Reading green speed

TKellogg86

Are there any drills you guys like to dial in your putting speed? I play the same course weekly and I’m averaging 2 putts a hole and I feel like my reads are good but my speed is off because I hit the spots I pick but I either leave it short or hit is way past.

I need to fix my putting!!! It’s holding my scores back. 18-20 putts through 9 holes is bad. Help me please!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladder drill.

Start at the Fringe of the green and try to make the ball go 3 feet or so. Next putt has to go past the previous. Repeat till you hit the opposite fringe. Then work your way backwards.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I have sort of a quantitative approach. I like to pace off each putt, then sort of set references for length of my stroke to how many paces it is. I account for slope by adding/subtracting a number of paces based on severity. I at least get the idea of how many paces is equivalent to brining the putter back to even with the outside of my back foot- that gives me a good frame of reference for judging things short and longer than that number. So it can be as simple as say, 6 paces == putter to outside back foot, and then adjust stroke length from there. Applying numbers to it helps me, as judging pace just by feel gives me very inconsistent results.

Granted, I'm a very average putter and wholly unqualified to give any advice.

Sort of a blend of feel/method but what has helped me has been picking out a spot and just focusing on hitting a putt to that distance. For example, if it's downhill I pick out a spot maybe 2 feet short of the hole (arbitrary numbers for example's sake) and focus on just hitting a solid putt to that distance and then when coupled with the slope should reach/die around the hole. Vice versa for uphill putts.

Has helped me to not decel on downhill putts and not smash uphill putts.

It's all feel. Putting is feel, you can't force it. I've been having trouble with my putting since I've thought too much about HOW to putt, rather than just using my natural feel.

When you throw a ball to someone, do you get the distance right every time? Or do you completely f*** it up? What if they move left and away from you? Can you make the distance and the line? It's obvious isn't it?

Treat putting like you're throwing a ball to someone. You don't think about how hard to throw, you just throw, and you cover the distance perfectly.

Simply hit the putt towards the hole. Forget everything else. Get your read, and hit it. Forget everything else.

Is it your stroke or your read (or both)?

When making contact, do you think "oh, too hard," or "Hit the ball?" It's your stroke.

Putt/roll the ball by hand. How is your distance control? Not good? It's your read.

Fix the stroke by being a little more mechanical at first. Measure the distance of a putt going just beyond your trail foot (or some other spot.Two ways and average distance to negate practice green slope if you can't find a flat spot. After some time (depends on you), you'll start to develop feel (how do you vary chips and pitch distances)?

Fix the read by pacing off distances, and feel slopes with your feet. With time, your feel should develop (unless you have really bad depth perception).

Just say'in...

Wouldnt the practice green play a bit faster than the greens on the course? Practice greens play faster because they get more foot traffic.

I think

First Ive ever heard on that one, meaning I dont believe it to be true.

A pro said it in a golf digest interview about the tour putting greens. If I come across it again, I will quote it.

Wouldn’t the practice green play a bit faster than the greens on the course? Practice greens play faster because they get more foot traffic.

I think

First I’ve ever heard on that one, meaning I don’t believe it to be true.

A pro said it in a golf digest interview about the tour putting greens. If I come across it again, I will quote it.

A pro said it? Gotta be true.

best advice I've ever gotten on putting distance and control was from Michael Brreed who basically said let your mind guide you, meaning your brain truly knows what it takes to get the ball to the hole. Just don't get in the way of that thought process.

Seconded. On the course, Rotella wants you to react to the conditions of the course. Zero mechanical thoughts.

I blend this with a quick 360 walk around the hole, identify the fall line, add my aiming point (I use the vector putting method), then pull the trigger.

It sounds like a lot, but it's purely green reading (no mechanics) and my brain does it all now subconsciously during my walk. I see my aim point, and let my body do what it wants to get the ball there. I'm sure my mechanics aren't pro-level, but going with my first read and reacting has kept me from getting in my own head.

No second guessing. You need confidence in that read. This way, you'll never "miss" a putt, you'll only have read it wrong :)

Is it your stroke or your read (or both)?

When making contact, do you think "oh, too hard," or "Hit the ball?" It's your stroke.

Putt/roll the ball by hand. How is your distance control? Not good? It's your read.).

When I putt I usually feel like I hit a good putt until it goes past or comes up short.

I did switch back to my scotty cameron for 9 yesterday and I felt like I did better.

I switched putters in the fall. The new one is heavier and stainless where my cameron is lighter and carbon. Could that be some of the issue?

Wouldn't the practice green play a bit faster than the greens on the course? Practice greens play faster because they get more foot traffic.

I think

First I've ever heard on that one, meaning I don't believe it to be true.

its true on Bermuda greens and a well traveled course... Our home practice green is lightning fast ... often times much faster than the greens on the course.. That practice green is one of the biggest iver ever seen..and its nothing to see 15 people using it at once almost all day long... thats alot of feet all over

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

best advice I've ever gotten on putting distance and control was from Michael Brreed who basically said let your mind guide you, meaning your brain truly knows what it takes to get the ball to the hole. Just don't get in the way of that thought process.

Seconded. On the course, Rotella wants you to react to the conditions of the course. Zero mechanical thoughts.

I blend this with a quick 360 walk around the hole, identify the fall line, add my aiming point (I use the vector putting method), then pull the trigger.

It sounds like a lot, but it's purely green reading (no mechanics) and my brain does it all now subconsciously during my walk. I see my aim point, and let my body do what it wants to get the ball there. I'm sure my mechanics aren't pro-level, but going with my first read and reacting has kept me from getting in my own head.

No second guessing. You need confidence in that read. This way, you'll never "miss" a putt, you'll only have read it wrong :)

sounds reasonable... Ive got to do something similar .. My tee to green stats are rising at a nice rate and yet im scoring worse... Putting is atrocious.. i 3 putted 3 times in 7 holes yesterday in a friendly knockaround game with my 9 year old... He truly beat me tee to cup 3 of the 7 holes..lol So we are talking zero pressure for me and i still am not scaring the hole on the first putt.. and we are talking inside 20 feet here.

sounds reasonable... Ive got to do something similar .. My tee to green stats are rising at a nice rate and yet im scoring worse... Putting is atrocious.. i 3 putted 3 times in 7 holes yesterday in a friendly knockaround game with my 9 year old... He truly beat me tee to cup 3 of the 7 holes..lol So we are talking zero pressure for me and i still am not scaring the hole on the first putt.. and we are talking inside 20 feet here.

Well, you've putted well at some point in your past, no? So you CAN do it. I 3-putted 3 times in 6 holes the other day on a benign course I've played a million times. I chalked it up to the greens being dormant, weird colored, and I couldn't read s***. :)

In seriousness, you would probably benefit from as little thinking as possible. Ever play skee ball? You get in a groove? The minute you stop for a second, you have like a seizure and can't get that feel back.

Any idiot can roll a ball in the vicinity of the cup (left to right). It's the speed that's probably killing you.

Here's a good article that summarizes a lot of what Rotella writes. It's weird, because I disagree with his opinion of the importance of putting, but his writing on the mental game is very helpful to me.

As big of an analytical player I am, that all takes place before I set up to the ball. This includes all shots, putts included. Once I've "seen" the shot, I step up and make it, for better or worse. And I accept the outcome.

Points 2 & 3 are particularly important to me in this article. I'd also add that you should try to make every putt but don't be upset when you don't. That's why I practically memorize the expected strokes from different distances of putts for PGA Tour players.

On a 20 footer, the PGA make percentage is 13%. That's about 1/8 for THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD! So if I get anything that sniffs the hole, I'm happy.

Expect to make every putt (because you can, in reality), but have that "ho hum" attitude when they don't fall. Take pride that your read was good, and you reacted well, and move the f*** on!

http://capitalareago...ur-putting-woes

Yep. Truly is a mental thing. But I can’t seem to shake it.

To make matters worse. I built myself and my 9 year old a pretty large 4 hole artificial green last fall. I just finished a practice session a minute ago while waiting for some painted parts to dry at work. From over 6 feet I didn’t make 2 putts in a row out of 100 tries. Now my green does have some slope. So it isn’t easy. But I know the breaks. I built it. And there are a couple flat 5 footers too.

Also for some reason when I go to my one handed drill ( right) I make many more from all over. Because of this I’ve moved my left hand all over grip wise to try to just simulate the drill. I guess I could just putt one handed. Lol.

Really sucks out loud. I suppose I’ve been a good putter at some point. But thinking back on my lowest rounds. I really just hit that many iron shots stone dead. I’ve never had a round where I made putts from all over. Now I’d just kill for a round with no 3 putts and making half my up and downs for par.

Yep. Truly is a mental thing. But I can't seem to shake it.

To make matters worse. I built myself and my 9 year old a pretty large 4 hole artificial green last fall. I just finished a practice session a minute ago while waiting for some painted parts to dry at work. From over 6 feet I didn't make 2 putts in a row out of 100 tries. Now my green does have some slope. So it isn't easy. But I know the breaks. I built it. And there are a couple flat 5 footers too.

Also for some reason when I go to my one handed drill ( right) I make many more from all over. Because of this I've moved my left hand all over grip wise to try to just simulate the drill. I guess I could just putt one handed. Lol.

Really sucks out loud. I suppose I've been a good putter at some point. But thinking back on my lowest rounds. I really just hit that many iron shots stone dead. I've never had a round where I made putts from all over. Now I'd just kill for a round with no 3 putts and making half my up and downs for par.

Couple things... do you ever get the same putt twice in a row on the course? No? So don't practice that way unless you're trying to improve mechanics. If you're trying to improve your mental game, scatter three balls and putt them all. Or take the two furthest holes, put a beer by each, and take one ball. Your goal is just to two putt out. Take a swig as a reward when you two putt!

Other thing... it's like in Tin Cup, your drill may or may not have actually improved your technique. But what it did was take the pressure off and and take your focus away from the mental block you're having. You could've probably put a condom on your hand and balanced a book on your head and had a similar placebo affect.

Regardless, I wouldn't be alarmed. Our games change over time. It's not constant. Even if you do nothing, just know in your mind that you're a better putter and you're going through an anomaly.

Wouldn't the practice green play a bit faster than the greens on the course? Practice greens play faster because they get more foot traffic.

I think

First I've ever heard on that one, meaning I don't believe it to be true.

Whatever the reason is I'd say that 'what happens on the practice green, stays on the practice green".

Yep. Truly is a mental thing. But I can't seem to shake it.

To make matters worse. I built myself and my 9 year old a pretty large 4 hole artificial green last fall. I just finished a practice session a minute ago while waiting for some painted parts to dry at work. From over 6 feet I didn't make 2 putts in a row out of 100 tries. Now my green does have some slope. So it isn't easy. But I know the breaks. I built it. And there are a couple flat 5 footers too.

Also for some reason when I go to my one handed drill ( right) I make many more from all over. Because of this I've moved my left hand all over grip wise to try to just simulate the drill. I guess I could just putt one handed. Lol.

Really sucks out loud. I suppose I've been a good putter at some point. But thinking back on my lowest rounds. I really just hit that many iron shots stone dead. I've never had a round where I made putts from all over. Now I'd just kill for a round with no 3 putts and making half my up and downs for par.

Couple things... do you ever get the same putt twice in a row on the course? No? So don't practice that way unless you're trying to improve mechanics. If you're trying to improve your mental game, scatter three balls and putt them all. Or take the two furthest holes, put a beer by each, and take one ball. Your goal is just to two putt out. Take a swig as a reward when you two putt!

Other thing... it's like in Tin Cup, your drill may or may not have actually improved your technique. But what it did was take the pressure off and and take your focus away from the mental block you're having. You could've probably put a condom on your hand and balanced a book on your head and had a similar placebo affect.

Regardless, I wouldn't be alarmed. Our games change over time. It's not constant. Even if you do nothing, just know in your mind that you're a better putter and you're going through an anomaly.

all good thoughts... i just have a hard time when i get in these slumps... my knee jerk thought is " dont 3 putt"... my thought when im on is " i can make this"... but ive been lying to myself for about 2 months now and myself is starting to catch on...lol ..Low rounds ive had lately have all been spot on ball striking and 2 putt birdies on par 5s.. all you have to do is stop hitting it close with that formula and poof..scores balloon dramatically

When you practice, find a relatively flat 20 feet. Place a coin I'd say 30 inches behind to start, hit your putts not trying to make it but keeping it between the coin and hole. And you move the coin wherever you hit your ball. So from 20 feet, I hit it 23 inches past. I'll move my coin up 7 inches toward the hole and keep going until I leave it short. Most I've ever done is 6. I've seen Brooks do 7 at Floridian once...it's a tough game.

Do the ladder drill mentioned above, mix in some breaking putts as well.

Also don't be bashful to hit putts with your eyes closed to better judge feel.

When you practice, find a relatively flat 20 feet. Place a coin I'd say 30 inches behind to start, hit your putts not trying to make it but keeping it between the coin and hole. And you move the coin wherever you hit your ball. So from 20 feet, I hit it 23 inches past. I'll move my coin up 7 inches toward the hole and keep going until I leave it short. Most I've ever done is 6. I've seen Brooks do 7 at Floridian once...it's a tough game.

Do the ladder drill mentioned above, mix in some breaking putts as well.

Also don't be bashful to hit putts with your eyes closed to better judge feel.

That sounds like a fun way to practice. I’ll have to give it a try this weekend

Luckily my home course keeps the practice green pretty close to actual course conditions, so when I started doing a consistent pre-round putting routine it helped me get dialed in for the day. I go to the exact same spot, a flat-ish area with noticeable marks about 10 ft apart, and putt 3 balls using a stroke that is normal for that distance. When it's fast or slow I'll leave all 3 short or long, and go back and adjust. I keep hitting at that spot until I get 3 balls in a row close enough to the distance that I'm happy before I move on to any other practice putts.

For general practice, agree with above ladder drills are great for speed. I tend to leave my putts short when I'm missing so one thing I do on drills where I'm trying to make it or two putt is add a pull-back element. Anytime I'm short of the hole on first putt, I have to pull it back the length of the putter before attempting to hole the second one. This helps me mentally reinforce that I at least need to get it to the hole.