What can I do to improve my GIRs?

Learning to read divots and ball flight will be far more helpful than anything trackman can offer.

Good point, its as helpful as reading greens.

http://golftips.golfweek.com/read-divots-20062.html

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. How? Lay off golf 7 months, have a titanium hip ball replaced with a polyurethane one. Go out and play golf with friends, then hit 10/18 greens. True story and still can only guess why and how.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Thoughts while I wait on the group ahead of me: my compression is s***. I've been paying attention to the feel of my iron shots, not just distance/direction, and I'm thinning the majority of my irons.

Try putting the ball back in your stance.

Winter-Spring 2021

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 4W 16.5° Rogue White 70

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3Hy 20° KBS 70/80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° Modus 120

Srixon Z785 5i-AW Modus 120

Cleveland Zipcore 56.10 DG Spinner

P****** Teramo CS / SeeMore Mini Giant

I mean, a trackman would be helpful, but you're right - in my golf career I've only ever worried about direction and distance, never gotten to the point where I needed to stop a ball on the green, but now that I've improved this season and I *want* to be able to stop a mid iron on the green when needed, I have no idea how.

Two ways to get the ball to stop on a green. Either hit the ball high and have it land soft, or hit the ball with a lot of spin. And even then its hard to get a ball to stop on hard, fast greens. There is a third way, hit it short and let the ball bounce on and hope it bounces right and it doesnt run all the way off the back.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I mean, a trackman would be helpful, but you're right - in my golf career I've only ever worried about direction and distance, never gotten to the point where I needed to stop a ball on the green, but now that I've improved this season and I *want* to be able to stop a mid iron on the green when needed, I have no idea how.

Two ways to get the ball to stop on a green. Either hit the ball high and have it land soft, or hit the ball with a lot of spin. And even then its hard to get a ball to stop on hard, fast greens. There is a third way, hit it short and let the ball bounce on and hope it bounces right and it doesnt run all the way off the back.

Luckily for me, the greens are very soft right now. I still don't have my wedge distances good at all, but when I focused on moving the ball back a little and taking a divot (rather than just sweeping the ball off the turf), I was able to hold the greens with PW-7 irons on various shots today.

You have gotten a lot of good advice in this thread but it’s as if you aren’t willing to take any of it.

You say your chipping is ok and doesn’t need work even though you 3 chipped to blow breaking 90. It’s not disastrous but yet you cant get it close enough to sink a putt.

You need to improve your swing but you won’t post it for free advice. It’s easy to setup your phone and video. Your distances are off because your contact is inconsistent and you don’t know what distance any shot off any club is going to give you.

You also disagree that the tees you are playing aren’t too long even though you admit you can’t even get your short irons to stick.

You don’t need a trackman to get more accurate distance, you don’t need a new wedge to get spin. You need to make better contact, hit your chips closer and hole an occasional putt.

These guys here know what they are talking about.

You have gotten a lot of good advice in this thread but it’s as if you aren’t willing to take any of it.

You say your chipping is ok and doesn’t need work even though you 3 chipped to blow breaking 90. It’s not disastrous but yet you cant get it close enough to sink a putt.

You need to improve your swing but you won’t post it for free advice. It’s easy to setup your phone and video. Your distances are off because your contact is inconsistent and you don’t know what distance any shot off any club is going to give you.

You also disagree that the tees you are playing aren’t too long even though you admit you can’t even get your short irons to stick.

You don’t need a trackman to get more accurate distance, you don’t need a new wedge to get spin. You need to make better contact, hit your chips closer and hole an occasional putt.

These guys here know what they are talking about.

Nah, not disagreeing with most of it (all the lessons suggestions are annoying me a little). I implemented a lot of it in my round today, where I was sticking way more greens than I did yesterday. Focusing on hitting down on the ball and leaving a divot made a HUGE difference.

As for my chipping - I never said I wasn't working on it, it's just not as high a priority to me because I'm generally confident in it. I'll have one, maybe two holes a round where my chipping blows up, but generally I can get it close enough to 2 putt at worst every time. This even improved over the course of the week - I played four rounds in the last 5 days, and by today I had 4 chips I left with an easy one putt.

As for the video - I don't have anything more recent than a month ago, and my swing has changed a ton since then. Next time I'm at the range I'll get one - I usually golf solo, so no one to record for me. I've also been using a GPS phone app off the advice of users here, which was a massive help today.

I don't think the tees are too long though - My approach shots are a good mix of full wedges to 8 iron or so, with a couple longer holes over the course of the round (usually par 5s).

Vance, are the greens a bit small or sloped severely? My course is a bit old and not very long so the greens are murderous as one of the defenses designed into the course. There are also many water holes and lots of wind. Most holes you have to have a high descent angle into the green or run it up the front of the green otherwise you’re off the green and off the green is bad news there. Reading through all the comments and your responses, I’d like to suggest two names to research: Steve Stricker and Dave Pelz. Steve is a maniac with wedges and his technique is about as simple as it gets. Dave Pelz offers a scientific approach and explains how trajectory and contours affect your shot results, as well as describing just how important the short game is to playing good golf. ++ know how to hit to multiple distances. ++ learn how to hit multiple clubs to multiple distances (short irons) ++ try the flamingo drill to get a good feel for hitting irons with pressure on your front foot (helps with bottom of swing control, compression, and spin). I usually start my range sessions with the flamingo hitting around 10 balls, more I needed. You may not be de-lofting your irons at impact. There are times you should not de-loft as much but learning to de-loft will make you a batter ball striker. Better ball-striker means more GIRs. More GIRs means better scoring unless your putter sleeps around on you. Good luck man. You’re asking good questions and getting a lot of good advice here. By the way, pretty much everything everyone else is saying is right. This game is easy for people who can do all these things without realizing they are doing them. I don’t know too many of those people. I’ll finish with one of the best pieces of advice I’ve received. “Be as comfortable with the club in your hand as you are without it”.

Sorry one last thing, the type of grass, condition/age of the green and type of ball can have a pretty big influence on holding greens with your approaches. I play urethane covered balls for this reason. Anything else is a crapshoot at my course. Your grooves might have an effect but they would have to be pretty bad t not give you much spin.

I got out today and came a hair from finally breaking 90 - a triple on 17 was all that stood in my way. However, my stats from the round were weird as hell.

My drives were great until the last few holes - 9/13 overall. I averaged exactly 2 putts, which isn't terrible. However, I only hit a single green in regulation.

My chipping can be improved, for sure - I rarely left myself short putts to get the up and down for par, I was usually a good 15 feet out - but holy s***, I just could not hit the green with my irons. I'm not really sure how to fix this. My issue is both accuracy and distance. I have a general idea of my club distances, but nothing specific. Partly because I just don't know, and partly because my swing is inconsistent. When I got the distance right though, I was off line - almost always pulled left.

Aside from just playing more, what can I do on the range to give myself a better chance to hit the greens once I'm in the fairway (or teeing off on par 3s)?

Figure out your distance on one of your irons. All of the other irons should be about 10 yards apart. This is true for ppl swinging 80-120mph. Most guys hit thier 7 iron accurately 140-160 yards. Figure out where you land in there and do the math. And be honest with yourself, not macho. Golf is a game where the objective is to put a ball in a cup in as few strokes as possible. Imagine a world where bocce ball was a hugely popular game with a massive industry and tournaments played for hundreds of thousands of dollars. You would have the same group of idiots bragging and focusing on how far they could throw the damn bocce ball. But the guy who throws the balls closest the pallino wins. Learning how far you hit your irons is about as fundamental as it gets.

Figure out how short you hit it on a bad day and how far you hit it on a good day. The number between that is your distance. Trying to play an enire round with your 'sunday best' distance = poor golf.

Here is a chart to give you an idea of where you should be. If any of your clubs (besides driver) are significantly longer or shorter, you are probobly doing something weird in your swing.

One more thing. Tiger Woods always talks about how he focuses more on being 'pin high' on his approach shots rather than focusing on directional accuracy. So if he puts it in the bunker to the right of the green, but the distance was good, he is actually somehwat satisfied. Distance control is one of the most important and most overlooked things in golf.

CarryDistanceSwingSpeedChart.jpg

I got out today and came a hair from finally breaking 90 - a triple on 17 was all that stood in my way. However, my stats from the round were weird as hell.

My drives were great until the last few holes - 9/13 overall. I averaged exactly 2 putts, which isn't terrible. However, I only hit a single green in regulation.

My chipping can be improved, for sure - I rarely left myself short putts to get the up and down for par, I was usually a good 15 feet out - but holy s***, I just could not hit the green with my irons. I'm not really sure how to fix this. My issue is both accuracy and distance. I have a general idea of my club distances, but nothing specific. Partly because I just don't know, and partly because my swing is inconsistent. When I got the distance right though, I was off line - almost always pulled left.

Aside from just playing more, what can I do on the range to give myself a better chance to hit the greens once I'm in the fairway (or teeing off on par 3s)?

Figure out your distance on one of your irons. All of the other irons should be about 10 yards apart. This is true for ppl swinging 80-120mph. Most guys hit thier 7 iron accurately 140-160 yards. Figure out where you land in there and do the math. And be honest with yourself, not macho. Golf is a game where the objective is to put a ball in a cup in as few strokes as possible. Imagine a world where bocce ball was a hugely popular game with a massive industry and tournaments played for hundreds of thousands of dollars. You would have the same group of idiots bragging and focusing on how far they could throw the damn bocce ball. But the guy who throws the balls closest the pallino wins. Learning how far you hit your irons is about as fundamental as it gets.

Figure out how short you hit it on a bad day and how far you hit it on a good day. The number between that is your distance. Trying to play an enire round with your 'sunday best' distance = poor golf.

Here is a chart to give you an idea of where you should be. If any of your clubs (besides driver) are significantly longer or shorter, you are probobly doing something weird in your swing.

One more thing. Tiger Woods always talks about how he focuses more on being 'pin high' on his approach shots rather than focusing on directional accuracy. So if he puts it in the bunker to the right of the green, but the distance was good, he is actually somehwat satisfied. Distance control is one of the most important and most overlooked things in golf.

Per that chart, I'm somewhere in between 100 and 106, depending on the club. My driver usually gets out to 270 or so, depending on the roll (and quality of my strike), but my irons play a little shorter than the 106 column.

Per that chart, I'm somewhere in between 100 and 106, depending on the club. My driver usually gets out to 270 or so, depending on the roll (and quality of my strike), but my irons play a little shorter than the 106 column.

You mean you hit your drives 270 and you haven't broke 90? That seems hard to believe.

You should be in great position with just a short wedge for the 2nd shot on most par 4s.

Even mediocre wedges can still find greens from that short distance.

You mean you hit your drives 270 and you haven't broke 90? That seems hard to believe.

You should be in great position with just a short wedge for the 2nd shot on most par 4s.

I know several that can duplicate that feat even on our short course. Penalties and poor seconds and chipping are the destroyers of rounds.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I think I'll break 90 this season. When I was last playing seriously I was in 8-9th grade and only hit my drives about 210. This is the first year since then I've played more than a round or two in a season. I gained a ton of distance in the 9 years since then simply from being taller and stronger, but my iron play is really trash. On short par 4s I'll often hit a full wedge swing into the green, but even those I miss more often than I hit (my miss with a wedge swing is almost always short and right).

Move forward to the next tee box so the holes aren't as long. Shorter approach shots are the easiest and quickest way to improve your GIR, but you also need to spend time hitting to very specific targets with your irons on the range!

:golfer:

+1

Also work on increasing distance through fitness and or technique. Always easier to hit greens with wedges than 5-irons.