Even Flow Black vs HZRDUS Black

Recently got a CBX 3+ with HZRDUS Black 75g in 6.5. Absolutely love it - so much that it’s helped me see that my HZRDUS Yellow 75g in 6.5 in the driver is probably not the best fit for me. I like the yellow, don’t get me wrong - but I LOVE the Black in my CBX.

So my first question - should I expect to like the HZRDUS Black as much In the driver as I do in the fairway? The reason I ask is that I’ve previously liked a driver shaft but absolutely hated the same shaft in a FW.

Second question - should I consider the EVen Flow Black for the driver? The reason I ask is that my swing transition is somewhere between smooth and aggressive, and I did like the feel is the EF Blue (75g in 6.5) when demoing FWs but the spin and launch were just too high. Driver SS is around 110 but can get up to 115 if I’m going after it.

My main priorities in a driver shaft: (a) anti-left; (b) low/low; © good dispersion; and, (d) able to draw/fade at will. If I can manage to add a few yards over my normal carry of about 275-280, bonus.

Would really appreciate thoughts, especially from those who have hit both shafts extensively.

Thanks.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HZRDOUS black is the greatest driver shaft I have played...it is low/low and I can work the ball both directions. I have compard it many many times to the Evenflow black. That is my second favorite

EF Black has a lot more feel to it. Where the smoke black kinda feels like “1 piece”, the EF black definitely gives you a nice bend where you can feel the load in transition. I love the EF black

EvenFlow and HZRDUS are polar opposites, so not sure I would be mixing and matching. If you like the HZRDUS black in your current club, no reason not to try it in the driver, provided you need the low spin and like the profile.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

I play the Hzrdus yellow in my driver and evenflow blue in my fw woods. My ss is lower than yours by about 10 mph, but the shaft combo is one I really like. I tried the EF blue in a rogue head, but went back to a TM head with the Hzrdus shaft.

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HZRDOUS black is the greatest driver shaft I have played...it is low/low and I can work the ball both directions. I have compard it many many times to the Evenflow black. That is my second favorite shaft of all time but for my gamer, the HZRDOUS edges it out. I have both and from time to time I swap just for grnins. Both are X flex shafts.

• Like 1

one more thing...I have done my shaft testing with the HZRDOUS and Evenflow in many different heads (EPIC, EPIC Sub Z, SLDR, M1, M3). All results led back to HZRDOUS Black. I tend to hit a high ball and have a swing speed that bounces between 105 and 111, depending on the day. The shaft always delivers a nice penetrating ball flight and I never get the occasional balloon that other shafts produce. Hope this helps.

EvenFlow and HZRDUS are polar opposites, so not sure I would be mixing and matching. If you like the HZRDUS black in your current club, no reason not to try it in the driver, provided you need the low spin and like the profile.

Can you elaborate a little more about the how they are polar opposites?

I have an Evenflow Black in 6.5 and a HZRDUS Black in 6.0 (tipped 1.5"). I've done well with the HZ and just put it in my G400 LST head to try out. I've only used it a few times, but it seems to work very well in this combo. The only negative is it seems a weak; I may go 6.5 in a Handcrafted version instead.

I have the EF 6.5 in a Rogue head and it seems that some days it works well for me and other days not so well. I ask you to elaborate so perhaps I can identify why the EF is a hot/cold shaft for me compared to the HZ. Thanks!

PING G410 LST 9* - Aldila Tour Green ATX 65X
PING G410 14.5* - Aldila Tour Blue ATX 75X
Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
PING i210 4-U - Nippon Pro Modus 105X 
Vokey SM7 56 & 60 - DG S400
Spider X Chalk
Snell MTB-X

I have an Evenflow Black in 6.5 and a HZRDUS Black in 6.0 (tipped 1.5"). I've done well with the HZ and just put it in my G400 LST head to try out. I've only used it a few times, but it seems to work very well in this combo. The only negative is it seems a weak; I may go 6.5 in a Handcrafted version instead.

I have the EF 6.5 in a Rogue head and it seems that some days it works well for me and other days not so well. I ask you to elaborate so perhaps I can identify why the EF is a hot/cold shaft for me compared to the HZ. Thanks!

The HZRDUS was made for aggressive swingers who dont want to feel lag. It has a super stiff mid section.

Even flow is the exact opposite. It was made for smooth swingers. The bend profile is a smooth constant rate change in stiffness from butt to tip and they change the tip stiffness between the red, blue and black to get the launch/spin.

The HZRDUS is more of a hitters shaft and EF is a swingers shaft.

^^^ Thank you! This is a HUGE help.

I am more of a hitter, which is why the HB seems to fit me better. Thinking back, the EF performed well for me on days when I was trying to swing smoother. However, this is not my natural swing which is why it didn't work well sometimes.

Are the red and yellow versions similar in profile to the black? Meaning they suit hitters more than swingers?

PING G410 LST 9* - Aldila Tour Green ATX 65X
PING G410 14.5* - Aldila Tour Blue ATX 75X
Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
PING i210 4-U - Nippon Pro Modus 105X 
Vokey SM7 56 & 60 - DG S400
Spider X Chalk
Snell MTB-X

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump and old-ish thread, but I got some interesting results last night.

kUQ1eHa.jpg

So the numbers are very close, but for how drastically different the HZRDUS and Even Flow shafts are, they perform almost identically for me. Not only that, but the Even Flow Blue (mid launch, mid spin) was marginally lower launch, lower apex, and lower spin than the HZRDUS Black (low launch, low spin). Both were 75g and 6.0 flex.

• 1 month later...
Sorry to bump and old-ish thread, but I got some interesting results last night.

kUQ1eHa.jpg

So the numbers are very close, but for how drastically different the HZRDUS and Even Flow shafts are, they perform almost identically for me. Not only that, but the Even Flow Blue (mid launch, mid spin) was marginally lower launch, lower apex, and lower spin than the HZRDUS Black (low launch, low spin). Both were 75g and 6.0 flex.

Yeah i used to be scared of the hzrdus black with that low,low term and i got it great and I'm not a high ball hitter more of a mid and i got it with great success with driver and i loved it in my 3 wood but for some strange reason i have a handcrafted black now and to me it's even better than the standard one i can't explain why i thought that was all hype tbh but my hc one feels like it jumps more through impact weirdly and it seems to be easier for me to seeing away with

The HZRDUS was made for aggressive swingers who dont want to feel lag. It has a super stiff mid section.

Even flow is the exact opposite. It was made for smooth swingers. The bend profile is a smooth constant rate change in stiffness from butt to tip and they change the tip stiffness between the red, blue and black to get the launch/spin.

The HZRDUS is more of a hitters shaft and EF is a swingers shaft.

I've hit the EF black in a fairway wood, and hit the Hzrdus black in both a driver and fairway wood. The Hzrdus is better at standing up to more aggressive swings, where as the EF black suited a smoother swing (as said above in other post). The EF black did not like it when I tried to step on it some. Both are great shafts, but in theory if you are more on the aggressive side I would lean more towards the Hzrdus.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/11/2021 at 10:08 AM, boxerdoc said:

Has anyone compare smoke black with evenflow black?

EF Black has a lot more feel to it. Where the smoke black kinda feels like “1 piece”, the EF black definitely gives you a nice bend where you can feel the load in transition. I love the EF black

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 Max - Accra TZ5 75 M5

3 Wood:  Taylormade SIM Ti - Accra TZ6 85 M5

Hybrid:  Taylormade DHY - Diamana Thump 100x

Irons:  Taylormade P770 4-PW  - KBS C Taper 125S+

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 51/10, 56/12, 60/10 - KBS 610 125S+

Putter: TM Spider X Chalk