Downside of 14 way bags?

I enjoy my 14-way. I carry and don't think it is too heavy. Nor do I think there is a major chatter issue. I'll never use anything but a full length divider 14-way bag.

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

The 14-way golf bags I've seen massively increase the chattering of clubs together, compared to compact 3-way/4-way/5-way walking style bags. A 9-1/2" top with only a couple dividers forces the clubs together in a way that they might rub a bit but you've really got to shake the bag hard to get any chatter.

Really big "cart bag" with 4-way or 5-way dividers do let the clubs chatter a bit. But again, not as much as a 14-way one of the same size would.

Worst of all worlds was the Titleist cart bag I briefly used on my push cart. It has 14-way dividers on the top so it was chatter city. But only a 2-way or 3-way divider inside the bag so grips tangled massively and it was hard to get them in and out. Yikes.

A 14 or in my case 15 divider bag is great for a powered trolley or push cart. The grips don't get caught or tangled up and you know right where every club is.

The only time that I found this type of bag to be less convenient is when you have to put a handful of clubs back into the bag in a situation where:

you are in a riding cart,

playing on a course where you are limited to cart path only,

and you are carrying a handful of clubs to your ball.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

So I currently have the 14 way TaylorMade Crossover bag and like the size of it but I have noticed wear markes on the toes of the face of my irons from just riding in the cart. I know its not the end of the world but if I am spending $1500~ on a set of irons I want them to be taken care of. It seems that I would agree with a lot of others on here that the 14 way does allow more room for the irons to clank into each other. May go back and look into the 5 way TaylorMade Flext Tech regular stand bag as it has all the features of the 14 including the cart strappass through just will hopefully keep the clubs from clanking into each other....and no I will not get iron headcovers :)

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @TheShaun said:

> I think the 14 way keeps your irons from getting dinged and chattered up.

Thats funny; my experience is completely the opposite. As a walker who carries my bag, I tried to like a 14-way top, but found each clubhead was free to swing freely, bashing and crashing noisily into one another constantly.

End result; lots of dings and a very noisy round of golf!

• Like 1

If carrying, I prefer a 4 way top, for riding or pushing I like the organization of a 14 way top however, if one goes this route I would recommend making sure it has full length dividers for every well also. I enjoy my current bag, however it only has 2 full length dividers (not wells, just two dividers that separate the top and bottom three slots from the middle 8) and it can cause some crazy grip catching at times.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

> @DBLEAGLE said:

> If you have oversized putter grip your putter won’t fit in 14 way bag.

Fit in all of mine, general statement you made requires clarification, which model do you have/use and how big is putter grip?

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Another disqualification for me is that a 14-way bag makes it impossible for me to put my clubs in upside-down before putting it into by wheeled travel bag. Being able to do this better protects the clubs during transit and makes the balance **very much** better for wheeling around the airport and parking lot since most of the weight is down low near the wheels instead up up high near the top grab handle.

I agree with most of the comments above in favor of fewer than 14 dividers. I definitely find the 14-way more annoying to use on course and it actually result in more club chatter when carrying.

I'm on my 3rd season of having gone from the 14 way to a 2 way, and I don't miss it at all. I feel like chatter is less than before as the clubs are all lumped together rather than a few inches apart and able to gather momentum; the noise is lower with the 2 way as well. Additionally, I found it a nuisance to find the exact slot my club had to go back into, and many times I ended up putting a couple clubs in the same slot just due to being tired of looking. There's more tangle but I can deal. Others might be different but I'm happier with the simple 2 way.

I have a couple 14/15 way bags. My main bag is a MCB with 15 slots. 4 slots in the middle and 10 around the outside and 1 at the very front of the bag. Woods go in the middle, putter in at the very front of the bag. Alignment sticks in the extra slot. Wanted a bag that works great both on a push cart and a riding cart.

14 way Hoofer for walking and 14 way C130 for cart(s). I am not a fan only because of the whole club chatter thing. My clubs bang together more and with more force than with a 4 way and for that reason i am an iron covers.

However, the OCD in me just cannot deal with not having a specific place for each club.

Maybe I'm using my 14-way in an unusual way, but I never have bag chatter. Ever.

• Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Question for everyone. I have a 5 way top TaylorMade bag and I have noticed that my wood shafts are getting rubber marks on them from putting my putter in and out of the same opening as my woods. Will a 14 way top prevent that? Is it bad for the shafts? It simply rubs off with your finger

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

• 2 weeks later...

14 way bags with full dividers make your grips last and last. I wouldn't buy any other bag style. My iron grips are now 3 yrs old and driver/wood grips are 5 years old -- all grips are still original and in great condition (Titleist 913 woods and Mizuno JPX 850 irons). I play about 70 rounds/yr and I used to re-grip clubs every 12-15 months. These bags work great with a push cart but are not good for carrying due to extra weight and bulk. Bag is ~7 yr old Titleist 14 way stand made by SM and holding up well.

14 way bags with full dividers make your grips last and last. I wouldn't buy any other bag style. My iron grips are now 3 yrs old and driver/wood grips are 5 years old -- all grips are still original and in great condition (Titleist 913 woods and Mizuno JPX 850 irons). I play about 70 rounds/yr and I used to re-grip clubs every 12-15 months. These bags work great with a push cart but are not good for carrying due to extra weight and bulk. Bag is ~7 yr old Titleist 14 way stand made by SM and holding up well.

> @Tinker said:

> Seams all the new bags have done away with external putter tubes. I don’t use fat grips but I do use a mallet putter. The putter head takes too much room inside bag.

Its a little spendy but I just switched from a TaylorMade FlexTech with a 5 way top to this OGIO Alpha Convoy RTC Stand bag and I love it. One of the first newer bags I have seen with 14 FULL length dividers and its own dedicated putter well.

ystidn0w7h1f.png

4idm6p691j69.png

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

• 2 weeks later...

> @brew4eagle said:

> Personally I can't think of 1 upside of a 14 way bag. Just unnecessary imo.

They work will for people with extreme OCD. I have a buddy who has to know that every club is in the "correct" slot. But that's how he is with everything. Personally I hate them, if you gave me one for free I would give it to my buddy. :smiley:

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

My main issue was trying to test out multiple clubs at the course, an Orange Whip, or taking my SSG clubs with me to the course. Individual slots get crowded really quick, and the bag can get heavy. I recently switched to the new Ogio Shadow Fuse, and it's not as annoying. It's still a little irritating, but I've made it work. My biggest reason for switching was going to something a little smaller. It weighs about the same as my old Sun Mountain 4.5 14-way, but feels lighter when I have it fully loaded, which isn't very often.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

• 2 weeks later...

> @dubbelbogey said:

> Another disqualification for me is that a 14-way bag makes it impossible for me to put my clubs in upside-down before putting it into by wheeled travel bag. Being able to do this better protects the clubs during transit and makes the balance **very much** better for wheeling around the airport and parking lot since most of the weight is down low near the wheels instead up up high near the top grab handle.

> I agree with most of the comments above in favor of fewer than 14 dividers. I definitely find the 14-way more annoying to use on course and it actually result in more club chatter when carrying.

not all 14 ways tops are that restrictive. my Tour Edge Xtreme 3 manages the configuration of iron heads down for travel. I place the driver, fairway and hybrid in the center slots and keep the putter with head up so the iron heads don't nick it at the bottom of the bag.

another type I've used is an older Nike 14 way cart model that has a tad smaller footprint but provided good results too.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

• 4 years later...

14 way top and 14 full length dividers are 2 different things.

I spoke to an independent golf shop and it's all personal preference and what helps you sleep at night.The 14 way top and 14 full length dividers are the most effective when you ride as your your bag is straight up and down.If you use a push cart the bag is now on an angle..When it's on an angle and because 

The 14way dividers are not ridged like those plastic tubes ( do not use them ever!!) ,they are a nylon fabric and your clubs will still shift and occasionally still get hung up.I have the Sun Mountain Mavrick ( it's a riding cart bag ) you can tell by the front top pocket right at tge top of the crown and will have a flat bottom.I use it on a push cart anyway The Mavrick has 14 way top and 14 full length dividers and my clubs still get hung up from time to time...Some people absolutely will not buy a bag without them others are indifferent to it. It's all preference.I say go with a bag that has the best functionality,  design, color preference and for the application you'll be using it riding, push cart, carry then worry about the top and then dividers last. They have bags with  full length dividers ie 3( quite a few are like that) that are exceptionaly nice golf bags and arguably much nicer and better made than some that have 14 way full length dividers .Callayway Org 14, Sun Mountain Maverick,  Sync and C130 all have full length dividers. The thing with Sun Mountain bags is there are people that absolutely love them while others hat them.Just don't rip the club out or force it in the bag when there is resistance.There are brands out there like Mizuno for example that are not mass produced on a huge scale like Calaway,Cobra,Taylormade and yes even Sun Mountain and because of that the bag quality could be better in a Mizuno bag for example and are not an in your face golf brand but are a top brand just not "Main stream" for lack of better term. 

Edited by SImDP22

14 way C130 for carts. It's a beast and I love it.

Adidas Clutch 6 way for range, walking, travel.

IMO, There's no better way to bang your clubs up than a 4 way on a cart.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's