More than halfway through the PGA Tour Season, Jordan Spieth is one of the worst putters on tour. Ho

flopshotscott

His stroke still looks the same, it’s going to something minor, a small adjustment and he will be off again.

Sim 2 Max 10.5 Tensei CK Blue 60X
Sim 2 Max 15 HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.5 

Titleist 816 H2 - 21 (C1) Aldila Rogue Black 85X 
Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Bridgestone Tour B XS

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet announcers keep saying he's one of the best putters on tour.

Hank Haney said JS was 205th in putts inside 3 feet. That's a bad stat to own.

I feel he way over thinks everything

Haney also says he has the yips. Says he can see a twitch in his hands.

uh oh

already time for the SuperStroke Fatso 5.0

I was just coming in to say at what point does he switch putters? Even if it's for a tournament, sometimes it's all the boost you need to get some confidence back... I get the loyalty and his putter is now probably the most talked about putter on tour but at this point it seems like it can't hurt to use a different one, see what happens then go back if you want... or don't... it's just a putter. I know he knows it's him and his setup and most likely just his brain but just get the ball in the hole!

Yea. Give him a popsicle and All is well.

Yips ? Nope. He doesn’t stay over a putt nearly long enough to say yips. If anything he’s too quick.

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM 300 13.5* Tensei CK blue 80TX

TM Sim2 max 16.5 MMT 70x 

Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist T100 5-pw MMT 125 TX 

Very sm7 50 edel sms 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I was just coming in to say at what point does he switch putters? Even if it's for a tournament, sometimes it's all the boost you need to get some confidence back... I get the loyalty and his putter is now probably the most talked about putter on tour but at this point it seems like it can't hurt to use a different one, see what happens then go back if you want... or don't... it's just a putter. I know he knows it's him and his setup and most likely just his brain but just get the ball in the hole!

Doing that for a guy who has had that much success with one stick and one motion is an admission of defeat. Some guys swap out regularly. They were born defeated. The guy who uses one for years doesn’t want to get to the low of being of the the guys who swaps looking for a band aid.

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM Sim2 max 16.5 MMT 70x 

Doing that for a guy who has had that much success with one stick and one motion is an admission of defeat. Some guys swap out regularly. They were born defeated. The guy who uses one for years doesn't want to get to the low of being of the the guys who swaps looking for a band aid.

That's an excellent way of putting it, and agree. I just wonder at this point what is going to change his attitude since week in and week out he seems defeated on the course anyway. I know he talks confidently like he'll bounce back in press conferences but this has been a few months now.

Yea. Give him a popsicle and All is well.

Yips ? Nope. He doesn’t stay over a putt nearly long enough to say yips. If anything he’s too quick.

While I don’t believe Spieth has anything remotely close to the yips, a quick routine doesn’t mean he doesn’t have it. If anything, it’s an argument that he goes quick to avoid a yip.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reforming club addict.

My response to the OP... Until the next tournament. Jordan Speith is the real deal. He's earned the right to have a bad day, a bad week, a bad month. For chrissakes I'm good at my job but I've had bad stretches. Spieth is the real deal, nobody can argue he hasn't proven that. And I'm quite certain you won't have to rely on me in the near term - he'll prove it himself...

What tournament was it that he put a Scotty mallet in play? Was it last year?

Byron Nelson I think. Lasted one tournament maybe?

Yeah. A missed cut and he was back to the 009. If I remember correctly he said when he was originally fitted the mallet was the recommendation based on his stroke and alignment but he really wanted the 009.

He'll be fine. He's an analytical player and it seems that he sometimes overthinks otherwise simple putts. But that is also one thing that makes him great.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

He was a really good putter for maybe 18 months when he was on a tear but since then the only area his putting has been any good is around top 5 outside 20ft. That good 18 months kept the announcers thinking he was gods gift but the last 2 years he has been average to poor from anywhere inside 20ft.

that logic can be applied to Rory , DJ and Jday... hell even Adam Scott..

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM Sim2 max 16.5 MMT 70x 

How long, ask Yani Tseng. 5 majors 27 wins, 16 LPGA, poof all gone can't putt or even make cuts..

Almost shot 62 at augusta 4 weeks ago to steal the masters.... this isnt Ian Baker Finch

Amazing how You and I seem to be the only two who saw that round.. lol.. I mean he nearly broke the course record on the course that some claim is the cause of his slump ... I think hes shown Augusta National that she cant keep him down more than a few holes at a time .

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM Sim2 max 16.5 MMT 70x 

With this victory, Justin will go to #3 in the world, which equals his career high.

No. Not possible at his age with all the talent and deeper fields.

Id like to see him face down one of the current crop of young guns.

Then lets see how he does. He will collapes like a cheap old house of cards ; )

Lol.I appreciate your consistency on this. Special talent is special talent. whether its in 1970-1980-1990-2000 or now near 2020. Who can forget a 17 year old Rose holing out to finish 4th in 98 at birkdale? He struggled mightily when he turned pro missing 20+ cuts in a row. He became a star through hard work and despite being an inconsistent putter. Elite ball striker.As good as anyone with irons on tour. He will end up in the HOF

Yes, he just keeps working through the ups and downs, the putter is very hot right now, hope he keeps rolling. Always liked him. "Class act" is bandied about a lot but in his case, it applies.

Now, as far as your mention of my "consistency" on the matter of the over hyped young guns...

People say, oh, these young guns, they just arent scared of Tiger. Ok, thats easy to say now.

But, the flip side is that all these "old timers" like Rose, Casey, Phil, Stenson. They arent intimidated in the least by the "young guns"

Rose sent linebacker Brooks home to his pec deck.

They all remember what it was like to really have somebody unbeatable out there.

See if TW cant go on a little Tiger 1.0 run and crap on everbodys parade ; )

Its a by product of our society. "what have you done for me lately?" my buddy just today told me Patrick Reed is in a slump... i looked at him and said "jesus christ" as he was serious. " what has he done since the masters?" was his "legit" question....

that's golf ? some days I make almost every putt , next time I cant putt to save my life...

Cobra F9 Speedback driver 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black

OP- why do you care if he takes accountability for his putting or not? It’s an individual sport and only he’s held accountable.

It’s not like baseball where if a pitcher is going trough a slump, the team sufferer. It’s JS pay check/endorsements.

Pretty sure his endorsers are very happy with him overall so it’s really not that big of a deal.

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master

Spieth says he's close and I believe him. He still has tons of confidence and is maybe a bit too confident right now. To the point of forcing it a little too much. His 3 putts are mostly from jamming 15 footers 6 feet past the hole and lipping out the come backer. In my non expert opinion he just needs to work on speed control so that if they miss there is no stress on the next one. Lets face it, 3 putting from inside 20 feet is just throwing shots away and he has been doing it about once a round. He seems to want that first one a little too much. That is a just a small self discipline issue and it's very fixable. When you run putts 6 feet past it just shrinks the hole anyways. He is a smart guy and he has good people around him. He will figure this out and when he matches good putting with his all world ball striking he will get on the best roll of his career. All you YJS haters out there are in for 10 years of real disappointment.

Its pretty clear something is way off in his process, hes looking clueless over a lot of putts lately. He seems yippy over short putts and unsure over long putts and his distance control. I'd bet he added something instead of losing something if that makes sense. Who knows how long it will take but he will figure it out and get back to form.

I've always thought hes a player that really struggles to control his brain. At his best he "putts out of his mind". Thats not an easy thing to turn on. He could've added something to his process (green book) to hopefully unlock his mind and it has made an even bigger mess.

Agree with the above. His talent is getting to the zone. Doesn’t need props to help in that.

One thing I’ve noticed comparing now to 2015. He looks like his feet are closer together ( narrow) now vs then ? I’m sure someone smarter than me is watching his every putt.

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM Sim2 max 16.5 MMT 70x 

Didn't he miss a 15 inch putt recently? Also, on a 5 foot putt didn't he miss the hole by a foot? What causes that?

There's something going on with his stroke. I hope he sorts it out real soon. I'm a big JS fan and want to see him

winning again.

WITB 2022

Always a Game Day Decision

Wherever You Go There You Are

I'm only half kidding in asking this...he was never a great putter at close range I don't believe. You mention he's currently number two (in strokes gained?) getting to the green. Is it possible he's just getting it closer to the pin on his approach and his weakness on short putts is becoming more apparent? Statistics can capture some weird things.

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]