Boys trip Mexico in November

tips09

Hi guys me and my brother are trying to put a trip together in November for us and possibly two more for a golf and beach trip. We would probably go for 5-7 days and play 2-3 rounds while down there. Looking for a good mix of partying and then some good golfing on the few days we take a break from the craziness. We have both been to Cabo when we were younger and are completely into going back there again also open to other ideas as well. Any suggestions or tips would be awesome. Where to play? where to stay? Everyone on the trip would be mid to late 20s and on the golf course around 10-20 handicap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also with only playing 2-3 rounds would you suggest bringing our own clubs or just renting or is that not cost effective.

Thanks

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like the most obvious places would be Cabo, Puerto Vallarta or Cancun. I've been to all three and like Cabo the best, although I have not played any golf in PV or Cancun. IMO you can't really go wrong with Cabo. I'd put Cabo Del Sol on your to play list as it's public and you'll for sure get a tee time. If you are willing to sit through a time share presentation or stay at the resort, I've heard great things about Diamante. My wife and I stayed at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica, which allowed me access to play Quivira which was awesome. You all definitely would not regret playing there. PB Pacifica was more of a quiet couples resort so I don't think that would be a good fit for you all, but they have a few other properties downtown that would allow you all access to play Quivira if you wanted. Regardless, just be prepared to drop some big $ if you're wanting to play the high end courses in Cabo ($175 - $250 green fees or so).

I only played one round in Cabo so it was just easier to rent clubs. But I think it was $75 at Quivira so it may be a better deal for you all to bring your own clubs if you're going to be playing multiple times and don't mind the hassle. The rented clubs were plenty good, though (TM M2 driver, woods and irons).

It seems like the most obvious places would be Cabo, Puerto Vallarta or Cancun. I've been to all three and like Cabo the best, although I have not played any golf in PV or Cancun. IMO you can't really go wrong with Cabo. I'd put Cabo Del Sol on your to play list as it's public and you'll for sure get a tee time. If you are willing to sit through a time share presentation or stay at the resort, I've heard great things about Diamante. My wife and I stayed at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica, which allowed me access to play Quivira which was awesome. You all definitely would not regret playing there. PB Pacifica was more of a quiet couples resort so I don't think that would be a good fit for you all, but they have a few other properties downtown that would allow you all access to play Quivira if you wanted. Regardless, just be prepared to drop some big $ if you're wanting to play the high end courses in Cabo ($175 - $250 green fees or so).

I only played one round in Cabo so it was just easier to rent clubs. But I think it was $75 at Quivira so it may be a better deal for you all to bring your own clubs if you're going to be playing multiple times and don't mind the hassle. The rented clubs were plenty good, though (TM M2 driver, woods and irons).

Awesome. After chatting with the boys we are kind of leaning in the Cabo direction so thanks for the input.

Toulon San Diego

I would really research where you stay in Cabo. In the past, I would have no problems with going to Mexico, but now with the drug wars, I would be very careful. Even safe places in the past (Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cabo) are no longer safe especially if you go out at night with the intention of getting loaded and partying it up. Make sure you have proper insurance and register with the Canadian Gov't so if anything happens, they know where you are.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I would really research where you stay in Cabo. In the past, I would have no problems with going to Mexico, but now with the drug wars, I would be very careful. Even safe places in the past (Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cabo) are no longer safe especially if you go out at night with the intention of getting loaded and partying it up. Make sure you have proper insurance and register with the Canadian Gov't so if anything happens, they know where you are.

I go to Cabo regularly. You really have to work hard to find trouble there. If you’re staying a nice resort and only going to the main areas of town you have to work extra hard.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys me and my brother are trying to put a trip together in November for us and possibly two more for a golf and beach trip. We would probably go for 5-7 days and play 2-3 rounds while down there. Looking for a good mix of partying and then some good golfing on the few days we take a break from the craziness. We have both been to Cabo when we were younger and are completely into going back there again also open to other ideas as well. Any suggestions or tips would be awesome. Where to play? where to stay? Everyone on the trip would be mid to late 20s and on the golf course around 10-20 handicap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also with only playing 2-3 rounds would you suggest bringing our own clubs or just renting or is that not cost effective.

Thanks

We're down in Cabo a lot. So much that we would love to live half a year down there. Dream on. Anyway, Cabo del Sol Ocean is #1. Then it's a toss up between Puerto Los Cabos or Cabo del Sol Desert. Diamana Dunes is very good but as others said, you have to sit through a BS hard sell presentation to get the chance to play. If you're not bothered by that, have at it. Cabo Real is a decent track as well, a former host to the Champions Tour Skins Game some years back, and a little less expensive than the Cabo del Sol courses. Most all have twilight rates for a discounted cost after 1PM.

Quivira depends on the wind. Locals there told me it blows a 3, 4, 5 club wind 80% of the time. It was a full on 5 club wind under crystal blue skies when we played it so it was not enjoyable at all. You can tell the wind is ever present because half of the cart paths are covered in 2-3" of sand and several of the bunkers have ugly dried out straw bales stacked end to end to stop sand from the bunker from blowing out on the greens. But if you catch a calmer day, it is an eye candy golf course what with the views. Careful with driving the cart on the way up to the 5th tee !! And if you manage yourself well with the airport sharks or stay at one of the Pueblo Bonito resorts, that's the only way you can play Quivira.

Stay wise, if you want to party you want to be close to the town of Cabo San Lucas, not San Jose del Cabo. If you're not going to get a car you could consider Breathless all inclusive resort. Walking distance to Cabo across the marina and Breathless resorts have a definite party scene reputation. Grand Solmar Lands End is also very close to Cabo town and a very nice all inclusive place. Less expensive and right where Cabo del Sol golf courses are is the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar but it is about 10 miles from Cabo town so there would be some driving to party.

Thanks

We're down in Cabo a lot. So much that we would love to live half a year down there. Dream on. Anyway, Cabo del Sol Ocean is #1. Then it's a toss up between Puerto Los Cabos or Cabo del Sol Desert. Diamana Dunes is very good but as others said, you have to sit through a BS hard sell presentation to get the chance to play. If you're not bothered by that, have at it. Cabo Real is a decent track as well, a former host to the Champions Tour Skins Game some years back, and a little less expensive than the Cabo del Sol courses. Most all have twilight rates for a discounted cost after 1PM.

Quivira depends on the wind. Locals there told me it blows a 3, 4, 5 club wind 80% of the time. It was a full on 5 club wind under crystal blue skies when we played it so it was not enjoyable at all. You can tell the wind is ever present because half of the cart paths are covered in 2-3" of sand and several of the bunkers have ugly dried out straw bales stacked end to end to stop sand from the bunker from blowing out on the greens. But if you catch a calmer day, it is an eye candy golf course what with the views. Careful with driving the cart on the way up to the 5th tee !! And if you manage yourself well with the airport sharks or stay at one of the Pueblo Bonito resorts, that's the only way you can play Quivira.

Stay wise, if you want to party you want to be close to the town of Cabo San Lucas, not San Jose del Cabo. If you're not going to get a car you could consider Breathless all inclusive resort. Walking distance to Cabo across the marina and Breathless resorts have a definite party scene reputation. Grand Solmar Lands End is also very close to Cabo town and a very nice all inclusive place. Less expensive and right where Cabo del Sol golf courses are is the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar but it is about 10 miles from Cabo town so there would be some driving to party.

Thanks a ton for this information. It has been quite helpful. Still in the planning stages at this point so this is very good information for us.

Toulon San Diego