2018 Volunteers of America LPGA Texas Classic May 03-06

Sung Hyun Park looking like she might be about to run away with this. Too bad play will almost be over by the time it's on air...

Stop looking at the lpga.com leaderboard and watch the tape delay in 90 minutes.

I wonder how many Namdalla fangirls have showed up at the course today...supposed there are 86,000 Koreans in North Texas.

Go to CBS...and see if Jason Day can avoid a choke at Quail Hollow and FIGJAM is also in coverag tooe....so we'll see many of his phony thumbs up when he scrambles for par or makes a birdie....that alone is worth the price of admission.

Is it going to be aired on a delay? If so I will definitely steer clear and watch it then.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a great time yesterday(Saturday). A wrong turn had me arrive at the course around 9:20 am. The signal on my phone keeps going in an out so my GPS thought we were further away than I was.

The golf course is beautiful and I love that it's spread out. Makes for a nice walk. It was really muddy when I got there. The course was cut up in all different ways, not just reverse 9s but they wanted to make 18 finish at the clubhouse. A lot of the natural vegetation is still around at this newish course. It looks like a beautiful texas meadow next to a lake and my eyes and nose felt that way. I kept sneezing a lot!!

I arrived and watched Jing Yan, Perrine Delacour, and Ashely Buhai tee off from 1 then found my way to #10 as some marquee groups were going to tee off from there.

In general, the tee announcers weren't good. Many didn't have any idea how to pronounce names and their intros were inconsistent. Please welcome from South Africa, a 3 time winner, Ashley Buhai.

A part of 2016 team korea, please welcome InGee Chun.

3 victories where? Team Korea where? Just little things.

Sarah Jane Smith, Sei Young Kim and Ayako Uehara were finishing up on 9(their 18th). A few japanese fans were following Ayako and snapping a ton of pictures. The LPGA was conducting interviews behind the 9th green and it was audible to the players I would imagine.

The paths on the course aren't paved so they crunch whenever people walk on them which makes a lot of noise and extra work for the marshalls.

Does anyone know if they were short some volunteers? On one of the par 3s a woman from the LPGA staff was marshalling on and off various holes. She seemed to be following the groups and stepping in where needed. My favorite hole was 17 how it is set up for the event, the green is off to the left and it is a blind tee shot and a blind 2nd shot as well.

A lot of the tees were moved up on Saturday. Sam Da Soo is the official water of the LPGA. As far as I can tell, it's not available in the US but it was available at every tee box for their players. I wonder what went on behind the scenes to get a sponsor for a product hardly available outside Korea.

I saw Laura Davies finishing on 9(her 18th) as I was walking in. Part of my reason for attending was to see her, Yani and Lorie Kane and see what differences I could tell between them and a marquee group. Laura is playing well(ish) this season but Lorie hasn't made a cut in years. Needless to say I didnt get to see Laura, Lorie or yani up-close.

I followed Ingee, Moriya and Aditi. My intent was to follow each group starting on 10 and see them finish that hole and work my way back to the tee. Brooke Henderson's group was ahead and had a lot of people following. Cristie,Stacy and Mo Martin were after and had a big following so I just stuck with Ingee, Moriya and Aditi. Whom I assume were Aditi's parents followed along as well as a gentleman that I'm sure is Ingee's manager, family member or someone because they would talk to each other a lot.

There were a lot of Korean fans on the course. In fact, it's interesting to see the types of fans that show up. I would say it was made up of Korean men, Korean/Korean-American families with children, young girls with their fathers. Middle aged men with their wives, the wives often looked like they were dragged here. Not a lot of 20something guy groups like at PGA tour events. That's probably why we don't hear "get in the hole" "Babba Booey or Mashed Potatoes a lot. Most are casual fans it appears. There was a man who was chatting with a volunteer the whole way with my group and they obviously weren't casual LPGA fans as they were talking about the LET, state of the LPGA etc. I wanted so badly to join the conversation but decided not to, it'd be rude.

InGee's iron game is strong or at least it was Saturday. She often hit her 2nd shot close to the hole or way past the other 2 on the longer holes. Aditi seems the most "naturally talented" but InGee seems like she gets the most out of her game and it is the most refined and mature game out of the 3. Based on form, I don't know how InGee hasn't won more but I see why she is so consistent. Moriya is a good player but I dont know how I'd classify her in my book. Aditi just needs more time and to be more consistent. On hole #1 (their 10th) Moriya hit her drive left into knee high weeds. She tried hitting it once with the intention,it appeared, to go over a tree, she hit and the ball didn't move. Then her caddie pointed to the fairway and the intention quickly changed to just get it in the fairway.

The first tee is next to the lake and there were some boats and loud music pretty close to the green. Ariya seemed bothered by this.

How these women stay focused is beyond me. Everyone wants a picture, autograph, interview, to talk to you etc. There was a pair of girls who kept a close,close eye on Ingee. I think Social media and the LPGA fool many into believing you'll make a new life-long friend if you attend an LPGA event. I can't remember who it was that said a few weeks back that a player was rude because she only signed and didn't chat to her daughter.

I went into the gift shop. It was somewhat of a letdown. Most of the items are Old American branded and/or your standard tournament logo on a polo shirt.

All that said, I still spent $100 there lol. Imagine if I'd thought their selection was good I would have spent my paycheck.

After about 14 holes I called it a day and headed out around 2pm. I was tired after the early morning drive and had a long drive back. If I am able to attend next time I'd like to get a hotel room and attend over the 2 days.

The event was good, there is room for improvement though. Not necessarilly a fan friendly course walking wise and there are parts where the fans are walkig through knee high weeds to get around.

I'll entertain any questions if anyone has any.

1) Sam Da Soo is the official water of the LPGA. As far as I can tell, it's not available in the US but it was available at every tee box for their players. I wonder what went on behind the scenes to get a sponsor for a product hardly available outside Korea.

2) along as well as a gentleman that I'm sure is Ingee's manager, family member or someone because they would talk to each other a lot.

3) There was a pair of girls who kept a close,close eye on Ingee.

4) I can't remember who it was that said a few weeks back that a player was rude because she only signed and didn't chat to her daughter.

5) I went into the gift shop. It was somewhat of a letdown. Most of the items are Old American branded and/or your standard tournament logo on a polo shirt.

6) After about 14 holes I called it a day and headed out around 2pm. I was tired after the early morning drive and had a long drive back. If I am able to attend next time I'd like to get a hotel room and attend over the 2 days.

7) Not necessarilly a fan friendly course walking wise and there are parts where the fans are walkig through knee high weeds to get around.

Thanks for the detailed report.

1) Sam Da Soo advertising is targeted for all the golf obsessed Korean fans who watch the coverage....the Korean networks have paid handsomely for the coverage feed.

2) If the guy looks like this...it's In Gee coach....Dr. Won Park...who has a Korean golf robot academy/factory in S. Korea. He's the one that gave In Gee her nickname "Dumbo"...and Tom Abbott always banters why she has that nickname.

QhDN8rza_400x400.jpg

Kylie Pratt is In Gee's road manager...she use to be Hee Young Park's agent and caddie.

3) Female stalkers in training....future Flying Dumbos.

4) I think it was Jodi Hyphen...from the ANA

5) It's called a pro shop....not a gift shop....lol.....I doubt they built a dedicated merchandise tent for this event.

6) You're a PART TIMER :taunt: ....a real FANBOY would have stayed till 8pm when play was suspended.

7) Golf courses are designed for golfers...not the spectators...except for some TPC courses that planned to host major PGA tour events.

1) Jaye Marie green was very relaxed and loose even as she challenged for the lead.

2) Nicole B Larsen seemed very very tensed and focused, like in a bad way.

3) Yani tseng well she hit her ball right on 13 into the knee deep weeds, we could not find it but even as all 10 of us searched. There is some nasty stuff not too far off some of these fairways.

Thanks for your report...hope you are having a good time on 14 today.

1) JMG is a HUGE Chatty Cathy on tour while playing....her dad....Donnie...use to loop for her early on...he's a blast to chat with.

2) I remember reading about a really ill tempered Euro...it might be Nicole...she use to yell at her loop too????...maybe her brother or BF????....now Nicole has "man bun"...he use to caddie for Sandra Gal.

3) Yani couldn't find a farmer's field off the tee block nowadays...she looked really unhappy in coverage yesterday.....she use to be so happy go lucky before she became RR #1....the pressure has fried her confidence.

Actually, In Gee played on the Korean International Crown Team and the Korean Olympic Team in 2016. Might explain the Team Korea reference.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Nice top 10 for Lydia. Hopefully this shows that last week's play wasn't an anomalie.

That said, it's hard to draw any real conclusions from a rain shortened 36 hole tournament. Anything can happen in a 54 hole event, and in 36 holes some players are just getting warmed up.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Yu Liu and her father caddie are speaking Mandarin on the 9th tee block.

Tom Abbott...."What are they saying Kay?"

Tom is such a goof...but a well needed funny goof to offset the other BLAND commentary/reporting.

I know many viewers don't like Tom.

If you're at an event...Tom is great to chat with....doesn't take himself too seriously.

The gals on the LPGA love Tom.

He was actually a past collegiate golfer at a US school.

I was delayed in watching, but thrilled for Sung Hyun, she seemed almost lost a bit after the opening round at the ANA. Awesome chip in on 18.

Goofy week, but a great champion.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

This wouldn't have happened under Carolyn Biven's reign. :taunt:

In a very ironic twist, Bivens might have saved the LPGA, made the LPGA relevant again and made Mike Whan the "Comeback Commissioner of the Year."

Think about it. Every single thing Bivens did was wrong. She PO'd sponsors, players and the LPGA staff at a time when people needed to pull together. The LPGA BoD took a ton of input from those of us who applied and then took the best of those ideas and hired their guy in Mike Whan.

There is a new Korean gal...Kristen Yoon who is doing LPGA interviews....we saw her in the pre-tournament Jenny Shin interview.....doing double duty....helping out as a translator for Sung Hyun Park.

This wouldn't have happened under Carolyn Biven's reign. :taunt:

I know someone who applied for that job who spoke Japanese AND Korean but lacked golf knowledge.

The only player Alison Lee beat was long retired LPGA pro...Stephanie Louden.

11/36 GIR's.

IMO...I think Alison really needs to figure out what's wrong with her game before showing up at her next event.

At least Alison didn't WD today and showed up.

Not sure Alison is that serious about her game right now. I get the impression her and her significant other are enjoying life.

The man with the Umbrella is the man that talked to Ingee the whole round.

I can't tell if that's Won Park from that picture...but I have seen him in a hat like that and under an umbrella protecting himself from the sun.

But if this guy was chatting with In Gee the entire round...I doubt he was Park....coaches typically avoid any contact with their players because any playing advice is a rules violation.....and even if they were talking about food, K Drama or the NBA playoffs....the coaches don't want to attract any suspicions that they are chatting about golf with their players during the round.

I have seen quite a few coaches walking with their players and I have never recalled any coach interacting with their player during competition....they are typically watching from afar.

Parents stay away from their daughters too...except to chat about some exchange of food or drink.

Everyone wants to stay as invisible as possible to minimize any pressure on their daughters.

As much as the cameras are on BJ...I've yet to see him chat with Michelle during a round.

I'm fairly certain the gentleman with the umbrella is the good Doctor. I chatted with him at the KPMG last year.

Not sure Alison is that serious about her game right now. I get the impression her and her significant other are enjoying life.

I doubt that Alison is truly goofing off....I think she's injured and thinks she can play through it.

Alison has the potential to make 6 figures a year playing golf...if she got a normal job...she'd go nuts sitting in a cubicle 8 hrs a day making $45,000/yr.

And who is this significant other you speak of?