2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Should I be playing easier to hit irons?

vance astro

I just got back into the game seriously this year after 8-9 years of only playing once or twice a year. I was on a severe budget building my set again, so I got a set of used KZG irons off of Craigslist - these (http://www.golfreview.com/product/golf-clubs/irons/kzg/forged-ii-m-cavity-back.html)

My game is improving, I'm on the verge of breaking 90 finally, but my ball striking is still on and off. The set came with probably 2-3 different types of shafts and 2-3 different kinds of grips, which was unfortunate, but whatever - not going to get much better for sub-100 dollars. I was planning to reshaft them and keep playing them, until the 7 iron head went flying down the range, and they never found it.

I went to a used store and picked up a cheap replacement iron, which ended up being a Nike Covert Black VR_s cavity back-looking thing. And holy s***... this is so easy to hit. I have trouble getting enough compression on the ball to stick greens, but I was able to do it with this club without ever even taking it out to the range. I've never liked the look or feel of cavity backs, but now I'm reconsidering whether I'm actually good enough to play irons like the ones I've got. I'm probably going to be in the market for new irons sometime this summer (with a marginally higher budget, but still not buying new) and now I can't decide what to get... I was originally eyeing something like a few year old set of the forged Apex's, or a Mizuno set with a similar head shape, but should I just suck it up and play uglier clubs to hit better?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I prefer the look of thinner top lines and the feel of musclebacks (when I hit them well).

See if you can find some Bridgestone J40 DPCs. Super forgiving, really thin top line, blade-like offsets. They're really a special combination, sadly nothing currently produced matches them.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Going a long way back there's been some good looking cavity back irons, Titleist DCI 990 and 990B, 690CB, 695CB, AP2, 71x CB. Mizuno has had MP 30, MP 57, MP 60, MP 62, MP 63, MP 64. Taylormade has had some good ones with the RAC LT, RAC TP CB, MC. Callaway has had good stuff with the X forged series and the Apex Pros. And if we go even further back, Ben Hogan had a superb cavity back iron with phenominal feel in the Apex Plus (had a near new set a couple of years ago and regret selling them on BST here). There's plenty of good looking cavity back irons.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

Going a long way back there's been some good looking cavity back irons, Titleist DCI 990 and 990B, 690CB, 695CB, AP2, 71x CB. Mizuno has had MP 30, MP 57, MP 60, MP 62, MP 63, MP 64. Taylormade has had some good ones with the RAC LT, RAC TP CB, MC. Callaway has had good stuff with the X forged series and the Apex Pros. And if we go even further back, Ben Hogan had a superb cavity back iron with phenominal feel in the Apex Plus (had a near new set a couple of years ago and regret selling them on BST here). There's plenty of good looking cavity back irons.

I don't mind a lot of these, if I do decide to go for a more forgiving club it'll probably be something like that - a few year old Apex Pro/MP/some sort of TM. Forged is important to me, I like the feel too much, but as long as it doesn't have a thick chunky top line I'll live. Maybe I'll move to a combo set... more forgiving 4-6 or 4-7, and then thinner 8-PW.

I see you are in Ohio, Have you considered looking at Golfworks products? Reasons I bring them up.

- Located in Newark, Ohio - If you live anywhere near them, probably could get a fitting.

- Their forged heads *either the MMB17 or PTM might be to your liking even though the top lines might not be thin enough for you. These heads are forgiving without looking like large hammers.

- You can have them custom built for a very reasonable price. Look at their club paks. Many shaft choices.

- Research them and you'll find very positive feedback on their products.

15 hcp

Getting a proper fitting is always a good idea. If you like what you see on the Golfworks site and their facility is somewhat close to you, give them a ring about a fitting. When calling them, ask for Mark Masters.

Presently, I have the Maltby TE irons and various Golfworks wedges and can vouch for their quality.

However, there are alot of golfers I know who would not think of buying their clubs because they are not advertised on tv. :swoon:

15 hcp

aww the turmoil, kinda like buying a new car. I like the way it drives but the wheels don't suit my eye. https://www.ebay.com/i/332535819663?chn=ps. less expensive than buying a whole new set.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

aww the turmoil, kinda like buying a new car. I like the way it drives but the wheels don't suit my eye. https://www.ebay.com/i/332535819663?chn=ps. less expensive than buying a whole new set.

I've seen a few like that, I've been keeping my eyes peeled... I feel like I'm too irrationally picky to just have one club be a different model as a long term option though, hah. Maybe I'll throw up a BST post and see if anyone has one for sale.

Get a new set, it's like driving a clunker but you feel better driving a new car

Have you seen prices on new sets?! They've gotten ridiculous I swear

He meant new 'to you', as in upgrade from your KZGs to the best looking $300 set you can find.

If that's your budget and you're just looking to get back into the game, I wouldn't invest in a fitting. Yes fittings are great, but if your golf budget is $300 and you spend $100 on a fitting, you're pretty SOL when it comes time to shop. If you're getting back into it, your swing is going to adapt over the next year anyways.

There were some suggestions above, all of which are solid choices, I'd only add the Srixon 545s, as they are forged cavity backs that people rave about, with no bright colors, frills, or plastic all over them, are about 2 years old, and global golf has a 5-PW set right now for $330.

Check craigslist, facebook marketplace, global golf, 2ndswing, callaway preowned, ebay, etc and you should be able to find something ~2 years old, with up to date tech, and looks you like in that range.

Best of luck.

I've found that Bridgestone forgings seem to be about the easiest to hit for their given size ... not sure why. I would buy anything from J33, J36, J38, J40, and obviously J15. If they are in good shape, and have a shaft that fits your swing, you will be happy.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

You should play what makes you the happiest, if score dictates that then choose accordingly, if sensation From well struck shots Gives you the most pleasure chose that.

Easy

Hopefully they both might be the same iron !

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

If you are on the verge of breaking 90, that means that you are a 90 shooter?

Get a set of used "ugly" AP1's - the ones from 2012 - the 712 models - should be inexpensive. Make sure you get a shaft flex that works for you. You will find out how easy the game can be with game improvement clubs.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Yes and take lessons. If both aren’t in your budget, go with the lessons. I just broke the club junkies oath by posting this. The CA meeting are working!!!

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

... I say this over and over again. You should play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play. "Effectively" means different things to different players. Someone like Tiger that wants complete control over every shot he takes and has the ability to hit the center every single time, effectively needs MB's. Your local Club Champ played Ping G400 because he does not hit the center every time and needs a little trajectory help but is obviously still a very good player and wants all the forgiveness he can get.

... And of course the most effectively forgiving club you can play needs to suit your eye. If you hate the way it looks, sooner or later you will doubt it's performance. I have always thought those with no feel or eye for detail are at a huge advantage picking equipment as they will just choose whatever gives them the best results whether that is a thin sole and thin topline or a wide sole and thick topline. Their beauty comes from the ball flight and performance, not the look of the club. My advice is keep pushing the envelope toward more forgiveness until you find your sweet spot.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

If the result is beautiful then who cares what the tool looks like?

I consider myself very tolerant iro how a club looks but admit there are some designs I just could not purchase.

I don’t like the M4s because the sole looks huge. Hit them great but won’t buy them. Glad there are other irons that work as well, like the G700s and my preference, the AP1s.

But that my eyes preference.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0