohhh Sh*t!!!" I quickly turn my head over my right shoulder and I see the goose was flying right at him! It looked as though the good was going to envelope him into its stretched out wings. He quickly jumped backwards out of the way of the goose and the goose landed about 2 yards away from him and stared him down. Of course I bust out laughing because that was probably one of the funniest and craziest things i have seen on a golf course. In the midst of my laughter, I see my him slowly limping away from the vicinity of the goose to try not to startle it. Asked why he is limping, he said felt a pop in his calf muscle. He was carrying his bag and the quick movement with the bag on his back caused just an awkward movement. Luckily we were playing with out fathers and they were using a cart. So he ended his round there and the dads walked the rest of the way while he used the cart. Next day he got an MRI and he tore his calf muscle and is on the shelf for the next 2-3 months.

He was already getting teased left and right, and now this story comes out and just added more insult to injury.

Something similar happened to my brother-in-law 2 weekends ago. We were on the 17th and he had just hit his second shot. I was walking maybe 10-15 yards ahead of him. I looked over my left shoulder and I see a goose flying from the left side of the fairway. I thought to myself, "That's pretty cool, never seen that before that up close." I turn my head forward to continue to walk toward my ball and I hear my bro-in-law yell out, "Ohhh Sh*t!!!" I quickly turn my head over my right shoulder and I see the goose was flying right at him! It looked as though the good was going to envelope him into its stretched out wings. He quickly jumped backwards out of the way of the goose and the goose landed about 2 yards away from him and stared him down. Of course I bust out laughing because that was probably one of the funniest and craziest things i have seen on a golf course. In the midst of my laughter, I see my him slowly limping away from the vicinity of the goose to try not to startle it. Asked why he is limping, he said felt a pop in his calf muscle. He was carrying his bag and the quick movement with the bag on his back caused just an awkward movement. Luckily we were playing with out fathers and they were using a cart. So he ended his round there and the dads walked the rest of the way while he used the cart. Next day he got an MRI and he tore his calf muscle and is on the shelf for the next 2-3 months.

He was already getting teased left and right, and now this story comes out and just added more insult to injury.

That stinks. Bummer.

We have a border collie that works our course and does a great job ridding the place of geese. Most courses in the region are rife with their dung. Gross. I'd just ring a goose's neck, take it home and take my chances with Fish and Game. They can be nasty aggressive creatures. Had them hissing at me a few times when out playing.

Just shows you how much respect these animals have for us golfers.

I can imagine the conversation from 1 goose to another. "Aren't you afraid of getting hit by a golf ball out here on a golf course?", the other one says, "are you kidding me? have you seen these guys play? they can't hit the broad side of a barn, much less put a golf ball between my eyes, hell we're safer than their playing partners..."