How to Become the Best Putter in the World....

Am I the best putter in the world? Probably not, but I DO feel like I am and that is what matters. The best thing I ever did for putting was 26 years ago when all I did was putt and play.... I was playing golf for a living so I spent all my free practice time putting for hours upon hours during the time I was not playing. During that 3 month stretch the first thing I did when I woke up in the morning was look in the mirror and say "I am the best putter in the world". It's amazing how combined with hard practice that after a while you actually start believing it.

I never actually TRY to make putts, my sole objective is to "put a good stroke on it" and this is the mantra I use when I am standing over each putt. If it doesn't go in, I am not disappointed because that wasn't my goal, it was just the end result and thinking otherwise can lead to problems such as the Yips which starts with being too results oriented and not enough process oriented.

I have been doing these drills for 26 years and I promise they work like a charm and the longer you do them for the better putter you will become. Once you can finish drills 2 through 4 in the 30-45 minute range then you know you will be on the right track to being a GREAT putter.

1. Practice on a chalk line from 6 feet....25 putts with your right hand only and another 25 with both hands. There are plenty of other drills you can do on a chalk line, but it is important to groove your eyes and stroke at the same time to know what a straight putt is, because essentially they are all played as straight putts. Another great "free" training aid you can use is to tuck your left arm sleeve under your arm pit. I have been doing this for years and recently have noticed that Justin Rose has been doing this too before each putt, much like the right hand only drill, this will help you release the putter.

2. Put a tee down at 3, 5, and 7 feet....take 3 balls and make 3 in a row from each distance. You have to start over if you miss any of them, so after 9 in a row you're done ! I learned this drill from Dottie Pepper, and it really turns you into a great short clutch putter! I saw this drill take her 1 hour and 45 minutes to finish one day and that was when she was the #1 woman golfer in the world!

3. Walk off 20 feet (7 steps approx ) from each side of the hole and put a tee in the ground from each....it's best to have 20 ft uphill and then 20 ft downhill from the other side. Take 3 balls and you have to roll all 3 and get them even with the hole (not short) and not go more than 3 feet past, then repeat from the other side until you have gotten 10 in a row inside of 3 feet without being short......the 10th ball is the pressure putt ! This is a great feel drill because you have to adapt your feel from putt to putt!

4. Put a tee in the ground at 30 ft and using 5 balls, you have to get all 5 inside of a 3 ft circle (usually the length of a putter), then move to 40 ft, 50 ft and finally 60 ft and do the same.....no cheating, but you only have to start over at the distance you were previously at! Each putt you hole counts as 2 points, so essentially this allows you to miss one and make one to still reach 5 points for each distance before moving on.

I hope this helps some of you also start believing that you are the best putter in the world!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not into drills but I think your “Im the best putter in the world” has a lot of merit.

Putting is all about confidence, more so than just about any other facet of the game and it’s a bit of a case of fake it until you make it. While I step up to the ball I just keep saying in my head “you got this, you got this” over and over again until I hit the putt.

I never actually TRY to make putts, my sole objective is to "put a good stroke on it" and this is the mantra I use when I am standing over each putt. If it doesn't go in, I am not disappointed because that wasn't my goal

Golden

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

It never fails. . .a guy writes a post about a 45-90 minute practice routine that he's been doing for 26 years and someone says, "putting is all about confidence". OK, you take the guy who says "you got this" over and over, and I'll take the guy who has been doing drills for 26 years.

I took a drill out of a golf magazine once that would relate to drills 3/4 in the OP (and might be a little more "fun"). . .

Find a hole on the practice green. Put single balls at 20/30/40 feet. You get 3 points for a sink, 2 points if you're within 3 feet long, 1 point if you're within 3 feet short. (3 feet, or a putter length, whatever is easiest, but not with a broom putter).

Repeat the drill to 5 new holes for a total of 6 holes, preferably changing uphill, downhill, sidehill, etc. When I learned about the drill, the writer said "pro level" was around 24 points.

A good variation (from experience) : instead of scoring based on "3-feet", I'll take 2 points if I'm past the hole and make the comebacker, 1 point if I'm short and make the second one. 0 points if you miss the second putt.

Note : 24 is a good score. If I get 22, that's all right. I've gotten 26 playing with tough putts, and 30 points on easy greens.

It's a good drill because you're scoring yourself; it's "game conditions". You can play against your personal record, or any sort of benchmark to put pressure on yourself. Start out trying to get 18 or 20. Not as easy as it sounds.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

It never fails. . .a guy writes a post about a 45-90 minute practice routine that he's been doing for 26 years and someone says, "putting is all about confidence". OK, you take the guy who says "you got this" over and over, and I'll take the guy who has been doing drills for 26 years.

I took a drill out of a golf magazine once that would relate to drills 3/4 in the OP (and might be a little more "fun"). . .

Find a hole on the practice green. Put single balls at 20/30/40 feet. You get 3 points for a sink, 2 points if you're within 3 feet long, 1 point if you're within 3 feet short. (3 feet, or a putter length, whatever is easiest, but not with a broom putter).

Repeat the drill to 5 new holes for a total of 6 holes, preferably changing uphill, downhill, sidehill, etc. When I learned about the drill, the writer said "pro level" was around 24 points.

A good variation (from experience) : instead of scoring based on "3-feet", I'll take 2 points if I'm past the hole and make the comebacker, 1 point if I'm short and make the second one. 0 points if you miss the second putt.

Note : 24 is a good score. If I get 22, that's all right. I've gotten 26 playing with tough putts, and 30 points on easy greens.

It's a good drill because you're scoring yourself; it's "game conditions". You can play against your personal record, or any sort of benchmark to put pressure on yourself. Start out trying to get 18 or 20. Not as easy as it sounds.

Too add to that...you have to have something to base your confidence in. Drills can get you point to where you can trust your stroke and speed.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

What about reading breaks?

What about it?

All of his drills are about making putts so all of his drills are about reading breaks.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

What about it?

All of his drills are about making putts so all of his drills are about reading breaks.

I probably misread but I thought that it was about straight putts. To be a world class putter you need to be a world class break reader as well. For example using Aimpoint Express.

You don't need drills to build confidence, you just need to build confidence on soemthing other than the result.

It took me a while to understand that. I always thought sound mechanics lead to confidence and that poor mechanics could never less to confidence, only true if you base your confidence on the result.

Zen putting helps this concept alot.

For what it's worth, I think putting needs all 3 - a life time of good mechanic practise, unwavering confidence in ones self that isn't attached to results, and a target focussed approach while playing.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Reading greens is easy once you learn how to roll a putt straight end over end.... In high school and college I was a great ball striker, but I thought I was a terrible green reader. After I did nothing but putt for 3 months and then continued with my solid putting practice I SUDDENLY became a great green reader, go figure! What comes first, the chicken or the egg? Go practice religiously for 3 months doing these drills EVERY day then come back and talk to me in 90 days. My bet is you will get the feel for reading greens correctly by then.

Those drills and games will work, anything that teaches you to hit plenty of SOLID putts will help you become a great putter.

While I agree with most of what you say and suggest, I will say that I disagree with the suggestion that once you can put a good roll on the ball that you automatically become a good green reader.

I used to be a +2 teaching Pro. I was truly an excellent ball striker and quite long off the tee. I spent a huge amount of time on the practice green and used all sorts or drills. I was still never a good green reader or putter. I could make putt after putt on the practice green after I knew what it did, but go to a new course and I was pathetic. I Still am. I am a wretched green reader and it actually got worse when I started wearing glasses for distance 2 years ago.

I Averaged 12 to 13 greens in regulation for many years and I still was just happy to just break par. It’s sad. I’m lucky to break 30 putts a round in stroke play.

However....Put me in putting 4th in a 4 man scramble and I’m deadly after I’ve seen it 3 times. Once I know what it does I can put it on the right line routinely.

I Played in a 4 man scramble last week and shot 59 and that was with two of my teammates so hammered by the end they couldnt see straight.

Having a good roll on the putter certainly helps your green reading, or at least gives you better confidence. Played way too many scrambles with guys that had dont roll the ball well and watching their putts same speed same line, break twice as much as guys that rolled the ball truly.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Good drills. My putting improved when I started spending 90% of my putting practice time inside 10 feet.

3 footers

5 footers

10 footers

I put hundreds of these putts when I practice. The longer putts are easier because you know that 3 footer coming back is going in.

I agree! I do the the 3, 5, 7 foot drill the most for sure, but I do like practice putting to no where (meaning no hole), it helps groove solid contact which is very important.

While I agree with most of what you say and suggest, I will say that I disagree with the suggestion that once you can put a good roll on the ball that you automatically become a good green reader.

I used to be a +2 teaching Pro. I was truly an excellent ball striker and quite long off the tee. I spent a huge amount of time on the practice green and used all sorts or drills. I was still never a good green reader or putter. I could make putt after putt on the practice green after I knew what it did, but go to a new course and I was pathetic. I Still am. I am a wretched green reader and it actually got worse when I started wearing glasses for distance 2 years ago.

I Averaged 12 to 13 greens in regulation for many years and I still was just happy to just break par. It’s sad. I’m lucky to break 30 putts a round in stroke play.

However....Put me in putting 4th in a 4 man scramble and I’m deadly after I’ve seen it 3 times. Once I know what it does I can put it on the right line routinely.

I Played in a 4 man scramble last week and shot 59 and that was with two of my teammates so hammered by the end they couldnt see straight.

Man, that sucks. What are you doing that you can't read greens? What do you look for, look at, etc?

Do you under or over read by a few inches or are we talking missing a 10 footer by 6 inches or more?

I can only speak for myself, but what you think you are or aren't, you will be correct.... therefore I can honestly say that I can read greens with the best of them. I don't use aim point, but I do use my visualization and imagination and if I read the putt correctly, chances are I am going to make it. I very rarely have more than 25-28 putts per round.

I never actually TRY to make putts, my sole objective is to "put a good stroke on it" and this is the mantra I use when I am standing over each putt. If it doesn't go in, I am not disappointed because that wasn't my goal

Golden

Yeah I see far too many golfers in general get upset when a good putt doesn’t go in. Guess what? You are playing outdoors on grass. A putting green isn’t a pool table. Accept it and move on. If you dwell on it it just gets in your head and eats you up.

Lots of thing I don’t like about Pelzs book, but the “lumpy doughnut” theory is eye opening.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I agree that having a good putting stroke does not make you a good reader of greens. There is no logic to that at all. Good putters read greens very well and they can judge speed well too. I would rather have this ability than a perfect putting stoke. You can't be thinking about mechanics when you are playing just like the full swing. It has to be 100% target.

I agree that having a good putting stroke does not make you a good reader of greens. There is no logic to that at all. Good putters read greens very well and they can judge speed well too. I would rather have this ability than a perfect putting stoke. You can't be thinking about mechanics when you are playing just like the full swing. It has to be 100% target.

If you don't have a stroke that repeats time and time again, how do you know it is a poor putt or a bad read? Reading greens is an art and not a science and that is why I have no desire to learn and use aim point.

Don't tell me you can't read greens until AFTER you commit and follow through with doing all these drills every day for 90 days. Reading greens correctly only matters once you learn to aim and hit your putts where you want them to start.... if you can't start your putts on your intended line, then you might be better off not being able to read greens correctly, your odds of making the putt might rely on you making an incorrect read :).

I agree that having a good putting stroke does not make you a good reader of greens. There is no logic to that at all.

If you do want to put some logic to it. . .you LEARN to be be a good reader of greens. This is an art, but it's an acquired skill. How do you learn that skill. . .by hitting putts on the line and speed you intend, and seeing how the ball reacts, then making adjustments off that to get the ball in the hole, then taking that new found knowledge to the course.

But what I really want to say is : there doesn't need to be logic to it.

FWIW, I know exactly what he's talking about. If you putt differently than that, fine, but what he wrote means something to me. In golf -- but at this website in particular -- people want answers to things. "If I do X, then Y should happen".

People want to turn putting into an equation "If I can identify the speed of the green, the exact slope of the green, the grain of the green, then get the length of my back swing right, the exact angle of the face, and hit the ball in the center, THEN the ball should go in the hole."

I know some people are going, "Of course. How else would you think about it?"

And, some people (or at least me), are going, "that's INSANE."

Green reading is easy : Balls roll down hill. They roll down steep hills faster. They roll down shorter grass faster. That's it. Now, go practice and PAY ATTENTION to what your putts do.

It's inconceivable to me, despite Jagpilothio's post, (I guess 97speedster just said this) that someone thinks they have a good stroke but reads poorly. I get it on an intellectual level, and sure sometimes I feel like I hit a good stroke, but I under-read or over-read the break, but in general, stroke and read are inseparable parts of the whole. People will ask me (or worse, tell me), "did you pull that one?" and I honestly don't know. I don't know if I pulled it or misread it. All I did was hit a putt that misded.

Or if I'm in a scramble and hit a good putt, they'll go, "how much break did you play?" and I really don't know. "ehh. . .I started it that way" and I'll point in a general direction.

I'm about to get into outer space here -- and I don't care if anyone understands me -- but when I'm putting well (and, I don't always putt well, but when I putt well, I putt WELL), my hands do things that my brain doesn't tell them to do. Like, I'll hit a putt off the heel, and go, "oops, bad stroke" and the putt will roll just slow enough to catch the high side and drop. Or, I'll hit a putt and think it's too hard and it will hold it's line long enough, or ram into the back of the cup and drop. This also happens on long putts. I'll hit a putt and think, "crap, that's 6 feet past" and it will stop next to the hole. And, the only way to acquire these superpowers. . .TOTG : Time on the Green.

This was Jordan Spieth after the 2015 Masters. . .

“When Justin had that birdie putt, then I had that slider for par, that’s when I really felt like it could get out of my hands if I’m not careful,’ said Spieth. ‘At that point, I was with my putter. I didn’t care what it looked like, didn’t care about my posture, didn’t care about the mechanics. It was all feel-based. I was seeing the line. I was seeing the arc of the putt. It had been the same thing on 15, and I was just going with it.”

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The harder I practice the luckier I get. The drills I give above WILL help you and train you to read greens correctly, if they don't then you will struggle to complete these drills in a timely fashion. These drills have taken me hours to complete and they have taken me 30 minutes to complete, but the shorter they have taken me the better I have putted on the course.

Golf and putting are not a science, and you need to have a very short memory of your misses in golf. I worked for Jack Nicklaus for 6 years and have played many rounds with him and he REFUSES to acknowledge his misses. Who knows if he truly remembers them or not, but he says he has never shanked a shot and I have seen him hit a shank, just like he says he has never missed a putt on 18 that meant something. Make it second nature to NEVER react emotionally to missed putt no matter how short it is and you will be on the path to becoming a better putter. I miss putts all the time, but I make SO many that I don't let a miss here and there bother me nor do I let it get in my head.

The KEY to these drills is they have a beginning and they have an end so each time you leave the practice green you should be leaving it accomplishing success and the more you do them the more you will build on that success and feeling of accomplishing a practice goal. The 3, 5, 7 drill WILL make you a great clutch putter, trust me, it did for me! Do these drills and forget about your past, start fresh and build your future as a great putter. If you want to argue about reading greens etc, at least wait 90 days to tell me you did all this and it didn't work for you ;).

Similar concept, I have been placing a tee in my left armpit while practice putting for quite a few years now. After a putting lesson where the pro was trying to figure out how to get me to release the putter every time, if my left arm separated from my torso on thru stroke ... I would block it out to the right every time. Practice green solution, tee under the left arm ... been a good aid for a while now.

Man, that sucks. What are you doing that you can't read greens? What do you look for, look at, etc?

Do you under or over read by a few inches or are we talking missing a 10 footer by 6 inches or more?

I’ve found it interesting over the years that many people think you must be doing something wrong if you can’t read greens. Some people simply read greens better than others. Period. It can only be taught to a certain point. The guys on tour are on tour mainly because of their putting and play around the greens. There are a ton of guys in the world with PGA quality ball striking but very few with a PGA quality putting and short game. To be truly gifted with the putter is a god given innate ability.

I just don’t see slope and undulation well. Some people do, some people don’t. I have a friend that’s a member here. He’s about a 7 index with perhaps the best putting and short game I’ve ever seen. One putts constantly. Gets up and down from everywhere. I call him “the Wizard”. If he had more time to commit to his game he would be a plus index in a matter of months. He doesn’t though. He’s an ER doc.

I ask him if he “sees” anything when he looks at putts, because he doesn’t ever say, “it’s a cup outside left”, or “it’s 8 inches off the right edge”. He said he just “sees” something like a little railroad track on the green in his head and he knows if he puts the ball on that track it’s going to go in. The speed is the only thing he thinks about to keep the ball on that imaginary track. Very cool. Unfortunately I never see the “track”.

We often Joke that if I could have his short game and he could have my ball striking and tee play, we would be virtually unbeatable in team play.

In golf -- but at this website in particular -- people want answers to things. "If I do X, then Y should happen".

It's not just golf, it's everything that is a blend of art and science. Among my many hobbies and occupations is trapping. There are some formulaic things that can result in a+b=animal caught but others like catching coyotes or fox...there's so much experience based things that you forget the many details if some one asks you why you didn't you did and where did you put that trap there. Your brain computer if you allow it to work can digest everything around to come out with a result that surprises students.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

If you don't have a stroke that repeats time and time again, how do you know it is a poor putt or a bad read? Reading greens is an art and not a science and that is why I have no desire to learn and use aim point.

Well that wasn't my point. I was just saying there isn't any logic to the premise that having a good putting would make you a good green reader.

Of course you still need to practice your stroke to make sure you are hitting the ball on the line you want. I call it target practice. Find a dead flat spot on the green no break and practice straight putts. After a while you'll sense as soon as you hit the ball if you pushed or pulled it. That "calibrates" your "aim" but out on the course I putt best when I visualise the line to the hole and just try to hit the ball to track that line.

I’ve found it interesting over the years that many people think you must be doing something wrong if you can’t read greens. Some people simply read greens better than others. Period. It can only be taught to a certain point. The guys on tour are on tour mainly because of their putting and play around the greens. There are a ton of guys in the world with PGA quality ball striking but very few with a PGA quality putting and short game. To be truly gifted with the putter is a god given innate ability.

I just don’t see slope and undulation well. Some people do, some people don’t. I have a friend that’s a member here. He’s about a 7 index with perhaps the best putting and short game I’ve ever seen. One putts constantly. Gets up and down from everywhere. I call him “the Wizard”. If he had more time to commit to his game he would be a plus index in a matter of months. He doesn’t though. He’s an ER doc.

I ask him if he “sees” anything when he looks at putts, because he doesn’t ever say, “it’s a cup outside left”, or “it’s 8 inches off the right edge”. He said he just “sees” something like a little railroad track on the green in his head and he knows if he puts the ball on that track it’s going to go in. The speed is the only thing he thinks about to keep the ball on that imaginary track. Very cool. Unfortunately I never see the “track”.

We often Joke that if I could have his short game and he could have my ball striking and tee play, we would be virtually unbeatable in team play.

It would seem that you lack feel. Seeing a track, to me, is being able to "see" the line based on your feel of what speed is needed. I've always been a pretty good putter. When I get out of my own way then I putt with more feel than anything. I see the putt, see the hole, line it up, and stroke it.

I grew up in Florida so reading greens was always pretty easy because the land is so flat. In Florida I look for slopes built into the green but also for drains. If there's water near the green then the putt will usually fall toward the water. But, I also look for drains. Some of these sneaky architects like to build greens that slope away from "normal" stuff. I get in trouble when I get into hilly terrain. Texas hill country and north Carolina give me fits, mostly with speed.

What have you tried over the years to improve (assuming it's bad) feel? When you practice putting, do you practice sloping putts and putt that putt on different lines with different speeds?

I assume you generally know which way a putt breaks depending on the slope and where the cup lies in relation to your ball and the slope...? Do you just have a hard time finding the fall line? Do you play in mostly hilly terrain or flat terrain?

Also, very random but...remember those posters that were in 2d but if you stared at the poster you could see it in 3d? Did you have a hard time seeing the 3d?