Sentry World or Lawsonia Links

marks21

Heading to Sand Valley later this summer and have an extra day to play on of these courses. Which one would

you choose?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

Lawsonia is nearly a cult favorite here. And for good reason. Personally I like Sentry World a lot. The conditions are generally excellent and I have never seen them poor. The staff is super friendly. I think from a "pure" golf perspective Lawsonia is the superior track. There are a couple holes at Sentry that lack imagination and one that I think is a little contrived, but I always look forward to playing it.

You might consider your question this way: Would I rather play a quality links style course, ie. Lawsonia or would I rather play a more classic parkland style course, ie. Sentry World.

Quality choices either way.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Lawsonia is nearly a cult favorite here. And for good reason. Personally I like Sentry World a lot. The conditions are generally excellent and I have never seen them poor. The staff is super friendly. I think from a "pure" golf perspective Lawsonia is the superior track. There are a couple holes at Sentry that lack imagination and one that I think is a little contrived, but I always look forward to playing it.

You might consider your question this way: Would I rather play a quality links style course, ie. Lawsonia or would I rather play a more classic parkland style course, ie. Sentry World.

Quality choices either way.

Phred

Good write up, but I think you should really mention the greens at Lawsonia or else you are doing the place a disservice. I think it was Golf magazine that rated Lawsonia as having either the best or most fun greens to play in the entire USA, forgot which of those two terms they used. But either way, some pretty impressive praise.

The greens really do stand out at the Links course, even moreso than the Links aspect of the course. My favorite view on the course is standing atop the 18th green at first dew. Looking out at the back nine, the dew covered greens stand out like massive flying saucers in a sea of fescue and fairway.

Also, the price at Lawsonia is another great draw. $95 at peak, $130 play all day on both courses rate and plenty of deals throughout the summer. $65 over 4th of July weekend is a great deal.

Marks21,

I am guessing that you are considering Sentry and Lawsonia given their relative proximity to Sand Valley. Nothing wrong with that. But if you are coming up from Iowa you will be blowing right past University Ridge on the southwest corner of Madison. If you haven't played it I would add it to your list.

Puttnforthe8 gives me too much credit. But if I have had the good fortune to play many of the public and private courses in the area. If only my game were worthy of the time I've spent chasing it!

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Tough...Sentry is pretty nice now after all the improvements. I think I would still go with Lawsonia purely from the golf course perspective. But can't go wrong with either.

You are not considering Erin Hills?

Playing Erin Hills twice over Memorial Day weekend and knocked out Kohler last year. I was all set for Lawsonia but ran in to some other golfers over the weekend and they mentioned Sentry World would be a good combination to SV. Would love to knock both out while up that way but only have one day available.

Toulon Portland H3

Marks21,

I am guessing that you are considering Sentry and Lawsonia given their relative proximity to Sand Valley. Nothing wrong with that. But if you are coming up from Iowa you will be blowing right past University Ridge on the southwest corner of Madison. If you haven't played it I would add it to your list.

Puttnforthe8 gives me too much credit. But if I have had the good fortune to play many of the public and private courses in the area. If only my game were worthy of the time I've spent chasing it!

Phred

Already have it on my schedule. We are heading to the Dells Friday and Saturday, playing Wild Rock on Saturday, Sunday will either be Lawsonia or Sentry, Monday is the Sand Box and SV, Tuesday is Mammoth, heading home Wednesday and playing University Ridge on the way.

Toulon Portland H3

Marks21,

Phred

Already have it on my schedule. We are heading to the Dells Friday and Saturday, playing Wild Rock on Saturday, Sunday will either neither Lawsonia or Sentry, Monday is the Sand Box and SV, Tuesday is Mammoth, heading home Wednesday and playing University Ridge on the way.

FYI: Last Friday afternoon the traffic between Madison and The Dells sucked. Between quantity and construction there were some start and stop sections on I-94/90. Give yourself room if you have a schedule to meet.

Phreddy

Marks21,

Phred

Already have it on my schedule. We are heading to the Dells Friday and Saturday, playing Wild Rock on Saturday, Sunday will either be Lawsonia or Sentry, Monday is the Sand Box and SV, Tuesday is Mammoth, heading home Wednesday and playing University Ridge on the way.

FYI, if you are going only play Lawsonia on Sunday I recommend getting the play all day package which lets you play on their Woodlands course as well. Links is more famous, but the woodlands course is a beauty in its own right. most holes you don't see another hole, only nature. I think it's $130 to play all day.

• 2 weeks later...

Just played both Lawsonia and Sentry this past weekend. The green complexes at Lawsonia are amazing. But i walked away liking but not loving Lawsonia. The bunkers were horribly kept. Something that bugs me is when i see weeds in areas of play. The rough(not the fescue) was full of dandelions. With a little money put in to it for a face lift, Lawsonia would be epic! And when you hear "links" dont expect Bandon style playability. Definitely a course played through the air for a majority of the holes.

Sentry World was in immaculate condition! Ideal parkland layout. Greens were VERY slow but in excellent shape. Im a links style fan but the battle of these two courses goes to Sentry for me. And that doesn't mean i wouldnt recommend Lawsonia, just my preference is Sentry.

And the drive from Sentry to SV is alot easier.

I played the links last weekend and thought the same thing. Bunkers need a lot of work. Big rocks, could use more sand. The woodlands bunkers were even worst last year if you look up my old Post about it.

If you're going to have a top 10 track, the conditions have to improve.

Fun layout otherwise, and I was still happy driving 2 hours for a $55 round there. Not worth much over $75 though.

Lawsonia links hands down. From Wisconsin and played a lot of courses and the links is one of my favorites.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Really surprised to hear about the bunkers on the Links. They were in good shape last year. I do remember hearing that they are planning to re-do all the bunkers on both courses in the next year or so. I'll be up there for the first time in a few weeks, I'll report back on the bunker conditioning and any plans they have to fix them. I know the bunkers on the Woodlands have been a problem for a long time.

I don't remember a problem with the bunkers on The Links last year either. I too, will have to do some first hand investigative work in the near future.

As far as LL vs SW; I have never played Sentry World but my impression is that I could pony up $100+ and get that experience many places. Lawsonia Links has a uniqueness to it. Diving up to the property, you would think that you are in for a typical parkland/woodland experience - of which you will find immediately adjacent in the Woodlands course - but this is far from the reality. What you get are true fast and firm conditions from tee through green; the best set of greens I've ever played, and that list includes Butler National, Chicago Highlands, Arcadia Bluffs... You get to play shots both blind and otherwise, which you won't find on many modern courses. The Golden Hour on the back nine is about as perfect a golf scene as there is in the region. It's an architectural masterpiece, if you are in to that sort of thing. Everything (except the driving range) comes together on The Links to exemplify the soul of the game.

I think the peak rate is $95, and there are many tee times available for much less. Play it, if you have the opportunity, and at the very least you walk away with the feeling that you played a quality layout, or you may walk with one of a handful of golf memories that you will cherish and remember for years.

• Like 1

I don't remember a problem with the bunkers on The Links last year either. I too, will have to do some first hand investigative work in the near future.

As far as LL vs SW; I have never played Sentry World but my impression is that I could pony up $100+ and get that experience many places. Lawsonia Links has a uniqueness to it. Diving up to the property, you would think that you are in for a typical parkland/woodland experience - of which you will find immediately adjacent in the Woodlands course - but this is far from the reality. What you get are true fast and firm conditions from tee through green; the best set of greens I've ever played, and that list includes Butler National, Chicago Highlands, Arcadia Bluffs... You get to play shots both blind and otherwise, which you won't find on many modern courses. The Golden Hour on the back nine is about as perfect a golf scene as there is in the region. It's an architectural masterpiece, if you are in to that sort of thing. Everything (except the driving range) comes together on The Links to exemplify the soul of the game.

I think the peak rate is $95, and there are many tee times available for much less. Play it, if you have the opportunity, and at the very least you walk away with the feeling that you played a quality layout, or you may walk with one of a handful of golf memories that you will cherish and remember for years.

:clapping: :clapping: :drinks: :heart:

Best. Post. Ever.

• Like 1

:clapping: :clapping: :drinks: :heart:

Best. Post. Ever.

I would also echo those sentiments, although not nearly as eloquently. Having played both multiple times, my impression of SentryWorld is of a challenging layout with high-end country club type look/feel to it. A great course that, as a Wisconsin resident, I felt the need to play, but not one that I would ever recommend over Lawsonia. The Links course is, to me, the closest to a "pure golf" experience as one can get in the Midwest, perhaps anywhere. I would pay money just to walk the course and putt all 18 greens from various locations, they are that fun. And the back nine, as mentioned above, is a moment during which you remember why you ever caught the golf bug. Being able to visualize all of the other holes, greens, and the golfers attempting to conquer them from almost the entire nine (especially the 11th tee box) is an experience that makes me wish I had the Links as my local course, where I could play each and every day (retirement plan?). Sure, the conditions might not be absolutely perfect tee to green (SentryWorld definitely perfect conditions going for it), but for me that doesn't detract from the round at all. It's definitely an experience that I recommend to anyone traveling to Wisconsin for golf, and I'll be dragging my brother out there to play this year since he sadly has yet to experience it.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

Looped twice at the Links on Monday. Buddy and I went out at 720, walked the first 18. We were set for 12 at the Woodlands course, but let's just say I won out on playing the Links again. It came down to rock paper scissors, best of 3, I was Links, he was Woodlands.

We road the second round and got to talking about the course and how much we both loved it. From the amazing greens and certain bogey if you miss the green on the steep side(s), to the blind shots, cross bunkering, and no two holes are alike IMO. The shortest par 4's (other than 17) offer the sharpest angle off the tee and smaller green and tougher appraoch vs. the two longest par 4,s are realtively straight forward off the tee and offer longer approaches to greens that offer the best run up opportunities.

Other than playing the course, we had the most fun talking about the course. And the shot of the day was on the boxcar par 3. Pin = back left, my buddy hits the green on the front in the middle a pace on. I chuckle and wished him luck and he drains the putt with me tending the flag. Unbelievable!

Looped twice at the Links on Monday. Buddy and I went out at 720, walked the first 18. We were set for 12 at the Woodlands course, but let's just say I won out on playing the Links again. It came down to rock paper scissors, best of 3, I was Links, he was Woodlands.

We road the second round and got to talking about the course and how much we both loved it. From the amazing greens and certain bogey if you miss the green on the steep side(s), to the blind shots, cross bunkering, and no two holes are alike IMO. The shortest par 4's (other than 17) offer the sharpest angle off the tee and smaller green and tougher appraoch vs. the two longest par 4,s are realtively straight forward off the tee and offer longer approaches to greens that offer the best run up opportunities.

Other than playing the course, we had the most fun talking about the course. And the shot of the day was on the boxcar par 3. Pin = back left, my buddy hits the green on the front in the middle a pace on. I chuckle and wished him luck and he drains the putt with me tending the flag. Unbelievable!

Great post ode!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lawsonia is IMO the most perfect golf course I've ever played. If you had to play one golf course only the rest of your life you would never get bored if you chose the Links.

And I'll agree with your other point. I too have spent many a day on the Links just talking about how great the course is with whoever I'm paired with.

I'm so fired up to get up there for the first time this year next week! I'm going to call them today and renew my membership. With me being on the DL to start the year, I'll probably lose a few dollars on the $1600 membership, but I'm happy to contribute to the course and I just love being able to say I'm a member at my favorite all time golf course.

Just re-upped my membership for the year at Lawsonia. Heading there this weekend for the first time this year. So fired up!

Enjoy! Be sure to come back with some feedback on the conditions, as I’m hoping to get up there in July for a 36 day.

Byron Morgan 612
Snell MTB X

Great time at Lawsonia this weekend. Short weekend, only got in a couple rounds, both on the Links. Course was in great shape, greens already in mid season form. Was only in a couple bunkers. One bunker on 17 greenside could've used a little more sand in it, but other than that all the bunkers I looked at looked in good shape. I'll do a closer look of the bunkers this coming weekend and report back. Admittedly, didn't look at too many of them.

Love being a member out there. They bend over backwards to accommodate and do such a great job getting me on the course in spots where I can play at a good pace even as a single. Played with my wife Saturday morning at 6:45 and was done by around 10. We were sitting on the clubhouse balcony eating breakfast and watching people tee off on #1 and #10 by 10:30. Played at 7 the next morning as a single and was done by 9:15.

Played really well tee to green, but as expected struggled with the speed and subtle reads on the greens both rounds. Happens every year first weekend up. There's some big obvious breaks out there, but there's so many little breaks on the 3-4 footers that are so difficult to pick up on. Thankfully I was doing everything else really well, hit 20-26 fairways and 18 GIR for the weekend, but not a single birdie. Even had a rare eagle putt on 5 (the Road Hole) and managed to turn that into a par. Did manage to shoot a 79 yesterday from the gold tees, first time under 80 in 2 years.

Looking forward to getting back up there Friday for 5 days in a row of golf. Will get one in on the Woodlands that weekend as well, wife loves the wildlife out there.

For those of you who intend to play Sentry World because Zer0 has booked all the tee times at Lawsonia, Sentry World is doing a DryJect aeration of the greens July 2-9. They insist that this is a low impact process that will not impact green speeds, however, they are offering discounted rates through the period.

Phred

Great time at Lawsonia this weekend. Short weekend, only got in a couple rounds, both on the Links. Course was in great shape, greens already in mid season form. Was only in a couple bunkers. One bunker on 17 greenside could've used a little more sand in it, but other than that all the bunkers I looked at looked in good shape. I'll do a closer look of the bunkers this coming weekend and report back. Admittedly, didn't look at too many of them.

Love being a member out there. They bend over backwards to accommodate and do such a great job getting me on the course in spots where I can play at a good pace even as a single. Played with my wife Saturday morning at 6:45 and was done by around 10. We were sitting on the clubhouse balcony eating breakfast and watching people tee off on #1 and #10 by 10:30. Played at 7 the next morning as a single and was done by 9:15.

Played really well tee to green, but as expected struggled with the speed and subtle reads on the greens both rounds. Happens every year first weekend up. There's some big obvious breaks out there, but there's so many little breaks on the 3-4 footers that are so difficult to pick up on. Thankfully I was doing everything else really well, hit 20-26 fairways and 18 GIR for the weekend, but not a single birdie. Even had a rare eagle putt on 5 (the Road Hole) and managed to turn that into a par. Did manage to shoot a 79 yesterday from the gold tees, first time under 80 in 2 years.

Looking forward to getting back up there Friday for 5 days in a row of golf. Will get one in on the Woodlands that weekend as well, wife loves the wildlife out there.

Glad to hear it’s in such good shape! Not that I was expecting anything else really...hoping to make a quick day trip on the 11th for a 36 day. I’ve done 18 on each in the past, walking the links, including one trip that involved 54 holes in one day, but might just play 36 on the links this time!

Byron Morgan 612
Snell MTB X

Glad to hear it’s in such good shape! Not that I was expecting anything else really...hoping to make a quick day trip on the 11th for a 36 day. I’ve done 18 on each in the past, walking the links, including one trip that involved 54 holes in one day, but might just play 36 on the links this time!

My favorite day out there was during one golf trip, we played 36 holes to wrap up the weekend competition and at the end we were all tied up so of course we decided the only fair way to end it was with a 9 hole playoff on the Links so back out we went. Still tied so we went to the par 3 #14 and played it over and over again sudden death until we had a winner.

For the past 24 years, myself and 7 other old college buddies have done an annual 6 day tournament. Lawsonia has been one of our favorite haunts over the years. We have been all over Wisconsin, Florida, TN, PA but It's been about 7 years since our crew last played the Links or Woodlands. We are returning to Lawsonia this fall for 6 days of competitive golf. Can't wait--------- Always love shooting Tee shots over the backs of White Tail deer on the Woodlands

Pretty cool pub for Lawsonia today on Morning Drive. Bradley Klein, head writer for Golf Advisor called Lawsonia Links his favorite course in Wisconsin. I obviously agree.

posting the link to the interview, not sure if it will go through as I'm not good at links. (no pun intended)

https://www.facebook.com/golflawsonia/videos/10155756198121173/