How can I stop my wrists from rolling over?

I still can't seem to get a handle on the feeling of my wrists hinging, not rolling over to create a ridiculously flat backswing, and I think this is causing the pull/hook miss that I get with almost all my clubs. The severity of the rolling gets worse the longer the club, and the hook does too. Even when I feel like I'm practically bringing the club straight over my head video shows it's still very flat, and I'm lost at this point with how to stop it.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben Hogan once told Kris Tscetter to not worry so much about her takeaway (she thought she was taking it too flat and inside)... and he pointed to Ray Floyd, who had just won the U.S. Open.

I personally have a flat takeaway, but I lift the arms later in the back swing to get into a decent position at the top.

Bottom line...you can still hit good golf shots with that type of takeaway if you can do other things well.

Blogging about all things golf on my blog at [url="https://www.scottcolegolf.com"]Scott Cole Golf[/url]. Will be getting back to teaching part time in 2019!

Ben Hogan once told Kris Tscetter to not worry so much about her takeaway (she thought she was taking it too flat and inside)... and he pointed to Ray Floyd, who had just won the U.S. Open.

I personally have a flat takeaway, but I lift the arms later in the back swing to get into a decent position at the top.

Bottom line...you can still hit good golf shots with that type of takeaway if you can do other things well.

I generally agree with you, but my takeway is ugly. I couldn't get my phone set up on my bag in a good way to take a video, but here's one from today where you can at least get an idea.

https://streamable.com/dqwae

Why are you even thinking about your wrist's rolling or not rolling over ? what i'm seeing in your video is a lot of tension in your set up and swing. Your athletic and flexible enough.... RELAX.

Go watch Annika Sorenstam on youtube, simple stuff, proper sequencing of the swing, ball flies straight down the fairway.

Got to trust your setup, visualize the ball flight to the target and swing.

The rolling over, too inside and flat is not the problem. Your release pattern doesn't match it that's all. Do Monte's zipper away drill first to start the downswing then snap left wrist so it's flat while rotating hard with your core through the shot. I've found this to be the only downswing that works consistently with the flat backswing.

Looking at your swing I don’t think the issue is rolling over you wrist. I think the issue is related to your swing path, and that your wrist rolling is your mind trying to square the club face. Try taking the club away on an inside path. Either that or focus on keeping the club head as close to the ground as possible during your takeaway.

Callaway Rogue 9.5
Titleist 915 F2 15
Titleist H2 19
Taylormade M2 4h 22
Mizuno HM Pro 5-PW
Mizuno T7 50
Mizuno T7 55
Callaway PM 60
Odyssey #1

This happens for a reason. You can’t just stop doing it. Post a video and we will see why.

I posted a poorly-angled video above, that I took yesterday, but aside from that here's the only other video I have - about a month and a half old, but it looks like my swing hasn't changed as much as I thought.

https://streamable.com/7k86j

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.