Bought a 9-wood, fortunately.

howellhandmade

Killing time in Golf Galaxy last week, I spotted a Heavenwood in the used club rack. Since I've read so much about them on here I thought I'd give it a try. As an afterthought I also grabbed the beat-up G400 9-wood right behind it and headed for the simulator. The Heavenwood was nice enough, was kind of considering whether or not to buy it, picked up the G400 for a change of pace.

First swing surprised me with a solid metallic CHINK and a nice 5-yard draw down the middle. The next half dozen swings were nearly the same. I could jump on it and push it past 210, but an easy swing carried around 200 and it seemed impossible to hit anywhere but the middle of the face, and I thought how useful it would be to have such an effortless 200 yards in the bag. Then I looked at the shaft. Tensei 65 gram A-flex. Dang. It's one thing to get older, another thing to admit it.

In a rare moment of sanity and humility, I bought the G400. Swapped out my G25 3-hybrid, and it has proven even more useful than I imagined. Since I'm neither particularly long nor straight off the tee, there are plenty of times when it is helpful to cover a fair bit of ground from sketchy lies. I've gouged balls out of thick rough, I've picked them out of fairway bunkers. I've hit over trees from the right rough and smothered hooks down the fairway from trouble on the left. It's become the obvious choice for layups on long par 5s, even from the fairway. Yesterday after one such second shot I overheard one of the guys in my group say, "He's killing that club, whatever it is." After topping one drive into the rough just ahead of the ladies tees on a par 4, instead of settling for a wedge and a third shot from the fairway I managed to plunge in and connect solidly with my 9-wood, putting it on the right front fringe for a par. Would it have been wiser to tee off with the 9-wood? Of course, but I'll likely never be that wise.

The one time that I stalled and yanked one out of bounds it was almost a relief that I hadn't unwittingly entered into some Faustian bargain for a club that always yielded an acceptable shot. So, there. I have a 9-wood with a senior-flex shaft in my bag. And it's not going anywhere. 11-wood next?

Maybe.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Killing time in Golf Galaxy last week, I spotted a Heavenwood in the used club rack. Since I've read so much about them on here I thought I'd give it a try. As an afterthought I also grabbed the beat-up G400 9-wood right behind it and headed for the simulator. The Heavenwood was nice enough, was kind of considering whether or not to buy it, picked up the G400 for a change of pace.

First swing surprised me with a solid metallic CHINK and a nice 5-yard draw down the middle. The next half dozen swings were nearly the same. I could jump on it and push it past 210, but an easy swing carried around 200 and it seemed impossible to hit anywhere but the middle of the face, and I thought how useful it would be to have such an effortless 200 yards in the bag. Then I looked at the shaft. Tensei 65 gram A-flex. Dang. It's one thing to get older, another thing to admit it.

In a rare moment of sanity and humility, I bought the G400. Swapped out my G25 3-hybrid, and it has proven even more useful than I imagined. Since I'm neither particularly long nor straight off the tee, there are plenty of times when it is helpful to cover a fair bit of ground from sketchy lies. I've gouged balls out of thick rough, I've picked them out of fairway bunkers. I've hit over trees from the right rough and smothered hooks down the fairway from trouble on the left. It's become the obvious choice for layups on long par 5s, even from the fairway. Yesterday after one such second shot I overheard one of the guys in my group say, "He's killing that club, whatever it is." After topping one drive into the rough just ahead of the ladies tees on a par 4, instead of settling for a wedge and a third shot from the fairway I managed to plunge in and connect solidly with my 9-wood, putting it on the right front fringe for a par. Would it have been wiser to tee off with the 9-wood? Of course, but I'll likely never be that wise.

The one time that I stalled and yanked one out of bounds it was almost a relief that I hadn't unwittingly entered into some Faustian bargain for a club that always yielded an acceptable shot. So, there. I have a 9-wood with a senior-flex shaft in my bag. And it's not going anywhere. 11-wood next?

Maybe.

Play whatever suits your game ...as they say the scorecard doesn’t care.. I play a 12 degree G400 sft in regular flex and I workout daily and bench press 315 for reps. It is what it is, seems the club and shaft suit your swing , transition, smoothness, tempo etc

There's something to be said about long, high, straight shots.

I have a new epic heavenwood, and an 11 wood you could carbon date. Throughout the years, I've won literally thousands of dollars with that 11 wood (steel shafted steelhead). Most of that has been on par 3's in the 175-200 range. But yeah, out of the rough, fairway bunkers, gotta go high and long over trees, and tight-must hit the fairway layup shots. There's not much those sticks can't accomplish.

Welcome to the club.

X________________________________ Sign Here

I got a 7 wood in the mail the other day. I immediately felt like an old guy when I took it out of the box. But ... I can't hit my 3 iron worth a damn and I already like this one better than that club. It's way easier. I think ... I am going to pull the shaft out of my less than reliable 3 wood, chop 1/2" off of the tip, and put it in this one. It should be a banger.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

I put in a 7 wood a while ago. Never knew it would be the club and it kicked out my 3 iron instantly. 185 to 205 is my distance now vs 190 with a hit it an hope it holds the green. I can do anything with it. Its a great utility club. Can hit it from any lie or situation. Amazing on par 3's. Had a hole in one with the damn thing. Just scared to end up with a bag full of woods. Its a slippery slop. High and straight is great.

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

I’ve been playing Heavenwood, 9-wood for a while. The 9-wood is actually an inch short just to fill the gap left by every hybrid I ever had that only wanted to go left.

There’s a lot to be said for easy to hit.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Maybe.

This lad and his lady stories.......

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

I’ve been playing Heavenwood, 9-wood for a while. The 9-wood is actually an inch short just to fill the gap left by every hybrid I ever had that only wanted to go left.

There’s a lot to be said for easy to hit.

Mine is standard length but I went to this setup last fall and love it. The Heavenwood and Divine Nine are so easy to hit and land soft. Great clubs and don’t make me miss hybrids one bit.

9W, fantastic playability. Dropped my 5 iron for the 9 wood, many years ago. I am not a big hitter but for me it works great out of the tall grass or from the fairway. Falls in-between

my 5 and 6 irons distance.

On a side note I play with a fairly new golfer, he has been playing 5 years, and instead of buying a regular set of irons, he opted for all woods, 11 - 9 - 7 - 5 - 4 woods. He is very consistent and very straight.

I put in a 7 wood a while ago. Never knew it would be the club and it kicked out my 3 iron instantly. 185 to 205 is my distance now vs 190 with a hit it an hope it holds the green. I can do anything with it. Its a great utility club. Can hit it from any lie or situation. Amazing on par 3's. Had a hole in one with the damn thing. Just scared to end up with a bag full of woods. Its a slippery slop. High and straight is great.

Dare to dream, son, dare to dream...

Is your G400 9w the regular or Sf tec version ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Is your G400 9w the regular or Sf tec version ?

The G400 9 wood only comes in the regular version.

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

Slow swinger here. I had a chance to demo used G400 9 wood and 7 woods this weekend while away on a short trip to the USA. They felt very smooth and super straight on the monitor. Was able to compare them for distance on a monitir with the G model 4 hybrid and SFT G 5 wood I bag now. Plus i was able to compare to a G400 5W (regular version) and G400 3H.

Same old story for me with 7 woods... really the same distance as my 4 H (not a 3 H). The 7 wood was effortless to hit though and straight. But my G SFT 5 wood is the good replacement I intended this year for my 3H. Similar distance (maybe a touch longer) than a well-struck 3H counting 3H rollout. But nearly all carry- effortlessly with the 5 SFT - mirroring what I see on the cours mostly. Not regretting that addition to the bag.

The 9w was pretty much a 5H replacement for me, perhaps a tad longer, high launch naturally and straight. That one has had me thinking about it a lot since my return. My 5 hybrid - several Ping models the past few years - has been close to 6i distance and hasn't been my favorite club . A 9W might be a good sub for the 5H and be maybe a "5 and a half" H type length for a lot of green approaches. A lot of coin though.

• 5 months later...

I bought one in a moment of fantasy

The vision I have in my mind is of joyful bliss

G400 23.5* & UST Elements Fire

I'm hoping it replaces a 5i, as tucked areas have become quite problematic, at that yardage.

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

Also a slow swinger, these days I carry four woods (#1, #4, #7, #9). I thought the 9w would kick the 4i out of the bag. But, although they're the same loft (24*), they have very different properties. The 9w is a little longer with a higher trajectory and little roll-out; the 4i is easier to hit straight with a lot of roll. Into the wind with tight fairways where accuracy is tantamount, it's the 4i; with the wind with hazards to carry but little trouble around a firm, fast green, it's the 9w. Since I was only gaming 13 clubs, I carry them both. BTW, all the woods (except the driver, which is a Ping Tisi-tec) are original Callaway Steelheads; the irons are original Callaway Steelhead X-14s. The putter is an original Ram Zebra. The only newer club in the bag is a Callaway MD4 50* GW that my wife bought me on a recent trip to Oregon. Classic clubs rock! :lock:

Why not just hit a 5 iron vs a 9 wood, are they not equivalent?

I would assess your launch angle and spin rate. A 5 iron has plenty of spin to hold greens.

Also a slow swinger, these days I carry four woods (#1, #4, #7, #9). I thought the 9w would kick the 4i out of the bag. But, although they're the same loft (24*), they have very different properties. The 9w is a little longer with a higher trajectory and little roll-out; the 4i is easier to hit straight with a lot of roll. Into the wind with tight fairways where accuracy is tantamount, it's the 4i; with the wind with hazards to carry but little trouble around a firm, fast green, it's the 9w. Since I was only gaming 13 clubs, I carry them both. BTW, all the woods (except the driver, which is a Ping Tisi-tec) are original Callaway Steelheads; the irons are original Callaway Steelhead X-14s. The putter is an original Ram Zebra. The only newer club in the bag is a Callaway MD4 50* GW that my wife bought me on a recent trip to Oregon. Classic clubs rock! :lock:

A friend of mine carries a 1, 4, 7, 9 and 11 woods . All Callaway. He is one of the best players i know from 180 to 230.

I just switched out a 20* hybrid for a 5 wood and find it flies higher and lands softer. Still use 23* & 26* hybrid.

Play what works for you.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

Why not just hit a 5 iron vs a 9 wood, are they not equivalent?

I would assess your launch angle and spin rate. A 5 iron has plenty of spin to hold greens.

9 wood is a 4 iron, not a 5

Seven wood has long been one of the best clubs in my bag and after reading this I obviously have no choice but to get a niner.

Thanks for costing me even more money!

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"